PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan Breeze - 03/04/18 07:12 AM
Breeze

The cold winter still continues here in Finland, but it inspired me to write this song about a moment of a heartwarming breeze in the middle of a cold life, being unprepared for it and trying to be ready if the next time comes. The arrangement is based on the _LONEBOY style, I added congas and vocal oohs/aahs. Vocals are by myself.

Instruments:

2483:Bass, Acoustic, Bowed HeldSimple Ev 085
2195:Piano, ElectricVintage, Rhythm CoolJazzPopHeld Ev 085
2914:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Folky16thsBrent Ev16 085
CongasEv16[single]
Vocal Aahs: #3020, Vocal Oohs #3027

Vocals: Janne S

Mixed in Sonar Platinum

Lyrics:

Through an open window
uninvited, you came in
breathed on the cold
cinders in the stove
unexpected warmth
told I was not that old.

You blew through my heart
didn't expect that day to come
cautious, in ice
you saw how I was callow and dumb.
Now I am flooding
lost rivers are revived
the desert flowers blossom
after your warm breeze arrived.

Was it just a visit
an impulsive graceful whim
on the winter skin
did I push you away
or are you just a
free spirit wind.

You blew...

I don't want to witness
these flowers fade again
they are now exposed
one more night alone
and the petals of hope are
forever closed.

You blew...

The window's still unlatched
will you come a second time
will I hear once more
rustling on the porch
and your whispering toes
mincing on the floor.

You blew...

Now it feels arctic inside
but if I closed the window
I wouldn't hear if you called my name
I could turn up the heating
but it wouldn't feel the same
as your gentle breeze.

------
Janne
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Breeze - 03/04/18 07:59 AM
Nice song and a great mix. The lyrics create a nice image in the mind. Enjoyed my listen.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Breeze - 03/04/18 05:13 PM
Melodically and lyrically quite amazing.

I enjoyed some of the chord changes and intonation, very interesting.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Breeze - 03/04/18 05:13 PM
Very lovely song Janne! Your production skills are really good and I like the way that you used the oohs and ahhs with this track! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Breeze - 03/04/18 06:53 PM
This was such a lovely tune. The vocals and lyrics paired so well with the overall feel of this song. I especially loved this part:

"Was it just a visit, an impulsive graceful whim on the winter skin. Did I push you away or are you just a free spirit wind?"

Very lovely work here. Thanks so much for sharing this song with us!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Breeze - 03/05/18 10:54 AM
Hi Janne,

I really enjoyed what you did with this one. It's pretty and so relaxing. very nice BIAB backing tracks. the vocal harmony is so nicely done!

Alan
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Breeze - 03/05/18 12:30 PM
Very well done, jannesan smile I love how gentle and delicate this tune is. I can just close my eyes and get lost in the music. It evokes a sense of nostalgia for me, and the lyricism here helps solidify that sensation.

Great work - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Breeze - 03/05/18 06:20 PM
Nice chord progression on this. Thanks for listing. Rob
Posted By: molsenhouse Re: Breeze - 03/05/18 06:49 PM
Mmm…
I felt the BREEZE all the way to Norway. Thanks, Janne!

Well done!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Breeze - 03/05/18 11:17 PM
Cool tune Janne. Loved the oohs and ahhs. Going to try them on my next instrumental
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Breeze - 03/06/18 10:42 AM
Jannesan..what I really liked about this is the length of your lyric...I struggle to get enough words to make AABA, but you continued with expanded thoughts and images on your topic. I guess your winters are REALLY long and you think about these gentle breezes alot during the cold months!

Also, it seems like your song construction is somewhat unorthodox--maybe additional bars beyond the normal 4 or 8--it is something that captures your ear, so that you think "oh, this chorus isn't over quite yet--I need to continue to listen". And then you are rewarded by a nice, smooth conclusion of that part.

Finally, I think that your simple orchestration is perfect for this type of narrative: the singer is sitting alone, maybe looking out the window, waiting for the season to break--it's a quiet moment, and the arrangement matches it.

You have given me a lot of composition ideas to think about---when is the week that it is warm in Finland, I might want to visit!!
Posted By: cliftond Re: Breeze - 03/06/18 12:27 PM
enjoyed this very much, the feel is nice and breezy, fresh, clean
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/06/18 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Nice song and a great mix. The lyrics create a nice image in the mind. Enjoyed my listen.

Thanks Charlie, I'm glad you liked my song and the mix smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/06/18 03:47 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Melodically and lyrically quite amazing.

I enjoyed some of the chord changes and intonation, very interesting.

Thanks VideoTrack for your very kind words smile And thanks for mentioning chord changes, I always try to find interesting combinations.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/06/18 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very lovely song Janne! Your production skills are really good and I like the way that you used the oohs and ahhs with this track! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey for your kind comment smile BIAB didn't create oohs for every chord and aahs sounded bit unclean for some chords (which I muted) so there are gaps, I didn't want to regenerate or do copy/paste, but I'm glad to hear that they work like they are onw.

Janne
Posted By: RnAM Re: Breeze - 03/06/18 11:49 PM
Well Janne, you seem to do quite good on the your own!
Still this has sort of a different sound from the kind of songs we did for you.
But we are pleasantly surprised! Very well done.

Rob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Breeze - 03/07/18 02:24 AM
Janne

Very interesting composition - nice gentle backing and a really nice chord structure.
Nice work.
Peter
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Breeze - 03/09/18 02:25 AM
Hello, Janne

Very nice melody and chord progression!
I think that this song is very well expressing the heart that waits for springs all the time.
Really good song!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/09/18 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
This was such a lovely tune. The vocals and lyrics paired so well with the overall feel of this song. I especially loved this part:
"Was it just a visit, an impulsive graceful whim on the winter skin. Did I push you away or are you just a free spirit wind?"
Very lovely work here. Thanks so much for sharing this song with us!

Thanks Ember for your kind words smile I'm really glad you loved that lyric part, because it describes very well the feeling I've had.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/09/18 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Janne,
I really enjoyed what you did with this one. It's pretty and so relaxing. very nice BIAB backing tracks. the vocal harmony is so nicely done!
Alan

Thanks Alan, I'm glad you enjoyed my song smile I agree, those vocal harmony realtracks can be used in many type of songs, thanks to PGMusic for listening our wishes smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/09/18 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Very well done, jannesan smile I love how gentle and delicate this tune is. I can just close my eyes and get lost in the music. It evokes a sense of nostalgia for me, and the lyricism here helps solidify that sensation.
Great work - thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk for your very kind words smile Really nice to hear that I've managed to evoke nostalgia with my song blush

Janne
Posted By: dcuny Re: Breeze - 03/09/18 05:08 PM
Oh, goodness. As others have said - simply lovely.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Breeze - 03/11/18 01:27 AM
Janne, There is such beautiful emotional and moving imagery in this song. The arrangement fits the mood so well. I thought it was great.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/11/18 05:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Nice chord progression on this. Thanks for listing. Rob

Thanks Rob for your kind comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/11/18 05:14 AM
Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
Mmm…
I felt the BREEZE all the way to Norway. Thanks, Janne!

Well done!

Thanks for commenting and feeling my breeze wink Enjoy the spring in Norway!

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/11/18 05:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool tune Janne. Loved the oohs and ahhs. Going to try them on my next instrumental

Thanks Scott for your positive words smile Good luck with oohs and aahs smile

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Breeze - 03/11/18 09:15 PM
Very pretty song Janne!! The lyrics are very poetic. I really like your vocal for this style. You always have really cool chord changes in your songs (just heard another about an hour ago)! Very much enjoyed this!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/13/18 04:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Jannesan..what I really liked about this is the length of your lyric...I struggle to get enough words to make AABA, but you continued with expanded thoughts and images on your topic. I guess your winters are REALLY long and you think about these gentle breezes alot during the cold months!

Also, it seems like your song construction is somewhat unorthodox--maybe additional bars beyond the normal 4 or 8--it is something that captures your ear, so that you think "oh, this chorus isn't over quite yet--I need to continue to listen". And then you are rewarded by a nice, smooth conclusion of that part.

Finally, I think that your simple orchestration is perfect for this type of narrative: the singer is sitting alone, maybe looking out the window, waiting for the season to break--it's a quiet moment, and the arrangement matches it.

You have given me a lot of composition ideas to think about---when is the week that it is warm in Finland, I might want to visit!!

Thanks for your enjoyable analysis of my song smile Lyrics just pour out of me, more than enough of verses for a song so I have to leave out some parts.

Recently winters have been quite mild here, and in average also this winter, but February was very cold and March seems to be snowy and cold also, so I'm still waiting for the breeze smile I probably have got some subconscious inspiration for this kind of acoustic folk song from a band called Shoormal (from Shetland), their song Between Weathers tells about how winter won't let go.

I'm glad you noticed my unorthodox song structure, I don't follow rules, I just do what feels good to my ear smile Some 'fans' of mine have said the same, that my song require several times to listen to.

Welcome to Finland, although it is difficult to say what is going to be the warm week this year smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/13/18 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
enjoyed this very much, the feel is nice and breezy, fresh, clean

Thanks Cliftond for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed my simple song smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/13/18 05:11 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Well Janne, you seem to do quite good on the your own!
Still this has sort of a different sound from the kind of songs we did for you.
But we are pleasantly surprised! Very well done.
Rob

Thanks Rob for your positive words, I'm glad I've managed surprise you smile Your vocals and your feedback has been an important step on my 'career'. When a right song comes, too difficult for my vocal range, I might ask for your vocals once more smile

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Breeze - 03/13/18 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Janne, There is such beautiful emotional and moving imagery in this song. The arrangement fits the mood so well. I thought it was great.

it would be hard to better express what Josie said.

We'll only add that the soundstage sounded full and lush on our monitors.

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/15/18 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF

Very interesting composition - nice gentle backing and a really nice chord structure.
Nice work.Peter

Thanks Peter for liking and commenting my gentle song smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/15/18 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords

Very nice melody and chord progression!
I think that this song is very well expressing the heart that waits for springs all the time.
Really good song!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.
Best regards.
Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki Adachi, I'm glad you felt the spirit of waiting for the spring in my song smile And thanks for mentioning the chord progression, it really works well with the acoustic guitar RT here, no noticeable issues. I think Roddy Frame's music and guitar playing is one of my inspiration here.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/15/18 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Oh, goodness. As others have said - simply lovely.

Thanks David for your lovely comment laugh

Janne
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Breeze - 03/15/18 02:12 PM
Wow,

This is really a beautiful song and a great arrangement. I really loved it.

Good job on the vocals.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/18/18 06:16 AM

Thanks Josie for all your kind and beautiful words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/18/18 06:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very pretty song Janne!! The lyrics are very poetic. I really like your vocal for this style. You always have really cool chord changes in your songs (just heard another about an hour ago)! Very much enjoyed this!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for your kind feedback smile I'm glad you liked also my vocal smile

BTW. Your latest song is fantastic, I'll be commenting it after you have added lyrics and description of the instruments laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/18/18 06:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

it would be hard to better express what Josie said.
We'll only add that the soundstage sounded full and lush on our monitors.
Kudos!
J&B

Thanks Janice & Bud for listening, I appreciate your nice comment smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: Breeze - 03/18/18 06:22 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Wow,
This is really a beautiful song and a great arrangement. I really loved it.
Good job on the vocals.

Thanks David for your kind comment, I'm glad you liked my song, arrangement and the vocals smile

Janne
© PG Music Forums