PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Fool for You - 09/13/17 11:25 AM
Fool for You

This is a remix of a song I first posted around 18 months ago, apologies in advance to those that may have already heard it. Normally I wouldn't repost an old song with a new mix, but this one has been a bit of a challenge to get right and I'm hoping to get some feedback on the mix.

Christiane and I have done 21 songs together at this point and are thinking about putting out a CD, just for the pure fun of it. No ambition about making any money or even breaking even 'cause no one buys music these days, but hey, only live once smile

Drums: BluesRockShuffle
Bass: 420 Electric Blues
Keys: 425:Organ, B3, Background Blues

Lyrics/vocals: Chris Spruit.
Two guitar parts are from me, I redid the rhythm guitar for this version.

Mixed in reaper using waves plugins, also used neutron on most of the tracks. Mastered in Ozone 7.

All comments pro and con most welcome!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Fool for You - 09/13/17 12:21 PM
Wow, great work on this! I love the vocals on this, the tonality of her voice makes it sounds extremely unique and really gives the tune extra character. That groove is infectious too! This would sound stunning live, I have no doubt. Not to mention - that guitar solo is fantastic!

Thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: Fool for You - 09/13/17 12:53 PM
I am with Derek on this one. The groove is so infectious and the vocals wow... You and Christiane are putting out some first class music. The guitar work was smokin... Well done
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Fool for You - 09/13/17 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
I am with Derek on this one. The groove is so infectious and the vocals wow... You and Christiane are putting out some first class music. The guitar work was smokin... Well done

Have to jump on the band wagon With Deryk and Scott.
They say it all.
Rob
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Fool for You - 09/13/17 07:59 PM
Dave, maybe it's just the mood I'm in today, but man that track sounds extra good!! It's got such a deep rich sound to it! The vocal work is perfect as well as that hot solo in the middle! Listened to every second of it and it's great!! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Fool for You - 09/13/17 08:15 PM
Dave,

I didn`t hear your first mix but love this one.
Incendiary guitar and Christiane`s vocals always have just the right amount of attitude ( for want of a better word).
I know nothing about CD sales, but am confident your disc will be a gem!

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: Fool for You - 09/14/17 06:26 AM
Hi Dave,

Love Blues Rock and this is a great example of the genre. Love that bass line - a real grabber! Love everything about this one. Nice work!

Alan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Fool for You - 09/14/17 05:08 PM
Terrific blues, Dave. Your guitar is on fire.

I think Chris' vocal needs some clarity added - just a bit - it gets a little lost in the mix in the beginning. It might just need a small bump in volume (1 dB maybe) or an EQ bump in the upper mids (that is just a guess... maybe around 1K? and again, just a slight bump - nothing dramatic). A subtle lift.

Everything else sounds great.

fj
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Fool for You - 09/14/17 08:12 PM
Rockin'!

love your guitar!

good mix, I would pull the vocal up just a little

Kenny
Posted By: PeterF Re: Fool for You - 09/15/17 04:22 AM
Dave
Wonderful song with excellent vocals and precise tasty guitar.
As far as the mix I see there is a suggestion of bringing the vocal up a bit and I'd probably drop the volume of the guitar in the verse just a touch (not sure what's gotten into me suggesting a guitar volume drop?).....Otherwise sounds great.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/15/17 08:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow, great work on this! I love the vocals on this, the tonality of her voice makes it sounds extremely unique and really gives the tune extra character. That groove is infectious too! This would sound stunning live, I have no doubt. Not to mention - that guitar solo is fantastic!

Thanks, Deryk! I'm a big fan of her voice too of course, lots of personality there. Thanks for the props on the solo too!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/15/17 08:16 AM

Thanks Scott, means a lot for us to receive comments like that!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/15/17 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580

Have to jump on the band wagon With Deryk and Scott.
They say it all.
Rob

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment Rob, I appreciate it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/15/17 08:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dave, maybe it's just the mood I'm in today, but man that track sounds extra good!! It's got such a deep rich sound to it! The vocal work is perfect as well as that hot solo in the middle! Listened to every second of it and it's great!! Thanks, Torrey

Awesome comment, thanks very much Torrey!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/16/17 06:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave,

I didn`t hear your first mix but love this one.
Incendiary guitar and Christiane`s vocals always have just the right amount of attitude ( for want of a better word).
I know nothing about CD sales, but am confident your disc will be a gem!

Robert

Thanks Robert! (I think "attitude" is a great word to describe Christiane's vocals BTW)
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/16/17 06:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Dave,

Love Blues Rock and this is a great example of the genre. Love that bass line - a real grabber! Love everything about this one. Nice work!

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for giving this a spin and the kind words, it is appreciated!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/16/17 06:24 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I think Chris' vocal needs some clarity added - just a bit - it gets a little lost in the mix in the beginning. It might just need a small bump in volume (1 dB maybe) or an EQ bump in the upper mids (that is just a guess... maybe around 1K? and again, just a slight bump - nothing dramatic). A subtle lift.

fj

Thanks for stopping by Floyd, I know you must have quite a bit on your plate at the moment with the storm aftermath.
And thanks for the input on the vocal, a few others have since mentioned that. I'll have some time tomorrow morning to revisit the song, I'll tweak the vocal a little then.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/16/17 06:25 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Rockin'!

love your guitar!

good mix, I would pull the vocal up just a little

Kenny

Thanks for the listen and the input on the mix, Kenny! I'll tweak the vocal level as soon as I get some free time.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/16/17 06:30 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave
Wonderful song with excellent vocals and precise tasty guitar.
As far as the mix I see there is a suggestion of bringing the vocal up a bit and I'd probably drop the volume of the guitar in the verse just a touch (not sure what's gotten into me suggesting a guitar volume drop?).....Otherwise sounds great.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I guess you mean the rhythm guitar? Hmmm, you have me thinking now. Maybe I could use neutron and carve out some eq space in that rhythm track so it won't conflict with the vocal as much. Anyway, something to play with when I get some free time.
Thanks for the listen and mix suggestions!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Fool for You - 09/19/17 09:44 AM
We love blues shuffles so much that it's hard to try and parse out things. Dunno if you've done a remix since the posting but I do sense that very early, first few bars, on the vocal (and a fine one it is) could have a bit more space to itself. Dunno why that would occur only at the early part...but every mix is a new adventure. That's the only little nit I have and along with a big FWIW! Your guitar is scorching.

J&B

Edit: should have more closely read responses as I see that floyd mentioned the vocal and perhaps changes have been made. Don't put a lot of trust in these old ears!

Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 09/20/17 07:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We love blues shuffles so much that it's hard to try and parse out things. Dunno if you've done a remix since the posting but I do sense that very early, first few bars, on the vocal (and a fine one it is) could have a bit more space to itself. Dunno why that would occur only at the early part...but every mix is a new adventure. That's the only little nit I have and along with a big FWIW! Your guitar is scorching.

J&B

Edit: should have more closely read responses as I see that floyd mentioned the vocal and perhaps changes have been made. Don't put a lot of trust in these old ears!

Hi Bud,

Well, I actually put lots of trust in your old ears! I love the mixes you do.

I just uploaded a new mix this morning. Still not 100% happy with it. I think it is a combination of trying to learn a bunch of new tools at once (neutron and ozone 7), so many options there and it will take me a while to get things dialed in properly.

For this one I dropped the rhythm guitar down a bit for the first verse, and also brought up the mid range a bit during the master. And that will need to do for now, going on vacation in a couple of days.

Thanks as always, Bud!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Fool for You - 09/22/17 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

Thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk said it just right this is a super production!

Rob
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Fool for You - 09/23/17 06:05 AM

Super blues guitar.
Great vocal.

Really excellent song.

Sergio
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 10/17/17 06:24 AM
Thanks Rob and Sergio!

Sorry for the late response, been on vacation for the last three weeks. I'll spend a few hours over the next couple of days checking out what I've missed.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Fool for You - 10/23/17 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

fj

I agree with FJ on both counts-awesome guitar!!!! Vocal is sweet with great passion but I'd like to hear it a bit better. Great blues!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Fool for You - 10/26/17 07:30 PM
What a fun and flirty song! The vocals have so much character to them, it's insane! And the guitar is also pretty fantastic. This song has so much to offer, and the lyrics are pretty amazing too. I wasn't around 18 months ago so this is a first time listen for me!

Great share! Can't wait for the next.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Fool for You - 10/27/17 08:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

I agree with FJ on both counts-awesome guitar!!!! Vocal is sweet with great passion but I'd like to hear it a bit better. Great blues!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg! I'll get back to it at some point and make a couple more tweaks.

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
What a fun and flirty song! The vocals have so much character to them, it's insane! And the guitar is also pretty fantastic. This song has so much to offer, and the lyrics are pretty amazing too. I wasn't around 18 months ago so this is a first time listen for me!

Great share! Can't wait for the next.

Thanks, Ember! Well, we have done 21 together so far, should have a new one up late next week or the following.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Fool for You - 10/27/17 11:24 AM

You guys make such a blistering team!

I always love your stuff.

What a voice!

What a guitar!

What a song!

Right on man!!
© PG Music Forums