PG Music Home
Posted By: eddie1261 As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 01:08 PM
Finally....!!

After a good deal of tweaking and bouncing things back and forth, Rog has finished applying just the right amount of pixie dust and this one is done! Put on your Zoot Suit and saddle shoes and prepare to swing into the New Year!

This one took some wrangling to get the feel I was after, but take 73 seemed to be the one! The only thing missing here is The Andrews Sisters, and they couldn't make the session because they are, well, dead....

Again, major kudos to Rog for his instrumental and engineering contributions.

As Long As You're Gone
Posted By: sslechta Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 01:47 PM
She had a medium rare..... nice. Sounded good guys.

Do you have more info Eddie & Rog, like instruments and BIAB styles used?

Loved it.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 03:01 PM
Style was _Crooner2 - Crooner Big Band w/ Piano

RealDrums-JazzShuffle^1-HiHat,Ride.WAV
RealBass 2126 Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Half,Half Sw 110
RealPiano 772 Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Jazz Sw 110
RealGuitar 938 Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm JazzFreddie Sw 1
RealStrings 2593 Horn Section, Background CroonerBigBand
RT2198 Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzySwinginPop Sw 120
RT2593 Horn Section, Background CroonerBigBand9-Part Sw 110

Rog replaced the drums.
The guitar was mixed WAY back. I mean WAY back, like "Was there a guitar?" back.
The 2198 Electric piano was taken out completely. I wanted the one piano to carry the rhythm.

The horn parts... oy. I did SO MUCH "shading" where I did swells and fades, moved a couple of parts around, and played some live sax in a few places to thicken the real tracks. In places I took out one or the other horn track because both of them together was cluttered and for this song I was after simplicity. I played the piano solo.

Those shouted backing vocal replies were supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek dig at how the big band era horn players used to shout out parts and whatever was picked up as ambient sound by the mics was it. Initially I thought about asking Rog to do some "Andrews Sisters" backing vocals because he does falsetto so well, but again, the goal was simplicity. I could not find a real drum preset that didn't have backbeat hat and/or snare and I wanted it to be, again, very simple, so Rog played those drums in with his AMAZING collection of drum samples. This snare is at just the crispy level I wanted for this piece.

With Rog's feel for drums I usually use Real Drums just as a place holder so I can work the song up to the point it heads east and he takes it from there.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 04:46 PM
That all works. You did a good job on the horns, the drums fit nicely. The bass is punchy. The call outs are fun.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 08:45 PM
hi eddie nice one enjoyed very much well mixed thanks eric
Posted By: MarioD Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 09:12 PM
Eddie, this is one of your best!

I liked the arrangement and especially your vocals and lyrics.

Great job on this one!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 10:02 PM
Thanks for the kudos, guys. This was a fun write and a rough tweak! LOL!
Posted By: Scott C Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/01/18 11:29 PM
Very cool collaboration. Super backtrack and vocal. Excellent listen
Posted By: PeterF Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/02/18 12:47 AM

Excellent use of the style - very evocative - clever all round.
Nicely mixed and performed.

Peter
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/03/18 11:20 AM
Great tune Eddie. Excellent vocal that really works. This is excellent on every level.

Enjoyed it.

Charlie
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/05/18 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. When I hear good things from people I consider to be the big hitters here it means a lot.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/06/18 11:05 AM
Eddie and Rog, that is a BIG sound with a lot happening and the soundstage and clarity are amazing. None of the players are stepping on one another and it sounds, well, like a well honed big band.

The write is cool, the call backs are perfecto for the style and the lead vocal is right where it should be and, Eddie, your timbre and diction made it very easy to understand the lyric. And, kudos on the instrumental performances.

All cool.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/06/18 04:24 PM
Great track Eddie!! (ROG is a great mixer/arranger). Love the style, and love the hook on this one. I recently used those crooner tracks in a song-they are cool! Really enjoyed this one!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: dani48 Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/06/18 07:59 PM
Hi, Eddie & ROG !

I am late to this guys
but I am glad I found this
little gem !

I think it must absolutely
be one of your absolute best
Eddie - and ROG:s mixing as
pro as always !

Super collab guys !

...and Happy New Year
to both of you too !!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/07/18 12:16 AM
Thanks to all for the encouraging feedback. That song was born the morning after I saw Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas special. I just had that big band thing in my head and I had some lyrics bopping in my head. The initial song came together in about 20 minutes. The tweaking, going back and forth with Rog, dealing with time zone differences and MANY tweaks I made that he had to deal with, it took maybe 5-6 days to finish it. I love when the writing just happens like that. The next thing I have going is a very somber sounding piece. About half of you will love it. The rest, not so sure... LOL!!!
Posted By: sslechta Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/07/18 12:56 AM
Nice reference to the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I have one of his Christmas CDs and I think I've worn the grooves off it the past 10 years I've had it. smile Very good music right there!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/07/18 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: sslechta
Nice reference to the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I have one of his Christmas CDs and I think I've worn the grooves off it the past 10 years I've had it. smile Very good music right there!

Well, CDs don't have grooves, but I understand what you mean!

Any band with 13 horn players is okay with me! And he has nothing but MONSTER players. I don't know how old that particular concert was but it has to be a few years because one of the backing singers was his now ex wife Julie. The other, Leslie Spencer, did a CD last year. Funny thing was, someone that tours with Brian Setzer actually had a Kickstarter offering pre-sale to fund her CD. Seems like maybe Brian doesn't pay all that well that she needed crowd funding?
Posted By: ROG Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/07/18 09:01 PM
Hey, many thanks to everyone who commented on the mix and also to Eddie for inviting me onto this project.

I love this song and I think it's got to be one of Eddie's very best, but as Eddie has already said, it wasn't the easiest mix we've ever done! We put things in, took things out, changed things around and the file must have crossed the Atlantic more times than the "Queen Mary".

Still, we got to the point where we were both pleased with it and we were still talking to each other, so perseverance finally paid off.

So, thanks to everyone who had the time to listen.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/07/18 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
The file must have crossed the Atlantic more times than the "Queen Mary".

Well, for SURE more times than the Titanic.....
Posted By: tommyad Re: As Long As You're Gone - 01/08/18 01:25 PM
Eddie, Nicely written and performed. Loved the shout outs. Rog, nicely mixed and mastered, everything in it's place. A really enjoyable listen, I liked it a lot, Tom
© PG Music Forums