PG Music Home
I've been busy with numerous not-so-musical issues for a while; some wonderfully happy like our daughter's marriage and our son and his wife presenting us with our first grandchild, some a little glum... But anyway, I'm at last getting back to what I like best.

This song's been on the go for a while: the lyrics are mainly by my pal Richard (who as I speak is on a solo 500 mile Camino hike in Spain!) and I struggled at first to find a worthy music setting.

BIAB Style used:
BIAB Bass: _HAPN120.STY Dire Pop w/Held acoustic piano
BIAB Piano: _HAPN120.STY Dire Pop w/Held acoustic piano
Slide guitar Solo: 669 Slide Guitar Background, EasySouthern

I programmed the MIDI organ and string parts and also the drums, sounds from XLN Addictive Drums. RealGuitar provided the acoustic guitar part and I played the other guitar bits and bobs. I had a lot of fun creating all the vocal harmony parts (with some help from Melodyne...) Made in Cakewalk by BandLab, mastered using Ozone8.

(Best if you switch to 1080hd)

Lyrics and other notes are here:
http://www.johnsongs.com/page141.html

cool song.

Well done. I like the dark feel to this song.

I see you got the Free SPLAT.... very nice sound to this. Powerful and full sounding.

I'm gonna have to check out that slide..... that rocked.

Oh yeah, the video was pretty neat too.
I`ve enjoyed your songs in the past- welcome back with another very
good production!
The vocals are excellent - like the harmonies- and I really liked the ( slightly psychedelic) change of feel on the prechorus lines.
Very cool video as well.

Robert
The video was very beautiful! The song is equally beautiful. You did a really great job and you should definitely be proud. smile
Wow Skyline! There's so much great stuff happening here that I don't know where to begin! What a great job on every aspect of this song! All the little melodic twists and turns in here are wonderful and executed with precision! The vocal work is great and all instrumentation choices are perfect and oh yeah...the video...one of the best I've seen presented here on the forum! This is a work of art to be proud of and treasure! It's appreciated by me! Thanks, Torrey
John,

Nice opening - grabs you right off the gate...nice acoustic. Great drum sound. Sweet lead guitar.

Nice vocal and harmonies.

Very nice arrangement and production. The lines where the music "quiets" (not sure what that song part might be called) are exquisite.

A pro mix.

Cool video!

Cool song. Very well done.

fj
This is really great, John! I always enjoy your work. Very creative. Your (and Richard's) writing in this kind of has a Ken Hensley feel to me (I have always liked his writing.) The video is very cool - well done!

Two thumbs up for this one.

Steve
Man, what a production! You obviously spent a lot of time on this, and it paid off big time.

Great write and vocals. Nice guitar work also!

One of the best songs I've heard on this site actually.

Oh yeah, great video too!

Well done.
John, You have posted many great songs in the past and I am always excited to see your name pop up here. I do think you have surpassed yourself here. Pro sounding mix and some fine vocals. To me the real star here is the arrangement. Brilliant use of pushes and holds as well as some unique chord choices in the different sections. Excellent video also. It doesn't get much better than this! Great work, Tom
Hi,Great project song and video very entertaining all the way ,love the intro and breakdown in particular ,super package H
In our opinion the crows are a lot smarter than the powers that decide smile

An over used word but what the heck...this production is EPIC! (audio and video)

Several listens will be required to even begin to appreciate all the wonderful nuances - as Tom said "Brilliant use of pushes and holds as well as some unique chord choices in the different sections."

There's nothing here that's is not absolutely highest bar. The vocals, the write, the arrangement and the mix are superb.

Easily one of the most impressive productions posted here in a long time.

Thanks for sharing. The amount of thought, work and talent that went into this is appreciated.

J&B

PS We've used that slide RT several times. You really made it shine.

Wow - I thoroughly enjoyed this smile Extremely entertaining, and I loved the dark vibes of the tune. It has a very distinct song, and a very powerful mood to it. It really is hauntingly beautiful.

Fantastic work - thanks for sharing!
hi skyline holy smokes love this very professional sounding great peace thanks eric
Fantastic song, sort of progressive rock in Genesis style, very nice chording and beautiful melody. I like the lyrics and the supporting video expands the theme nicely. Production is excellent. Requires several listens to notice all fine details.

Janne
Many thanks friends for all the nice comments. It makes it all worthwhile!

I'd been worried that the unorthodox bundle of chords wouldn't work - D, Dmi, Dbmi, A, Ami, E, Emi, B, Bmi, but it seems to have all somehow come together! This points up the rule that rules are made to be broken I guess!

Thanks again,
John
John,

Outstanding song and video. So much complexity and attention to detail in this arrangement - great vocal and professional mix.

Loved it!

Bob
Complete and solid in all respects. I really liked the full stop after the intro, and how the overall energy of the track builds up from simple backing to denser, richer as it moves along. Also liked the shadowy, whispery chorus vocals...also how the melody supports the title phrase there at the end. And, for your lyricist partner..”a quarreling of crows”—great inventive line!
Thanks Bob and Tano, much appreciated.
Yes, Tano, there's a lot to look out for in Richard's lyrics! (There was actually a third verse but it would have taken the song over the five minutes mark.)

John
Boy I loved this song. Super intro. Excellent vocal, lyric and backtrack. Such a first class production as well. Very nice...
This is just great. So much going on, so many clever changes of pace. Well integrated with multiple instruments. Loved the guitar lead. Just a fantastic job all around. And the video on top of it is way cool. NIIIIICE!!!
Hi, John !

I like this tune !
In fact I think it is
one of your absolute best !
And....what is best... it does
sound so fresh and original !

Congrats !

Cheers
Dani
Great stuff John!! Very reminiscent of the early 70's, my favorite time in music! So well put together. An outstanding production with beautiful vocals, arrangement, mix, and video. Awesome job!! Take care. Greg
Many thanks Scott, kybordr, Dani, Greg, for taking a listen, and for the kind comments.

John
© PG Music Forums