PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 11:41 AM
Soul Stealer

Over two years ago we posted Soul Stealer in an audio only format, then forgot about, then remixed it with a video last year, then forgot about the video and then, in a rare moment of old guy clarity, I recently realized we never posted the video smile

By our “old school” standards it’s a bit early to post our Christmas song so here ya go with a little eight bar blues ditty…redux.
Thanks for watching/listening and for your time should you comment.

J&B

Vocal: Janice
Drums: RD blues rock
Bass: RT 734 Jazz simple option
Guitar Rhythm: RT 1984 easy listening
Mandolin Solo: RT 2178 country (comped from multiple regens)
Piano Solo: RT 2368 blues solo ac (comped from multiple regens)
Piano Rhythm: RT 2167 country
Mixing/Mastering: A host of Izotope products

Soul Stealer

outa my dream you walked into sight
I thought I'd finally seen the light
and though your eyes shone that night
I didn't know you were a soul stealer

I didn't offer it for sale, it got stole
maybe it had all been foretold
but you carried me over our threshold

for many years you played me hard
I'd been better off just left scarred
but I let you tear down my guard

you took me out to the crossroad
I saw the signs but never slowed
should have known what it forebode
I know now you are a soul stealer

yeah you are a soul stealer

© 2015 Janice & Bud Merritt
Soul Stealer
Posted By: Scott C Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 12:39 PM
Very cool tune. Super backtrack. Loved the piano and mandolin. Super lyric. Janice's vocal was superb. Loved her phrasing. Made the song so three dimensional. Video and production were also super Bud. Thanks for sharing..
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 03:50 PM
Bud,
I`m glad your memory nudged this one back into the light as its such a good moody lyric... and Janice really got into the vocal with feeling. There`s some great bent notes and swoops in there that draw out and punch home the words.
I was expecting a guitar solo in the break;the mandolin came as a nice surprise.

Robert
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 04:47 PM
Great work with this Janice & Bud! Very classic bluesy vibe with this song that is quite enjoyable. Excellent vocals as always. Well done!
Posted By: bluage Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 05:42 PM
Dear Ms. Janice & "Bud"...

Oo-o-o, lawd, lawd, have mercy, yes, chile! G'awn 'head an' sang them BLUES, Ms. Janice!

Your voice squeezes out so much "you-done-me-wrongness" from the lyrics that they drip onto the floor and run down the cracks in the wood.

The combination of Real Tracks was perfect for setting the mood of the song, 'specially that resonant, tip-toeing acoustic bass, which made the "soul stealer" sound like a cat burglar on a jazz tip.

And who would'a thought that a mandolin performance could swing so sweet n' low! That's some inspired musical "casting" that works.

I could drink songs like this from a cup all day!

LOREN

Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 06:19 PM
Glad you remembered. This is a great tune guys. Thanks for listing.
Rob.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 08:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool tune. Super backtrack. Loved the piano and mandolin. Super lyric. Janice's vocal was superb. Loved her phrasing. Made the song so three dimensional. Video and production were also super Bud. Thanks for sharing..

Thanks for the great review Scott. Glad you liked the mando. Although a country RT there’s a lot of blues in his playing.

J&B
Posted By: RichMac Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/01/17 10:39 PM
Hi.
There's that blues singer again.
Real old time sound. So nice.
I love the 12 bar blues and the lyrics are spot on.
Much enjoyed. Cheers.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 12:10 AM
Great video Bud,

this is a smooth slow burning inferno of a song

super vocals

great feel, great job

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 11:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Bud,
I`m glad your memory nudged this one back into the light as its such a good moody lyric... and Janice really got into the vocal with feeling. There`s some great bent notes and swoops in there that draw out and punch home the words.
I was expecting a guitar solo in the break;the mandolin came as a nice surprise.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Glad you like the phrasing. We posted this at another forum a couple of years ago and somebody commented on the excessive “vocal dancing.” smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 11:59 AM
Great stuff Janice and Bud!

Janice is her usual cool self, I've mentioned many times how much I dig her phrasing and tone.

Backtrack sounds great, love the piano especially.

And killer job on the mix, Bud! Just about perfect to these ears.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 06:14 PM
We don't recall hearing this two years ago, but then again you guys have come up with so many great songs, this one may have slipped through the cracks blush
But: Very cool song!
Janice is at her best in this kind of songs and once again a very interesting lyric video to go with it.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 06:46 PM
I love when people post up their older content as I wasn't around then to hear how people have evolved, or what they were doing a year or more ago musically. This was a really great song, and the video had some pretty images in it as well.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 08:48 PM
Bud / Janice

I remember this slow burner. Really liked the images and colour scheme you have used to back up Janice's "soul"ful vocal.
Excellent work all round and a great complement to a great song.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 10:10 PM
Hi Bud & Janice !

Ain´t gettin´ any better
than this !!! And if it does
don´t know whatta do !!!
This fabulous tune with
this fabulous voice also
stole my heart too !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Al-David Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/02/17 10:58 PM
Hi!

Can't recall hearing this one a couple of years ago. Sure did enjoy this, though! When I think of the blues, half a dozen names come to mind, but the first three are: Ray Charles, BB King and Janice Merritt.

Loved everything thing about this. Super listen! best to you both,

Alan
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/03/17 02:51 PM
First, I am such a fan of lyric videos over any other kind of video. I'm sure I've mentioned that before; but I really like how you allow us to still create the song for yourselves. Thank you for that!

Now to address the pack of elephants in the room. Yes, one elephant would not have been sufficient. If you continue to post Janice singing this way, I can't guarantee no one is going to steal her away to sing anything and everything under the sun. Have you considered maybe having her hit a wrong note here or there? Maybe use bad intonation on occasion? Just suggestions of course. I have a feeling she may not even be capable of such things.

In all seriousness, tell me/teach me your methods for melody embellishment. Is it both of you playing off of each other? I'm ALWAYS impressed with anyone that can take a 1 syllable word and craft it into multi-syllables effortlessly; YET have it sound like your aren't just doing it to do it. It's just great and smart melody creation. My God, it's awesome!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/04/17 05:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work with this Janice & Bud! Very classic bluesy vibe with this song that is quite enjoyable. Excellent vocals as always. Well done!

Thanks Joe!

J&B

Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear Ms. Janice & "Bud"...

Oo-o-o, lawd, lawd, have mercy, yes, chile! G'awn 'head an' sang them BLUES, Ms. Janice!

Your voice squeezes out so much "you-done-me-wrongness" from the lyrics that they drip onto the floor and run down the cracks in the wood.

The combination of Real Tracks was perfect for setting the mood of the song, 'specially that resonant, tip-toeing acoustic bass, which made the "soul stealer" sound like a cat burglar on a jazz tip.

And who would'a thought that a mandolin performance could swing so sweet n' low! That's some inspired musical "casting" that works.

I could drink songs like this from a cup all day!

LOREN

Thanks Loren for all of the above comments you made. We much appreciate them. Thanks for mentioning the bass -- I always spend extra time trying to get an acoustic bass to sit nicely in a mix. Guess it comes from having played one for so long!

Hey, we LOVE your new song! Will comment soon.

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/04/17 06:19 PM

Super sound and excellent real tracks choice.
Great mandolin sound.

super performance as usual.

Sergio
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/04/17 07:08 PM
A delicious slow blues.

Good blues write. Really like the AAAB rhyme scheme - and some cool rhymes they are...

The band is great. Impeccable mix.

A vocal as expressive as they come (no surprise there).

A delightful listen. The video images are nice - love the hues...

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/05/17 11:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Glad you remembered. This is a great tune guys. Thanks for listing.
Rob.

Thanks Rob (aka Mariachi Man)!

J&B
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/06/17 12:43 AM
Wow! what an amazing song. The vocals sound amazing. I feel like I'm transported to an old time cabaret listening to this. Great job.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/06/17 03:50 PM
Great to hear this one again!! Love the way Janice sings them blues!! Nice addition with the video too. Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/06/17 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi.
There's that blues singer again.
Real old time sound. So nice.
I love the 12 bar blues and the lyrics are spot on.
Much enjoyed. Cheers.

Thank you! We do love the blues.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/07/17 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great video Bud,

this is a smooth slow burning inferno of a song

super vocals

great feel, great job

Kenny

Slow burning Inferno....now that a cool and appreciated description!

Glad you liked it.

J&B
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/08/17 04:58 AM
Hello, Janice & Bud

It is a very legitimate blues.
Very orthodox!
The vocal of Janice is perfect for such music.
Her vocal accompanied with the piano echoed to the bottom of my heart.
Even if I use blues chord progression I can never write blues.
I really admire your works.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/08/17 05:15 AM
What a great collaboration.

This is just so cool form the very first note. Video slots in just so well. Glad you remembered!

Top effort, J & B Team.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/08/17 09:54 PM
This was a great one! The video sets the perfect mood.

So glad to hear it again.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/09/17 01:58 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Great stuff Janice and Bud!

Janice is her usual cool self, I've mentioned many times how much I dig her phrasing and tone.

Backtrack sounds great, love the piano especially.

And killer job on the mix, Bud! Just about perfect to these ears.

Thanks Dave for nice remarks. We are big fans of your productions and that makes your remarks all the more meaningful.

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/09/17 02:17 PM
Man, I don't know how I missed this one, but this is a great piece of work.

Fantastic production and great vocals as usual.

I really enjoyed this. Happy Holidays!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/10/17 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
We don't recall hearing this two years ago, but then again you guys have come up with so many great songs, this one may have slipped through the cracks blush
But: Very cool song!
Janice is at her best in this kind of songs and once again a very interesting lyric video to go with it.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Hey, glad you liked it and we appreciate the mention of the video!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/11/17 10:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I love when people post up their older content as I wasn't around then to hear how people have evolved, or what they were doing a year or more ago musically. This was a really great song, and the video had some pretty images in it as well.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Thank you Ember. We always appreciate your thoughtful posts.

J&B

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Bud / Janice

I remember this slow burner. Really liked the images and colour scheme you have used to back up Janice's "soul"ful vocal.
Excellent work all round and a great complement to a great song.

Thanks Peter! Glad you liked the vid.

J&B
Posted By: Jon Thomas Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/11/17 10:36 AM
First time I listen to this song. This is absolutely top notch, in every respect. I also LOVED the video, very much. It really adds to the experience. Great job guys!!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/11/17 12:02 PM
This is a well written blues tune. The vocal is to die for. I enjoyed the dancing and the gymnastics that only could be delivered by an extraordinarily talented singer. The mix is spot on and the real standout is the killer bass line and tone. Who woulda thunk that a mando solo would work so well? Enjoyed the video and am glad to hear this one again, Tom
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/12/17 07:40 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi Bud & Janice !

Ain´t gettin´ any better
than this !!! And if it does
don´t know whatta do !!!
This fabulous tune with
this fabulous voice also
stole my heart too !!!

Cheers
Dani

Hey Dani, you put a big smile on Janice's face!

Thanks

J&B

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi!

Can't recall hearing this one a couple of years ago. Sure did enjoy this, though! When I think of the blues, half a dozen names come to mind, but the first three are: Ray Charles, BB King and Janice Merritt.

Loved everything thing about this. Super listen! best to you both,

Alan

Dang Alan, being mentioned in the same sentence (same world!) as those guys lit Janice up like a Christmas tree. You are waaaaay too kind. We appreciate it very much!!

J&B
Posted By: rayc Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/12/17 10:56 PM
"Comping" re-generations to get the solos sorted - clever stuff. I'd not though of that strategy.
Good vocal over a nice backing.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/13/17 12:08 PM
J&B, everything in the song, to my ears and eyes is perfect!! Vocal can't be any better and for some reason the drums sounded extra good in this! As for the video, the imagery you have selected is mesmerizing! Just a great seamless production! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/14/17 07:49 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
First, I am such a fan of lyric videos over any other kind of video. I'm sure I've mentioned that before; but I really like how you allow us to still create the song for yourselves. Thank you for that!

Now to address the pack of elephants in the room. Yes, one elephant would not have been sufficient. If you continue to post Janice singing this way, I can't guarantee no one is going to steal her away to sing anything and everything under the sun. Have you considered maybe having her hit a wrong note here or there? Maybe use bad intonation on occasion? Just suggestions of course. I have a feeling she may not even be capable of such things.

In all seriousness, tell me/teach me your methods for melody embellishment. Is it both of you playing off of each other? I'm ALWAYS impressed with anyone that can take a 1 syllable word and craft it into multi-syllables effortlessly; YET have it sound like your aren't just doing it to do it. It's just great and smart melody creation. My God, it's awesome!

Wow! Thank you so much for those comments. It means a LOT!

This is Bud here...Janice is and has always been extremely modest regarding her vocal talents - yeah I biased! She had never sung at all other than in church as a kid until a friend (the late great Randy Howard -- check out our website) heard her singing under her breath at a bluegrass jam. We had been married seven years before I heard her sing! He encouraged her and within a few months she was singing lead and harmony in our bluegrass band (and playing rhythm guitar/mandolin). The best bluegrass singers are what we've always called "bent note" singers and Janice developed her style from that and later carried it into new genres with BiaB as we slowly moved away from bluegrass. She had always listened to blues and some jazz even while we were deep into bluegrass. Thank you so much for noting that. She doesn't really think that much about how to do it or even what's gonna come out smile I think she's a human saxophone! She'll blush for an hour if she sees this response.

Again thank you very much!

Bud
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/16/17 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Super sound and excellent real tracks choice.
Great mandolin sound.

super performance as usual.

Sergio

Thanks Sergio. Glad you liked the mandolin.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis
Wow! what an amazing song. The vocals sound amazing. I feel like I'm transported to an old time cabaret listening to this. Great job.

Thanks man, we appreciate that description!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great to hear this one again!! Love the way Janice sings them blues!! Nice addition with the video too. Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. Appreciate the video mention!

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice & Bud

It is a very legitimate blues.
Very orthodox!
The vocal of Janice is perfect for such music.
Her vocal accompanied with the piano echoed to the bottom of my heart.
Even if I use blues chord progression I can never write blues.
I really admire your works.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki. Thank you so much for the nice comments. We very much love your compositions and productions so your comments are very meaningful.

J&B

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
What a great collaboration.

This is just so cool form the very first note. Video slots in just so well. Glad you remembered!

Top effort, J & B Team.

Thanks and glad you liked the video!

J&B

Originally Posted By: gruverider
This was a great one! The video sets the perfect mood.

So glad to hear it again.

Thanks! Glad the vid worked for you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Man, I don't know how I missed this one, but this is a great piece of work.

Fantastic production and great vocals as usual.

I really enjoyed this. Happy Holidays!

Thanks David!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Jon Thomas
First time I listen to this song. This is absolutely top notch, in every respect. I also LOVED the video, very much. It really adds to the experience. Great job guys!!

Hey Jon, we appreciate your nice remarks. Glad you like the song and the video. We’ve been enjoying your songs.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Soul Stealer (video) - 12/16/17 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
A delicious slow blues.

Good blues write. Really like the AAAB rhyme scheme - and some cool rhymes they are...

The band is great. Impeccable mix.

A vocal as expressive as they come (no surprise there).

A delightful listen. The video images are nice - love the hues...

fj

Thanks floyd, always a great pleasure to have you mention the write. We appreciate all you said.

J&B

Originally Posted By: tommyad
This is a well written blues tune. The vocal is to die for. I enjoyed the dancing and the gymnastics that only could be delivered by an extraordinarily talented singer. The mix is spot on and the real standout is the killer bass line and tone. Who woulda thunk that a mando solo would work so well? Enjoyed the video and am glad to hear this one again, Tom

Thanks Tom. That literally makes it all worthwhile!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: rayc
"Comping" re-generations to get the solos sorted - clever stuff. I'd not though of that strategy.
Good vocal over a nice backing.

Thanks! Yep, cut and paste a stack of regens and it will often give you something special.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B, everything in the song, to my ears and eyes is perfect!! Vocal can't be any better and for some reason the drums sounded extra good in this! As for the video, the imagery you have selected is mesmerizing! Just a great seamless production! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey! And thank Neutron for the drums.

J&B
© PG Music Forums