PG Music Home
Posted By: Robertkc Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 12:06 AM
Girl With Siam Eyes

Written for my wife on our 10 yr anniversary.
As I said to her, comments are welcome and appreciated!

Style is R_POP16S.STY (Pop 16ths Ballad )
RT1603 bass,Electric,Pop16ths EV110,
RealTracks in song: 1765:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Fingerpicking Pop16ths Ev16 085
RealTracks in song: 1752:Accordion, Rhythm Pop8ths Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 1761:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming pop16ths Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2336:Viola, Background, Pop Ev 085 (1TrackStringSection)
RT 2337 Violin,Background,Pop 085
RT2280 Synth,Rhythm DiscoShakuhachiPulse Ev120
Percussion Loops

Girl With Siam Eyes

draw your dreams on a pebble
dropped in the village well
my paper boat so frail
sent on the ocean swell

dreams boats detours
all leading to Rome
you said I love you like this road
wont you walk me home

the girl with Siam eyes
barefoot in singing darkness
planting her sea of rice
my heart was starless
I`ll change my life
for the girl with Siam eyes

true as a prayer
hot chilli and sweetness
your light plays on our hills
shadows chased by forgiveness
now children on their wings
fly round your skirt to witness

the girl with Siam eyes
brushing grandmother`s hair
by the light of fireflies
our love begins there
the girl with Siam eyes
barefoot in singing darkness
planting her sea of rice
my heart was starless
I`ll change my life
for the girl with Siam eyes
the girl with Siam eyes

© Robert Cordrey June 2016
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 01:36 AM
Robert,

Congratulations to you and your wife on your 10th anniversary!

I found this composition of yours to be quite mesmerising. The language of impressionistic poetry wrapped in a musical texture that was both haunting and intriguing fascinated my imagination. In addition, every now and then it seemed to me that there was glimmer of Siam in the melody you were singing. You held my attention throughout.

A pleasantly haunting journey.

All the best for 2018!
Noel
Posted By: PeterF Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 03:29 AM
Robert

It's always hard following a review by Noel - he says it so well.
So I'll just at it was most enjoyable with wonderful set of lyrics.

Peter
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 03:54 AM
Robert, as I listened it occurred to me how rapidly your production skills are improving. I am noticing a lot of little fine touches showing up in your mixes and I am impressed how you are not afraid to step out of your comfort zone sometimes. This song though, is right in your wheelhouse so to speak! Great lyrics once again, they always are impressive to me. Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: bluage Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 03:55 AM
Mr. Cordrey...

I continue to be drawn (like the moth to the proverbial flame) to the poetic fireworks of your vivid, yet simultaneously sublime lyrics:

"...draw your dreams on a pebble..."
"...my heart was starless..."
"...true as a prayer..."
"...you said I love you like this road/wont you walk me home..."
(I am rendered nearly speechless by the lyrical imaginativeness of this line, and the way its imagery pairs with the emotion it describes and delivers, as though the words were holding each other's hands.)

Each of these lines are as spare as Japanese haiku, but somehow manage to ignite all five of my senses. Truly a sterling example of "less" being/becoming "more".

Your music as rendered by your Real Tracks choices seems somehow to combine the form of a passionately romantic medieval ballad with a classical "pop" feel that lends a timeless air to the song.

Very frequently I feel that love songs couldn't possibly squeeze out one more drop of anything truly original, lyrically speaking, and then, I stumble upon something like "The Girl with the Siam Eyes", and realize why the subject of love has nearly monopolized song creation for what seems like ages -- because their can be NO limit on the inspiration it sparks in our hearts and souls.

LOREN

Posted By: RichMac Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 04:16 AM
Very beautiful Robert.

Was drawn into the song and held by imaginative backing and soulful lyrics.

Cheers.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 11:48 AM
Sounds really good Robert, a headphone listen for sure! Love the way you have made use of the stereo spectrum.

Well written lyrics as always!

Congrats on your anniversary, she is very pretty!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 12:26 PM
Robert,

I agree with what has been said so far. This is a beautiful production and song all the way around.

Congratulations on your anniversary!

I feel a little bit of the Cat Stevens vibe going on here in the arrangement, which is a great thing in my book.

Well done!

Just one curiosity question, in the title and lyrics, what did you choose to use "Siam" instead of "Siamese"--the adjective. Just wondering from the creative choice standpoint....It was a very interesting choice and I was just wondering what led you to it.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 12:45 PM
Hey Robert another beautiful piece of music I am with bluage in this one Your lyrics just blow me away. Such a cool backtrack. I also got a Cat Stevens vibe from this well done
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 07:36 PM

Very nice song.
You 've made your own style and I could identify one of your song between many others:

always great feelings in them, always excellent lyrics and interpratations.

Congrats to you and your wife.

Sergio
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 07:40 PM
Good work on this. Rob
Posted By: furry Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 08:26 PM
BEAUTIFUL song Robert and congratulations on the 10th. We're 35 years ahead of you !!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Robert,

I found this composition of yours to be quite mesmerising. The language of impressionistic poetry wrapped in a musical texture that was both haunting and intriguing fascinated my imagination. In addition, every now and then it seemed to me that there was glimmer of Siam in the melody you were singing. You held my attention throughout.

All the best for 2018!
Noel

Noel,
Thank you for your good wishes and positive review.
I like the "impressionistic" way of writing so I`m glad that appealed to you.
The melody began from listening to a Thai pop song , so that would be the glimmer you hear!

Robert

Originally Posted By: PeterF

Robert

It's always hard following a review by Noel - he says it so well.
So I'll just at it was most enjoyable with wonderful set of lyrics.

Peter

Peter,
I`ve had that "how to follow Noel`s review?" feeling many times!
I`m happy you enjoyed the listen.

Robert

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Robert, as I listened it occurred to me how rapidly your production skills are improving. I am noticing a lot of little fine touches showing up in your mixes and I am impressed how you are not afraid to step out of your comfort zone sometimes. This song though, is right in your wheelhouse so to speak! Great lyrics once again, they always are impressive to me. Thanks, Torrey

I`m getting there by inches, Torrey- still waiting to settup new monitors which will probably have me weeping at some of the mixes I`ve posted!
Many thanks for your ongoing support.

Robert
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 08:36 PM
What a beautiful song! The lyrics are so heart warming and wonderfully thought out. I am sure that your wife really loved this song. Thanks for sharing this intimate song with all of us here!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: bluage
Mr. Cordrey...

I continue to be drawn (like the moth to the proverbial flame) to the poetic fireworks of your vivid, yet simultaneously sublime lyrics:

"...draw your dreams on a pebble..."
"...my heart was starless..."
"...true as a prayer..."
"...you said I love you like this road/wont you walk me home..."
(I am rendered nearly speechless by the lyrical imaginativeness of this line, and the way its imagery pairs with the emotion it describes and delivers, as though the words were holding each other's hands.)

Each of these lines are as spare as Japanese haiku, but somehow manage to ignite all five of my senses. Truly a sterling example of "less" being/becoming "more".

Your music as rendered by your Real Tracks choices seems somehow to combine the form of a passionately romantic medieval ballad with a classical "pop" feel that lends a timeless air to the song.

Very frequently I feel that love songs couldn't possibly squeeze out one more drop of anything truly original, lyrically speaking, and then, I stumble upon something like "The Girl with the Siam Eyes", and realize why the subject of love has nearly monopolized song creation for what seems like ages -- because their can be NO limit on the inspiration it sparks in our hearts and souls.

LOREN

Loren,
Wow... I`m stuck for words after that!
The line "I love you like this road" - my wife really did say that when we happened to be parked by the freeway years ago... following it up with " is that good English?" which made the line even more memorable.I`m waiting to see if she remembers it too!
I don`t write many love songs and am thrilled you felt this one took the form somewhere new.. thank you for saying so in such an eloquent way.

Robert
Posted By: rsdean Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 08:54 PM
Robert,

This is outstanding - I get "Suzanne" like feeling listening to this - very Leonard Cohen...

Excellent all around!

Bob
Posted By: 44kfl Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/13/18 09:03 PM
Beautiful write

very melodic

enjoyed the listen very much,

Kenny
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/14/18 04:12 AM
Hello, Robert

Very beautiful production!
Your vocal is very pleasant as usual.
The instruments of the accompaniment has somewhat the feeling of Asia, it's very fantastic.
Also, the fusion with American folk song feel is exquisite.
Very creative and full of originality.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

All the best for 2018!

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/14/18 11:02 AM
Robert,

All the best for 2018!
Noel

Robert, as I listened it occurred to me how rapidly your production skills are improving. I am noticing a lot of little fine touches showing up in your mixes ....Torrey

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I feel a little bit of the Cat Stevens vibe going on here in the arrangement, which is a great thing in my book.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.... I whole-heartly agree with all the sentiment expressed by Noel, Torrey, David...

This is a beautiful song, delivered well - the love included is obvious. The production builds nicely. The lyric is cinematic.

I always enjoy listening to your music... few more so that this one...

I am truly enjoying your music journey, Robert... hope it continues for many years to come...

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/14/18 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Very beautiful Robert.

Was drawn into the song and held by imaginative backing and soulful lyrics.

Cheers.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Sounds really good Robert, a headphone listen for sure! Love the way you have made use of the stereo spectrum.

Well written lyrics as always!

Congrats on your anniversary, she is very pretty!

Dave,
I appreciate that...just starting to get what panning carefully can do for a mix.
Thanks for your kind comments.
Robert

Robert,

I agree with what has been said so far. This is a beautiful production and song all the way around.

Well done!

Just one curiosity question, in the title and lyrics, what did you choose to use "Siam" instead of "Siamese"--the adjective. Just wondering from the creative choice standpoint....It was a very interesting choice and I was just wondering what led you to it.

I`m glad you liked this, David.
Funny I was just watching the PBS Cat Stevens show and wondering what if he`d kept writing?
Two reasons for the "Siam eyes" choice - when I hear "Siamese" I think of cats rather than Thailand...and its also way easier to sing!
Thank you for your listen and good wishes.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/14/18 05:08 PM
I agree with everything that has been said thus far.

Congrats on your tenth anniversary.

This is your best to date IMHO. Your vocal was perfect for this song but your lyrics took it over the top!

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/15/18 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Hey Robert another beautiful piece of music I am with bluage in this one Your lyrics just blow me away. Such a cool backtrack. I also got a Cat Stevens vibe from this well done

Thank you, Scott!

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Very nice song.
You 've made your own style and I could identify one of your song between many others:

always great feelings in them, always excellent lyrics and interpratations.

Congrats to you and your wife.

Sergio

Sergio,

It feels good to hear I have a recognizable sound; your listen and kind comments are appreciated!

Robert

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Good work on this. Rob

Thanks Rob!

Originally Posted By: furry
BEAUTIFUL song Robert and congratulations on the 10th. We're 35 years ahead of you !!

Graham,
That made me smile... will I still have new words to express love and appreciation when we reach that impressive milestone?

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/15/18 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
What a beautiful song! The lyrics are so heart warming and wonderfully thought out. I am sure that your wife really loved this song. Thanks for sharing this intimate song with all of us here!

Ember,
I`m glad you liked this...its actually a revised version of a song I wrote to accompany a video made last year. I expect there`s a response from my wife on Facebook where I have to post songs I really want her to hear!

Robert
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/16/18 02:34 PM
"The language of impressionistic poetry wrapped in a musical texture that was both haunting and intriguing fascinated my imagination. "

Not much to add after that.

Congrats on the 10th and were I (Bud) a writer of your skills I would write one for Janice this very minute.

Kudos also on the arrangement and mix. Very nice.

Superb.

J&B
Posted By: tommyad Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/16/18 03:07 PM
Robert, I like the production on this. The write, vocal and arrangement are top notch. I enjoyed it very much, Tom
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/16/18 08:38 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Robert,

This is outstanding - I get "Suzanne" like feeling listening to this - very Leonard Cohen...

Excellent all around!

Bob

Bob,
Thank you- that`s very kind.

Robert
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Beautiful write

very melodic

enjoyed the listen very much,

Kenny

Thank you very much, Kenny!

Robert

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Robert

Very beautiful production!
Your vocal is very pleasant as usual.
The instruments of the accompaniment has somewhat the feeling of Asia, it's very fantastic.
Also, the fusion with American folk song feel is exquisite.
Very creative and full of originality.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

All the best for 2018!

Shigeki Adachi

Hi Shigeki,
I`m pleased you heard a bit of Asian influence in there;I appreciate your thoughtful review and ongoing support!

Robert
Posted By: gruverider Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/17/18 07:19 PM
Very well written. Engaging chord changes and thoughtful arrangement.

Wonderful and emotive!

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/17/18 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

All the best for 2018!
Noel

Robert, as I listened it occurred to me how rapidly your production skills are improving. I am noticing a lot of little fine touches showing up in your mixes ....Torrey

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.... I whole-heartly agree with all the sentiment expressed by Noel, Torrey, David...

This is a beautiful song, delivered well - the love included is obvious. The production builds nicely. The lyric is cinematic.

I always enjoy listening to your music... few more so that this one...

I am truly enjoying your music journey, Robert... hope it continues for many years to come...

fj

Floyd makes my day!
Many thanks for keeping an ear to my songs.

Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/18/18 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I agree with everything that has been said thus far.

Congrats on your tenth anniversary.

This is your best to date IMHO. Your vocal was perfect for this song but your lyrics took it over the top!

Two thumbs up.

Thank you, Mario!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"The language of impressionistic poetry wrapped in a musical texture that was both haunting and intriguing fascinated my imagination. "

Not much to add after that.

Congrats on the 10th and were I (Bud) a writer of your skills I would write one for Janice this very minute.

Kudos also on the arrangement and mix. Very nice.

Superb.

J&B

J&B,
The lyrics were the result of many months thinking about how to make a portrait that would be unique to my wife - and also hint at her culture, which was part of the attraction for me. Glad you felt I did good!
Just set up new Rokit monitors and can tell they are going to change mixes - no more guessing if the headphone take is good enough.
Cheers,
Robert
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/20/18 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Robert, I like the production on this. The write, vocal and arrangement are top notch. I enjoyed it very much, Tom

Tom,
Thank you for your listen and likes!

Robert

Originally Posted By: gruverider
Very well written. Engaging chord changes and thoughtful arrangement.

Wonderful and emotive!

much enjoyed!

I`m glad you enjoyed this; thanks for your kind comments.

Robert
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/20/18 03:55 PM
Robert,

You've excelled. This is just so creative, poetry put to song.

Absolutely perfect in every way, musically it takes you on a beautiful a journey.

Thoroughly enjoyable, and sensitively beautiful. The girl with the Siam eyes is very lucky, indeed.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/21/18 02:59 AM
Hi, Robert.

I found the lyrics to be wonderful, but a bit hard to hear over the guitar.

The arrangement had a unique sound - sparse, and driven by the high arpeggiating guitar - which was very cool.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/21/18 06:07 AM
Hi Robert,

First, congratulations to you and your wife!

I real enjoy how you've expanded your versatility in style. It's been a very pleasant experience! This is a truly wonderful song and what a treat to listen to. Thank you for a great listen. Best to you & your wife.

Alan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/21/18 05:42 PM
Beautiful song Robert!! I'm sure your wife loves it-I think my wife would have appreciated a song from me when we were at the 10 year mark. Now it's "Oh yeah...it's OK....but you repeat that part too much". Love the arrangement and the mix. Great song! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/22/18 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Robert,

You've excelled. This is just so creative, poetry put to song.

Absolutely perfect in every way, musically it takes you on a beautiful a journey.

Thoroughly enjoyable, and sensitively beautiful. The girl with the Siam eyes is very lucky, indeed.

Thank you, VideoTrack!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Robert.

I found the lyrics to be wonderful, but a bit hard to hear over the guitar.

The arrangement had a unique sound - sparse, and driven by the high arpeggiating guitar - which was very cool.

David,
Thanks for your listen and comments.
Just had another listen, (after all the production work I find it helpful to leave songs be for a week or so) this time on new monitors. Unusually for me, I actually think I got the vocals/instrument volume balance right on this one, but do hear places where the intonation is a bit slurred.
Yes that`s a nice high strung guitar track.

Robert
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/22/18 12:42 PM
Yes, beautiful haikus set to music.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Girl With Siam Eyes - 01/23/18 08:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Beautiful song Robert!! I'm sure your wife loves it-I think my wife would have appreciated a song from me when we were at the 10 year mark. Now it's "Oh yeah...it's OK....but you repeat that part too much". Love the arrangement and the mix. Great song! Take care. Greg

Greg,
Thanks for that; yes, I did get a " beautiful" comment, though my wife also pointed out the correct pronunciation is SeeAm rather than the "western" Siam I used!

Cheers,
Robert

Originally Posted By: Marty Sorensen
Yes, beautiful haikus set to music.

Marty,
That`s a really cool comment - thank you!

Robert
© PG Music Forums