PG Music Home
This Wall
© 2017 Kenny Leverett

Janice has long wanted to sing a waltz...Bud was slow in writing one and, voila, Kenny (44kfl) asked her to sing a lovely composition of his. We were both amazed with the stark emotion of what he sent us and we did our best to do it justice. I was honored when he asked me to mix it.

So here's only the third J&B for 2017 -- sheeesh time is flying by this year.

We always much appreciate your time to listen and comment!

Bud (J&B)

Thanks to Janice for letting me take (and use) the SC photo grin

Janice: lead and harmony vocals / Nectar 2
Kenny: harmony vocals and arrangement

Drums: NashvilleWaltzSw / Neutron / Nectar 2 EMT Plate Reverb
Bass RT 1121: Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085 / Neutron
Guitar RT 2053: Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryWaltzBrent Sw 085 / Neutron / Nectar 2 EMT Plate Reverb
Piano Midi SuperTrack 1891: Solo-accompaniment CountryWaltz 085 / Logic Pro X Grand Steinway / Neutron / Nectar 2 EMT Plate Reverb / Ozone Imager
Piano Midi SuperTrack 2259: Rhythm CountryWaltz 085/ Logic Pro X Grand Steinway / Neutron / Nectar 2 EMT Plate Reverb / Ozone Imager
(The final piano track was comped from multiple generations of the above two tracks)
Mastering: Ozone 7 Advanced

The lyric is on SC page.

I had a sneak peak at this yesterday. Another beautiful vocal Janice. And what beautiful song from Kenny. Awesome collaboration. Super mix Bud everything sits in the song just perfectly
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/04/17 11:17 AM
What can I say, I didn't write this for Janice. I thought of her

after I was unhappy with my version, thought she might

consider trying it. I was so blown away with this "bent-note"

treatment of the song. I knew that she'd do a fantastic vocal

but I couldn't bring out the piano in the mix without compromising

other things. That's where Bud comes in, don't underestimate what

he brings to this. He made the piano and guitar much better and yet

kept what I consider the "star" instrument, the bass clear as a bell.

Tremendous mix, Bud, you are a pro! This was a great experience,

one that I hope I get to do again. It is a pleasure working with two

such wonderful people.

Kenny
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/04/17 12:21 PM
A singers singer

Janice, I couldn't imagine anyone singing

this better.
OMG!! This is great!!

All around awesomeness. Great song, lyrics, vocals, passion, production.

This one has it all guys!!!

Killer vocals Janice.
Excellent! I first heard it yesterday too, got the heads up via the soundcloud stream page that you had uploaded a new one.
Cut and paste from what I said over on soundcloud:
Good song! Well written/arranged/produced. Vocal of course is as good as it gets! Great tone, so warm. Also like the harmonies, the way they were brought into the mix.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I had a sneak peak at this yesterday. Another beautiful vocal Janice. And what beautiful song from Kenny. Awesome collaboration. Super mix Bud everything sits in the song just perfectly

Scott, thanks for the nice comments. Kenny wrote a heckuva tune!

J&B
Well done to the three of you!
I enjoyed the ache in this which the graceful melody makes the most of. I love the way a waltz sweeps you along and the simple clarity of the arrangement here is just right - I agree with Kenny that Bud`s alchemy in the production shines through.
The vocal is something special, as we know to expect from Janice... but those understated ooohs at the close: magic.

Robert
Hi Janice & Bud, fantastic work on this! Love the vocal harmonies and layering of instruments. Always a pleasure to hear your pieces. Well done! smile
This is about "as good as it gets".

Stellar performances by all three of you.

Bud - gorgeous mix! to the point that you don't even THINK about it (the mix) as you listen to this. It is just...RIGHT. (no surprise there).

Kenny - this is a beautiful song. To the point that you can't really pick any part that is better than the rest. Nonetheless:

"Chill in the air love isn’t fair
How did we find ourselves here
I missed the signs
Wasted my time
Letting you just disappear"

So fine. The chorus is perfect. This may be your best. And THAT is saying something!

Janice - I think this is your best vocal ever. And THAT is saying A LOT. Goosebumps.

This is like listening to The Eagles "doing what they do" to Tom Waits' "Ol 55".

Stunningly beautiful.

floyd
It just doesn't get much better than this

Well done to all coming together to make such a fine piece of art

John
This is a great song, sung by a great singer, with a great sound. Kenny, your best write! Janice, it's the combination of feeling plus the technique of how you get in and out of notes that sets you apart from the ordinary. The little things that you do vocally make it very special. Bud, Great job on the mix and the sound of the piano and the overall track. I'm 100% all in on this one. Tom
Posted By: ROG Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/04/17 07:38 PM
Hi Kenny.

Just fabulous.

An inspired piece of writing and so VERY professional throughout.

Janice. You bring a special quality to everything you sing and you still bring me out in goosebumps.

Bud. A perfect mix. Everything in it's own space, but working so well together. Magnificent.

Loved the whole thing. Congrats to all involved.

ROG.
Janice Bud & Kenny
Lovely! A truly stunning production.

Kenny - a brilliant write.
Bud -great production skills lovely and clear mix - excellent.
Janice - spine tingling and just superb artistry.

Wonderful.

Peter
Beautiful and sad J&B/Kenny! Wonderful production by all involved. The vocal is performed and produced in a flawless fashion. The arrangement and instrumentation is unarguably professionally done. Thanks, Torrey.
I think Robertkc had the perfect word for this - graceful. We couldn't agree more.

What a wonderful piece of writing by Kenny. of course we knew Janice would knock it out of the park - which she did. This is one of her very best, if not "the" best vocal we've heard from her. And Bud, the mix sounds better than what comes out of many Nashville studios. Three pros sounding like pros. We're not sure what else to say except simple wonderful!

Alan & Di
H
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
OMG!! This is great!!

All around awesomeness. Great song, lyrics, vocals, passion, production.

This one has it all guys!!!

Killer vocals Janice.

Thanks for listening David. We appreciate you.

J&B
Janice / Bud / Kenny,

This is an outstanding production. A beautifully written song, crystal clear pro mix, and delivered by one of best voices around today...

Bob
Catching up on my User Showcase Forum listens this morning. First song was Floyd's "One True Heart" and now this.

There is absolutely no reason to ever turn to regular radio station again.

A top notch write, performance and production. A wonderful collaboration and an absolute joy to listen to.

Charlie
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/05/17 12:40 PM
Scott C, David, Dave, Robert

thanks for mentioning me, I couldn't go wrong

when I put this song in Janice and Bud's hands.

Kenny
WOW, another killer song!! Just listened to Floyd's One True Heart, and then this. The forum is on fire!! This Wall, and Floyd's tune belong on the forum's wall of fame. This is a beautiful write (Kenny constantly blows me away), with wonderful heartfelt emotion. AND, who better to deliver a ballad than our own Janice, master vocalist. And, Bud has always had some of the best production. This is an A Team delivering at their best. Absolutely love it!!! Great job all!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent! I first heard it yesterday too, got the heads up via the soundcloud stream page that you had uploaded a new one.
Cut and paste from what I said over on soundcloud:
Good song! Well written/arranged/produced. Vocal of course is as good as it gets! Great tone, so warm. Also like the harmonies, the way they were brought into the mix.

Thanks! We all appreciate that. And a shoutout to Kenny for the harmony arrangement you mentioned.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Well done to the three of you!
I enjoyed the ache in this which the graceful melody makes the most of. I love the way a waltz sweeps you along and the simple clarity of the arrangement here is just right - I agree with Kenny that Bud`s alchemy in the production shines through.
The vocal is something special, as we know to expect from Janice... but those understated ooohs at the close: magic.

Robert

Robert we greatly appreciate such a nice review. We knew the moment we heard it that we wanted to be part of it. "Ache" is a great one word description. We felt that from Kenny's original and Janice tried to also convey it. Thank you!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Janice & Bud, fantastic work on this! Love the vocal harmonies and layering of instruments. Always a pleasure to hear your pieces. Well done! smile

Joe, it's always great to hear from you PG Music folks! We appreciate you checking in and comment very much.

J&B
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/07/17 12:54 AM
Thanks floyd for the kind words on the write

and for noting probably my favorite lines from it.

Kenny
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is about "as good as it gets".

Stellar performances by all three of you.

Bud - gorgeous mix! to the point that you don't even THINK about it (the mix) as you listen to this. It is just...RIGHT. (no surprise there).

Kenny - this is a beautiful song. To the point that you can't really pick any part that is better than the rest. Nonetheless:

"Chill in the air love isn’t fair
How did we find ourselves here
I missed the signs
Wasted my time
Letting you just disappear"

So fine. The chorus is perfect. This may be your best. And THAT is saying something!

Janice - I think this is your best vocal ever. And THAT is saying A LOT. Goosebumps.

This is like listening to The Eagles "doing what they do" to Tom Waits' "Ol 55".

Stunningly beautiful.

floyd

floyd, your review has made us feel that this relatively new musical journey we've been on for the last several years has been worth all the time (and occasional frustration) that has gone into it. Given your singer/songwriter and production cred we are deeply appreciative.

J&B
Originally Posted By: jyonks

John

Thank you. We appreciate the support!

J&B
Beautifully done!
Hello, Kenny, Janice & Bud

Very beautiful waltz tune.
Very good melody.
Janice's vocal is perfect.
The Jacket photo of this song on soundcloud is also wonderful.
I think this collaboration is the most successful one.
The vocal is very fitted to this melody.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: tommyad
This is a great song, sung by a great singer, with a great sound. Kenny, your best write! Janice, it's the combination of feeling plus the technique of how you get in and out of notes that sets you apart from the ordinary. The little things that you do vocally make it very special. Bud, Great job on the mix and the sound of the piano and the overall track. I'm 100% all in on this one. Tom

Tom, you lit Janice up like a Christmas tree! Everything about your review gives us joy and more confidence...particularly so with your track record of such high bar productions.

Thank you!

J&B
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/08/17 04:10 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Kenny.

Just fabulous.

Janice. You bring a special quality to everything you sing and you still bring me out in goosebumps.

Bud. A perfect mix. Everything in it's own space, but working so well together. Magnificent.

ROG.

Thanks ROG for the kind words

Always love to hear from you.
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Kenny.

Just fabulous.

ROG.

ROG, your wonderful review brought a BIG smile to the two of us and I'm sure also to Kenny. We know you have a very keen ear and are an accomplished artist and producer and that means a lot to us. Thank you!

J&B
So very well done! From the write to the production. And Janice' vocals are spot on.

And the vocal vamp at the end is marvelous!

congratulations to everyone!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/09/17 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice Bud & Kenny

Wonderful.

Peter

Thanks Peter

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Beautiful and sad J&B/Kenny! Wonderful production by all involved. The vocal is performed and produced in a flawless fashion. The arrangement and instrumentation is unarguably professionally done. Thanks, Torrey.

Thank you Torrey,
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice Bud & Kenny

Wonderful.

Peter

Reviews like this make it all so enjoyable and are great confidence builders. We appreciate it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Torrey, thanks for the positive and supportive comments. It means a lot to us and we appreciate your time to listen and comment.

J&B
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/11/17 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: jyonks

John

Thanks John,

so glad to see you here

appreciate the listen and kind words

Kenny
Originally Posted By: Al-David
I think Robertkc had the perfect word for this - graceful. We couldn't agree more.

What a wonderful piece of writing by Kenny. of course we knew Janice would knock it out of the park - which she did. This is one of her very best, if not "the" best vocal we've heard from her. And Bud, the mix sounds better than what comes out of many Nashville studios. Three pros sounding like pros. We're not sure what else to say except simple wonderful!

Alan & Di

Thanks y'all for such a nice review. When somebody drops a song like this in your lap you gotta give it your best. We are happy that you feel we did it justice!

J&B
You're welcome J&B! Always great to hear your work smile
Posted By: RnAM Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/13/17 08:32 PM
Oh my...
We're really late to this party....
But what a treat it is!
Such lovely vocals of Janice and a beautiful musical arrangement.
Top notch!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Kenny,

This is an outstanding production. A beautifully written song, crystal clear pro mix, and delivered by one of best voices around today...

Bob

Thanks Bob for everything you said and your support. Janice is still smiling!

Bud
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Catching up on my User Showcase Forum listens this morning. First song was Floyd's "One True Heart" and now this.

There is absolutely no reason to ever turn to regular radio station again.

A top notch write, performance and production. A wonderful collaboration and an absolute joy to listen to.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie for the kind remarks and your support. It is much appreciated.

J&B
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/15/17 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Kenny,

Bob

hey Bob, thanks for mentioning me on the write!
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW, another killer song!! Just listened to Floyd's One True Heart, and then this. The forum is on fire!! This Wall, and Floyd's tune belong on the forum's wall of fame. This is a beautiful write (Kenny constantly blows me away), with wonderful heartfelt emotion. AND, who better to deliver a ballad than our own Janice, master vocalist. And, Bud has always had some of the best production. This is an A Team delivering at their best. Absolutely love it!!! Great job all!! Take care. Greg

Greg, you are one amazing ballad writer, arranger and singer so your remarks are all the more meaningful to us. And, yep, Kenny wrote a beautiful tune. What a gift to be asked to work with it.

Thank you!!!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Beautifully done!

Thanks Josie!

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Kenny, Janice & Bud

Very beautiful waltz tune.
Very good melody.
Janice's vocal is perfect.
The Jacket photo of this song on soundcloud is also wonderful.
I think this collaboration is the most successful one.
The vocal is very fitted to this melody.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shifeki for the nice review and also for mentioning the photo. We appreciate your comments very much.

J&B
Originally Posted By: gruverider
So very well done! From the write to the production. And Janice' vocals are spot on.

And the vocal vamp at the end is marvelous!

congratulations to everyone!

Thanks Lawrence and, man, your current song is over the top great!

J&B

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Oh my...
We're really late to this party....
But what a treat it is!
Such lovely vocals of Janice and a beautiful musical arrangement.
Top notch!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks you two -- praise coming from folks of your talent is very much appreciated!

J&B
Janice, Kenny and Bud,

This is truly a wonderful piece of music. I found myself so caught up in the lyrics, the music and, above all, Janice's incredible vocals that I didn't even think about what I was hearing. I was a prisoner of the hauntingly beautiful sound and story that I was hearing.

It's been mentioned above but I need to say it again, music does not get any better than this. It honestly doesn't.

Kudos to each you. You deserve every accolade that comes your way.

All the best,
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice, Kenny and Bud,

This is truly a wonderful piece of music. I found myself so caught up in the lyrics, the music and, above all, Janice's incredible vocals that I didn't even think about what I was hearing. I was a prisoner of the hauntingly beautiful sound and story that I was hearing.

It's been mentioned above but I need to say it again, music does not get any better than this. It honestly doesn't.

Kudos to each you. You deserve every accolade that comes your way.

All the best,
Noel

Noel, you are a masterful ballad writer and performer. We deeply appreciate your review!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: This Wall - A Kenny Leverett (44kfl) write - 05/21/17 01:51 AM
Thanks from me too Noel,

for those very kind and thoughtful words

Kenny
© PG Music Forums