PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer A New Life - 12/09/17 05:10 PM
https://soundcloud.com/richrayer/a-new-life

I became a grandfather last Monday and was inspired to write this for my new grandson. The piece was started in BiaB then ported to Finale for development and engineered in Sonar X3 where I recorded myself on clarinet for the melody.
Posted By: Scott C Re: A New Life - 12/09/17 05:43 PM
Beautiful piece of music and congratulations. What a wonderful gift to be able to create something so special from the heart that your grandchild will have and know it was done especially for them. Well done
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: A New Life - 12/09/17 06:18 PM

Nice music for your grandson. Congratulations. I am grandfather since two years
and I can understand what you feel in these moments. A great change in your life!

Sergio
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: A New Life - 12/09/17 07:31 PM
What a great melody.The clarinet works really well with this.
Congratulation and thanks for listing. Rob
Posted By: animarorecords Re: A New Life - 12/10/17 02:47 AM
Hello, Rich

Very beautiful song!
Your clarinet is also very nice.
It is a really wonderful present for your grandson. Congratulations.
The modulation from G major Key to Cm via B7 is wonderful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/10/17 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
[It's]special from the heart that your grandchild will have and know it was done especially for them. Well done

Thanks Scott. I hope (when he is old enough that he will appreciate it and enjoy it for years to come.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/10/17 11:14 AM
Thank you Sergio for the kind comments. It was fun to put the piece together.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: A New Life - 12/11/17 12:02 AM
Rich,

Very well done, both in the inspiration and the creation!
Lovely melody and its nice to hear your clarinet playing.

Robert
Posted By: Al-David Re: A New Life - 12/11/17 01:01 AM
Hi Rich,

This is so beautiful! Wonderfully conceived, developed and performed. Really, really nice!.

Congratulations. We're old hands at being grandparents ... we have grandchildren who have graduated college. My wife and I are both in our 70s. You have some great 9and a few trying0 times ahead of you. Enjoy him!

Merry Christmas.

Alan
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/11/17 09:50 AM
Thank you Rob. The melody was inspired and came straight from the heart. Band-in-a-Box gave me the chance to test out chords and styles.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/11/17 09:52 AM
Thank you Shigeki Adachi. I like your analysis of the chord structure. That part of the progression was the most interesting point of the creation and I am glad you enjoyed hearing it.
Posted By: tommyad Re: A New Life - 12/11/17 11:56 AM
Congradulation on new family member. I can relate. A nice tribute to your grandson, Tom
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A New Life - 12/11/17 03:56 PM
Congratulations on the song.

More so, congratulations on your new arrival! smile

I really liked the string arrangements. Very pleasant.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A New Life - 12/12/17 10:17 AM
Thanks for sharing and may he play it some day for his son and grandson.

Lovely!

J&B
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/12/17 10:33 AM
Thank you Tom. I am glad you had a chance to listen to the piece.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/12/17 10:35 AM
The string arrangement was fun to put together. Nothing really special except some mirror passages from the melody. Thank you for listening VideoTrack.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/12/17 05:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Thanks for sharing and may he play it some day for his son and grandson.

That would be awesome! To think a piece of music I wrote would last a few more generations. Thanks for the listen and kind words.
Posted By: RichMac Re: A New Life - 12/12/17 06:16 PM
Ah new beginnings.
Very sweet.
Congratulations.
Good to hear a strong melody.
Cheers.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/13/17 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Rich,

This is so beautiful! Wonderfully conceived, developed and performed. Really, really nice!.

Thank you for listening and commenting. I appreciate it.

Merry Christmas to you as well.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/13/17 10:13 AM
I was happy with how the melody developed as well. The chord structure and some of the BiaB parts really helped me to realize the melody that just seemed to want to come out!

Thank you for listening RichMac!
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/15/17 04:56 PM
If anyone is interested, I have updated this piece of music with work on the clarinet part and a remix and EQ in general. I think it is an improvement over the first listing of this piece. If you are interested in hearing this version, you can find it here:

https://soundcloud.com/richrayer/a-new-life-elliotts-song
Posted By: David Snyder Re: A New Life - 12/16/17 12:28 PM
Beautiful work Rich, I really enjoyed this. And congratulations on the new arrival.

Merry Christmas!

smile
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/16/17 05:16 PM
Thanks David and Merry Christmas to you as well!
Posted By: bluage Re: A New Life - 12/16/17 09:46 PM
Mr. Rayer...

Even with its "rock ballad" rhythm, your "welcome-to-the-world" piece, "A New Life", maintains a tempo that is as elegant, and stately, even, as it is danceable. The strings arrangement behind your warm, open-toned clarinet is radiant and sweetly celebratory of the event. It's a musical herald of the good things to come in the wake of your grandson's birth. I'm sure it will mean a great deal to you, his family members, and to him, to listen to it again and again as he grows up through the procession of birthdays in his future.

LOREN
Posted By: RichRayer Re: A New Life - 12/17/17 09:46 AM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Even with its "rock ballad" rhythm, your "welcome-to-the-world" piece, "A New Life", maintains a tempo that is as elegant, and stately, even, as it is danceable. The strings arrangement behind your warm, open-toned clarinet is radiant and sweetly celebratory of the event.

Thank you so much for those comments. You have quite a way with words and you managed to capture the essence of the piece extremely well.
© PG Music Forums