PG Music Home
Posted By: guitar1 A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 02:18 AM
I've been offline a while. Had to replace my computer. Took a while to get everything set up and ready to go. I've got several new songs in the works, but this is a brand new song. It's the first time a BIAB style has inspired one, though. I hope everyone likes it.

A Feeling For The Blues

A Feeling For The Blues

It's not funny, but it seems
you leave a trail of broken dreams
and you wear them
like they were diamonds in your crown
you took away my right to choose
now I've got nothing more to lose
you're the reason I've got a feeling for the blues

chorus
Just when I think I can face the world alone
you waltz right back into my life
now I'm feelin like I can't go on
You took every thing that I had to give
and gave me nothing but attitude
You're the reason I've got a feeling for the blues

instrumental break

repeat chorus

tag-You're the reason I've got a feeling for the blues
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 09:16 AM
Hi gary,

Wow ... I really like this - a lot! This has such universal appeal I can hear several different classic country country singers smoking it: George Jones, Merle Haggard, Hank Jr. That sax lead (which is really sweet) kind of sways me to the merle Haggard thought.

This is a terrific song, Gary. I know that when I click onto one of your songs, I know it's going to be great listen. Your vocal is a little more forward in this one than usual but it fits perfectly. Nice lyric, track selection, arrangement and delivery. You had me thinking back to when I was playing in a band 20 -28 nights a month. We did a lot of this kind of stuff, plus whatever was contemporary at the time.

Thanks for this treat! Wishing you well.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 09:19 AM
Gary,

Forgot to say that your verse is simply killer. I was going to quote my favorite lines. Then i realized, it was the entire verse. Really nice!
Posted By: Scott C Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 12:20 PM
I am with Alan on this one. I so look forward to seeing and hearing your knew posts. I absolutely loved this tune. Awesome vocal and lyric. Sax was very cool
Posted By: RnAM Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 06:05 PM
Hi Gary,

Really nice song and great sax!
We like the lyrics too.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 08:49 PM
Thanks so much, Alan. This the first time that I've had one of the BIAB styles suggest a tune. Wish that would happen more often. It almost wrote itself. Thanks again. BTW, I just listened to Room for Cello. What a wonderful piece. I've got two grandsons who play Cello, After this I may see if I can talk them into doing a little freestyle improvisation on something. Be well, Be blessed.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 08:50 PM
Thanks, Scott. I could have used your skills on this one. I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 08:56 PM
Thanks Rob and Anne Marie. I worked many years ago with a wonderful saxophone player. I can still see him walking back and forth on the bar in one of the clubs we played with an Alto sax in one side of his mouth and a soprano in the other. Needless to say, I will always have an affinity for the sax. Be well, and keep on doing what you do. You are much appreciated.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/11/17 09:42 PM
Another very strong song, Gary. Very well written. Nice, creative use of the sax on this country blues song. Your vocals always have a hint of George Jones in them. That's a pretty good thing!

Steve
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/13/17 02:42 PM
Excellent stuff!! Very heartfelt vocal, and authentic feel. Everything works well. Another great tune!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/13/17 08:08 PM
Nice one, Gary.

A good write. A strong vocal.

For this style song, I think the drums ought to be a bit more subtle. The piano is great...could even turn that up a hair..

fj
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/14/17 12:17 PM
Great work here, Gary smile Within the first few bars, it had me swaying. I like how sincere and heartfelt it sounds. The vocal performance is truly stunning. All around, it's just a very well written country tune.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/14/17 12:26 PM
Loving that feeling!

Nice selection of backing tracks and a fine performance by you.

J&B
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/14/17 10:43 PM
Thanks Steve. I had a ball doing this one. Most don't come as easily as this one did. I listened to a particular BIAB style and it strongly suggested this melody. Funny you should mention the George Jones thing. I have had many people say that very thing, but the odd thing is. I don't hear that inflection, or whatever it is. My ears are not what they use to be, and I never really sang in public till I was fifty or so. A couple of oohs and ahs when I was playing in bands, but I never considered myself a singer. I guess I never will. However I work cheap. Thanks again Steve. I value your input.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/14/17 10:48 PM
Thanks Greg. I enjoyed doing this one. It came so easy, I didn't have time to agonize over whether this or that was right. I just went along for the ride. Any way, enough said about that. Thanks again. Be well, live long and laugh much.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/14/17 10:54 PM
Thank so much Floyd. I have trouble hearing certain frequencies and it gives me a real headache sometimes.
I am so prone to getting my drum track too loud or too prominent. It is good to have some input from others to help getting that under control. Thanks a bunch. Don't go deaf, It's a real bummer.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/15/17 12:13 AM
Do I hear a touch of Willy here?
Another one of your tunes that sounds like an old classic.
Great stuff. Rob
Posted By: Belladonna Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/15/17 12:46 AM
Love the song. Nice and bluesy. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/15/17 10:46 PM
Thanks Rob. I think everyone I ever listened to, at one time or another comes out in my cornpone delivery. I've never tried to sound like any one person, but I guess in the end, the styles that I've always loved all contain some elements of the voices that delivered them. The names of singers that I have listen to and admired for so many years will always be in my mind when I do a certain type of song. If something that I do reminds someone, just a little, of any of those voices, then I am most certainly proud. Rob, I thank you again. I will always be a throwback, but that, I feel is not such a bad thing.
Be well.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/18/17 09:09 PM
I usually like to thank each and every person that comments on my posts individually, but I am just running out of time. We are in the process of loading up the motorhome for our winter trip. I want to thank each and every one of you for your support and comments and suggestions. I really appreciate you all. We will probably be out of touch for a while. Thanks again and we'll see you down the road.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: A Feeling For The Blues - 11/24/17 10:24 PM
Great country blues Gary!! You are very good with these type of tunes and this one is great! Lots of feeling in here and the sax choice was a good one!
© PG Music Forums