PG Music Home
Posted By: gruverider Charon - 02/25/18 08:53 PM
https://soundcloud.com/lawrence-olivier/charon

In the summer of 1997 I went on a four-week retreat to north Louisiana. I was five hours from home, so I brought my Korg X-3 along. I composed this song while there, but as sometimes happens I lost the original tracks to a computer crash.

I found a stereo mp3, but the production was rough. And although I did not use any BIAB on this song, I did use some of the production techniques that I have learned while working with BIAB.

The title was chosen to represent contrasts and parallels. Charon ferries people between two worlds. This song has two meters 7/4 and 4/4. The main melody is repeated once by flute and then by saxophone and then the whole “verse” is repeated after a bridge. The “solo” section has an urban, city-at-night feel with the bass, drums and saxophone; while the rest of the song has a more ominous atmosphere.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Charon - 02/25/18 09:37 PM
Very neat intro Lawrence. Would be very cool to see you sitting on a big hill in he backwoods of Louisiana playing this song the wilderness..
Posted By: rsdean Re: Charon - 02/26/18 07:12 AM
Lawrence,

I like this a lot - a very subtle undercurrent of swirling and perfectly timed changes really keeps this moving along...

Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Charon - 02/26/18 07:49 AM
Epic! Held my attention right to the end, very hypnotic. Excellent composition and mix!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Charon - 02/26/18 12:59 PM
Wow - what an interesting and captivating tune! It reminds me of certain stuff by Art of Noise in the 80's, or some video game music from the early 90's. I loved the change ups through it - the whole tune just flows so magnificently. It changes so delicately and you almost don't catch unless you are paying close attention.

You should be very proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Charon - 02/26/18 03:17 PM
Lawrence,
This is a surprise - a style I haven`t heard from you before- and you`ve done a really good job on rescuing your original mp3.
Very smooth progressions and subtle changes in the rhythm - and a great atmososphere which reminds me of the best electronic bands like Kraftwerk.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: Charon - 02/26/18 09:00 PM
Lawrence, I love stuff like this and you did it justice. Great instrumentation and song construction. Plus a super mix of synth and acoustic sounds.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Charon - 02/26/18 09:09 PM
Hi, Lawrence !

This is just a wonderful
tune ! Am so impressed
by everything from playing
to mix !:)))

...and the river is Styx !!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Charon - 02/26/18 09:34 PM
Lawrence,

Excellent.

Great listen. Solid mix.

Engaging.

fj
Posted By: RichMac Re: Charon - 02/26/18 09:54 PM

Hi Lawrence this is something engagingly different.

The unusual meters sound very easy on the ear.
Which I found a bit of a surprise.
Good one.

Cheers.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Charon - 02/26/18 11:53 PM
Lawrence

That was very impressive indeed! A really excellent composition.

Peter
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Charon - 02/27/18 09:31 PM
I'm loving the pads!

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Charon - 02/27/18 10:20 PM

Man, this is cool. What a production! I loved this!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Charon - 03/02/18 08:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very neat intro Lawrence. Would be very cool to see you sitting on a big hill in he backwoods of Louisiana playing this song the wilderness..
Thank you. and that's where I was!lol

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Lawrence,

I like this a lot - a very subtle undercurrent of swirling and perfectly timed changes really keeps this moving along...

Excellent!

Bob
Thank you Bob. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Epic! Held my attention right to the end, very hypnotic. Excellent composition and mix!
Dave, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - what an interesting and captivating tune! It reminds me of certain stuff by Art of Noise in the 80's, or some video game music from the early 90's. I loved the change ups through it - the whole tune just flows so magnificently. It changes so delicately and you almost don't catch unless you are paying close attention.

You should be very proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile
Thanks for listening and for the nice comments.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Lawrence,
This is a surprise - a style I haven`t heard from you before- and you`ve done a really good job on rescuing your original mp3.
Very smooth progressions and subtle changes in the rhythm - and a great atmososphere which reminds me of the best electronic bands like Kraftwerk.

Robert
Robert thank you. I haven't written anything like this in quite sometime but hope to not only get back to it but to see how BIAB will fit in.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Charon - 03/02/18 09:36 PM
Great work on this Gruverider! Nice use of synths!
Posted By: Sundance Re: Charon - 03/02/18 11:11 PM
Such an interesting musical tapestry you've woven here. Made me think of the Rick Wakeman and Yes AOR days when candles incense and certain other aromas filled the air. Great job.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Charon - 03/03/18 05:09 AM
Hello, Lawrence

The riff of the intro and flute melody are excellent.
The two meters 7/4 and 4/4 are very cool and effective.
The way to use the change of rhythm is splendid.
It is a very ambitious work.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Charon - 03/04/18 09:51 AM
The multifaceted mr gruve.

It’s very cinematic in scope and would fit so many different scenarios. It would seem to be a good fit for the music libraries.

We are clueless as to how you put all this together but the sound for an mp3 of a 20 year old production is amazing. And so are you!

J&B
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Charon - 03/04/18 04:57 PM
Great sounding stuff Lawrence! It was pretty obvious that you put a lot of work into that tune I appreciate the effort! But it’s odd to listen to a song of yours without that great voice of yours doing some singing! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Charon - 03/04/18 05:57 PM
Great song. I'm glad you were able to recover the stereo mix.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Charon - 03/04/18 06:48 PM
When I saw Charon in the title of this post, I was really hoping it was the Charon of mythology and I was definitely not disappointed! I think the way you described your song really suits Charon and the myths surrounding them. Really cool inspiration you found from such a well-known mythological figure. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: cliftond Re: Charon - 03/04/18 08:08 PM
Ejnoyed the pallet of musical colors offered here. Very artistic.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Charon - 03/05/18 03:08 AM
Hi Lawrence,

I love this kind of slightly outside the lines production. The seamless flow between the two time signatures is so smooth and well-executed.

An engaging, cinematic sound that just holds the listener's attention from beginning to end. the choice of tracks is so well executed and the mix - well, it's fabulous. Thanks for a great listen. A tip of the hat for a great song and listen!

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Charon - 03/05/18 10:35 AM
The time signature change is very inventive and effective. A great sounding outside the box instrumental piece, Tom
Posted By: gruverider Re: Charon - 03/11/18 06:05 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Lawrence, I love stuff like this and you did it justice. Great instrumentation and song construction. Plus a super mix of synth and acoustic sounds.

Two thumbs up.
Thank you Mario.

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Lawrence !

This is just a wonderful
tune ! Am so impressed
by everything from playing
to mix !:)))

...and the river is Styx !!

Cheers
Dani
Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Lawrence,

Excellent.

Great listen. Solid mix.

Engaging.

fj
Thank you Floyd.

Originally Posted By: RichMac

Hi Lawrence this is something engagingly different.

The unusual meters sound very easy on the ear.
Which I found a bit of a surprise.
Good one.

Cheers.
Richard, thank you.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Charon - 03/11/18 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Lawrence

That was very impressive indeed! A really excellent composition.

Peter
Thanks Peter.
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
I'm loving the pads!

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Glad you liked it Kent.

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Man, this is cool. What a production! I loved this!
Glad you enjoyed it David.

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this Gruverider! Nice use of synths!
Thanks Joe.

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Such an interesting musical tapestry you've woven here. Made me think of the Rick Wakeman and Yes AOR days when candles incense and certain other aromas filled the air. Great job.
I am a big fan of Yes for sure. Thank you Josie.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Lawrence

The riff of the intro and flute melody are excellent.
The two meters 7/4 and 4/4 are very cool and effective.
The way to use the change of rhythm is splendid.
It is a very ambitious work.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Thank you Shigeki.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The multifaceted mr gruve.

It’s very cinematic in scope and would fit so many different scenarios. It would seem to be a good fit for the music libraries.

We are clueless as to how you put all this together but the sound for an mp3 of a 20 year old production is amazing. And so are you!

J&B
I used some a bit of alchemy on the production lol. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Great sounding stuff Lawrence! It was pretty obvious that you put a lot of work into that tune I appreciate the effort! But it’s odd to listen to a song of yours without that great voice of yours doing some singing! Thanks, Torrey
Thank you Torrey. That is part of the reason I moved away from instrumentals, my friends kept asking "the songs with words" lol!

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Great song. I'm glad you were able to recover the stereo mix.

Thank you Charlie.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Charon - 03/11/18 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
When I saw Charon in the title of this post, I was really hoping it was the Charon of mythology and I was definitely not disappointed! I think the way you described your song really suits Charon and the myths surrounding them. Really cool inspiration you found from such a well-known mythological figure. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Ember. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Originally Posted By: cliftond
Ejnoyed the pallet of musical colors offered here. Very artistic.
Thanks for having a listen and for your comments.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Lawrence,

I love this kind of slightly outside the lines production. The seamless flow between the two time signatures is so smooth and well-executed.

An engaging, cinematic sound that just holds the listener's attention from beginning to end. the choice of tracks is so well executed and the mix - well, it's fabulous. Thanks for a great listen. A tip of the hat for a great song and listen!

Alan
Thank you very much Alan.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
The time signature change is very inventive and effective. A great sounding outside the box instrumental piece, Tom
Thank you Tom.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Charon - 03/11/18 09:39 PM

Two thumbs up.

TWO MORE THUMBS UP!!! The sound is rich and thick, and the rhythm and melody are hypnotic!! This is a fabulous composition and production!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: gruverider Re: Charon - 03/12/18 01:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Two thumbs up.

TWO MORE THUMBS UP!!! The sound is rich and thick, and the rhythm and melody are hypnotic!! This is a fabulous composition and production!! Take care. Greg
Greg, thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed it!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Charon - 03/12/18 04:46 AM
Lawrence,

Firstly, my sincere apologies for taking so long to get to this.

The intro is spectacular! And the song that follows is incredible... I love the way you've created a synth-based excursion in the realm of instrumentals. Very, very enjoyable from start to end.

Without any hesitation it's two excited and enthusiastic thumbs up from me, too!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: gruverider Re: Charon - 03/12/18 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Lawrence,

Firstly, my sincere apologies for taking so long to get to this.

The intro is spectacular! And the song that follows is incredible... I love the way you've created a synth-based excursion in the realm of instrumentals. Very, very enjoyable from start to end.

Without any hesitation it's two excited and enthusiastic thumbs up from me, too!

All the best,
Noel
Noel, thanks for the encouragement. I hope to find my way back to this realm of music soon.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Charon - 03/13/18 11:41 AM
Cinematic Excellence, nothing less.

This has everything, it is vibrant, soulful and dynamic.

Impressive, impressive, impressive.

You've really shined with this production.
Posted By: gruverider Re: Charon - 03/15/18 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Cinematic Excellence, nothing less.

This has everything, it is vibrant, soulful and dynamic.

Impressive, impressive, impressive.

You've really shined with this production.
Thank you. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Charon - 03/15/18 03:26 PM
As others have said, there's a wealth of interesting musical ideas that move this along. It does the "musical journey" that so few instrumentals pull off well, and it does it in spades!
© PG Music Forums