PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Oh By The Way - 06/03/17 11:13 AM
Oh By The Way..

For this one I did something unusual. I came up with a piano riff, and then I used ACW in BIAB to tell me what I had just played. The chords turned out to be a cool progression. So I used that progression in section 1, inverted it in section 2, and turned it upside down for the chorus.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel/oh-by-the-way

After doing a pre-master with my own bag of tricks I did a final run through with the Lurssen Mastering Console. Have fun. smile

Oh By The Way
By David Snyder

V1

Oh by the way
This world’s a prison
So I climbed over the walls
And I drive hard against the rain
I can no longer
See what I’m missing
It’s just the forest and the trees
The fog has settled on the leaves
Settled on the leaves

V2

And there’s a rumbling
Beneath the surface
I don’t know what it is
or what it really means
But I am walking through these catacombs
And I can tell it isn't home
I can tell it isn’t home

V3

Oh by the way
I am an orphan in the universe these days
So I am searching
for a place to call my home
We are deserted, and disregarded
And there’s no one useful
on the phone
no one useful
on the phone
no one useful
on the phone

CH:

Hello my children
Come join the circus
I think you know that it’s the only show in town
If you can find it
Your higher purpose
Then could you lead us please to slightly higher ground
Oh could you lead us please to slightly higher ground
Yes could you lead us please to slightly higher ground

Inst.

V4

We fight for water
But I am thirsty for things
This world cannot satisfy
Run for the border
If you can find it
Maybe you’ll find an angel walking by your side
Run for the border
If you can find it
Maybe you’ll find an angel walking by your side

All words and music copyright 2017 by David Snyder, ASCAP/Day of Faith Records

David Snyder: Vocals, piano, synthesizers, orchestration, production, arrangement and mastering.

****** Song Summary *************

Title: Oh By The Way

Style is _DUBSRCK.STY (Alt Dubstep and Rock[70RS])

RealTracks in style: 2298:Bass, Synth, DanceRockBuzzBass Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1742:Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopRaveStringsHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1527:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopPowerBrightClean Ev 120
Loop in Style: HipHop\Old School - gangstar_beat_95b ev16 quiet.wav
RealDrums in style: TechnoElectro^GH-a:HatSnap, b:Snap

(Viola RT in intro with David Snyder on Piano)

Attached picture Lurssen.jpg
Posted By: ROG Re: Oh By The Way - 06/03/17 11:46 AM
Hi David.

Great track! Why am I left thinking Pink Floyd?

These are the sort of lyrics to which everyone manages to relate, but to which everyone applies a different meaning. Very deep.

Loved the whole feel of the track and was impressed with the chord sequence.

Excellent mix in the phones and on the mains.

Most enjoyable.

ROG.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Oh By The Way - 06/03/17 11:56 AM
David,

I've have been enjoying all of your edgy songs lately. They have a bite and presence that really looms large, in addition to the excellent vocals and production values.

Awesome!

Bob
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Oh By The Way - 06/03/17 05:11 PM
David, I like the way you think outside the box (no pun intended). You constantly explore the limits and boundaries of the program and make things work in a nice way. I liked that chord progression in those verses. I was reminded of Led Zep in this. Thanks, Torrey.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Oh By The Way - 06/03/17 06:22 PM
Well David, this took us by surprise that.... emotional side of you grin
Nuf said, simply beautiful!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: PeterF Re: Oh By The Way - 06/03/17 06:39 PM
David

Sounds great - nicely put together and I particularly liked the chorus.
Great work and interesting arrangement.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 08:32 AM
Very creative and different, as always!
Intro is great. Neat progression and cool the method you used to generate it.

Lots of great lyrics, my favorite line is "Oh by the way
I am an orphan in the universe these days"

Nice one, David!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 10:14 AM
Thanks ROG,

That is a wonderful compliment and really made my day. So glad you enjoyed it!!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 10:14 AM
Thanks Bob,

Just trying to keep up with ya man. smile

Glad you enjoyed it!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 10:15 AM
Thank you Torrey. I have been really loving your new songs as well!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 10:16 AM
Hey Rob and Anne-Marie,

I know, I know, it is hard for me to show my emotional side, but sometimes I break through.

smile

Thanks for the kind words!!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 10:17 AM
Super track David. I am with Rog on this one. Was thinking Pink Floyd as well. Very creative piece well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 10:19 AM
Awesome song.

Awesome songwriting. One of your best, I think. There are wonderful lines throughout this...

"So I climbed over the walls
And I drive hard against the rain..."

"I am an orphan in the universe these days..."

"We are deserted, and disregarded
And there’s no one useful
on the phone..."

"could you lead us please to slightly higher ground..."

"We fight for water
But I am thirsty for things
This world cannot satisfy..."

...to mention a few.

Super band! Great use of the boys in the Box.. and your own additions...

Well put together. Good mix. An excellent listen - truly...

fj
Posted By: tommyad Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 12:13 PM
David, very interesting the way you put this together. Some great lyrics worthy of many listens. I believe this is your best vocal. Really delivered the song. A super listen that I enjoyed a lot. Tom
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Oh By The Way - 06/04/17 10:39 PM
Major Sound!

love what's going on here,

it is a really good vocal

I thought of Peter Gabriel, listening to this

very dream like lyrics

some dark and even sarcastic, some slightly hopeful

that's just what I got out of it, it's open to many interpretations

enjoyed it

Kenny
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/05/17 10:30 AM
Ok, Kenny, so by mentioning Peter Gabriel, you just made my life!!!

Thank you so much!!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/05/17 10:31 AM
Thank you Peter!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/05/17 10:31 AM
Thanks Dave!!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/05/17 10:32 AM
Thank you Scott! Pink Floyd will do!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/05/17 10:33 AM

Thank you buddy!!! That means the world to me!

I am really glad you enjoyed it. Awesome is good.

smile

Thanks again Floyd.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/05/17 10:34 AM
Thanks Tom!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Oh By The Way - 06/05/17 06:52 PM
Truly exceptional stuff!! So creative, so interesting. That groove is infectious and your lyrics are abstract but compelling (John Lennon kind of thing). I could have listened to this song go on for another 10 minutes. Really extraordinary work David!! Always look forward to your creative compositions! Take care. Greg
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Oh By The Way - 06/06/17 04:08 AM
Hello, David

Very unique chord progression!
However, it's wonderful there is no place where the melody is failing.
I agree with Torrey. You constantly explore the limits and boundaries of the program and make things work in a nice way.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Oh By The Way - 06/06/17 11:24 AM
"could you lead us please to slightly higher ground"

Really. Not the highest just a bit higher.

Helluva write, vocal and production. The amount of creativity in this is staggering. And it shows throughout every aspect of the production.

We like intelligent writes that are not overly intellectualized and allows the listener room to connect some personal dots.

Excellent.

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Oh By The Way - 06/07/17 05:44 AM
Sorry to be so late getting to this but Di is very sick and it has consumed most of my time.

Wow! What a full, big sound! And your vocal is outstanding. This great in every way we can think of. So many "big" songs on the forum is this is one of the best. Outstanding in every way. We're on our second listen as I type this. We're very impressed, to say the least.

Alan & Di
Posted By: lambada Re: Oh By The Way - 06/07/17 09:13 AM
I enjoyed this. The lyrics are intriguing. Early Pink Floyd meets Joy Division.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Oh By The Way - 06/07/17 12:11 PM
Wow, this is a really unique piece David! From the chord progression, to the lyrics, this is a wonderful song. Thanks so much for sharing!

Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/11/17 11:36 PM
Thanks Greg! Next time I will make a 20 minute for you man.

Thanks so much for the kind words!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/11/17 11:37 PM
Thanks Shigeki!

I am really glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the very kind words.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/11/17 11:38 PM
Thanks Janice and Bud,

I am so glad you enjoyed it!

I am having so much fun doing this.

It does feel kinda illegal to be having this much fun.

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/11/17 11:39 PM
Oh, my heart goes out to Di. I hope you feel better soon Di!

Thanks for the very kind words as well.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/11/17 11:40 PM
Wow Lambada, Joy Division!!! Yes! You are so right!

Long time since I thought of those guys, Should go dig up my tapes!

smile

Thanks for the insights and kind words.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/11/17 11:41 PM
Thank you Deryk,

I am so glad you enjoyed it!!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Oh By The Way - 06/12/17 08:56 AM
David,

Once more it seems that you take a left turn when the street sign says to turn right!

There's no doubting it, creativity takes you along roads that few of us have ever discovered. As others above have said, there are some incredibly vibrant lines in these lyrics. "I am an orphan in the universe" was particularly rich with imagery for me.

The overarching sound of your mix is excellent! It sounds like Lurssen really packs some punch.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Oh By The Way - 06/12/17 09:49 AM
Ok David, I don't comment very often on your songs, or really many songs at all. I've been treating the showcase more like a radio station that what it is probably meant for...interaction.

So, here we go. I enjoy your songs a lot. They always stretch my thinking and break me out of the totally commercial world I live in. You are very artistic in what you do. It's fun to hear someone express themselves so freely; and with so many varied ideas.

The best way I can express this feeling to you is...
I say something like "You think SO outside the box!"
You say "Dude...that's not a box"
Mind blown, matrix moment. smile

Thanks, as always, even if I haven't expressed it. Working on that!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/14/17 12:21 AM
Thanks Noel,

That really means a lot! I appreciate your "overarching sound" comment. That is what I was striving for! smile

Yeah, that Lurssen mastering program does work quite well. Very impressive piece of software. Thanks for the listen!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/14/17 12:23 AM
Thanks Hear to Learn!

Love the matrix comment/analogy! smile

That made my day. It was kind of the matrix piecing this together. It is the first song I have ever staged in overlapping parts.

Tricky but fun. So glad you like it!!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Oh By The Way - 06/14/17 07:51 AM
An interesting parallel to me in your musical craft is the maturity I see between you as a songwriter and a songwriter with Band in a Box.

You with Band in a Box is similar to the change of Lennon and McCartney and George Harrison when they transitioned from a touring band to a studio band with unlimited time in the studio. Their creativity was not fully released nor realized until they abandoned touring and went full time into the studio to play and experiment.

I'm unsure if your weak link to greatness might be nothing more than you haven't been harnessed by someone like George Martin as they were. Over time, we learned George Martin was much more instrumental and influential than what was once thought. I think Band in a Box is your Abbey Roads Studio.

This song is a great example of you experimenting and playing around, testing the bounds of what you can pull out of BIAB and doing this with more complexity and creativity than you realize. You can be quirky, funny and serious with your lyrics and creative in your musical arrangements. This song is a great example of you and your music. Band in a Box is more than a tool to you, it's your creative gateway.

Charlie
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/14/17 09:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
An interesting parallel to me in your musical craft is the maturity I see between you as a songwriter and a songwriter with Band in a Box.

You with Band in a Box is similar to the change of Lennon and McCartney and George Harrison when they transitioned from a touring band to a studio band with unlimited time in the studio. Their creativity was not fully released nor realized until they abandoned touring and went full time into the studio to play and experiment.

I'm unsure if your weak link to greatness might be nothing more than you haven't been harnessed by someone like George Martin as they were. Over time, we learned George Martin was much more instrumental and influential than what was once thought. I think Band in a Box is your Abbey Roads Studio.

This song is a great example of you experimenting and playing around, testing the bounds of what you can pull out of BIAB and doing this with more complexity and creativity than you realize. You can be quirky, funny and serious with your lyrics and creative in your musical arrangements. This song is a great example of you and your music. Band in a Box is more than a tool to you, it's your creative gateway.

Charlie

Charlie, this is just about the most most amazing thing I have ever read with regard to Band in a Box, my musical journey, and my use of Band in a Box.

PG Music, feel free to excerpt this anywhere you want. smile

Charlie, this is so insightful I don't even know where to begin but I will take a stab.

First I am a huge Beatles fan, and of McCartney in particular. Pre-Box in a Box (i.e. before Herb Hartley told me to get out my credit card and it would be the best move I ever made) I was always very frustrated in getting the sounds I wanted as an artist.

From my very first package (2014 basic pack with maybe 29 Real Real Tracks) I felt like a kid in an Indiana Jones movie stumbling into a treasure cave with the lost fortune of a Pharaoh. I was stunned and said to myself "Oh My God, there's no limit now. There really is no limit. Look at all those piles of gold. Holy cow."

It did not take long to get my credit card back out and order the ultra pak, and soon came the audiophile versions and every VST known to man.

So, yes, absolutely, I am totally obsessed with the worlds, galaxies, parallel universes, and distant planets Band in a Box has made available. There is no question that the tool (as a virtual studio) has become my songwriting partner and producer. On this song, I wrote a piano riff, asked the program what I was doing and it kinda suggested the chord progression. How much more George Martin or Abbey Road can you get?? Even my brother (who is a professional producer) said the same thing. He said: "It looks like you managed to cram Abbey Road into one room here dude."

So yeah, I am composing with a robot for a buddy, but loving every single second of it, and completely, madly obsessed.

I would also say, just hang on man. You ain't seen nothing yet. I'm just getting warmed up.

smile

Thanks a billion for the comments Charlie. They really blew me away. Very insightful.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Oh By The Way - 06/14/17 04:09 PM
hi David nice work with biab great lyrics this is a very good peace it has a strong engaging effect on the listener good vocal ever thing fit perfect thanks for sharing eric
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/18/17 09:47 PM
Thanks F.M.M., I really appreciate that!! Hope you had a great weekend and so glad you enjoyed the songs!

smile
Posted By: dcuny Re: Oh By The Way - 06/19/17 08:11 PM
Definitely hearing more Pink Floyd than Beatles. wink

Nice - melodic with strong lyrics.
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Oh By The Way - 06/20/17 05:49 PM

Very nice listening and great production.
You've been very able using those effect and putting them in the song.

Great result.

Sergio
Posted By: Al-David Re: Oh By The Way - 06/21/17 04:05 AM
Hi David,

Well, I left a comment over on the Soundcloud track but it appears I never came back here to follow up with a comment. Di's health is really bad and have been attending to that plus all the domestic chores. She had a pretty good day today.

Anyway, this is very creative and what a splendid production! Your vocal is great and this is just so danged good! What a treat! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/21/17 09:56 AM
Thanks Al and Di! Stilling continuing to remember both of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hope Di starts to get better and feel better soon!!! Sending lots of love and positive vibes your way.

Hang in there!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/21/17 09:56 AM
Thank you Sergio!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/21/17 09:57 AM
Everybody keeps saying Pink Floyd! Well, I guess I will have to live with that!

Thanks Dave!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/21/17 09:59 AM
Thank you so much Floyd!!! Your kindness is always appreciated.

Just trying to keep up with you my country brother, though I know it is an impossible task!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/23/17 04:48 PM
Wow! Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! Glad you liked it!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 06/26/17 09:30 AM
Thank you man, that means a lot!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Oh By The Way - 06/29/17 04:10 PM
Your song is like a wonderful mash-up between modern music and classic rock ( the vocals in specific ). It goes really well together!

Keep up the awesome work!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 07/02/17 01:12 PM
Thank you so much Ember!!! I really appreciate that. You may be new to PG Music, because I have not seen your name before, and if so welcome to the forum!!!!!

Thanks again for your kind words, they really made my day!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Oh By The Way - 07/02/17 01:52 PM
David,
that was a very interesting song on multiple levels! Good job!

First of all, I thought that your approach of starting with a pattern then reverse engineering it into a chord pattern yielded results that sound quite original. I don't think it would be easy to achieve a similar sound just by typing in a bunch of chords then generating a style over the chords in BIAB.

Secondly, I think your use of loops also works to create a unique sound for your song. As a result, I don't think the average person would guess that this song was created with BIAB.

Thirdly, I think your lyrics for this song are very interesting for a variety of reasons. They remind me of Beatle-esque lyrics that could make sense in more than one way, depending on your interpretation.. but at face value the listener has to wonder if they make sense at all.

All in all I think you've come up with something very good here. It is highly listen-able, and it has a very good and unique sound.

One drawback of a chord progression in which the chords keep changing with a single descending note is that you have to take extra pains with your melody, or you're bound to create half-step dissonance between your melody and your chords. I think this song has that dissonance. Maybe it was your intent. However I think that a melody that was written to stay true to those interesting chords would have been even more powerful

Or not. At the end of the song, the writer has all of the creative control. You make the decisions, then the audience says whether or not it worked for them. My report is that the songs construction worked very well ... so well it's hard to put it into words. But, I didn't think the melody was refined enough to become the crowning glory of this excellent song.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Oh By The Way - 07/02/17 05:46 PM
Thank you Pat,

Nice to hear from you again. It's been a while.

Thanks for the insights. Nice to hear from you as always. Hope you are well.
© PG Music Forums