PG Music Home
Posted By: Froi I Will Praise Him - 04/29/17 07:28 AM
Here is another song I remixed using BIAB:
https://soundcloud.com/froilan-g-villegas/i-will-praise-him-remixed

I have my friend Sarah to interpret the song.

Below are the details of the tracks
Drums: RealDrums=NashvilleEven8^1-SideStick, Ride
Bass: ~701:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNoteSync Ev 085
Guitar 1: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
Guitar 2: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
Guitar 3: 2650:Guitar, Electric, Background DreamyPopBalladFillsBrent Ev 085
Strings: 2457:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085

The vocal and guitar solo tracks were recorded using Acid Pro 7. These tracks still need some fine tuning but I just would like to share how I used BIAB to do the remix.

I'm open to any suggestions to improve the whole mix.

I hope you'll like it.
Posted By: TLMelvin Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/29/17 10:30 AM
I'm not an expert but I really liked it. The mix sounded good as well as your guitar playing. The vocals were excellent. Well done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/29/17 12:12 PM
Hi Froi and Sarah,

A very pretty inspirational song. It's well-written and Sarah's vocal is perfect for the song. She sounds terrific on the high falsetto.

I like your guitar lead but would like it even better with a little less fx on it. It's otherwise very pretty and needs to shine on its own (minus the fx). Just a personal opinion.

You and Sarah have a great song here. Wishing you both the very best,

Alan & Di
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/29/17 09:14 PM
Hi Froi,

Like those before me, I enjoyed the listen. You have a very engaging song and Sarah has such a beautiful voice. These make it very easy to sit back and simply ride along on the sound.

I notice you mentioned about ideas for improvement... with this in mind... it occurred to me as I listened is that I would have like to hear Sarah's vocals a little stronger (maybe 0.5 - 1.0 dB) in the early part of the song. As I thought more about this, though, I found myself wondering if it might have been better if Soundcloud's compressing had been kinder to your upload.

Just in case you aren't aware of this.... every time one uploads to Soundcloud, Soundcloud will compress the song file using its own compression routine. To get the very best outcome from this, it's a good idea to upload an uncompressed WAV version of the song. Soundcloud accepts this. Therefore, when you render a mix from your DAW, save it as WAV. (I use 44.1 kHz, 16 bit.) If a song is compressed prior to uploading, it will get re-compressed when Soundcloud takes control of it. I've found that this double compressing can seriously reduce quality. While uploading a WAV takes quite a bit longer than an mp3, I believe that the improved quality is worth the wait!

Hope the above is useful for you.
Noel
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/30/17 09:31 AM
Sounds great! A wonderful way to start off a Sunday and get ready for church!

smile

Nice guitar, by the way.
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/30/17 10:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
I like your guitar lead but would like it even better with a little less fx on it. It's otherwise very pretty and needs to shine on its own (minus the fx). Just a personal opinion.

Thanks for the suggestion. This also reminded me to record the guitar and even vocals raw and add the effects in the DAW later on. This makes the recording more flexible. smile
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/30/17 10:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I notice you mentioned about ideas for improvement... with this in mind... it occurred to me as I listened is that I would have like to hear Sarah's vocals a little stronger (maybe 0.5 - 1.0 dB) in the early part of the song. As I thought more about this, though, I found myself wondering if it might have been better if Soundcloud's compressing had been kinder to your upload.

Just in case you aren't aware of this.... every time one uploads to Soundcloud, Soundcloud will compress the song file using its own compression routine. To get the very best outcome from this, it's a good idea to upload an uncompressed WAV version of the song. Soundcloud accepts this. Therefore, when you render a mix from your DAW, save it as WAV. (I use 44.1 kHz, 16 bit.) If a song is compressed prior to uploading, it will get re-compressed when Soundcloud takes control of it. I've found that this double compressing can seriously reduce quality. While uploading a WAV takes quite a bit longer than an mp3, I believe that the improved quality is worth the wait!Noel

Thanks. I'll increase the volume when I re-render the song to audio again.

I uploaded a compressed version of the song because it took me almost forever when I uploaded a WAV file before. But I agree with you. It would be worth the wait.
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/30/17 10:53 AM
Thanks David Snyder!!!
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/30/17 09:51 PM
Thanks also to you TLMelvin. Sorry, I miss you out in my post earlier.
Posted By: Sundance Re: I Will Praise Him - 04/30/17 11:24 PM
I'm listening on a cheap tablet with my husband's Senn HD 25 headphones. I totally enjoyed every minute of the song - wonderful arrangement, super harmonies and Sarah's voice is downright angellic!

Josie
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/02/17 06:40 AM
Thanks Josie. I'll relay your message to Sarah.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/02/17 06:07 PM
Another very pretty song!! Vocal is very nice. Very soulful performance. How are you recording/processing the vocal? Very enjoyable listen!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/02/17 07:09 PM
Deleted as the reply was meant for another song. We'll be back to leave a comment on this one in just a bit. DUH!

ALan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/02/17 10:58 PM
Froi, beautiful and uplifting song you have put together! The vocal is great also. Good job! Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/03/17 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Another very pretty song!! Vocal is very nice. Very soulful performance. How are you recording/processing the vocal? Very enjoyable listen!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg.

I use Boss VE-2 as my interface for now and planning to get an IK Irig Pro someday. Though it has built-in effects for harmonizing, I just use the reverb for recording. The vocal track was originally recorded using Acid Pro 7 but I used GarageBand in the final mix. I added compression and an effect called spread. I'm planning to get Logic Pro X this month as an upgrade to GarageBand.
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/03/17 03:09 AM
Thanks! smile
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/03/17 03:55 PM
As someone else said - the best word to describe this I would say is 'engaging!' Thank you for sharing this, Froi - you have a beautiful voice!
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/03/17 10:58 PM
Thanks Deryk.

I wrote the song but it was sung by my friend Sarah. I'll let her know of your kind words.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/04/17 12:10 AM
Froi,

This is a beautiful song of praise! Good job on the arrangement, and Sarah did great on the vocals!

Glad to have you on the forum!

Steve
Posted By: Froi Re: I Will Praise Him - 05/04/17 06:19 AM
Thanks Steve. smile
© PG Music Forums