PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Without You - 08/25/17 05:51 AM

Without You

I love Shuffle Blues. I wrote this one back in 2011 on a different music creation program. So, the chord pattern and lyric were already in place. I just had to recreate it in BIAB. That took a couple of hours and then I recorded the vocal. Got it on the 2nd take. Love that B3 !!!!

Thanks for the visit and any comments you might have.

Alan

Key=Am , Tempo 80, Length (m:s)=2:12
Style is _BTGSHUF.STY (Baritone Guitar Blues Shuffle)

RealTracks in style:
1546:Bass, Electric, CountrySwing Sw 085
673: Organ, B3, Background Blues BB Ev 085
2624:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm BluesShuffleBassAndLicks Sw 085
2686:Guitar, Electric, Soloist BluesSlow12-8BrentSimple Sw 065
571:Harmonica, Background Blues Monday Sw 065
2730:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm BluesSlowSwingMike Sw 085

RealDrums in style:
BluesRockShuffle^1-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

Without You
© 2011 Alan D. David, BMI

V1
Without you, the stars no longer shine
And every night I go right out of my mind
Without you, the sky’s always gray
And it rains in my heart almost every day
Red tears flowing from a heart broke right in two
I can’t live, no I can’t live without you

V2
Without you, I don’t have a thing
The sun doesn’t rise, the birds no longer sing
Without you, my nights are so cold
Arms reaching out, with no one to hold
I cry all day, and I cry all night too

Chorus
You were my destiny, you were the best part of me
You were the life that breathed in me
I just can’t live without you, baby why can’t you see
I just can’t live without you

Two Instrumental Verses

V3
Without you, my soul is so bare
Just pain and sorrow, hurt everywhere
Without you, my heart doesn’t beat
I can’t stand, on my own two feet
None of my dreams will ever come true
How can I live, how can I live without you

Chorus
You were my destiny, you were the best part of me
You were the life that breathed in me
I just can’t live without you, baby why can’t you see
I just can’t live without you
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Without You - 08/25/17 06:22 AM
Hi Al
You keep putting out these great tracks.
Keep it up.
Rob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Without You - 08/25/17 07:50 AM
Well, it so happens that I love shuffle blues too! I played lead guitar in a blues band back in the 90's.

This is great, love the way you phrase your vocal lines. Love hearing the harp in there, and yeah, love the B3!

Nice one!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/25/17 09:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hi Al
You keep putting out these great tracks.
Keep it up.
Rob

Rob,

Glad you liked it. I'll do what I can to keep a few of them on the forum when I can. Thanks so much!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/25/17 09:56 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Well, it so happens that I love shuffle blues too! I played lead guitar in a blues band back in the 90's.

This is great, love the way you phrase your vocal lines. Love hearing the harp in there, and yeah, love the B3!

Nice one!

Hi Dave,

You are so kind ... thank you! Shuffle Blues, particularly in a minor key, is one of my very favorite genres to listen to and to play. There's a certain magic about a B3 organ. It grabs you and won't let you go.

As far as the vocals, that's my really weak point. I have an okay voice for Smooth Jazz, R&B and crooning. After that, it goes down hill real quick! Glad this one works for you. Thanks again for all the kindness!

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Without You - 08/25/17 11:09 AM
Nothing like a good shuffle blues tune smile I love the groove of this, and the vocal delivery is pristine! It has the perfect level of gruffness and emotion.

Thanks so much for sharing - you should be proud of this one!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/25/17 12:11 PM
Thanks Deryk! I appreciate all the kind words! And like almost everyone here, I appreciate PG Music's interest in the music we make with BIAB.

Alan
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Without You - 08/25/17 02:42 PM

Red tears flowing from a heart broke right in two

great lines from an inspiring songwriter-singer

enjoyed it a lot Alan (nice Pic)

so good!

Kenny
Posted By: Scott C Re: Without You - 08/25/17 08:23 PM
Awesome tune Alan Love this genre as well. Easiest to play Hardest to play well and this was played well
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Without You - 08/25/17 08:47 PM
Alan,

A very nice groove.Don`t play down your vocal chops- I for one wish I could get the gravel you`ve found in your voice for this one! Your phrasing is excellent and the lyrics pack a punch.
Glad you are finding time to get these songs recorded.

Robert
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Without You - 08/25/17 09:12 PM
Amazing vocals as always! laugh I feel your vocals match perfectly for the bluesy feel. Great stuff.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/25/17 09:17 PM
Hi Scott,

Thank you so much! Professionally, I played country music all my life (that's where the money was). But, I've always liked other genres just about as much. Glad you liked it - thanks!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/25/17 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Alan,

A very nice groove.Don`t play down your vocal chops- I for one wish I could get the gravel you`ve found in your voice for this one! Your phrasing is excellent and the lyrics pack a punch.
Glad you are finding time to get these songs recorded.

Robert

Thanks a bunch, Robert. I appreciate that very much. I've been working on getting that "edgy" sound in my voice. Thanks for noticing and mentioning! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/25/17 09:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Amazing vocals as always! laugh I feel your vocals match perfectly for the bluesy feel. Great stuff.

Thanks so much, Ember! We really appreciate it when you nice folks at PG Music comment on our music. You guys are a class act! Glad it works for you. Have a great weekend,

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Without You - 08/26/17 11:42 AM
Nice, Alan. I really like your vocal in this. Gritty.

Every part works - B3, guitar, harp... cool stuff.

fj
Posted By: HiroshiK Re: Without You - 08/26/17 12:03 PM
Alan,

Wonderful! I love the song.

Your song reminds me of the fact that the music with vocal attracts people much more than the instrumental music. This is why the instrumental music is often called the easy listening music.

Hiroshi
Posted By: RnAM Re: Without You - 08/26/17 05:19 PM
Alan,

Usually we're not all that into blues, but here we're going to make an exception.
This one has a very nice flow, we think. Authentic and sincere too.
Kudos to you!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: PeterF Re: Without You - 08/26/17 09:11 PM
Alan

Nicely crafted blues - excellent vocal (wonderfully gruff).

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/27/17 03:12 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

fj

Thanks, Floyd! I wasn't sure if perhaps I'd overdone the "grit" on the vocal. Glad it seems okay in your opinion. Thanks again!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/27/17 03:13 AM
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
Alan,

Wonderful! I love the song.

Your song reminds me of the fact that the music with vocal attracts people much more than the instrumental music. This is why the instrumental music is often called the easy listening music.

Hiroshi

Hello Hiroshi,

Thank you very much. I think instrumentals are great songs in any format. Vocals do get the attention of the listener a little more because there's a store to hear. But I'll take great instrumental any day!

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/27/17 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Alan,

Usually we're not all that into blues, but here we're going to make an exception.
This one has a very nice flow, we think. Authentic and sincere too.
Kudos to you!

Rob and Anne-Marie

HI Ron & Anne-Marie,

Well, I'm delighted you made the exception. Thank you so much! And I'm really happy it worked for you. Thanks again,

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/27/17 03:16 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Alan

Nicely crafted blues - excellent vocal (wonderfully gruff).

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks a big bunch! I;ve been working real hard on the vocals as my natural voice is a little thin and not dynamic. Have a great rest of the weekend,

ALan
Posted By: dani48 Re: Without You - 08/27/17 05:53 PM
Hi, Al !

This sounds like a blues
that comes stright from
your heart and that makes
it so special !

Really good Al !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/27/17 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Al !

This sounds like a blues
that comes stright from
your heart and that makes
it so special !

Really good Al !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks, Dani! That's very kind of you to say! Glad you liked it!

Alan
Posted By: jannesan Re: Without You - 08/28/17 01:27 PM
Sound quite like Chris Rea to me smile Your voice is getting better. Powerful arrangement and mix support nicely the vocals and strong lyrics.

Janne
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/28/17 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Sound quite like Chris Rea to me smile Your voice is getting better. Powerful arrangement and mix support nicely the vocals and strong lyrics.

Janne

Thank you, Janne. I'll take that Chris Rea analogy any time. I appreciate that. Thanks agin,

Alan
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Without You - 08/28/17 09:15 PM
I really like this! The music carries the feel of the lyrics. Great job.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Without You - 08/28/17 09:52 PM
Laid back and smooth Alan! I really like that chord progression going to a major 7th in the verse, it really give it a great feel! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/28/17 11:18 PM
Originally Posted By: guitar1
I really like this! The music carries the feel of the lyrics. Great job.

Thanks a bunch! Appreciate you dropping in for a listen!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/28/17 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Laid back and smooth Alan! I really like that chord progression going to a major 7th in the verse, it really give it a great feel! Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey,

I've always liked that 5#maj7 chord behind a tonic minor. It's very subtle but gives just enough of a feel to be ear-catching. Glad you enjoyed it! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Without You - 08/29/17 11:48 AM

Nice one!

Just what Dave said...OK, mostly, we never played leave in a blues band. But we did venture out from the bluegrass world into a "sit around the living room" acoustic blues group for a while.

That ev B3 works GREAT with the shuffle...good call!

And, yep, the phrasing is nailed.

Enjoyed the spins!

J&B
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/29/17 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Nice one!

Just what Dave said...OK, mostly, we never played leave in a blues band. But we did venture out from the bluegrass world into a "sit around the living room" acoustic blues group for a while.

That ev B3 works GREAT with the shuffle...good call!

And, yep, the phrasing is nailed.

Enjoyed the spins!

J&B

Thanks guys! I was a little skeptical that the "grit" I added to my voice might be more distracting than anything. It seems people are okay with it. smile

I've never played in a Blues band, either. I just like a huge variety of genres and Blues is one of them. The phrasing was natural - didn't have to part and parcel it out. It just seemed to fit as I was hearing it in my head. Glad you enjoyed it - thanks for letting me know! Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Without You - 08/30/17 03:49 AM
Hello, Alan

Great minor blues!
Your vocal has a very earnest desire.
The use of major 7th chord is very good seasoning.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 08/30/17 05:46 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan

Great minor blues!
Your vocal has a very earnest desire.
The use of major 7th chord is very good seasoning.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you, Shigeki. The maj7th is very subtle but adds a soft dimension that's a little out of the ordinary. Glad you liked it. Thanks again. Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Without You - 09/02/17 03:52 PM

fj

I agree with Floyd! This is probably my favorite ever of your vocals!! Very cool song, and the B3 ROCKS!! Nice job Alan! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Without You - 09/30/17 02:37 AM
Alan,

Apologies for taking so long to discover this gem. It is excellent and I'm so glad that I didn't miss it altogether. (I've been overseas on holiday and now I'm catching up with everything.)

Your singing is superb and so very well suited to this style. I loved it. You really are a powerhouse songwriter and song-presenter.

You've got my two enthusiastic thumbs-up for this opus smile

All the best to you and Di,
Noel
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 09/30/17 03:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

fj

I agree with Floyd! This is probably my favorite ever of your vocals!! Very cool song, and the B3 ROCKS!! Nice job Alan! Take care. Greg

Greg,

Somehow I missed your comment. Apologies!!!!

Thanks a bunch. I have to admit I'm kinda relishing the vocal comments as it's obvious on most of my sings the vocals are the weak link. Thanks so much for the kind words!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 09/30/17 03:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Alan,

Apologies for taking so long to discover this gem. It is excellent and I'm so glad that I didn't miss it altogether. (I've been overseas on holiday and now I'm catching up with everything.)

Your singing is superb and so very well suited to this style. I loved it. You really are a powerhouse songwriter and song-presenter.

You've got my two enthusiastic thumbs-up for this opus smile

All the best to you and Di,
Noel

Welcome back from holiday (we say vacation here in the States). Hope you enjoyed your travels. I've always loved to travel - been to 41 countries and all but 2 of the US States (Oregon and Hawaii).

I am humbled by your gracious comments. Not sure what to say except I truly appreciate them and leave a strong imprint of joy. I've been posting a little more than normal lately. I do most of my recording, posting and commenting between midnight and 6:00 am, US Central Time. No distractions (usually) and I've always been a night owl.

Again, many thanks for the wonderful comments. You always make my day!

Alan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Without You - 09/30/17 03:37 AM
Alan,

That was very speedy!

I was in Taiwan for a while. Have you ever been there? It was both exciting and intimidating. Exciting because it was outside my usual experience and intimidating because so few people speak much English and very few signs had English translations. Fortunately I was with a friend who is fluent in Mandarin (Taiwan's language) so I just kept my mouth shut and nodded politely at appropriate times smile Unlike your globetrotting yourself, this was only my second time overseas (my first trip was around 40 years ago). I tend not to race into things smile

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Al-David Re: Without You - 09/30/17 05:11 AM
Noel,

I just happened to clicked onto the site right after you posted. o was over on You Tube listening to Westlife and decided to drop in on the Users Showcase to see if there was anything new ... and there you were!

And yes, I was in Taipei in 1967. I spent a couple of months in Tokyo, Yokohama and Okinawa a little bit later. I lived in Europe almost 12 years. The countries are relatively small and close together, so visiting several of them a couple times yearly is no big thing. Of all the places I've been, the most interesting is Iceland. They are very independent, extremely protective of their tongue-twisting language and eat some of the worst-tasting food in the world! But, contrary to the typical perception, it is a beautiful country with a wide variety vegetation and beautiful flowers. I also enjoyed Morocco a lot. I speak several languages (learning a new one - American Southern!), but no Japanese, Chinese, icelandic or whichever dialect of Arabic they speak in Morocco - but I survived quite well. I have a strong sense of cultural adventure and I'm not easily deterred.

Same with music creation - blending unlikely genres, ignoring some of the rules and let my fingers and brain lead the way. I found the music in the various locations interesting, too. I've written a number of original songs with Asian and African influence.

Okay, I;ve bent your ear long enough. COuld go on forever - love to discuss various cultures and experiences in them! Have a great Sunday.

Alan
© PG Music Forums