Bridge/Solo

3. V
the wind sounds like a whisper through the alley of the grains
soothing rain has fallen
falling down to cleanse the sky
get back to life
back into the times of rising high
right, right, right, right on time
(*INFO: that was the childrens rhyme song that inspired the author of the book Catcher in the rye)

The band:

Drums: FunkyGroove60s
Bass: (2609) Electric, ClassicFunkRootFiveAlex Ev 130
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2840:Piano, Rhythm SoulJazzMike Ev 130 (except for the bridge)
Also added a shaker in a few places using EZD2

I'm playing the guitar parts (used my tele)
Chris came up with the idea for the bridge and plays piano during that part.

Mixed using reaper with plugins from waves and iZotope, mastered using Ozone 8 and LMC.

As always we welcome constructive criticism!

EDIT: Updated the mix to fix a slight timing problem (thanks David Cuny!) and also uploaded to soundcloud. Also Chris did a video for the song:

Posted By: rsdean Re: Right on Time - 07/05/18 08:50 AM
Dave,

This is a great song! Love the track mix and arrangement. Some great guitar and piano breaks...

I really like the phrasing Chris displays here - outstanding!

Bob
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Right on Time - 07/05/18 06:22 PM
Right on time, right on the money!!! Cool blues...catchy melody, good vocals, and some very tasty guitar licks!! Great job guys!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Right on Time - 07/05/18 07:41 PM
Dave, you are probably going to think I'm nuts, but I keep expecting Gregg Rolie to jump in on your track. He would probably love to! Great song! Loved the groove. Great musicians all the way around.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Right on Time - 07/05/18 07:47 PM
Dave & Chris,
Love the funky groove and outstanding vocal on this.
The bridge adds an upbeat feel and your guitar work is among the best on the forum.
Thanks for the lyric note... been a long time since I read that novel!

Robert
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Right on Time - 07/05/18 09:55 PM
Drew me in right from the start. Great captivating vocal and chord progression. Top marks from me. Rob
Posted By: dcuny Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 04:04 AM
Catchy! I settled into the groove and enjoyed the listen.

One really, really minor nit - when the vocal enters after the solo at 1:05, it feels like it came in just a touch late - like the /R/ begins on the beat, instead of the /IY/ sound.

Fun listen - it's still running through my head. laugh
Posted By: PeterF Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 05:09 AM
Dave & Chris

Great overall sound (loved the shaker) everything where it should be in the mix.
Excellent vocal - and some nice soloing (both piano and tasteful guitar) throughout.
Great work.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 07:05 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dave,

This is a great song! Love the track mix and arrangement. Some great guitar and piano breaks...

I really like the phrasing Chris displays here - outstanding!

Bob

Thanks, Bob, happy you liked it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 07:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Right on time, right on the money!!! Cool blues...catchy melody, good vocals, and some very tasty guitar licks!! Great job guys!! Take care. Greg

Thanks for the listen and comment, Greg, I appreciate it!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 12:19 PM
Really nice work here smile A very well done tune that displays a strong understanding of songwriting. Really strong vocals, and I love the hook on this one.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 12:54 PM

Dave,

This is top shelf all the way. My favorite of yours so far.

Super mix, production, vocals, mastering, everything. This is way beyond the hobbyist stage into the pro stage man,

Love the video too. Where did that footage come from?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 04:05 PM
Chris & Dave,

Y'all are making such good music.

Everything about this works. An interesting write. Good playing (from both of you. Excellent vocals. Excellent mix.

In-the-pocket.

fj
Posted By: Sundance Re: Right on Time - 07/06/18 10:08 PM
Rocking groove. Has a cool live feeling club vibe to it. Makes me wanna dance. Great job you two!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/07/18 08:12 AM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Dave, you are probably going to think I'm nuts, but I keep expecting Gregg Rolie to jump in on your track. He would probably love to! Great song! Loved the groove. Great musicians all the way around.

Gregg Rolie?! Man, how cool would that be!

Thanks for the listen and comments, very much appreciated! Looking forward to hearing a new one from you with that fabulous drumming, it's been too long.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/07/18 08:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave & Chris,
Love the funky groove and outstanding vocal on this.
The bridge adds an upbeat feel and your guitar work is among the best on the forum.
Thanks for the lyric note... been a long time since I read that novel!

Robert

Yes, there are some great guitarists on this forum, no question about that! I always enjoy hearing other people play.

Thanks for the support, Robert!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/07/18 08:21 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Catchy! I settled into the groove and enjoyed the listen.

One really, really minor nit - when the vocal enters after the solo at 1:05, it feels like it came in just a touch late - like the /R/ begins on the beat, instead of the /IY/ sound.

Fun listen - it's still running through my head. laugh

Hi David,

Man, that timing problem was very subtle, I couldn't hear it and neither could Chris. But when I expanded the view in Reaper I could see it, just a fraction of a second late. And of course very easy to fix in Reaper.

It is the little things that make the difference between a pro recording and an amateur recording, so thanks very much for pointing that out, I appreciate it! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/07/18 08:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Drew me in right from the start. Great captivating vocal and chord progression. Top marks from me. Rob

Happy you like it, Rob, and thanks for noticing the chord progression! A bit more sophisticated than most of our songs and took a while to work out!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Right on Time - 07/07/18 09:15 AM
Dave & Chris,

What a great song! Tons of attitude and a beat that just won't go away - even after the song ends. Chris' vocal is so danged good - grit and punch. And as always, Dave, your guitar work is splendid. Terrific song and presentation!

Alan
Posted By: dani48 Re: Right on Time - 07/07/18 04:44 PM
Hi, Dave !

What a wonderful tune -
absolutely haunting !!!
Loved it from start to
finish !

Professional all thru !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Right on Time - 07/07/18 07:38 PM
Great work on this BlueAttitude! I enjoyed the overall tone of this. Fantastic choice of instrumentation. Those Guitars have a great crunch to them and the vocalist is powerful. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/08/18 08:32 AM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave & Chris

Great overall sound (loved the shaker) everything where it should be in the mix.
Excellent vocal - and some nice soloing (both piano and tasteful guitar) throughout.
Great work.

Peter

Thanks, Peter! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/08/18 08:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really nice work here smile A very well done tune that displays a strong understanding of songwriting. Really strong vocals, and I love the hook on this one.

Thanks for sharing!

Happy you liked it, Deryk, thanks for the listen and comment!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/08/18 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Dave,

This is top shelf all the way. My favorite of yours so far.

Super mix, production, vocals, mastering, everything. This is way beyond the hobbyist stage into the pro stage man,

Love the video too. Where did that footage come from?

David, man, you pretty much made my day with those comments! Makes me think I'm heading in the right direction, thanks so much!

No idea where the video footage came from. We decided a long time ago that Chris is much better at doing the videos than me, so I just let her do her thing.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/09/18 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Chris & Dave,

Y'all are making such good music.

Everything about this works. An interesting write. Good playing (from both of you. Excellent vocals. Excellent mix.

In-the-pocket.

fj

Thanks as always floyd for the support and encouragement, it is appreciated!

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Rocking groove. Has a cool live feeling club vibe to it. Makes me wanna dance. Great job you two!

Thanks, Josie! smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/10/18 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Dave & Chris,

What a great song! Tons of attitude and a beat that just won't go away - even after the song ends. Chris' vocal is so danged good - grit and punch. And as always, Dave, your guitar work is splendid. Terrific song and presentation!

Alan

Thanks very much Alan, happy you liked it!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Dave !

What a wonderful tune -
absolutely haunting !!!
Loved it from start to
finish !

Professional all thru !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks for the listen and comment, Dani!

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Great work on this BlueAttitude! I enjoyed the overall tone of this. Fantastic choice of instrumentation. Those Guitars have a great crunch to them and the vocalist is powerful. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for stopping by, Joe!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Right on Time - 07/10/18 10:17 PM
Very cool track Dave and Chris. Back track groove was infectious. Loved your guitar dancing around the vocal. Very nice touch. Vocal was just superb. Man has she got an awesome voice. Your solo was also very cool. Tone was so gritty. Just an excellent tune...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/12/18 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool track Dave and Chris. Back track groove was infectious. Loved your guitar dancing around the vocal. Very nice touch. Vocal was just superb. Man has she got an awesome voice. Your solo was also very cool. Tone was so gritty. Just an excellent tune...

Happy you liked this one, Scott! Thanks for the listen and comments smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Right on Time - 07/12/18 11:05 AM
Wow!

This is one nuanced tune. Plenty cool vocal, lyric and guitar subtleties make it stand way, way above the pack.

The production sound like a group that’s been playing together a long time - a credit to the two of you (along with a shout out to BiaB).

There’s such a smooth, polished feel that even after several listens we just get drawn in and forget about trying to listen for “this or that.” It’s so easy to fall into the whole production. That is a perhaps awkwardly stated compliment! smile

Tremendous write, performances, production and a cool video also!

J&B
Posted By: cliftond Re: Right on Time - 07/12/18 11:35 AM
Clean and Clear, upfront vocals, the mix is so well done, wish I had that talent, this is a great song Chris. Cliff
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/13/18 07:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Wow!

This is one nuanced tune. Plenty cool vocal, lyric and guitar subtleties make it stand way, way above the pack.

The production sound like a group that’s been playing together a long time - a credit to the two of you (along with a shout out to BiaB).

There’s such a smooth, polished feel that even after several listens we just get drawn in and forget about trying to listen for “this or that.” It’s so easy to fall into the whole production. That is a perhaps awkwardly stated compliment! smile

Tremendous write, performances, production and a cool video also!

J&B

Thanks very much Janice and Bud!
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Right on Time - 07/13/18 07:49 AM
nicely put together excellent sound/ vocals , loved the lyrics.

top notch as they say.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/13/18 07:55 AM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Clean and Clear, upfront vocals, the mix is so well done, wish I had that talent, this is a great song Chris.

Thanks, Cliff!

Getting good at mixing is mostly about practice and training your ears, the more you do it the better you get at it.
Getting good feedback from others also is priceless and there are a few people here that to my ears constantly produce pro quality mixes.

My name is Dave BTW, Chris is my songwriting partner (lyricist, singer, keyboards)
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/15/18 08:21 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
nicely put together excellent sound/ vocals , loved the lyrics.

top notch as they say.

Thanks for the listen and comments beatmaster!
Posted By: dani48 Re: Right on Time - 07/15/18 08:58 AM
Hi, Dave !

Wonderful tune, singing, playing
and mixing ! As pro as it can get !
I am very impressed by this superb
tune and performance !!

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Right on Time - 07/15/18 09:14 AM
Dave and Chris,

This is spectacular! The quality of everything is way up in the stratosphere... it's a brilliant listen.

As I'm sitting here typing, the production oozes with professionalism and sparkling clarity. The two of you have have become a song-writing force par excellence!

I really enjoyed listening.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Right on Time - 07/15/18 05:41 PM
This is fantastic! Excellent vocal, lyrics and backing tracks all in a super cool blues mode. And those guitar leads, WOW, you made that Tele sing!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Right on Time - 07/17/18 08:10 AM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Dave !

Wonderful tune, singing, playing
and mixing ! As pro as it can get !
I am very impressed by this superb
tune and performance !!

Cheers
Dani

Happy you liked it Dani, thanks for the listen and comment!

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Dave and Chris,

This is spectacular! The quality of everything is way up in the stratosphere... it's a brilliant listen.

As I'm sitting here typing, the production oozes with professionalism and sparkling clarity. The two of you have have become a song-writing force par excellence!

I really enjoyed listening.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks, Noel for those very kind remarks, means a lot!

We have a lot of fun working on these songs together, and at the end of the day that's what matters IMHO.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is fantastic! Excellent vocal, lyrics and backing tracks all in a super cool blues mode. And those guitar leads, WOW, you made that Tele sing!

Thanks, Mario! I've been playing the tele a lot lately, it's my go to guitar these days.
© PG Music Forums