PG Music Home

Fox Den

Some reggae/funk/blues for you. Peter gets the cool reggae vibe happening and Janice tries out her chic background vocal thing.

Listens and comments are most welcome!

Janice: lead vocal and BGV’s / FX: Nectar 2
Janice: Percussion (cajon) / FX: Neutron 2 & 140 EMT Reverb
Peter: Lead and rhythm guitar / FX: Whatever the man does smile
Bud: Production / mix / mastering

RealDrums: Reggae / track cut into small segments to work with cajon / FX: Neutron & 140 EMT Reverb
Handclaps: Six tracks (J&B and loops) / FX: 140 EMT Reverb
Bass RT 1157 / FX: Waves Bass Rider & Neutron 2
Piano RT 1160 / FX: Neutron 2, 140 EMT Reverb & Logic Direction Mixer
Guitar RT 1158 / FX: Neutron 2
Organ RT 1159: / FX: Neutron 2

Mixed in Logic Pro X and mastered via Ozone 8 adv

Thanks to PeterF, PG Music and my mix counsel forum friends.

Fox Den
© 2018 Janice & Bud Merritt

you so sly hangin’ out in the fox den
got all you’ll ever need in that fox den
you just shout and they all yell amen

you found a stage to sell your snake oil
It’s so cheap step up ‘n buy that snake oil
keep on dragging us through your night soil

every weekend you fly on a little bird
cruisin’ through hot air on a little bird
you got a tiny fowl spreading your word

now there’s a new sheriff on your trail
Yeah there’s a hellhound on your trail
‘fore long Karma’s gonna bite that fox tail
Wow, this is so good!

And is it so incredibly well mixed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have this supernatural ethereal feeling that you worked with another producer on the forum, some type of musical guru, or super genius, who stood by you like a Guardian angel of sonic clarity, and carefully guided you under the light of heaven's bright beams, until the song and mix was pristine, and became an example of absolute and sublime perfection, and wholly acceptable in the presence of the divine.

Don't know why I have that strange feeling--but I just do.

Anyway, this is phenomenal y'all. Great song and stellar mix.

smile

Nice and warm!! Guitar is just right!!!!!!
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Wow, this is so good!

And is it so incredibly well mixed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have this supernatural ethereal feeling that you worked with another producer on the forum, some type of musical guru, or super genius, who stood by you like a Guardian angel of sonic clarity, and carefully guided you under the light of heaven's bright beams, until the song and mix was pristine, and became an example of absolute and sublime perfection, and wholly acceptable in the presence of the divine.

Don't know why I have that strange feeling--but I just do.

Anyway, this is phenomenal y'all. Great song and stellar mix.

smile

Nice and warm!! Guitar is just right!!!!!!

Nature should not allow me and sublime perfection to be referenced in the same post. I don’t know how that got through. Regardless of the astronomical improbability of that we thank you!

J&B
What a creative mashup! I thought Janice was fabulous, Peter - fabulous, Bud - fabulous. Everything little thing about this is FABULOUS! And fun too.
Great reggae funk, excellent mix, I like especially the vocals, reminds me bit of Joss Stone's latest work.

Janne
Yeah! Very different.

Janice is awesome as usual, love the way she phrases "snake oil"!
Those background vocals are very cool too.

And a big tip of the hat to Peter, I love what he brought to this.

Nice one guys, enjoyed the listen!
Janice / Bud / Peter,

This is just GREAT! Love the cool vibe of this tune and the production w/track mix is killer.

Another tremendous vocal workout by Janice, with some extremely cool backup singing.

So well done...

Bob
Well, team, you never fail to surprise, you never fail to deliver.

This is no exception. That doesn't mean for a moment that it's not exceptional, actually it really is.

The answer-back lyrics give another dimension to a truly great sound.

Cool, smooth, funky, great.
Originally Posted By: Sundance
What a creative mashup! I thought Janice was fabulous, Peter - fabulous, Bud - fabulous. Everything little thing about this is FABULOUS! And fun too.

We much appreciate that Josie! Funky Peter, yeah! What a cool opportunity BiaB gives us to do mashups.

Thanks!

J&B
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great reggae funk, excellent mix, I like especially the vocals, reminds me bit of Joss Stone's latest work.

Janne

Thank you. And Janice says that is one heckuva compliment and is greatly appreciated - just being mentioned in the same sentence!!

J&B
Love the groove!!! and the Jan-etts had me smiling from ear to ear! What a treat!

Congratulations to all!!!
Hi, Janice & Bud & Peterf
This is so nice. This is great stuff, a wonderful collab! Encore, encore!
Great vocal performance. I thought it qaa really cool
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Yeah! Very different.

Thanks Dave. We thought Peter really nailed the vibe and worked off the vocal most excellently!
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Peter,

This is just GREAT! Love the cool vibe of this tune and the production w/track mix is killer.

Another tremendous vocal workout by Janice, with some extremely cool backup singing.

So well done...

Bob

Thanks Bob. We’d hoped you might like this one. Appreciate you mentioning the BGV’s!

J&B

J&B
Was this the song you were referring to the other day? This song came out so good! The vocals are so on point and really bring the song to life. You guys all did a really good job on this one, and thank you for bringing us a genre we don't see too often in the showcase!
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Wow! This is a blast- I agree with all the positive comments above.
I might have missed any reggae you`ve done before but everything about this tells me you must have been around this style before.
Above all the production & performance highs its also a really good write- not sure I get all the lyric references ( well, ok I know what "night soil" is), but who cares, Mr Fox is an interesting character.
Well done- way to have some fun with your songwriting!

Robert
Posted By: ROG Re: Fox Den (some reggae feat: PeterF on guitar) - 03/12/18 03:56 PM
Hi there Peter and J&B.

Absolutely COOL.

A super smooth reggae turned soulful by Janice's wonderful voice. Hey Janice, and
what about those fabulous "Rock-Chick" backing vocals? Inspired.

Peter - some very lovely guitar work in there. So effective, so in tune with the feel of
the track. SO professional in it's execution.

Bud - Excellent mix. Clear, but still powerful.

Oh, and great cajon playing too!

Loved the whole thing.

ROG.
Wow this is so creative. Very cool song. Super vocal and love the harmonies jumping in behind the vocal. Peters guitar was so unique and original. So good. Boy I agree with David on the mix. It is so good. I can't put my finger on it either. Each of the instuments and vocals so well defined and so well blended and balanced. Awesome job , Bud, Janice and Peter..
Janice/Bud/Peter...

Who let that fox out? Get the dogs!

Y'all never miss. Ditto to all that has been said already.

Ever instrument sits perfectly. Gorgeous mix.

Peter's guitar - a perfect compliment.

Janice and the Girls have outdone themselves. Again.

Many listens.

Amen!

fj
Very well done! I'm definitely getting some summery vibes with this one. The way you incorporated the reggae aspect here was very well done! It is wonderfully catchy as well. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio among other classics.

Thanks so much for sharing smile
You guys were flat cooking on this one, loved the SSSSSSSSSnake oil , Janice, loved the guitar Peter, and you mixed to a teeeee Bud!!!
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

This is no exception. That doesn't mean for a moment that it's not exceptional, actually it really is.

Thanks! And we appreciate the mention of the vocals. That was fun and pushed Janice up in her range but she nailed it in take.

Bud
fantastic work Janice and Bud! Very easy to drink coconut water to. Excellent ambience with the vocals too. Great work as always!
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Love the groove!!! and the Jan-etts had me smiling from ear to ear! What a treat!

Thanks man. Glad she had you smiling. It was quite the experiment smile

J&B
Not much left to say, other than that a heck of a lot of fun to listen to.

Love the chorus echoing the parts. laugh
Hello, Janice & Bud, Peter

Janice's Background vocals are wonderful.
I was carried away.
As David said, it was so incredibly well mixed.
Peter also has a very good atmosphere.
Wonderful collaboration!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: LPman
Hi, Janice & Bud & Peterf
This is so nice. This is great stuff, a wonderful collab! Encore, encore!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

J&B
The soulful bluesy vocal laid on top of the rhythmic reggae track really sets this one off into the stratosphere. Excellent tasty guitar work and some beautifully executed cajon playing capture the groove. The inspired hand claps on the three was a nice touch. Perfection on the mix. A nice little side trip to the land of distant genres, Tom
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Great vocal performance. I thought it qaa really cool

Thanks for listening and commenting!

J&B
You guys never miss the mark. Well done. Rob
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Was this the song you were referring to the other day? This song came out so good! The vocals are so on point and really bring the song to life. You guys all did a really good job on this one, and thank you for bringing us a genre we don't see too often in the showcase!

Yes it was and thanks for the nice comments...it was a fun project!

J&B

Thanks for all the comments and mentions on Fox Den(just back from a short break). It was great to work again with Janice & Bud - those backing vocals are amazing, and it's always a joy to assist with what will inevitably be another great song.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Wow! This is a blast- I agree with all the positive comments above.
I might have missed any reggae you`ve done before but everything about this tells me you must have been around this style before.
Above all the production & performance highs its also a really good write- not sure I get all the lyric references ( well, ok I know what "night soil" is), but who cares, Mr Fox is an interesting character.
Well done- way to have some fun with your songwriting!

Robert

Thanks Robert! We appreciate the review very much.

Yeah, we can only hope Mr Fox is on the run.... smile
Originally Posted By: Sundance

Thanks Josie

Yeah! Very different.

Dave glad you liked the guitar parts.

Peter
FOXY FOXY FUN!!! Save a place in the den for me! Such a cool mix of funky stuff. Love the BG vocals interaction with the lead vocal! Peter plays the perfect guitar part! Kudos to all!! Take care. Greg
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi there Peter and J&B.

Absolutely COOL.

A super smooth reggae turned soulful by Janice's wonderful voice. Hey Janice, and

Peter - some very lovely guitar work in there. So effective, so in tune with the feel of

Loved the whole thing.

ROG.

Hi Rog, thanks for the very supportive review.It means a lot to us. Peter was indeed in tune with the track feel and that adds so much.

Thanks for mentioning the BGV's and the cajon. Janice was having a big time with this! Glad you liked the mix too.

J&B

PS Man, your rockabilly song is over the top good!
Originally Posted By: gruverider

Loved the vocals.

Peter

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Thanks Trevor
Peter

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice / Bud / Peter,

So well done...

Bob

Thanks Bob
Peter
I'm late to the party but really glad that I came. Everything that I wanted to say already has been said. I couldn't express myself any better that what Rog wrote:

Hi there Peter and J&B.

Absolutely COOL.

Loved the whole thing.

ROG.

You all should be very proud of this one.

This is a keeper.
Yeah! Very different.

Dave said the same things I was thinking! Really great production on this as always! You folks are pros in my book!! Thanks, Torrey
Hi there Peter and J&B.

Absolutely COOL.

Loved the whole thing.

Thanks Rog appreciate those comments about the guitar parts.

Peter

ROG.

Amazingly good fun!
Something different in a very good way.

Cheers.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow this is so creative. Very cool song. Super vocal and love the harmonies jumping in behind the vocal. Peters guitar was so unique and original. So good. Boy I agree with David on the mix. It is so good. I can't put my finger on it either. Each of the instuments and vocals so well defined and so well blended and balanced. Awesome job , Bud, Janice and Peter..

Thanks Scott, thanks for mentioning the mix...it's sparse but took a bit of time. Glad you liked the BGV experiment! And yep Peter nailed the vibe big time.

J&B
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice/Bud/Peter...

Many listens.

Amen!

fj

Thanks floyd for the kind words...and thanks for getting us to think more about BGV's and their mixing. And, yeah, hoping that fox is on the run...

J&B
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Janice/Bud/Peter...

Many listens.

Amen!

fj

Thanks floyd --much appreciated

Originally Posted By: Scott C

Thanks for those comments Scott

Peter
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Very well done! I'm definitely getting some summery vibes with this one. The way you incorporated the reggae aspect here was very well done! It is wonderfully catchy as well. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio among other classics.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk. Glad we could post this after you’d commented on the lack of reggae in the forum. It was timely!

J&B

Originally Posted By: cliftond
You guys were flat cooking on this one, loved the SSSSSSSSSnake oil , Janice, loved the guitar Peter, and you mixed to a teeeee Bud!!!

Thanks! You mentioned everything we had hoped would work.

J&B
Originally Posted By: cliftond

Thanks for commenting on the guitar. Bud's mixes are always wonderful and clear.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
fantastic work Janice and Bud! Very easy to drink coconut water to. Excellent ambience with the vocals too. Great work as always!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
Not much left to say, other than that a heck of a lot of fun to listen to.

Love the chorus echoing the parts. laugh

Hey y'all, we appreciate you listening and commenting. Thanks!

J&B
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice & Bud, Peter

Janice's Background vocals are wonderful.
I was carried away.
As David said, it was so incredibly well mixed.
Peter also has a very good atmosphere.
Wonderful collaboration!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki! We always appreciate and look forward to your comments.

J&B
Originally Posted By: tommyad
The soulful bluesy vocal laid on top of the rhythmic reggae track really sets this one off into the stratosphere. Excellent tasty guitar work and some beautifully executed cajon playing capture the groove. The inspired hand claps on the three was a nice touch. Perfection on the mix. A nice little side trip to the land of distant genres, Tom

Thank you Tom. Janice was tickled you mentioned her percussion and we were glad you liked the claps on the 3. We felt that gave it a little more of the reggae groove. Perfection on the mix? Well, coming from you that makes me think maybe I just ougta stop right now!

J&B
Hi, J&B & Peter !

Great tune and great
performance !
Love that chick background
chorus !

Absolutely superb !

Cheers
Dani
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, J&B & Peter !

Great tune and great
performance !
Love that chick background
chorus !

Absolutely superb !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani for listening to some reggae!

J&B
Cool.
I'd have loved a little more accented reggae guitar rhythm but hey.
The guitar licks reminded me of the augmentation done at Island Studios on Marley's Catch A Fire.
Cool.
Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool.
I'd have loved a little more accented reggae guitar rhythm but hey.
The guitar licks reminded me of the augmentation done at Island Studios on Marley's Catch A Fire.
Cool.

Thanks Ray. We appreciate it and I'm sure Peter does also re the guitar. Yeah that accented rhythm could be stronger but this is only the third attempt at reggae over the years. I tried to enhance a bit with the claps but if we attempt another I think we'll immerse ourselves in some classic reggae early on smile

Thanks

J&B
Great work Janice & Bud! Fun to listen to, great reggae tune and very fun vibe. Well done as always!
© PG Music Forums