PG Music Home
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic NEW TWEAK: WINTER'S SONG - 01/31/18 05:56 PM
Hey Gang!

So, I think I've got it right this time. A bit fuller, softer, and more moving. It makes me want to sit by the fireplace with a blankie and a cup of hot chocolate! =D

If you've got a minute to relax, give it a listen!

Thanks again for all your support,

Dave

https://soundcloud.com/davebrooksmusicfactory/winters-song
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: NEW TWEAK: WINTER'S SONG - 01/31/18 07:22 PM
Dave, it’s lush and rich with beautiful sound all around! Sounds great! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW TWEAK: WINTER'S SONG - 02/01/18 08:07 PM
Thanks Bro!

I hope all is well with you. How that guitar doing??? ;->

Thanks for your kind comments...

All the best,

Dave
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: NEW TWEAK: WINTER'S SONG - 02/02/18 11:07 AM
Well done, Dave - you capture the winter feeling perfectly here. It has a chilling and calm feel to it. I would imagine this sound fantastic as part of a movie soundtrack. It definitely had a cinematic sort of atmosphere going on. Plus the way you mixed all the instruments together here really adds to that effect.

Great work, and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/02/18 07:41 PM
Hi Deryk;

Thanks you for your comments. I agree that this song has a cinematic feel. I might put together some slides of winter scenes and post it on YouTube.

Thanks for the idea!

Dave
Posted By: edshaw Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/02/18 08:46 PM
Interesting. I listened, then thought to post something along the lines of how I felt the track lended itself to work as a movie soundtrack. (I have been working with video lately, so I'm natrurally thinking that way. Not really surprised, then, reading through the comments, others noticed the same thing.
You could have a lot of fun mixing in winter photography and other themes. Did you know you can go to Wikimedia commons and screen capture great photos to your heart's content? The software, screen cap and video edit, is already in your Mac or PC system. (Hint: size all the pictures to 854 X 480 for consistency. 854 and as close to 480 as possible.)
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/03/18 02:39 PM
Hey Ed:

Long time no hear! Thanks for your thoughtful advice!!! NO PRESSURE!!! =D

I was up most of the night thinging about how to attempt this. I truly appreciate your info. Stay tuned, I'll let you all know when I'm done!!!

All the best,

Dave
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/03/18 11:10 PM
Nice job Dave . Cool tune
Posted By: Ian Ferrin Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/04/18 05:28 AM
Very Nice Dave,

The mix needs a bit of work IMO. The biggest problem is that one of the solo strings distorts near the end of the tune. You may need to play around with the individual levels and overall volume.

You can hear some reverb tails getting cut short on the piano, or maybe the strings. BIAB seems to do this with some ambient sounds. You might lessen this effect by adding extra reverb to whichever sound is doing this.

I enjoyed listening to your tune.

Peace,

Ian
Posted By: edshaw Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/04/18 05:41 PM
Sure thing, Dave...you are more than welcome.
If you were to add a video track, most likely of winter
scenes, and then overdub a narration, you could time
in in such as way as to vary the audio level, adding
more dynamics than you already have; it's done all the
time.
Here is a list of PD poetry that would fit. Robert Frost
was captivated by winter in the country.
http://www.publicdomainpoems.com/robertfrost.html
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/04/18 06:59 PM
This is just beautiful. Super string leads. Outstanding chord progression.

This is really good.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: NEW TWEAK: WINTER'S SONG - 02/05/18 11:17 AM

Soundin' really good here man. I enjoyed this!!
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/06/18 04:35 PM
Hi Ian!

Nice to meet you! Yes there are a few violin "plunks" that are driving me nuts. so, I attempted to lessen their exposure. If you listen to my most recent (today) I've gotten rid of most of them. the few minor ones I left alone to give the string attack authenticity.

Thanks for your good ear. If you have a moment I'd appreciate you giving it another try. Opinions greatly appreciated!!!

All the best,
Dave
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/06/18 04:42 PM
Hi Ed!

Thanks for the info. I putting things together now to bring this to life. I may have to call on you if I run into a jam (or peanut butter)! =S

All the best,

Dave
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/08/18 05:32 PM
Hi Scott!

Good to see you're still driving the ladies crazy! =D
Thanks for your kind comments.

Trying to push things up a notch or two!

All the best,
Dave
Posted By: RichMac Re: NEW TWEAK: WINTER'S SONG - 02/08/18 06:48 PM
Hi Dave.

Many cool things happening and i'm starting to get used to it!
Something like Dr Zhivago in the 21st century.
Some great sounds in there.

Cheers.
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW TWEAK: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/09/18 07:01 PM
Hi Ed!

I decided to follow your advice and make a video of "Winter's Song." It's now complete and ready to post. Since I'm new to this, I'm trying to make it to YouTube, wish me luck!

I also did a final mix on "Winter's Song" to make it sound more like a soundtrack. I was finally able to clean up the violin track's plunk anomalies that were driving me nuts. I also balanced out the volumes on the piano and pads. It now sounds like some European mix professional got a hold of it!!! =D

Thanks again for your inspiration,

All the best,
Dave

Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic Re: NEW VIDEO: "WINTER'S SONG" - 02/09/18 09:16 PM
Zup "Mr. Rich???"

I hope you are good. Thanks for your kind comments. I recently re-mixed the entire song because there were some violin anomalies that were driving me nuts. So, I decided to make it sound more like a soundtrack and "mellowed" everything out.

I also created a video of stills depicting the scenes of Winter, now on Youtube.com. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks again,
Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru1VHVONWaE&feature=youtu.be

© PG Music Forums