PG Music Home
Posted By: Riccled What is this life? - 03/13/17 06:50 PM
Hi folks.
Just finished this new song,using the Folk Fiddle real tracks,with SampleTank 3 and Arturia B3V after setting up the song in BB,I think it's both interesting and funny too.

https://soundcloud.com/riccledy/what-is-this-life
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: What is this life? - 03/13/17 10:50 PM
Hey Riccled, Nice work on this! Really smooth violins in this, and great vibe. Well done! smile
Posted By: Riccled Re: What is this life? - 03/14/17 05:28 AM
Hi Joe.
Thanks,yes the RT violinist earned his beer for that part lol,I liked using the 'soul oohs' soundfont for the harmonies,been using that sound for 12 years or more,still sounds great.
Thanks again.
R.
Posted By: bluage Re: What is this life? - 03/21/17 05:01 AM
Dear "Riccled"...

Your song, "What Is This Life", was quite arresting. The mood and feel of the music reminded me of Pink Floyd's hypnotic track, "Us and Them", from their "Dark Side of the Moon" album, only with a laid-back, country kind of vibe.

Your lyrics are another matter altogether! I agree with you that the lyrics are "funny" because of the scenes they describe, but what struck me the most was how your rhymes tied things together:

"The rain was falling down my roof
The house I'd hoped that was waterproof..."

And then...

"The next door neighbor
Struggling with his bike
A strong wind gustin' all around
Thinkin' when to strike"

I found those lines rather neat, as they observe little slices of life that sum up the tone of the song, which for me seems to be about the small struggles with fate, with those annoying, sometimes maddening obstacles that seem to crop-up in our path even when we're not asking for anything in particular from life...

Sometimes things pile-up on us so swiftly and implacably that we end up scratching our heads and asking ourselves, "What Is This Life?", not in despair, but with exasperation of the "Why me?" kind.

On the production side, I really like the choral accompaniment. The "ooo's" sounded like an actual female voices.

All in all, it's a memorable song that "freezes time", or slows it down just enough to enable us to examine how absurd our existence is, but only now and then.

LOREN (a.k.a. "bluage")
Posted By: Scott C Re: What is this life? - 03/21/17 11:23 AM
Very cool backtrack and super job on the lyrics and vocal. Well done
Posted By: Riccled Re: What is this life? - 03/22/17 05:54 AM
Hi Loren.
Yes I am pleased with that song,as I am an amateur poet I can do verses reasonably well and I like to vary the mood of my songs for variety.
Glad you like it,do check out some of the 'soundtracks ' as they have a considerable affection for me,I love their evocativeness,synthesizers give you an amazing array of tones,which increase the colour possibilities enormously,so I am using them in my current symphony,along with traditional instruments.

Very grateful to you for your interest,keep on listening.
R.
Posted By: Riccled Re: What is this life? - 03/22/17 05:56 AM
Hi Scott.
Thanks mate,yes it's doing well this song,very pleased.
R.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: What is this life? - 03/22/17 10:54 PM
Glad to hear that! Well done! smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: What is this life? - 03/23/17 03:14 PM
Very pleasant listen!! The song rolls along with such a nice vibe. Music is infectious and your vocal on this is perfect for the feel. Really nice! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Riccled Re: What is this life? - 03/24/17 05:28 AM
Thanks Greg.
Glad you liked it.
R.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: What is this life? - 03/24/17 08:31 AM
Great attention to detail, both lyrically and with your arrangement. You've put together a nice picture of life in your song. A lot of fun listening to your song.

Charlie
Posted By: 44kfl Re: What is this life? - 03/24/17 11:17 AM
Very cool backtrack and super job on the lyrics and vocal. Well done
(from Scott C)

totally agree with what Scott had to say

and it does have that Pink Floyd feel

maybe with a little Lou Reed mixed in

Kenny
Posted By: Riccled Re: What is this life? - 03/25/17 05:47 AM
Thanks guys,I'm very pleased that this song has done well,and very happy with the comments too,great stuff!

R.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: What is this life? - 03/26/17 03:42 PM
Riccled, I also picked up a kind of Pink Floyd vibe in this one. Some neat chord changes as well. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Riccled Re: What is this life? - 03/28/17 04:44 AM
Hi Torrey.
Yes it seems loads of people hear a Pink Floyd feel,must be a subconscious thing as I hardly know any of their music!
Glad you like the track.

R.
© PG Music Forums