PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder Girls Don't Cry - 03/09/18 10:15 PM
This is an instrumental I wrote for a film music wanted slot with a "girl power" anthem theme. It had to be rock and roll. And an instrumental with "Ahs."

I am using BIAB doubly to "score" the music for a website I have created to sell a new novel I have written called The Literary Club: Sex, Lies and Murder. There are podcasts attached. See third link for how I am doing this. Check it out if you want. The young lady in the photo is my daughter. The novel has a lot of stuff about girl power in it.

Man, this BIAB 2018 is tripping me out with the ability to make some kicking jams for the movie business man.

https://www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder/song/29324576-girls-dont-cry-instrumental

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs2/girls-dont-cry

http://davidsnyderbooks.com/audio/

I started out with the Noisy style and added a bunch of Strats, and synths and banged on the piano.

Style is _NOISY.STY (Noisy Arp Synth Industrial Rock)

RealTracks in style: 1739:Bass, Synth ModernDancePop8ths Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1748:Synth, Rhythm ModernDancePopRaveMajestic Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~391:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Metal Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 659:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasRockChop Ev 120 (B:8ths)
RealTracks in style: 2581:Synth, Rhythm PopBell8ths Ev 120
RealDrums in style: FunkRock^01-a:Closed Hat, b:Open Hat

Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/09/18 10:50 PM
Defiantly a rock beat but not sure on the rest. Love the way you build it up.
Suitable as a movie score for sure. Very creative. Rob
Posted By: dcuny Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 02:30 AM
Um... I guess this is where you used your classical training? wink

I confess: I read your ReverbNation bio and looked at the pictures while the music played in the background. It was a bit like watching a surrealist movie.

You've got your own moon!

OK, maybe it was a Dadaist film.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 11:55 AM
Thanks Rob.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Um... I guess this is where you used your classical training? wink

Dave,

Actually, yeah. Big time. You should have heard the sample. This is Stravinsky compared to it.

I am just experimenting and may add some cello at the end, dunno. But in a lot of background stuff like this you aren't allowed to use a melody, you have to do everything with build up and repetition and no melody. Also, you have to stay away from anything remotely melodic so that excludes thirds and fourths. About all you have to work with is "angry fifths." Ergo the drunken Rolling Stones piano at the end. What the heck. Why not??

So, yeah, I am just experimenting man. Throwing stuff up against the wall so to speak.

I do think it gets the adrenaline going though, right??

The forum is my lab man. You of all people should know that by now!!!

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 01:36 PM

Dave,

I changed my mind and added a melody at 2:45 just to be shocking and to combat you on your classical training remark.

cool
Posted By: dcuny Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
You should have heard the sample. This is Stravinsky compared to it.

Interesting. Usually, when I think of "classical", I think of harmonic analysis and structure - "clouds of vague timbre" are a bit more difficult to qualify. smile

I've noticed you can now buy programs for generating "woosh" sound effects, sort of like the sound of a washer spinning up. So clearly that kind of effect is getting more popular with sound designers.

Quote:
About all you have to work with is "angry fifths." Ergo the drunken Rolling Stones piano at the end. What the heck. Why not??

Hey, it made a great soundtrack for your (semi-random) slideshow. wink
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 02:16 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
[quote=dcuny]You should have heard the sample. This is Stravinsky compared to it.

Interesting. Usually, when I think of "classical", I think of harmonic analysis and structure - "clouds of vague timbre" are a bit more difficult to qualify. smile

Hey, it made a great soundtrack for you (semi-random) slideshow. wink

Hear latest version Dave. Go to 2:45. I added notes just to please you, because that is all I wanted to do, was to please you Dave. I live for it man. You are my hero and my master.

Man, can I come over today and clean up your backyard for you again. That was really fun yesterday and it would please me if could do it again. Thanks Dave!!!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 07:50 PM
Man, can I come over today and clean up your backyard for you again. That was really fun yesterday and it would please me if could do it again. Thanks Dave!!!

Is that what happened to the privet back there? Poor Murphy (the cat in the background) was wondering who butchered his favorite invasive plant.

Much like the privet, your song grows to a wonderful crescendo.

I think your time is better spent composing than composting in my yard. wink
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/10/18 08:58 PM

Are you telling me the 10 gallon buckets of clorox and ammonia I poured around it to kill off the weeds did THAT???

How was I to know man!!!!!!

Jeez.

And you try and help people. Ok. Take care of your own yard then.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/11/18 05:37 PM
Sounds like something Phillip Glass might do.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/11/18 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Sounds like something Phillip Glass might do.

I can hear that!! It is really interesting and intriguing!! Could have been part of Sgt Pepper or Magical Mystery Tour....a sonic experience for sure. Very, very cool David!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Scott C Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/11/18 10:05 PM
I loved this David. I also loved the way the song builds . Well done.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/11/18 10:05 PM

Thanks Floyd! Never thought of that but you are right. I hung out with that dude once. He was really cool.

Gonna add this to the meta data.

smile
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/11/18 10:07 PM

Thanks Greg,

Like I said to Floyd I am gonna add Philip Glass to the meta data.

I actually hung out with that guy one time and his apartment, saw his studio and everything. He was really cool.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/11/18 10:11 PM
David,

This is really something - I love the feel of this. Excellent!

Bob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/15/18 10:49 AM

Thanks Scott!!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/16/18 10:04 AM
Thanks Scott,

I appreciate the listen! Glad you liked it!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/16/18 11:27 AM
Really nice job, David - definitely something different than what is usually on the showcase. I loved the gradual buildup. I found it really captivating and it grabbed my attention from start to finish. I can absolutely envision this as part of a movie score. It definitely had that cinematic feeling to it.

Great work on this, and thanks so much for sharing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Girls Don't Cry - 03/17/18 11:20 AM
Thanks Robert,

I am glad you enjoyed it. Just a little something different.

smile
© PG Music Forums