PG Music Home
Man in the moon

This one started out being a demo that Chris sent me with her playing piano but ended up being a guitar song, worked better without the piano. I changed the chord progression somewhat from her original and also came up with the bridge, but everything else, melody and lyrics was written by Chris.

Still not 100% happy with the mix, so any comments on that are appreciated!

The Band:
Drums: Song starts with POP12/8and switches over to BluesRock12/8 at the bridge for the remainder of the song (bar 33)
Bass: 1922
Rhythm guitar: 1924
In addition I added two rhythm guitar tracks (tele) and the lead guitar (strat)

MAN IN THE MOON (lyrics by Christiane Spruit, 2017)
V1
In the still of the city lies
Like a baby you're sleeping tight
And the face of the moon above
is spying
V2
And it seems he is calling your name
and I feel my limbs getting lame
and the face in the moon above
keeps smiling
CHORUS:
Man in the moon
Man in the moon
can't get no sleep and I wake up too soon
Man in the Moon
Man in the moon
is there a way to come over to you

Short instrumental break

V3
We're Collecting the stars above
and the way will be long enough
be aware to be part of what
is fading
V4
and the new day is dawning weak
and the hope is arising steep
they who dare, staying brave in me
are not dying

Bridge
In the glow of light
we are expecting to see deamons fly
But the angels are guiding the night
into the the moonlit sky
And the eye of the sky
maybe asking me why am I
expecting to have all of the time
tonight
CHORUS:
Man in the moon
Man in the moon
can't get no sleep and I wake up too soon
Man in the Moon
Man in the moon
is there a way to come over to you

Guitar solo outro

Song also up on soundcloud, here: Man in the moon (soundcloud)
Chris/Dave,

Cool song.

Chris' vocal is really nice. Guitar leads are sweeeet! Good drums.
The rhythm guitars at the beginning seem "a bit thin" - but then work once the vocals take over. I thought the lead could be a bit louder.

Really enjoyed this.

fj
I really like modern blues songs like this. I agree with floyd about the thin guitars in the beginning and the overall lead guitars being too soft. I also though the vocals in the chorus need to be louder. they seemed to drop back a bit. I also noticed the dryness of the snare. A touch of verb would help there. Well written and performed by you both. I really liked it. Tom
love the feel and the melody flows nicely

love the guitar especially on the outro

Kenny
Wowser. What a cool tune. super vocal lyric. Guitar dancing in the background was excellent work..... Super tone....

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Chris/Dave,

Chris' vocal is really nice. Guitar leads are sweeeet! Good drums.
The rhythm guitars at the beginning seem "a bit thin" - but then work once the vocals take over. I thought the lead could be a bit louder.

fj

Originally Posted By: tommyad
I really like modern blues songs like this. I agree with floyd about the thin guitars in the beginning and the overall lead guitars being too soft. I also though the vocals in the chorus need to be louder. they seemed to drop back a bit. I also noticed the dryness of the snare. A touch of verb would help there. Well written and performed by you both. I really liked it. Tom

Wow, great feedback Floyd and Tom! Ok, I've just uploaded a new mix that I think covers everything you two mentioned. I'll revisit it in a couple of days with fresh ears, my ears are pretty much blown out at this point.

Thanks again, I appreciate it! smile
Hi BlueAttitude, Fantastic work on this! I found this quite easy to listen to and lovely singing too. Well done! smile

Nice song very well sung and played.

Sergio
Chris & Dave,
I liked the mood of this - excellent vocals from Chris and tasty lead... both of which we expect from you & they are still a pleasure to listen to.
You`ve had some good feedback on the mix; the drum change was very noticeable to me which does give a kick to the bridge.

Robert
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

Kenny

The outro bit is my favorite part too, thanks Kenny!
Chris and Dave,

A very expressive song. Good work.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wowser. What a cool tune. super vocal lyric. Guitar dancing in the background was excellent work..... Super tone....

Thanks very much, Scott! Yeah, had as much fun with the rhythm part as I did playing the leads on this one.
Enjoyed this from start to finish. This is a quality write, performance and production. The lead guitar and vocals are both top notch. I'm liking this song a lot.

Charlie
Nicely done.

Good ripping tone on the guitar.
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi BlueAttitude, Fantastic work on this! I found this quite easy to listen to and lovely singing too. Well done! smile

Thanks, Joe!

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Nice song very well sung and played.

Sergio

Thanks for the listen and comment, Sergio!
"and the new day is dawning weak
are not dying"

Great lines!

Nice write and vocal/guitar (lead and rhythm) performances.

The word "classy" comes to mind.

Yep, we like it!

J&B
Chris and Dave, I like blues and I sure like this. This song has that classic blues vibe with a great vocal that works with your leads very well. This song puts in mind of some of John Fogerty's early work with CCR (The first 2-3 albums) reminiscent of their version of "I put a spell on you". Man I love that stuff!! That music is where I learned to play. Great job and I know you are still tweaking it but it sounds great to me. Take care, Torrey.
Chris & Dave

Great stuff - the new mix sounds good. Some lovely licks in the outro.
Top quality all round.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Chris & Dave,
I liked the mood of this - excellent vocals from Chris and tasty lead... both of which we expect from you & they are still a pleasure to listen to.
You`ve had some good feedback on the mix; the drum change was very noticeable to me which does give a kick to the bridge.

Robert

Thanks very much, Robert, we appreciate that!
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Chris and Dave,

A very expressive song. Good work.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks guys!
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Enjoyed this from start to finish. This is a quality write, performance and production. The lead guitar and vocals are both top notch. I'm liking this song a lot.

Charlie

Thanks so much, Charlie! Means a lot to read those comments smile
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Nicely done.

Good ripping tone on the guitar.

Herb, I've been using the Scuffham Amps S-Gear amp simulator for the last few months. I know you are not a fan of amp sims, but this one is a little different than the rest IMHO. He concentrates on getting great sounding amp tones instead of adding tons of FX like the other guys do, I've always been a guitar plugged direct into the amp kind of guy anyway, so a good fit.

Anyway, I love it! Best $125 I ever spent. It was Tom Adams that turned me onto S-GEAR BTW, I saw in a post a few months ago that he uses it so I downloaded the demo and was instantly hooked.
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"and the new day is dawning weak
are not dying"

Great lines!

Nice write and vocal/guitar (lead and rhythm) performances.

The word "classy" comes to mind.

Yep, we like it!

J&B

Awesome comments, thanks guys! smile
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Chris and Dave, I like blues and I sure like this. This song has that classic blues vibe with a great vocal that works with your leads very well. This song puts in mind of some of John Fogerty's early work with CCR (The first 2-3 albums) reminiscent of their version of "I put a spell on you". Man I love that stuff!! That music is where I learned to play. Great job and I know you are still tweaking it but it sounds great to me. Take care, Torrey.

Thanks so much, Torrey!
Yeah, I love that early CCR stuff too, classic! That music is also what started me playing lead guitar, that repeating riff in "Green River" is actually just the blues scale, descending. Once I had that figured out lots of other stuff started falling into place.
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Chris & Dave

Great stuff - the new mix sounds good. Some lovely licks in the outro.
Top quality all round.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the listen and the comments!
Very nice! Really enjoyed the guitar work. Really nice overall sound.

Really like this one!

Steve
Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Very nice! Really enjoyed the guitar work. Really nice overall sound.

Really like this one!

Steve

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Steve, it's appreciated! Happy you liked it.
Dave,

This is a great song - has a very unique feel and vibe (in a good way). Good mix and vocals as well.

Bob
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

Kenny

Love the feel! Guitar is so sweet! Very cool song! Take care. Greg
That`s really a nice song and well produced. Cool to hear something in 6/8 again!

Sandra
Really cool tune. Love the vibe and some great chops both vocally and with the lead riffs on guitar.

Nice and brooding. Well written and arranged.
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave,

This is a great song - has a very unique feel and vibe (in a good way). Good mix and vocals as well.

Bob

Thanks for the listen and the nice comments, Bob! We appreciate it smile
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Love the feel! Guitar is so sweet! Very cool song! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg!!
Originally Posted By: Sandra Sherman
That`s really a nice song and well produced. Cool to hear something in 6/8 again!

Sandra

Thanks for giving this a listen, Sandra! I'm a fan of your playing and your music, so nice to get feedback from you smile

Interesting that you say 6/8, that shows that I am not a schooled musician I guess. I think of it as being 12/8, 12 beats in the bar. My songwriting partner Christiane on the other hand also calls it 6/8, so two against one smile
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Really cool tune. Love the vibe and some great chops both vocally and with the lead riffs on guitar.

Nice and brooding. Well written and arranged.

Thanks!
© PG Music Forums