PG Music Home
Posted By: ROG Something Going On - 06/04/17 12:45 PM
Hi Folks.

This is a song about a guy who's wife is cheating on him, or he may just be paranoid.

It started out simply enough in Realband with just RD-Hip Hop drums, RT628 Bass and RT587 Sax, but then it started to get complicated. I added two tracks of horns using Forte and a trumpet track using Edirol Orchestral and it started to sound a bit Average White Band. Then I added a piano using the old DX7 and it went a bit Shakatak. I took the track over to a friend's place to add a track using his Farfisa Compact Duo, which fortunately happened to be working at the time and then started looking at a melody. This really ate up the tracks. Each phrase was recorded separately and used four stacked tracks each, some of them being recorded through my 80s Syntovox vocoder for that period effect. Total number vocal tracks = 28. Another three tracks of guitar ornamentation were added and then the original drum track was replaced with a midi programmed track.

So here it is, at last, and many thanks to anyone who has the time to listen.

SOMETHING GOING ON
I thought that we were cool
I thought that we were strong
You must think I'm a fool
Because there's something going on
Yes there is
Something doesn't feel right.

You just don't treat me right
You know you treat me wrong
There's gonna be a fight
Yes there is

Sometimes I come home early
And find that you're not home
Sometimes I walk in and you hang up
When I see you on the phone.

Cheers, ROG
Posted By: rsdean Re: Something Going On - 06/04/17 12:54 PM
ROG,

Wow! This is outstanding! I hear the Average White Band vibe, but I also hear a very cool Bowie undertone to this song. The production is off the charts... Great vocals as well.

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: tommyad Re: Something Going On - 06/04/17 12:59 PM
ROG, You've done it again. A really catchy well put together rock song. The vocals are out of this world good. The stops are perfect. The horns are great. The guitar ornamentation-just right. Going for my third listen. A pro quality mix and just a really cool track! Tom
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Something Going On - 06/04/17 05:47 PM
ROG,

This is a great listen. And it requires several listens - there is so much going on...

Great opening. Funky. The horns are cool.

There is a great synergy between the vocals, horns and guitars. The bass is outstanding. The drums are nice. Excellent vocals.

It is easy to tell that someone "spent some time" on this... Great mix...

Actually... EVERYTHING feels right!

floyd
Posted By: Scott C Re: Something Going On - 06/04/17 07:02 PM
This is a super track. Loved the intro. Really gets you into the song. Vocal and lyric were excellent... Guitar was very cool.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Something Going On - 06/04/17 10:53 PM
Killer mix and arrangement

every thing sounds so good

love Bob's AWB reference, haven't heard anyone mention them in a while

you always seem to put together great rock, pop, good driving energy songs

enjoyed

Kenny
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Something Going On - 06/05/17 06:41 AM
ROG, man, what a production! So much stuff happening here, killer job on the mix to make it all work. Love the vocal treatment, very cool! And the stops with the bass playing though them. Nice, tasteful playing on the guitar too (love the tele in your profile pic!)

Enjoyed everything about this!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Something Going On - 06/05/17 07:38 AM
Rog

Superb arrangement - wonderful horns, and overall just really infectious.
Great work.

Peter
Posted By: jannesan Re: Something Going On - 06/05/17 03:08 PM
Really groovy funk rock! Not heard enough on this forum smile Fantastic production, horns, drums, bass, vocals, everything works!

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Something Going On - 06/05/17 07:02 PM
WOW!!! Alan Parsons meets AWB meets The Beatles, and a whole lotta ROG thrown in there. Great story about the way it all came together, and it came together JUST RIGHT!! Absolutely LOVE IT!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Something Going On - 06/05/17 11:17 PM
This is a nice write and production. Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Something Going On - 06/06/17 02:55 PM
What was the total number of tracks? I can't imagine.

Eight tracks make my hair hurt.

The backstory on how it all came about is fascinating -- even if I only understand about 25% of it!

What to say? It's terrific. The vocals are over the top and, man, does that RT bass line drive it. Everything you and your BiaB players put into this is tremendous.

Like floyd said it takes several listens to begin to hear all the goodies.

And, hey listeners, if you haven't yet CRANK this one UP. It filled our room with the killer mix. Huge.

Yeah, something is going on, and it's a helluva song.

J&B

Posted By: Al-David Re: Something Going On - 06/07/17 05:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

The backstory on how it all came about is fascinating -- even if I only understand about 25% of it!

What to say? It's terrific. The vocals are over the top and, man, does that RT bass line drive it. Everything you and your BiaB players put into this is tremendous.

And, hey listeners, if you haven't yet CRANK this one UP. It filled our room the killer mix. Huge.

J&B

Janice & Bud said everything that matters. What a cool song! Absolutely loved the horns and the complimentary guitar licks sat perfectly with everything else. And yep, we cranked this puppy up and sat back and smiled! Great work, ROG!

Like Janice & Bud, your explanation of how you put this together went a little over our heads - well, for us simpletons (Di & me), it was *WAY* over our heads! But, it ended up fabulous! Standing "O"!!!

Alan & Di
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/07/17 07:03 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
ROG,

Wow! This is outstanding! I hear the Average White Band vibe, but I also hear a very cool Bowie undertone to this song. The production is off the charts... Great vocals as well.

Excellent!

Bob

Many thanks, Bob. Love your own work and value your opinion, so really pleased with your kind review.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/07/17 07:05 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
ROG, You've done it again. A really catchy well put together rock song. The vocals are out of this world good. The stops are perfect. The horns are great. The guitar ornamentation-just right. Going for my third listen. A pro quality mix and just a really cool track! Tom

Hi Tom.
It's always a good sign if someone goes back to listen again! Pleased you liked it and thanks for the review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/07/17 07:09 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ROG,

This is a great listen. And it requires several listens - there is so much going on...

Great opening. Funky. The horns are cool.

There is a great synergy between the vocals, horns and guitars. The bass is outstanding. The drums are nice. Excellent vocals.

It is easy to tell that someone "spent some time" on this... Great mix...

Actually... EVERYTHING feels right!

floyd

Hi Floyd.
I don't think I've had "synergy" in a review before!
That bass RT is really what started the ball rolling with this one. What did we do before RTs?
Always appreciate a listen (or two) from you and many thanks for the kind review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/07/17 07:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is a super track. Loved the intro. Really gets you into the song. Vocal and lyric were excellent... Guitar was very cool.

Hi Scott.
Many thanks for the listen and review. Glad you liked it and much appreciated.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Something Going On - 06/08/17 09:59 AM
Roger ;-),

First, my compliments on such a bright and powerful mix. How do you manage to get these loud levels? If we try something like that in Cubase the sound will distort....
It is true this has some Alan Parsons influences in it, but it's got slightly more power ;-)
Your vocals are always smooth, professional and creative. They shine once again here.
True power pop!

Rob
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Something Going On - 06/08/17 01:24 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Folks.

This is a song about a guy who's wife is cheating on him, or he may just be paranoid.

It started out simply enough in Realband with just RD-Hip Hop drums, RT628 Bass and RT587 Sax, but then it started to get complicated. I added two tracks of horns using Forte and a trumpet track using Edirol Orchestral and it started to sound a bit Average White Band. Then I added a piano using the old DX7 and it went a bit Shakatak. I took the track over to a friend's place to add a track using his Farfisa Compact Duo, which fortunately happened to be working at the time and then started looking at a melody. This really ate up the tracks. Each phrase was recorded separately and used four stacked tracks each, some of them being recorded through my 80s Syntovox vocoder for that period effect. Total number vocal tracks = 28. Another three tracks of guitar ornamentation were added and then the original drum track was replaced with a midi programmed track.

So here it is, at last, and many thanks to anyone who has the time to listen.

SOMETHING GOING ON
I thought that we were cool
I thought that we were strong
You must think I'm a fool
Yes there is

You just don't treat me right
You know you treat me wrong
There's gonna be a fight
Yes there is

Sometimes I come home early
And find that you're not home
Sometimes I walk in and you hang up
When I see you on the phone.

Cheers, ROG

Hi Rog, Great work on this! Very fun and funky! Great progression. Well done!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Something Going On - 06/08/17 06:45 PM
Hi ROG,

This is great! I am not sure what Floyd meant by "synergy" because I don't know big words like that but I am sure it means good.

To my ears it was funkalogical. And by this I mean you have it all going on. Also it was funkagorical and funkalicious. Those are the only big words I know but I do know that George Clinton will nod his head when he hears this one and say:

"That was funkaholic man."

Groove on my funky brother. Groove on!!!!!!

smile
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Something Going On - 06/09/17 03:54 PM
ROG,

This really cooks! Love that bassline as well.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/09/17 07:00 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Killer mix and arrangement

every thing sounds so good

love Bob's AWB reference, haven't heard anyone mention them in a while

you always seem to put together great rock, pop, good driving energy songs

enjoyed

Kenny

Hi Kenny.
I've been a fan of AWB pretty much since they appeared on the scene. Fabulous musicians. Many thanks for the listen and the kind words. Much appreciated.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/09/17 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
ROG, man, what a production! So much stuff happening here, killer job on the mix to make it all work. Love the vocal treatment, very cool! And the stops with the bass playing though them. Nice, tasteful playing on the guitar too (love the tele in your profile pic!)

Enjoyed everything about this!

Many thanks, Dave.
Really appreciate all the feedback.
I see you're a "Tele" man as well. Great guitars - so simple, but somehow just right.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/09/17 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Rog

Superb arrangement - wonderful horns, and overall just really infectious.
Great work.

Peter

Hi Peter. Pleased you liked it. Many thanks for the listen and review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/09/17 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Really groovy funk rock! Not heard enough on this forum smile Fantastic production, horns, drums, bass, vocals, everything works!

Janne

Hi Janne.
That's very kind. Many thanks for the listen and review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/10/17 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! Alan Parsons meets AWB meets The Beatles, and a whole lotta ROG thrown in there. Great story about the way it all came together, and it came together JUST RIGHT!! Absolutely LOVE IT!!! Take care. Greg

Hi Greg.
A lot of nice influences mentioned there and all very welcome. Many thanks, too, for the listen and review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/10/17 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This is a nice write and production. Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie

Many thanks, Charlie. Pleased you enjoyed it.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/10/17 07:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

And, hey listeners, if you haven't yet CRANK this one UP. It filled our room with the killer mix. Huge.

J&B

Hi there J&B.
Total number of tracks? Thirty eight!
Drums, Bass, two tracks of horns, trumpets, piano, organ, three guitar tracks and seven vocal phrases with four tracks each.
To make the mix manageable, each of the vocal phrases had it's own sub-mix with it's own effects, routed to a group, so the volume of each phrase with it's effects needed only one fader.
I get a lot of questions about the Realband/Powertracks mixer and I'm looking at producing a video tutorial at some time in the future. I'll keep you posted!

Anyway, many thanks for all the kind comments - much appreciated.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/10/17 07:40 PM

"Janice & Bud said everything that matters. What a cool song! Absolutely loved the horns and the complimentary guitar licks sat perfectly with everything else. And yep, we cranked this puppy up and sat back and smiled! Great work, ROG!

Like Janice & Bud, your explanation of how you put this together went a little over our heads - well, for us simpletons (Di & me), it was *WAY* over our heads! But, it ended up fabulous! Standing "O"!!!
Alan & Di"

Hi Alan.
I know you're very busy at the moment, so many thanks for taking the time to listen.
Really pleased you liked it - always value your opinion.
LOUD is good - glad it made you smile.
All the best, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/12/17 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Roger ;-),

First, my compliments on such a bright and powerful mix. How do you manage to get these loud levels? If we try something like that in Cubase the sound will distort....
It is true this has some Alan Parsons influences in it, but it's got slightly more power ;-)
Your vocals are always smooth, professional and creative. They shine once again here.
True power pop!

Rob

Hi Rob.
Many thanks for the listen and the review, especially on the mix. For many years I was recording on tape and we used to compress everything at the tracking stage to get a good signal to noise ratio. Rhythm tracks in particular were always pushed into the red on the VU meters and benefited from tape saturation as well. This has the added advantage of making the mix easier, because the tracks stay where you put them! By the time you get a finished mix, all you usually need is a good balancing amp on the main output. There was always competition to see who could get tracks to play loudest on the radio.

Thanks for the kind comments - always like your own stuff and appreciate your opinion.

Cheers. Roger.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/15/17 09:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music

Hi Rog, Great work on this! Very fun and funky! Great progression. Well done!

Hi Joe.
Fun is what it's all about!
Many thanks for the listen and kind review.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/15/17 09:52 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hi ROG,

This is great! I am not sure what Floyd meant by "synergy" because I don't know big words like that but I am sure it means good.

To my ears it was funkalogical. And by this I mean you have it all going on. Also it was funkagorical and funkalicious. Those are the only big words I know but I do know that George Clinton will nod his head when he hears this one and say:

"That was funkaholic man."

Groove on my funky brother. Groove on!!!!!!

smile

Hi David.
I just decided "Synergy" must be a good thing!
Hey, George Clinton - haven't heard that name in a while. If it would get his approval I'd be well pleased.
Many thanks for looking in on this one.
Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: ROG Re: Something Going On - 06/15/17 09:53 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
ROG,

This really cooks! Love that bassline as well.

Regards,

Bob

Many thanks, Bob.
Always pleased to get your approval.
Cheers, ROG.
© PG Music Forums