PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan Did You See It Coming - 11/19/17 07:20 AM
Did You See It Coming

WARNING: This is the first song with my own vocals showcased here, I've just recently started singing my songs, so the end result is still quite bad, lots of pitch drifting, problems with pronunciation etc. Lots of Melodyne used, but it cannot fix everything. I hope you are merciful blush and hopefully my singing gets better smile

I made this song after seeing the movie Bridge to Terabithia. It reminded me of a girl who died in an accident in my childhood. The song is a story about one memory when I was about 6 years old, one of the rare ones from that age which I can still remember clearly, playing with her in a snowy forest.

RealDrums: BossaLewis
RealTracks:
Acoustic guitar #362, #676, #1595, #2677
Electric bass: #518
Fiddle #624

Vocals: Janne

Mixed in Adobe Audition 2017

Lyrics:

The first adventure of our lives
little kids frisking in the snow
going downhill by the rock
hidden dangers below.
You were my first friend
you were the first one I ever kissed
if you can hear me on your cloud
you should know you are still missed.

Did you see it coming
I saw something in your eyes
was it fear, was it your fate
did you realize everything dies?
I didn't cry then
but I cried today
an accident reminded of you
too short was your stay.

I persuaded you to try
hadn't courage to follow
I gave you a little push
if you were scared, you didn't show.
On the flat ground, you stood up
like a braveheart born to excel
after the next time you had wings
and you sang your farewell.

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

--------------
Janne
Posted By: Al-David Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/19/17 09:00 AM
Hi Janne,

Congrats on having the courage to do your first vocal. It can be daunting!

It's not nearly as bad as you think it is. I have a lot of pitch problems, too. But I sing my songs so i can give a "real" singer a good, personal idea of what I'm trying to accomplish vocally.

It's a very good song with a great story, even if it's poignant. The vocal harmony is excellent. And your choice of backing tracks is perfect, as is the arrangement.

I enjoyed my listen. Wishing you the very best. And keep singing!

Alan
Posted By: ROG Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/19/17 10:46 AM
HI Janne.

Great song!

Hey the vocal is OK - nothing really to worry about. Just have the confidence to sing out loud and clear and you can ditch the Melodyne. If it was me mixing, I'd brighten your voice up a bit with a boost around 4Kz and a roll-off on the low frequency. Other than that, fine.

Loved the song. I'm so impressed with how you guys write and sing in English when it's not your native language.

Keep singing!

ROG.

Posted By: Scott C Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/20/17 12:29 PM
Song was very enjoyable. I thought your vocal was ok. The more you sing the better you will become. Adds another dimension to your music. Well done
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/20/17 01:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Congrats on having the courage to do your first vocal. It can be daunting!

It's not nearly as bad as you think it is. I have a lot of pitch problems, too. But I sing my songs so i can give a "real" singer a good, personal idea of what I'm trying to accomplish vocally.

It's a very good song with a great story, even if it's poignant. The vocal harmony is excellent. And your choice of backing tracks is perfect, as is the arrangement.

I enjoyed my listen. Wishing you the very best. And keep singing!

Alan

Thanks Alan for your kind words smile Yes, I'll try to keep singing, I know it requires hundreds of hours to get even to a decent level, but this was one of the first steps on the road. And as Florence Foster Jenkins said, they can say that I can't sing but they can never say I didn't sing smile

Janne
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/20/17 03:33 PM
Hi Jannesan, thank you for sharing this with us, and for posting your first vocal work! - Nice work with the progression, I found the whole piece very easy to listen to. I look forward to hear your next piece!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/20/17 09:43 PM
Janne,

I liked the story in the lyrics which carry the sad feeling even without your introduction ( I liked the Terebinthia movie too).
Your simple arrangement suits the song well.
As ROG says there`s no reason to hide your vocal... and this is a great place to practice in public.

Robert
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/21/17 12:14 PM
Good job on this - and for your first time singing, it doesn't sound bad at all! There is infinite potential here, and as you get more confident and continue practicing, you're just going to get better smile I found that this tune sounded sincere and emotional. I liked how easy on the ears it was too.

I can't wait to hear more! Thanks so much for sharing this with us smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/21/17 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Great song!
Hey the vocal is OK - nothing really to worry about. Just have the confidence to sing out loud and clear and you can ditch the Melodyne. If it was me mixing, I'd brighten your voice up a bit with a boost around 4Kz and a roll-off on the low frequency. Other than that, fine.
Loved the song. I'm so impressed with how you guys write and sing in English when it's not your native language.
Keep singing!
ROG.

Thanks ROG, I really appreciate your encouraging words smile And thanks for the tips. Yeah, I could sing out loud but I don't want to upset my neighbors wink I have a high pass filter on my vocals to cut the low parts but I guess that needs some tweaking still, including that 4K boost.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/21/17 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Song was very enjoyable. I thought your vocal was ok. The more you sing the better you will become. Adds another dimension to your music. Well done

Thanks Scott for your kind comment smile Yep, I hope to have enough time to practice my singing. It is really a new direction in my music making - trying to arrange the songs to my own voice.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/21/17 03:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Jannesan, thank you for sharing this with us, and for posting your first vocal work! - Nice work with the progression, I found the whole piece very easy to listen to. I look forward to hear your next piece!

Thanks Joe for your kind words smile I hope to share another one with my vocals during this year... unless next BIAB version comes out and takes all my time wink

Janne
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/21/17 05:26 PM
Janne,

You always write good songs

your vocals sound good, keep it up

touching story

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/21/17 06:02 PM
For a first vocal this is quite fantastic! You did such a great job. Knowing the story behind this song makes it all the more memorable and spectacular. The lyrics are quite poignant, and I think that you don't have nearly as much work to do in your voice as you might think! We are always our own worst critics. I look forward to your next piece that include vocals.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/22/17 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
I liked the story in the lyrics which carry the sad feeling even without your introduction ( I liked the Terebinthia movie too).
Your simple arrangement suits the song well.
As ROG says there`s no reason to hide your vocal... and this is a great place to practice in public.
Robert

Thank Robert for your positive feedback smile I'm glad you liked the story also. You are right, great place to receive such nice words even as a novice singer blush

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/22/17 05:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Good job on this - and for your first time singing, it doesn't sound bad at all! There is infinite potential here, and as you get more confident and continue practicing, you're just going to get better smile I found that this tune sounded sincere and emotional. I liked how easy on the ears it was too.

I can't wait to hear more! Thanks so much for sharing this with us smile

Thanks Deryk for your kind words smile Yeah, I hope I'll get better by practicing.

Janne
Posted By: PeterF Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/23/17 03:57 AM
Janne

A nice arrangement with a pleasant melody. Well done.

Peter
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/23/17 01:27 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Janne,
You always write good songs
your vocals sound good, keep it up
touching story
enjoyed the listen,
Kenny

Thanks Kenny for your very kind words about my songs smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/23/17 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
For a first vocal this is quite fantastic! You did such a great job. Knowing the story behind this song makes it all the more memorable and spectacular. The lyrics are quite poignant, and I think that you don't have nearly as much work to do in your voice as you might think! We are always our own worst critics. I look forward to your next piece that include vocals.

Thanks Ember for your positive and kind feedback about the song and my singing smile It surely gives me more confidence to continue to use my own vocals blush

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/23/17 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janne
A nice arrangement with a pleasant melody. Well done.
Peter

Thanks Peter for listening and giving such a good review smile

Janne
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/24/17 05:10 AM
Hello, Janne

Congratulations on having the courage to do your first vocal!
Very tasty!
As Alan said, it's not nearly as bad as you think it is.
I also have a lot of pitch problems.
But I like to sing my songs by myself sometimes.
Certainly a good vocalist is great, so I am always looking for vocalists who often sing my songs.
However, the author's singing has a distinctive taste.
Please sing your songs more often.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/24/17 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Congratulations on having the courage to do your first vocal!
Very tasty!
As Alan said, it's not nearly as bad as you think it is.
I also have a lot of pitch problems.
But I like to sing my songs by myself sometimes.
Certainly a good vocalist is great, so I am always looking for vocalists who often sing my songs.
However, the author's singing has a distinctive taste.
Please sing your songs more often.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Best regards.
Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki for your congratulations, I really appreciate your kind words smile I hope to get technically more competent so that I can concentrate on the interpretation.

Janne
Posted By: RichMac Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/24/17 05:25 PM
Quite delightful Janne.
Enjoyed the melody story and vocals.
Go for it!
Cheers.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/25/17 03:49 AM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Quite delightful Janne.
Enjoyed the melody story and vocals.
Go for it!
Cheers.

Thanks RichMac for your kind comment, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my song smile

Janne
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/25/17 12:20 PM

I really enjoyed it! The vocals sound great to me!

Keep doing more like this!

smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/26/17 05:04 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I really enjoyed it! The vocals sound great to me!
Keep doing more like this!
smile

Thanks David, I appreciate your kind words smile And keep doing more songs like All This Time smile

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/27/17 10:21 PM
Janne, this is a beautiful song and I'm glad for you that you stepped forward to sing it! You did a fine job with it! There is a lot to really like in this song and the instrument choices sounded great! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/28/17 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Janne, this is a beautiful song and I'm glad for you that you stepped forward to sing it! You did a fine job with it! There is a lot to really like in this song and the instrument choices sounded great! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey for your encouraging words smile Originally I had more instruments in the arrangement, horns and electric guitars, but I think the song works better with this stripped down and more acoustic instrumentation.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/28/17 08:54 PM
HI Janne.

Great song!

Keep singing!

ROG.

Absolutely a cool, coooool song!!! Nothing wrong with the vocal except in the mixing. You really need to roll off the lows but your voice has a very warm sincere sound. I agree with ROG-keep singing!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: Did You See It Coming - 11/29/17 06:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Great song!
Keep singing!
ROG.

Absolutely a cool, coooool song!!! Nothing wrong with the vocal except in the mixing. You really need to roll off the lows but your voice has a very warm sincere sound. I agree with ROG-keep singing!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for your positive words smile Yes, I'm still learning how to mix my own vocal, thanks for the tip concerning lows smile

Janne
© PG Music Forums