PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitartist Cool Mahn - 10/22/17 01:28 PM
I don't always use BIAB in my final tracks, so this, I believe, is only the second composition that I post here.

Part of the beauty of BIAB is the ability to try things that you might not ordinarily try. Like a reggae tune perhaps. Sometimes when I compose I like to think of doing a mash-up with a couple different artists that I like. In this case I was thinking a little bit along the lines of Steely Dan's "Haitian Divorce" and Brian May's stacked, harmonized guitar lines. So I previewed some reggae styles and ended up with this one, entered my chords and arrangement, and dragged tracks into Logic Pro. There I recorded the rhythm guitar and four lead guitar parts after speeding the tempo up from 75bpm to 80bpm.

Style: REGGAS2.STY: Slow Swing 16 Reggae 2
RealDrums: ReggaeTambo^1-a:Sidestick, Tambourine, b:Sidestick, Kick
Bass: Real 1157 Bass, Electric, ReggaeSlow Sw 075
Piano: Real 1160 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm ReggaeSlow Sw 075
Organ: Real 1159 Organ, B3, Rhythm ReggaeSlow Sw 075

https://soundcloud.com/ron-longtin/cool-mahn
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Cool Mahn - 10/22/17 01:43 PM
I must say I really liked the reggae style.

The guitar work sits nicely with the mix, overall a great job.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 10/22/17 01:52 PM
Thank you, VideoTrack!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Cool Mahn - 10/22/17 07:19 PM
This is really well constructed. I can definitely here Brian May in the guitar work.
Very effective.
Rob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Cool Mahn - 10/22/17 10:23 PM
Loved the backtrack. Guitar is excellent. Loved the tone sounds so cool. Well done
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Cool Mahn - 10/23/17 10:14 AM
Very nicely done, Ron.

Really nice listen. Tasty (and tasteful) guitar work. Well mixed.

fj
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 10/23/17 12:35 PM
Thank you, Rob. I do enjoy working out harmonies. I have other tunes with 2 and 3 parts but this is the first time I've ever tried a 4-part guitar line.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 10/23/17 12:41 PM
Thank you, Scott. The guitar tone is actually one of my favorites from Logic Pro X's stock amp plug-ins.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 10/23/17 12:41 PM
Thank you so much, Floyd!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Cool Mahn - 10/26/17 07:42 PM
I'm really digging the reggae style you used for this! For only being a second post in the showcase, it's pretty phenomenal! I know you said you don't always use BiaB, but when you do please share more with us!

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Cool Mahn - 11/01/17 02:01 PM
Good stuff Ron!! Sweet guitar parts. I could hear the Haitian Divorce vibe. I'm a huge fan of The Dan (so sad about Walter). Really enjoyed this!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/03/17 11:19 PM
Thanks very much, Greg! And yes, sorry to see Walter leave us...but happy that Donald plans to continue performing.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Cool Mahn - 11/04/17 12:18 PM
Sweet!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Cool Mahn - 11/04/17 07:57 PM
Ron,
Really well done! I enjoyed the way you took the reggae beat and made it your own with those cool guitar parts.
Great use of BiaB with your intuition and guitar skills.
Robert
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/04/17 09:32 PM
Thank you Robertkc, David, and Ember. Your kind comments are much appreciated!
Posted By: bluage Re: Cool Mahn - 11/05/17 09:21 PM
"Guitarist"...

Nicely shredded reggae motion goin' on, sir, with a laid-way-back, percolating rhythm that makes the Band-In-A-Box Real Tracks musicians sound as though they got tired of being trapped in the box and came out of it to jam with the real world!

Your rhythm guitar harmonization is mellow, exciting and inspiring all at the same time, ascending and descending like souls signalling each other as they search for the right vibrations to communicate through.

It's definitely "Cool Mahn"!

LOREN

Posted By: MarioD Re: Cool Mahn - 11/05/17 09:54 PM
Brian May takes a vacation in Jamaica! Great groove with some extremely well played guitar leads.

Two thumbs up.

Ps - Your final tracks do not have to contain BiaB parts IF the song was started in BiaB. Most all of my songs start in BiaB but many contain only a very little, if any, BiaB parts.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/06/17 08:02 PM
Thank you, Loren. I enjoyed reading your poetic, lyrical comments as much as you seem to have enjoyed listening to my tune. Actually, I've enjoyed reading all of your comments on user showcase tunes.

As you are obviously a skilled wordsmith, I find it interesting that you would quote my user name and leave out the middle "t" which many people do. Being both an artist/illustrator and a musician I combined "guitar" and "artist" to make "guitartist." Hence the paint brushes in my picking hand in my profile pic.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/06/17 08:12 PM
Thank you so much, MarioD! Good to know about the use of BIAB tracks in the final production. Sometimes I go to BIAB for inspiration and/or for solos on instruments I don't play, and often I just start from the ground up inside Logic Pro. I LOVE both applications!
Posted By: bluage Re: Cool Mahn - 11/09/17 06:23 PM
Dear "Guitartist":

Uh-oh, looks like I've been "BUSTED!" blush

Didn't notice my omission 'til you called it to my attention. Your profile pic is just as inventive and imaginative as I would expect from an artist/illustrator. I'm looking at it with "new eyes", now.

Being an artist and a musician puts you in great company, sir, as composers such as George Gershwin and "Duke" Ellington were talented painters, too.

Thanks for correcting my spelling of your "handle"!

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/09/17 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear "Guitartist":

grin
Posted By: dani48 Re: Cool Mahn - 11/09/17 07:38 PM
Hi, Guitarist !:))

I also loved that
swaying Reagge tune
of yours !:))

Great music !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Cool Mahn - 11/10/17 12:03 PM
Wow, you really did a great job here! I like the reggae vibe, and how well it melds with the electric guitars. It's a combination you don't hear too often, and you nailed it here. The mix is nearly perfect too - all the levels are excellent, and the panning and arrangement is superb too.

Wouldn't change a thing - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 11:15 AM
Thank you, Dani!
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 11:15 AM
Thank you so much, Deryk! I'm really glad you liked it.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 11:39 AM
Very nicely done! I like the guitar solo. I enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 01:31 PM
Nice performance, arrangement and mix.

Yep, Biab is even more fun when you explore genres. We used and much like those reggae tracks. You made great use of them.

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 01:31 PM
Thank you, Rich!
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 01:33 PM
Thank you, Janice & Bud! I appreciate your comments.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 02:08 PM
Hello Guitartist!

Somehow I missed this one. Glad I ran crossed it, finally!

Very nicely done. The stacked guitar lines are in perfect unison - much as a well-rehearsed choir. It's a nice blend of genres, reggae being the more dominant. Smooth as silk and equally kind to the ears. That was a real sweet listen. Wishing you the very best.

Also, I noticed you're from Maine. When I lived in D.C., back in the middle 60s, I dated a real nice young lady from Lewiston - then Vietnam showed up. Dang!

Alan
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 02:31 PM
Thank you, Alan! Yes, I was going for a guitar choir type of sound.

How amazing that you should mention Lewiston, Maine. That's my hometown! I was in junior high around the mid 60's. I moved down to southern Maine following a stint in the USAF.

I've checked out your website and am very impressed with the variety and quality of your music. People like you, Floyd Jane, Janice & Bud, etc. raise the bar for the rest of us.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 02:48 PM
Hi Guitarist, cool indeed piece. Very well done.

Mike B.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/12/17 06:46 PM
Thank you, Mike. I've been enjoying listening to some of your tunes also.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Cool Mahn - 11/13/17 06:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitartist
Thank you, Alan! Yes, I was going for a guitar choir type of sound.

How amazing that you should mention Lewiston, Maine. That's my hometown! I was in junior high around the mid 60's. I moved down to southern Maine following a stint in the USAF.

I've checked out your website and am very impressed with the variety and quality of your music. People like you, Floyd Jane, Janice & Bud, etc. raise the bar for the rest of us.

Yes, what a coincidence! Her name was Daniella (Danni) Schofield. She worked at one of the federal offices in D.C. - not sure which one. I was stationed at Fort Belvoir, Virginia at the time (1965 and 1966), 9 miles out of D. C.. I never got to Lewiston, but many years later, I did go to Portland. When I lived in St. Louis (my hometown), my neighbor was from St. David, Maine - right on the Canadian border. Given that my last name is David, that was an easy one to remember. She said the northern fence line of their property was right on the border.

Also, thank you for the kind words about our website and music. We truly appreciate that. My wife, who did all the female vocals, is significantly disabled and now in very poor health. She rarely sings anymore as she no longer has the strength or lung capacity. She and I have both liked almost all genres of music, we determine what to write and record based on two things: 1. A submission opportunity or 2. Whatever feels good at the moment.

Hope you post some tunes - I really enjoyed this one. Wishing you well,

Alan
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Cool Mahn - 11/13/17 09:40 PM
Guitartist. I really have enjoyed this piece. Matter of fact, I just listened for the third times. It just has a really feel good sort of vibe. The guitar quartet almost makes me think you could get a way with emulating backup vocals with that technique. As well as you play you could pull it off, I think. Good job all round.
Posted By: Guitartist Re: Cool Mahn - 11/15/17 08:15 PM
Thank you, guitar1! I'm glad you like my tune.

I must say, your idea about emulating back-up vocals with guitars intrigues me. Perhaps with a vocorder and/or wah-wah? I've never thought about that. I think I'll have to give it a try!
© PG Music Forums