PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/12/18 06:26 PM
https://soundcloud.com/torrey-bliss/apple-of-my-eye

If anyone had told me 10-20 years ago that I would use a disco beat in a song I would have said that they had lost their mind! Yet here I am and I'll be darned if it didn't give me the drive this one always needed (especially in the chorus). This is my third and most likely, last attempt at this song. It's a rework of the first song I ever posted on the forum. This time I did the guitar work with an electric instead of acoustic. It's a "happy" song I dedicate to my grandkids! I want to spread some positive vibrations with my music! Hope it makes someone smile! Thanks for the listen!

BIAB
Bass - 2612 Funk Half Note Pulse
Bass - 2260 Funky Groove 60's
Drums - Funk Disco
Drums - Southern Pop 8's
Guitar - 1403 Rhythm Soul 70's Warm Held
Guitar - 1436 Jazz Funk Groovin Muted Ev16
Synth - 2276 Rhythm Disco Piano High
Synth Pad - 1840 Pop Modern Groove Mellow

Me
Lead Guitar - Taylor T5
Background Vocals
Synths
Percussion
Posted By: floyd jane Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/12/18 06:47 PM
Torrey,

This is a terrific listen, Torrey.

Nice opening. Drums sound good - nice snappy snare. The bass is super - punchy and crisp. The background synths work well.

Very nice clean tone on your guitar. Good, smooth, melodic playing.

The drum break is a nice touch and nicely done. The handclaps are really nice (did you record those? or is that a loop?).

Good mix. Well put together. Gets ya movin'. You were born to disco smile

floyd
Posted By: rsdean Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/12/18 07:25 PM
Torrey,

This version is fantastic - love the groove.

The mix is great and I really like the synth wash effect around the 2:40 - great stuff!

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/12/18 07:34 PM
Torrey

Lovely song. Wonderful playing throughout - great tone and phrasing and continually inventive.
Nice disco beat!
A really nice instrumental with some excellent touches throughout.

Peter
Posted By: cubanpete Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/12/18 08:21 PM
Tell you what, I didn't hear the other versions but this one is a keeper. Terrific work!

Mike B,
Posted By: RnAM Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/12/18 08:48 PM
Torrey,

I didn't know that Taylor also sells electric guitars.
But you sure play it well!
I remember this song title and I also remember the first song I heard from you here on the forum .
But that had a very cool vocal. Are we talking about the same song?
Good work!

Rob
Posted By: Scott C Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/12/18 11:30 PM
Loved the disco comment Torrey. Made me chuckle. This was a good choice for a style. Guitar was excellent. Super tone and some very cool licks. Well done...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/13/18 07:49 AM
Yeah, nice one!!

Love the playing, your phrasing and note choice reminds me of George Benson, was he an influence? Just so fluid and melodic.

Mix sounds great too through the 'phones.

Really good, Torrey, enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/13/18 07:59 AM
Thanks for the comments Floyd! The hand claps were loops. I forgot to list them.
Posted By: tommyad Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/13/18 08:51 AM
Torrey, That is some fine playing. The production is very high quality. Sounds great, Tom
Posted By: Robertkc Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/13/18 01:29 PM
Torrey,
I missed the orignal version but this is a terrific listen! Love your tone and phrasing on the Taylor (especially where you go with the melody at 1:55). As polished and tasteful an arrangement as I`d expect from you with some subtle surprises like the handclaps.
I`m curious how you got the intro synth to bounce across the spectrum like that?

Robert
Posted By: Sergio Guarneri Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/13/18 04:31 PM

Excellent music.
Great production and performance.

Super guitar playing: in some moments I can feel George Benson's style.

One of your best

Sergio
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/13/18 06:12 PM
I really dig the funky vibe this song is giving off! Really love what you did with song. I actually played it a few times. grin Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/13/18 06:19 PM
It made me smile! What year was the original Torrey?

I would like to hear that too if you want to post it maybe here so we can hear the first creation.

Some really gorgeous playing here. Wow. What kind of guitar effects are you using?
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/14/18 07:12 AM
Thanks Bob for taking the time to listen and comment I always appreciate that! T
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/14/18 11:45 AM
Wow - I thoroughly enjoyed this one! The retro feeling sounds almost effortless, it just flows so incredible well. I kept waiting for your vocals to come in, I may be wrong but I don't think I hear much instrumental stuff from you. Really refreshing to hear though. I'm imagining this filling a dancefloor with ease in a live setting.

Great work here - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/14/18 12:21 PM
Very enjoyable 70's pop-disco-soul sound with nice melancholy melody and lovely guitar playing.

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/15/18 07:05 AM
Thanks Peter for checking out the song! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/15/18 09:32 AM
If a song is going to feature solo guitar throughout it needs to be good...really good playing. And, man, did you ever do that with this superb expo of your melodic playing and tone.

And disco or not smile your choice of tracks and the arrangement (drum break is cool) are, as is typical of your tunes, perfect for the melody and groove.

The mix, everything, sounds great on our monitors.

Well done indeed and much enjoyed!

J&B
Posted By: cliftond Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/15/18 11:10 AM
THis is an excellent song Torrey, so well executed each musical part fits like a glove!!!!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/16/18 04:31 AM
Thanks Mike for listening and commenting! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: rayc Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/16/18 08:21 AM
THe disco beat move into rock in the Madchester era - dance rock was a perfect melding I suppose.
You've melded the exuberance of the beat with a very up beat guitar melody in a totally dancing happy track.
VERY nifty guitar playing Mr B.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/16/18 12:43 PM
I saw this song had a good number of comments so I knew I had to listen. Now I know why. I can't say much beyond what is said. Really nice job on this!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/16/18 12:52 PM
This is pretty good as others have said already. Yeah, nice tone on the guitar and some tasty playing as well.

Disco is actually a close cousin to funk. And they both lend well to jazz. I can get into them all when it's tasty and this is.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/16/18 09:47 PM
Thanks Rob for the nice words! This song has never had a lyric/vocal. I posted a song called "Apple Of God's Eye" once but not the same song/melody. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/17/18 10:57 PM
Thanks Scott! I appreciate your comment! T
Posted By: Deej56 Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/18/18 12:38 AM
Torrey,

You know, I despised disco back in the day, and while I’ll never like it a ton (or bring myself to admit that I do), my appreciation and respect for it has grown over time. You do a great job of utilizing that sound to make an inviting and engaging song. Easy on the ear—really like the drum solo section you have going on here as well. Great job on this!

Kindest regards,

Deej
Posted By: animarorecords Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/19/18 01:34 AM
Hello, Torrey

It makes feel George Benson somewhere, but it's not a jazz fusion.
It's very original using disco beat.
Really gorgeous playing!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: dcuny Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/19/18 04:05 AM
What they said! This was a very enjoyable listen.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/19/18 04:38 AM
Torrey,

From opening to closing, I found this a really, really engaging listen. There's no doubt in mind at all that the disco groove is a perfect vehicle to drive this song along. You've excelled yourself. Everything about this captured my imagination and my attention. I was with you all the way.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/19/18 07:34 AM
Thanks Dave for the listen! Yes, I’ve always had great appreciation for Mr Benson’s work. T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/20/18 08:26 AM
Thanks for listening and commenting Tom. I highly value your take on my work! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/20/18 08:29 AM
Thanks for the listen Robert! The synth effect is a ping pong type of panning being used. T
Posted By: LPman Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/21/18 04:19 AM
Hi Torrey Bliss
Nice guitar work! Thanks for spreading some happiness grin
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/21/18 05:51 AM
Very nice Torrey. Excellent work on the guitar.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/21/18 06:13 AM
Thanks Sergio for taking the time to listen comment on this song! I always appreciate your input! Thanks T
Posted By: SpaceDog Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/22/18 12:17 PM
Torrey,

It works for me. Nice bright tune. Good mix as well.
SD
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/22/18 10:29 PM
Thanks Ember for the positive vibes! I appreciate it! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/25/18 07:11 AM
Thanks David, Deryk, Janne, J&B, Clifton, rayc, HearToLearn, Herb, Deej, Shigeki, dcuny, Noel, LPMan, Joanne and SD for the listen and comments! I appreciate it! To answer your question David, I can’t repost old version of this one because I deleted it. The effects used were just compression, reverb and delay. Hopefully this group hug will please some sad souls worried and post bumping!!! Thanks, T
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: APPLE OF MY EYE - 05/25/18 04:45 PM
This is definitely a feelgood song!! Makes me feel good! There is just an air of freshness and inspiration that permeates the music. Beautiful playing!! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums