PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 12:02 PM
I Am A Seeker

Our melody and some of the lyric are a derivative of "I am a Pilgrim" that has strong roots in traditional African-American spirituals. The earliest reference we found was 1864. It was popularized by Merle Travis in the late 1940's and has been recorded by hundreds of artists from the Byrds to Johnny Cash. We made lyric changes in the first three verses and wrote an entirely new fourth verse - all to more personalize it.

We based the last two lines of the lyric on Ghandi's "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world...as in being able to remake ourselves."

Happy New Year to all and comments are most welcome!

Vocal - Janice / two tracks w/ different FX stacked in the middle
Guitar 679: Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Sw 120 / fills comped from multiple tracks
Bass 1136: Acoustic-Guitar, FolkSwing Sw 110 / bars and notes comped from two tracks
(I rearranged a bit of the RT to play the notes that I would if I were not lazy and put new strings on my upright! FWIW)
Mandolin 610: Rhythm Chop Sw 120

Effects: Nectar 2 / Neutron / Waves Bass Rider / EMT 140 plate reverb sim
Mix: Logic Pro X
Mastering: Ozone 8 Adv
Equipment: Rodes NT1 mic / Focusrite interface / iMac

I Am A Seeker
© 2017 Janice and Bud Merritt
(A version of this was posted six years ago but this is a complete remake.)

I AM A PILGRIM AND A SEEKER
TRAVELING THROUGH THIS WONDROUS LAND
I MAY HAVE A HOME WAY ON DOWN THE ROAD, GOOD LORD,
BUT IT’S NOT (MY LORD, IT’S NOT) NOT MADE BY MAN

I’VE GOT FAMILY AND SOME GOOD FRIENDS
WHO HAVE GONE ON BEFORE
AND I WONDER IF I’LL EVER SEE ‘EM, GOOD LORD,
OVER ON (YES, OVER ON) SOME OTHER SHORE

I MAY CLIMB UP ON THAT HIGH MOUNTAIN
JUST TO REST MY WEARY SOUL
IF I COULD FIND BUT A MOMENT OF PEACE, DEAR LORD,
I DO BELIVE (I DO BELIEVE) IT MIGHT MAKE ME WHOLE

I AM A PILGRIM AND A SEEKER
TRYING TO DO SOME SMALL PART
I DON’T WANT TO CHANGE THE WORLD, GOOD LORD
ALL I WANT (LORD, ALL I WANT) IS TO CHANGE MY HEART
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 12:54 PM
Great vocal! (Of course smile and a great mix too.

Nice way to end out the year Janice and Bud!
Posted By: Belladonna Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 03:38 PM
Nice vocals and uplifting song. Happy New Year.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 05:11 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Great vocal! (Of course smile and a great mix too.

Nice way to end out the year Janice and Bud!

Thanks Dave. I let the Ozone robot master that one. smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 05:30 PM
Back now that Di is home from the hospital again and resting as comfortable as possible.

What a nice way to come back! This song has everything it needs and not a thing it doesn't need. I love that old southern spiritual flavor - not spiritual in the sense of "Praise the Lord", rather in using the humanity God gave me to make myself a better person.

Janice's voice is second to none and Bud's playing with the duials is always so danged superior. Everyrthi9ng about this says "Very nicely done". ANd it is. Happy New Year.

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Nice vocals and uplifting song. Happy New Year.

Thanks, glad you liked it!

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 09:20 PM
Top notch and crystal clear recording!
Did that Ozone 8 Advanced have anything to do with that wink ?
For now we will do with the basic 7 version eek

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: 44kfl Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/30/17 10:49 PM
Sounds great!!!

this song has a very charming quality

super vocal Janice, love the melody

nice mix, like the separation I'm hearing

instrument choices sound right on the money

love the new avatar,

Kenny
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/31/17 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Back now that Di is home from the hospital again and resting as comfortable as possible.

What a nice way to come back! This song has everything it needs and not a thing it doesn't need. I love that old southern spiritual flavor - not spiritual in the sense of "Praise the Lord", rather in using the humanity God gave me to make myself a better person.

Janice's voice is second to none and Bud's playing with the duials is always so danged superior. Everyrthi9ng about this says "Very nicely done". ANd it is. Happy New Year.

Alan

Glad y’all are together at home! Thanks for the nice review. Glad you liked the sentiment also. Yeah, I got some new virtual dials to twist. smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/31/17 11:27 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Top notch and crystal clear recording!
Did that Ozone 8 Advanced have anything to do with that wink ?
For now we will do with the basic 7 version eek

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks!

I used Ozone’s master assistant and nothing else but a one click change in it’s IRC selection. Everything else was auto. Lovin’ the tech.

J&B
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/31/17 03:05 PM

I've got a version of this song by the Byrds.
I liked it a lot.

You've made a great version; in this one there is a super bass.
All the other things are excellent.

Happy new 2018

Sergio
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/31/17 04:01 PM

Wow!!!

What a great sound, a great recording, and a great mix.

Love it!

Happy New Year Y'all!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/31/17 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Sounds great!!!

love the new avatar,

Kenny

Thanks Kenny! We’re loving your new tune. Happy new year!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Am A Seeker - 12/31/17 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Wow!!!

Love it!

Happy New Year Y'all!

Exactly what I was going to say!

This is fantastic.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/01/18 11:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

I've got a version of this song by the Byrds.
I liked it a lot.

You've made a great version; in this one there is a super bass.
All the other things are excellent.

Happy new 2018

Sergio

Thanks Sergio! That Byrd’s album, Sweet Heart Of The Rodeo, had a lot of good material on it.

J&B
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/01/18 11:57 AM
J&B, beautiful song! The new verse fits like a glove! Janice's vocal is so pleasant to listen to and it carries the song so well that there is no need for any backing vocal accompaniment! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: ROG Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/01/18 01:52 PM
Hi there J&B.

A faultless backing track and mix, which serves as the perfect platform for Janice
to leave me spell-bound as usual.

What else is there to say?

ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/01/18 10:16 PM

Wow!!!

Love it!

Happy New Year Y'all!

Thanks David and back to you with new year thang!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/01/18 10:23 PM
J&B,

Your lyrical changes give the song a more uplifting feel (particularly liked the change from "wearsome" to "wondrous land").
Lovely crystal clear mix ... and then there`s Janice singing the tune to make us forget anyone else ever did!

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/02/18 12:35 AM
Janice & Bud

Lovely. Simple but extremely effective backing - sounds crisp and professional and compliments Janice's performance. Liked the lyrical touches the dial twiddling and of course the vocal - could almost hear a choir singing along.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/02/18 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Wow!!!

Love it!

Happy New Year Y'all!

Exactly what I was going to say!

This is fantastic.

Thanks Mario. Best to you and yours this year.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/02/18 11:25 AM
Janice & Bud...

The clarity in this is stunning. Each instrument and vocal sitting perfectly against each other. At any one time the ears hear the bass, the mandolin, the acoustic guitar "doing their thing" AND perfectly supporting the vocal.

And what a gorgeous vocal it is. One of the best recorded vocals that has ever been posted here. I think.

Your re-write/addition - excellent.

Y'all are at the top of your game. Lucky us to be able to share that...

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/02/18 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B, beautiful song! The new verse fits like a glove! Janice's vocal is so pleasant to listen to and it carries the song so well that there is no need for any backing vocal accompaniment! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey. We're glad you like the minimalist arrangement!

J&B
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/03/18 10:43 AM
Gillian Welch, Allison Krauss, Rhonda Vincent, Janice Merritt....

Yep, she belongs right there with the greats.....

Stunning recording.

Bud, the stars aligned when they placed Janice's talent in your production hands. I don't think its the software Bud. You have what it takes hands down. (pun intended) ;=)

You don't often hear this specific type song end using a fade out but it works and adds that bit of modern and unique personal touch to the song to make it your own.

Superb on every level.

Charlie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/03/18 12:05 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there J&B.

A faultless backing track and mix, which serves as the perfect platform for Janice
to leave me spell-bound as usual.

What else is there to say?

ROG.

We appreciate that Rog! Those three backing tracks proved to be more of a challenge than I anticipated. Glad they worked for you.

J&B
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/03/18 01:12 PM
hi Janice&bud awesome job perfect vocal mix great production thanks eric
Posted By: tommyad Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/03/18 05:52 PM
J&B, this is another in a long line of great vocals. The mix is crystal clear and the instruments are placed perfectly. The added verse is just right. Absolutely top shelf from the song picked to the finished product. Tom
Posted By: gruverider Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/03/18 08:30 PM
Wow! The vocals really cut through fabulously! Great performance, mix and production!

Wonderful song!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/03/18 10:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B,

Your lyrical changes give the song a more uplifting feel (particularly liked the change from "wearsome" to "wondrous land").
Lovely crystal clear mix ... and then there`s Janice singing the tune to make us forget anyone else ever did!

Robert

Thanks for checking out the changes Robert. That was most thoughtful of you. And we’re delighted that you liked them. Thanks for mentioning the mix and Janice’s vocal. She was very happy when reading it.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/04/18 11:40 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Janice & Bud

Lovely. Simple but extremely effective backing - sounds crisp and professional and compliments Janice's performance. Liked the lyrical touches the dial twiddling and of course the vocal - could almost hear a choir singing along.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Sometimes less is indeed more...but I’m never sure so your comments are very supportive of the effort.

J&B
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/04/18 11:41 AM
Bud and Janice
This is really beautiful! I love all those old spirituals. Nice nice nice!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/04/18 04:21 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice & Bud...

The clarity in this is stunning. Each instrument and vocal sitting perfectly against each other. At any one time the ears hear the bass, the mandolin, the acoustic guitar "doing their thing" AND perfectly supporting the vocal.

And what a gorgeous vocal it is. One of the best recorded vocals that has ever been posted here. I think.

Your re-write/addition - excellent.

Y'all are at the top of your game. Lucky us to be able to share that...

fj

Thanks so much for that review! I (Bud) spent considerable time comping bars that I thought supported the vocal and it is very cool that you felt it worked. And, we are both delighted that the "stacked tracks" on the vocal sounded good to you.

Thanks again!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/05/18 09:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Gillian Welch, Allison Krauss, Rhonda Vincent, Janice Merritt....

Yep, she belongs right there with the greats.....

Stunning recording.

Bud, the stars aligned when they placed Janice's talent in your production hands. I don't think its the software Bud. You have what it takes hands down. (pun intended) ;=)

You don't often hear this specific type song end using a fade out but it works and adds that bit of modern and unique personal touch to the song to make it your own.

Superb on every level.

Charlie

Charlie, the stars, the moons, the galaxies and the planets all aligned when I met Janice 40 years ago! Thank you for the kind and supportive words and I appreciate you mentioning the fade. I tried to time it to not distract. Glad you liked it.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/05/18 10:40 PM
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Janice&bud awesome job perfect vocal mix great production thanks eric

We appreciate it Eric!

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/06/18 12:25 PM
Janice & Bud,

What a great sound! Love the traditional feel of this one. Excellent pacing, vocal and mix.

Bob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/06/18 04:27 PM
Great one guys!! Not aware of the original but I'll have to check it out. This is a perfect arrangement, and Janice (Again) totally nails the vocal-BEAUTIFUL!! Some really interesting lyrics, and just a great vibe to the song. Loved it!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/06/18 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
J&B, this is another in a long line of great vocals. The mix is crystal clear and the instruments are placed perfectly. The added verse is just right. Absolutely top shelf from the song picked to the finished product. Tom

Thank you Tom. Praise from you regarding a mix is golden! We appreciate it.

J&B
Posted By: dani48 Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/06/18 09:47 PM
Hi, Bud & Janice !:))

This is just phenomenal
and probably the all time
best you´ve done as far as
I am concerned !

What clarity in that
beautiful voice too !!!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/07/18 10:03 AM
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Wow! The vocals really cut through fabulously! Great performance, mix and production!

Wonderful song!

We had hoped to do well with everything you mentioned. Your thoughts on it are most supportive and appreciate!

J&B
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/07/18 07:28 PM
Wow, talk about nailing a sound! That was just great. The feel is spot on, and I so get the influences you were referencing. Isn't the feel what this song is about? You can't fake that. You can't teach that. It's genuine...as it needs to be.

Janice's vocals. What could I possibly say that hasn't been said a hundred times...per song! I would have to lie and say it wasn't good or something. I guess, that wouldn't be a lie though would it? They're not good. They are outstanding...again...as always.

Now, I am a production junkie. I love how you can add, and add, and add to a song to make something that is so sonically interesting that there is always some ear candy to enjoy. I also equally love when someone has the insight to be able to do exactly AND only what is needed to support and give justice to the realism of a song. In short, to get out of the way, but perfectly support. That's what this production was. I could sit and listen to what WAS done and what WASN'T done (by intelligent choice) with total appreciation...and awe.

I am a seeker and found a great song smile

Posted By: Rob4580 Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/07/18 07:33 PM
History in a song. Wonderful write.
Sorry I missed this one. Rob
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/07/18 11:06 PM
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Bud and Janice
This is really beautiful! I love all those old spirituals. Nice nice nice!

Thank you Joanne. Yes, they are a treasure trove!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/09/18 02:31 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice & Bud,

What a great sound! Love the traditional feel of this one. Excellent pacing, vocal and mix.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It's great to see you around again!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/10/18 10:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great one guys!! Not aware of the original but I'll have to check it out. This is a perfect arrangement, and Janice (Again) totally nails the vocal-BEAUTIFUL!! Some really interesting lyrics, and just a great vibe to the song. Loved it!! Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg. We had hoped that you would like this - particularly the lyric.

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/12/18 10:35 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud & Janice !:))

This is just phenomenal
and probably the all time
best you´ve done as far as
I am concerned !

What clarity in that
beautiful voice too !!!

Cheers
Dani

Thank you Dani. We appreciate you saying that about the vocal!

J&B
Posted By: animarorecords Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/13/18 04:31 AM
Hello, Janice & Bud

This is correctly one of the roots of your music.
I have never heard any version of this song, but I immediately understood that.
I entirely agree with Kenny.
Sounds great!!!
love the new avatar,
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

All the best for 2018!

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: bluage Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/13/18 05:15 PM
Dear Ms. Janice & "Bud"...

I was raised as a "Catholic", but as a child in Chicago I spent a great deal of time in African-American churches of the Pentecostal, African Methodist, C.O.G.I.C. (Church of God In Christ) denominations and, let me tell you, the sound, the soul and the spirit of "I Am A Seeker" transported me back in time in a glorious way!

As I listened to Ms. Janice revealing her soul's desire to the good Lord, I recalled the sounds of hand-clapping, the richly harmonized call-and-response from the choir, the shouts of spirited affirmation from the congregation, and the minister's "Church say a-men? A-men, church, a-men, a-men, a-MEN! Praise gawd. P-r-a-i-s-e him", at song's end.

Your skillful editing (???) of the Real Tracks produced a simple, soothing and soulful accompaniment for Ms. Janice's testimonial.

I consider this as one of the best musical listening experiences I've had so far in this New Year of 2018, in or out of the User's Forum.

Sincerely,

LOREN
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/14/18 10:25 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Wow, talk about nailing a sound! That was just great. The feel is spot on, and I so get the influences you were referencing. Isn't the feel what this song is about? You can't fake that. You can't teach that. It's genuine...as it needs to be.

Janice's vocals. What could I possibly say that hasn't been said a hundred times...per song! I would have to lie and say it wasn't good or something. I guess, that wouldn't be a lie though would it? They're not good. They are outstanding...again...as always.

Now, I am a production junkie. I love how you can add, and add, and add to a song to make something that is so sonically interesting that there is always some ear candy to enjoy. I also equally love when someone has the insight to be able to do exactly AND only what is needed to support and give justice to the realism of a song. In short, to get out of the way, but perfectly support. That's what this production was. I could sit and listen to what WAS done and what WASN'T done (by intelligent choice) with total appreciation...and awe.

I am a seeker and found a great song smile

It’s difficult express how much a review like this means to us. We are but a few years into our new musical journey after leaving decades of playing and recording virtually nothing but traditional bluegrass. We always feel that we are still “winging” it with different genres, arrangements, etc. Your insightful and positive comments are supportive more than you could imagine.

Thank you!

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/16/18 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
History in a song. Wonderful write.
Sorry I missed this one. Rob

Thanks Rob...we’re really diggin’ your latest,

J&B
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/18/18 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice & Bud

This is correctly one of the roots of your music.
I have never heard any version of this song, but I immediately understood that.
I entirely agree with Kenny.
Sounds great!!!
love the new avatar,
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

All the best for 2018!

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you very much Shigeki for the very nice review. Most people who have heard this song remember it from "I Am A Pilgrim" on the Byrd's "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" album but there were much earlier versions. But they popularized it.

Thanks for listening and taking the time to write such kind words.

J&B
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/18/18 02:48 PM
Hey Janice & Bud, thanks for sharing this! Marvelous piece and very easy to listen to as usual. Keep up the great work! smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/18/18 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear Ms. Janice & "Bud"...

I was raised as a "Catholic", but as a child in Chicago I spent a great deal of time in African-American churches of the Pentecostal, African Methodist, C.O.G.I.C. (Church of God In Christ) denominations and, let me tell you, the sound, the soul and the spirit of "I Am A Seeker" transported me back in time in a glorious way!

As I listened to Ms. Janice revealing her soul's desire to the good Lord, I recalled the sounds of hand-clapping, the richly harmonized call-and-response from the choir, the shouts of spirited affirmation from the congregation, and the minister's "Church say a-men? A-men, church, a-men, a-men, a-MEN! Praise gawd. P-r-a-i-s-e him", at song's end.

Your skillful editing (???) of the Real Tracks produced a simple, soothing and soulful accompaniment for Ms. Janice's testimonial.

I consider this as one of the best musical listening experiences I've had so far in this New Year of 2018, in or out of the User's Forum.

Sincerely,

LOREN

Thank you so much Loren. Some of my (Bud) earlier musical memories are walking across a field from my grandmother’s house and listening to the singing from a small African-American church. I’d never heard anything like it and was mesmerized with the songs and the passion. We are so glad this reminded you of that feeling. I think that church lead me to my later love of the blues and R&B and about any singing of any genre that has soul. . Thanks for everything you said!!

J&B
Posted By: Noel96 Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/18/18 09:48 PM
Janice and Bud,

This truly is a really....

As many others have already said, the clarity of this production sparkles with brilliance. Janice's vocals really shine. I agree with floyd when he spoke about how everything sits perfectly in the mix and each individual component complements the other components so incredibly well. I found that if I tuned my hearing in, I could listen to each instrument and isoloate it from the rest. To my way of thinking, this is not only a sign of a great mix but it's also a testament to Bud's ability to produce at the very highest of levels.

May 2018 bring lots of good fortune your way!
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Am A Seeker - 01/20/18 10:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Janice and Bud,

This truly is a really....

As many others have already said, the clarity of this production sparkles with brilliance. Janice's vocals really shine. I agree with floyd when he spoke about how everything sits perfectly in the mix and each individual component complements the other components so incredibly well. I found that if I tuned my hearing in, I could listen to each instrument and isoloate it from the rest. To my way of thinking, this is not only a sign of a great mix but it's also a testament to Bud's ability to produce at the very highest of levels.

May 2018 bring lots of good fortune your way!
Noel

Noel, thank you for your comments regarding the vocal and the mix. Often the simplest sounding mixes are the hardest to get “right.” Your description of it means a lot to us. And best 2018 wishes to you also.

J&B
© PG Music Forums