PG Music Home
Posted By: guitar1 Old Ship Of Zion - 10/25/17 09:24 PM
This is a song that I wrote several years ago. I am trying to get as many of my unrecorded songs demoed as I can. I am sure a lot of them will undergo some minor changes before final release, but I would like to get a feel for where I want to go with them. A lot of the folks on this forum have been very helpful, and I really appreciate the guidance. Most of you have had more experience with the engineering end of songwriting than I. Between the upgrades on my recording DAW (Sonar Platinum) and the yearly updates to BIAB, It keeps me struggling to keep up. Still, I have to say, I'm having a wonderful time. Thanks to all.

https://soundcloud.com/user-484637010/old-ship-of-zion

I posted this in a hurry, and didn't get a chance to include the lyrics. They are as follows:

Old Ship of Zion

Working hard to make a living
I just barely get by
every day a new trial begins
but you'll find me here standing
looking out across the tide
I'll be patiently waiting
for my ship to come in

chorus

Riding high in the water
sails proud in the wind
and I can hear the captain calling
my child welcome in
no longer will I tarry
my new life begins
when that old ship of Zion
finally comes in.

No longer will I labor
no more must I strive
my earthly trials will be ore'
I'll be standing with my captain
on that deck way up high
when that old ship of Zion
sails away from that shore

repeat chorus
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/25/17 09:36 PM
I like the sound of this. Very reminicent of a George Jones style tune. The fiddle and pedal steel compliment each outher nicely.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/25/17 10:00 PM
Thank you so much Samuel, I panned the steel and the fiddle directly opposite of one another, hoping they wouldn't step on each other. When it comes right down to it. I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so I used them both. Thanks again.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 12:03 AM
Good classic country sound. Band in a Box is a great tool for what you want to accomplish. Keep up the good work.

Steve
Posted By: Al-David Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 12:15 AM
Hi Gary,

I agree with Samuel and Steve - great Classic Country sound. To my ears this has George Jones written all over it. But, that said, John Conley and Gene Watson come to mind

Love a good old 3/4 Country tune. Nice selection of backing tracks. You always get a lot of sound from just a few tracks. You use BIAB with a lot of great results. I always enjpy your songs.

Best to you,

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 10:28 AM
Great job on this - I really dig the old school sort of vibe here, and it reminds me of something by George Jones or John Conlee. It a nice, calming ballad that I found sounded really sincere.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 12:53 PM
What a really great song! I really like the traditional feel to this one. I've gotten so used to hearing pop-country on TV commercials that I forgot what the classic styles of the genre were like! What a lovely tune.

Thanks for sharing, and fantastic lyrics!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 03:21 PM
Man you sure know how to replicate that classical country sound!
Good work.

Rob
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 07:42 PM
This tune has the old time classic country tone.
How country should be and you have the touch.
Ropb
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 08:10 PM
This is really well done, Gary.

You've got George down cold... nice vocal - well recorded.

fj
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 09:52 PM
Thank you so much, Steve. I have been using BIAB for as long as there has been one, but didn't really begin to delve into the inner workings of it until recently. Real Band and RT's changed everything. This was a revelation to me, as I'm sure it was to others. All of a sudden, a lot of things were suddenly not only possible, but actually probable. The early issues were wonderful, but leaned heavily towards keyboard players. My keyboard skills were far from pro level, and though I still used it for demo work, I did not see it as an replacement for a professional studio. The advent of RB opened up a whole new world for me. I'm sorry if I got long winded. Suffice to say, there was a stroke of genius on someone's part, when they dreamed up the digital tracks idea. Thanks so much for your comments and your input.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 10:02 PM
Thanks Alan. I really appreciate your input and your support. You are correct about my use of a minimum of tracks. I worked for many years with four and five piece bar bands, playing whatever the crowd demanded. I guess I my work has never gotten very far from that format. It is one I understand, and I guess I'm just more comfortable in that realm. Thanks again and I hope that Di is doing much better. Be well and keep on rocking.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 10:33 PM
Thank you Deryk. Fortunately for me, the musicians that you chose for your real tracks understand this form of music all too well. I couldn't have afforded to use them if PGMusic had not made it possible. I write my songs in my head. Usually while I am driving somewhere. By the time I pick up my guitar, I have heard every note in my head many times over. This allows me to play what I hear in my head. There is no possible way I could tell someone how to play a song they could not hear. This allows me to do just that.
Thanks again.
Posted By: RichMac Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/26/17 11:31 PM
Great example of a most enjoyable style of country.
Good fun. Cheers.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/31/17 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
This is really well done, Gary.

You've got George down cold... nice vocal - well recorded.

fj

Yep!

Enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 10/31/17 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Man you sure know how to replicate that classical country sound!
Good work.

Rob

I agree with Rob and the other comments here- your vocal has that instant heartache feel I love about the country classics.

Robert
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 11/01/17 01:16 AM
Thank you Robert. Just when you think you got it all figured out, they come along and change everything. I guess I'm a throwback. I haven't figured the new country stylings out just yet, and to be honest, I'm not sure I even want to. Thanks again. Be well and take care.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Old Ship Of Zion - 11/01/17 01:25 AM
Thanks so much Ember. In the end I guess you are what you have been exposed to. A lot of different names have been attached to my style of doing things and I guess all the folks I have followed for so many years are squeezed in there somewhere. I wish sometimes I could hear myself with the same ears every one else is using. I have heard a lot of performers say that they don't like to listen to themselves, and I'm one of them. Makes it a devil of a time to mix my tracks. Thanks again and be well.
© PG Music Forums