Is there any end to all the spin-outs?
Can we arrive at all?
This treadmill run--
What can be done?
And yet we contend
That the blessed end's so near!

====================
Posted By: MarioD Re: Betweening - 06/10/18 05:27 PM
Great intro! I really like your vocal here and your lyrics like "We want satisfaction; But we live by distraction; The great destination slips away--Instead desperation." are not only great but so true. Nice harmonies also. Great use of RTs.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Betweening - 06/10/18 05:30 PM
This song has such a lovely little bop to it. The lyrics has a really interesting abstract feeling to them, and yet they also made perfect sense at the same time. A little like a riddle? It's pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Betweening - 06/10/18 09:13 PM
Thanks Mario and Ember!!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Betweening - 06/11/18 11:13 PM
Very cool backtrack. Super vocal. Well done
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Betweening - 06/12/18 11:16 AM
Really nice work here, Tano smile It has a very surreal vibe to it I can't quite put my finger on. The abstract lyricism and unique vocal delivery paired with the off-kilter backing tracks really makes this an interesting listen. I really like the harmonies at the hook and the saxophone too - they work amazingly well with everything else going on.

You really made something unique here - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Betweening - 06/12/18 12:22 PM
Very cool "connect your own dots" lyric and the vocal worked very nicely.

We like Ember's mention of "lovely little bop." Yeah! We get that too -- cool groove.

It would be nice to hear a little about the production.

We enjoyed it. Well done!!!

J&B
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Betweening - 06/12/18 12:41 PM
Scott, Deryk, J&B..thanks for the comments and I sure appreciate you listening.

Regarding the production...I'm sure I started by just sitting down at my cheapo midi keyboard and set it up with a Rhodes-type vsti to see what kind of sound I could get, then just started playing that initial chord vamp. Then, like I usually do, I went into the chord screen of RB and started laying out some chord sequences that I thought might be interesting. Once having done that, I created the melody line. While I was doing that, somehow the 'word' "betweening" just popped into my mind--even tho it's not a real word. Well, that just grew into a song about how society always seems to be saying they are going to 'become' something, but always seems to wind up stuck in the in-between place, from where they started towards where they want to go. I found the RT solo's pretty much as is, altho I might have used the "multi-riff" function to pick out 1- or 2-bar phrases that I liked. With the vocal, I usually record it once, then have to refine individual parts to get it sounding like it's on-key; then I copy the vocal track and paste it into another track, usually 3 ticks later, to get some dimension to it. I use Necter to choose some type of vocal effect that sounds nice.
That's my story!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Betweening - 06/12/18 09:23 PM
This has an interesting synth vibe feel that holds my interest throughout the song and as always, thought provoking lyrics. Enjoyed this one a lot. I thought the arrangement was very nice.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Betweening - 06/13/18 03:33 AM
All sounds very nice with some excellent flourishes.
A very nice composition.

Peter
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Betweening - 06/13/18 03:35 AM
Hello, Tom

I think this tune has Burt Bacharach feel a little bit.
I hear some Bacharach's musical songs in this tune.
Excellent melody and the chord progression as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Betweening - 06/13/18 02:09 PM

Hey this is a really cool song.

I love the old school vibe.

Lots of fun!
Posted By: cliftond Re: Betweening - 06/13/18 02:23 PM
so futuristic and real, love the facts here and of course the tune is great as always. Tasty and well done!!!
© PG Music Forums