PG Music Home
Posted By: floyd jane Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 04:46 PM
A 4-minute Country-EDM-Spaghetti-Western

The BAND (and what-not)

RealTracks in style: 1536:Bass, Electric, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 2702:Bass, Synth, CloudRapSub Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2741:Bass, Synth, AltHipHopA-B Ev16 085
RealTracks in style: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealTracks in song: 2446:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Background SpaghettiWestern Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 2714:Guitar, Nylon, Background SlowSwingBrent Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 3027:Vocal Oohs, Background Pop3-part Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes

A couple of Loops (Studio One) - shakers, guitar
I created drums beats and bass and organ patterns (MIDI)

LIVE BY THE GUN

you don't turn away from a stranger's stare
you don't turn the corner without saying a prayer

he had no choice but to saddle up
for the sake of his young wife and son
it broke his heart to be runnning
but the town had learned the story of his gun
a peaceful sunday, just out of church
they heard his name called from the street
the whisper of leather, the thunder of guns
and one more man lay dying at his feet

when you live by the gun
   they don't leave you room to run
   a legend has a life of its own
   so you face all that come
   when you live by the gun

for years he drifted from town to town
to find one where no one knew his name
but he could never hide from the bitter regret
of the price of unwanted fame
passing a church, lost in reflection
a voice challenges, "i've heard you're the best"
could that be the face of his own son
through the smoke as the bullet hits his chest

when you live by the gun
   they don't leave you room to run
   a legend has a life of its own
   so you face all that come
   when you live by the gun

you don't turn away from a stranger's stare
you don't turn the corner without saying a prayer
now, he'll face all that come
he lives by the gun

Listen in phones to catch everything...
Hope you find this interesting.
Comments welcome.
Have at it.

floyd
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 04:53 PM
floyd,

This is exceptional.

I was enthralled as I listened... so much quality everywhere! The effects, the harmony, the words, the melody, your performance, the arrangement, the production....

All the ear candy that you've incorporated into this production makes for a fantastic ride. As I'm typing this, I'm sitting here thinking, "Is this floyd's best? His songs are always brilliant but this one really grabs me. Is it his best? I really don't know. Right at this moment, it is, for sure."

This reminded me of "The Gambler" in that the lyrics presented a very engaging narrative with a powerful message threaded through the them.

A wonderful listen in every way possible.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 05:05 PM
Noel said it much better than I could. Floyd you always sound professional but this one is really exceptional. Your vocals (loved those soft delays!), lyrics and one hell of a backing track.

This is one of your best if not your best to date.
Posted By: EMG Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 05:37 PM
Wonderful song. Really enjoyed this.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 06:39 PM
Floyd,

Love the drama in the music. There's perfect prosody between music and lyric. I'm enjoying some these "outta the box" tunes you've posted lately - really, really good stuff. This one has a ton a of dynamic tension throughout - it's near impossible to not listen all the way through.

I'm not sure what the level above "excellent: is called, but this certainly earned its way there. Really really super.

Alan
Posted By: rsdean Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 07:23 PM
Floyd,

This is just SO GOOD! Great song and a tremendous vocal...

Love the band, mix and the handclaps are very cool. Everything about this mix is so nuanced - sounds like a record to me!

Loved it!!!

Bob
Posted By: PeterF Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 07:26 PM
floyd

Looking forward to the movie this is the theme song to!
Some amazing touches and attention to detail, along with a terrific composition.
Fantastic a real treat.

Peter
Posted By: ROG Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 07:36 PM
Hi Floyd,

Professional as ever, this fabulous song paints pictures as I listen.

Entertaining and thought provoking at the same time.

Lots of messages here, all wrapped up in an excellent package.

Faultless mix.

ROG.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 07:38 PM
Floyd,

A very dramatic song with wonderful production details- particularly the EDM touches.
Loved everything about this!

Robert
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 08:13 PM
Grabbed my attention from the first word till the last. What a masterful production. Plenty of emotion going on here. Great mix and performance. Thanks for listing Floyd. Rob.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Live By The Gun - 07/15/18 11:16 PM
This an incredible tune Floyd. I think this has to be my favorite vocal of yours.

The guitar in the background was very cool. Cool tone. I was listening on the headphones and was trying to isolate the different things you had going on. Your mix blows me away. What was really cool was the kick drum. Very neat how you did that.

Super song Floyd...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 07:13 AM
WOW!! Definitely one of your best, my new favorite hands down.

Excellent song, superb vocal, but man, the production and mix!! Possibly the best I have heard here on the forum, so many things going on and such attention to detail.
You have set the bar very high indeed and give the rest of us mortals something to strive toward smile

Just top notch in every way, thoroughly enjoyed.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 08:06 AM
real nice song with great vocals, you do the cowboy style effortlessly.

As was said in previous post, I could see this being the track played when the credits roll by at the end of an old western.
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 09:17 AM
Country-EDM-Spaghetti-Western...my favorite genre.

I was trying to figure out if it was notes 1 and 2 that grabbed me; or if you already had me on the first note. I think maybe right at the first note. Either way, you really had me. You VERY effectively set the tone of the song immediately.

What a cool song. Man, I know I say this; but I'm big on atmosphere. Every single element is there to create it. From the lyric, to the performance, to all of the various things you did to support it. So interesting.

I am a big fan of ear candy. I had no idea you opened an ear candy shop.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 10:20 AM
What a tune! It is so powerful, and has an epic feeling to it. I'm a sucker for the spaghetti western sort of style, and this nailed it while also providing a modern twist to it. Those harmonies on the chorus as so gigantic and luscious - it drew me in instantly.

You really did a great job here - thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: cliftond Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 10:49 AM
Yeah, I am a big Western fan, love this, those delays are awesome!!! Great song Floyd
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

This is exceptional.

I was enthralled as I listened... so much quality everywhere! The effects, the harmony, the words, the melody, your performance, the arrangement, the production....

All the ear candy that you've incorporated into this production makes for a fantastic ride. As I'm typing this, I'm sitting here thinking, "Is this floyd's best? His songs are always brilliant but this one really grabs me. Is it his best? I really don't know. Right at this moment, it is, for sure."

This reminded me of "The Gambler" in that the lyrics presented a very engaging narrative with a powerful message threaded through the them.

A wonderful listen in every way possible.

Regards,
Noel

Noel - Thanks for such a nice write up! I did have a lot of fun putting this together - trying a few new production techniques to keep things moving forward...
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 05:08 PM
Hey Floyd,

I really loved the atmospheric feel you conjured up in this, and the loops were a nice addition.

It did seems like a mini movie, very visual--a song movie with a built in soundtrack. Cool stuff.

The lyrics are among your very best. Very cinematic. Great job man.
Posted By: dani48 Re: Live By The Gun - 07/16/18 05:50 PM
Hi, Floyd !:))

One of your ultimate best
without question ! Could
go into a Western film anytime !
Those lyrics of yours were
also marvelous, one almost got
the feelin´you´d really been
there (as a guy livin´by the gun
with all the anxiety it surely
must mean) !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: dcuny Re: Live By The Gun - 07/17/18 01:41 AM
Wow.

To be honest, I saw the lyrics, and thought "A corny Western song?" And then I hit the play button and it sucked me right in. laugh

One of the biggest problems that I have in songwriting is thinking that I've got to say something new.

This shows that the real trick is to tell it well. And this song does it in spades.

Great storytelling, cool stereo effects that really add to the atmosphere, super effective return to the opening line. Evocative descriptions, emotional.

Wow.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/17/18 09:39 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Noel said it much better than I could. Floyd you always sound professional but this one is really exceptional. Your vocals (loved those soft delays!), lyrics and one hell of a backing track.

This is one of your best if not your best to date.

Thanks for that, Mario...

Originally Posted By: EMG
Wonderful song. Really enjoyed this.

Ermar - I appreciate you having a listen...
Posted By: rayc Re: Live By The Gun - 07/17/18 10:05 AM
Superb.
The baritone guitar is fabulous - I love them generally but that's a very cool RT and even cooler use of it.
The only nit was that at 1.24 it seemed to abruptly jump up in volume & wide in the stereo image.
Listened a couple of times because it's, really, superb.
The use of reverb and panning adds to the cinematic sensation.
Voice is perfect for this as well -. As we sometimes say in Australia...UNROOL!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Live By The Gun - 07/17/18 01:02 PM
AWESOME!!! Don't need a video since the strong lyrical images bring flashes of Clint Eastwood across my mind. Everything here is perfect, from the story to the musical bed, to a fantastic vocal (one of your best Floyd)!! Could not be better!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: furry Re: Live By The Gun - 07/18/18 08:43 AM
Awesome song Floyd. Good story well put together
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/18/18 11:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd,

Love the drama in the music. There's perfect prosody between music and lyric. I'm enjoying some these "outta the box" tunes you've posted lately - really, really good stuff. This one has a ton a of dynamic tension throughout - it's near impossible to not listen all the way through.

I'm not sure what the level above "excellent: is called, but this certainly earned its way there. Really really super.

Alan

Alan - thanks for the very kind words... really appreciated...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/18/18 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This is just SO GOOD! Great song and a tremendous vocal...

Love the band, mix and the handclaps are very cool. Everything about this mix is so nuanced - sounds like a record to me!

Loved it!!!

Bob

Bob - I certainly appreciate that...
Posted By: jannesan Re: Live By The Gun - 07/19/18 08:19 AM
One of the best song I've heard on this forum. Gorgeous ballad with dark mood, excellent production with nice details. Reminds me of The Gunman by Prefab Sprout, maybe all song about men with guns sound bit similar smile

Janne
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Live By The Gun - 07/19/18 10:48 AM
This is pretty sweet on my cheap speakers... I mean after all.... it's got a tremolo guitar....

I will check this out on cans later.

Really nice lyric writing and I loved the twist in the plot at the end. Everyone eventually meets someone better. Ironic that is was his own son.

Well done my friend.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/20/18 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Looking forward to the movie this is the theme song to!
Some amazing touches and attention to detail, along with a terrific composition.
Fantastic a real treat.

Peter

Thanks, Peter...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/21/18 08:52 AM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd,

Professional as ever, this fabulous song paints pictures as I listen.

Entertaining and thought provoking at the same time.

Lots of messages here, all wrapped up in an excellent package.

Faultless mix.

ROG.

Always look forward to your reaction to these productions, ROG... Thanks...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/22/18 09:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,

A very dramatic song with wonderful production details- particularly the EDM touches.
Loved everything about this!

Robert

Thanks, Robert - appreciate the mention of the EDM stuff...

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Grabbed my attention from the first word till the last. What a masterful production. Plenty of emotion going on here. Great mix and performance. Thanks for listing Floyd. Rob.

Thanks for listening, Rob...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/23/18 01:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This an incredible tune Floyd. I think this has to be my favorite vocal of yours.

The guitar in the background was very cool. Cool tone. I was listening on the headphones and was trying to isolate the different things you had going on. Your mix blows me away. What was really cool was the kick drum. Very neat how you did that.

Super song Floyd...

Thanks, Scott... really appreciate that...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/23/18 10:31 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
WOW!! Definitely one of your best, my new favorite hands down.

Excellent song, superb vocal, but man, the production and mix!! Possibly the best I have heard here on the forum, so many things going on and such attention to detail.
You have set the bar very high indeed and give the rest of us mortals something to strive toward smile

Just top notch in every way, thoroughly enjoyed.

Dave - thanks for such a nice comment... really appreciate that...
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Live By The Gun - 07/24/18 09:42 AM
I asked Janice for her thoughts on this production...she got out her phone and wrote this in our shared Apple Notes:

- Killer vocal

- Great dynamics

- Wonderful band and build

- Cool harmonies and effects

- Cinematic imagery

- I want the movie

I decided not to expand on her notes other than “ditto!”

J&B
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Live By The Gun - 07/24/18 11:58 PM
One of the top songs on the forum in quite a while. Everything is stellar from beginning to end. I'm getting a bit of Tyminski feel from the production but that only drives itup to a higher level. As you've spoken elsewhere, "In a just world....."
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Live By The Gun - 07/25/18 03:18 AM
Hello, floyd

Very impressive intro!
Great song!
I agree with HearToLearn.
Country-EDM-Spaghetti-Western.
I think that it expresses this song very well.
Your vocal ia very strong as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Live By The Gun - 07/25/18 09:50 AM
Floyd, agree with so many of the comments/compliments already posted. What I liked especially was the vocal dynamics--intimate, proclaiming, echoing at times, doubled, shout-and-call, etc--this aspect in particular for me showed your expert composition/production skills. I wish I had the depth of thinking to do this kind of stuff!! Very inspirational...thanks for showing what advanced skills and experience can do!!
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Live By The Gun - 07/25/18 11:07 PM
hi Floyd your songs always leave impression on the listener great peace here thanks eric
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/26/18 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
real nice song with great vocals, you do the cowboy style effortlessly.

As was said in previous post, I could see this being the track played when the credits roll by at the end of an old western.

Thanks, beatmaster...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/27/18 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Country-EDM-Spaghetti-Western...my favorite genre.

I was trying to figure out if it was notes 1 and 2 that grabbed me; or if you already had me on the first note. I think maybe right at the first note. Either way, you really had me. You VERY effectively set the tone of the song immediately.

What a cool song. Man, I know I say this; but I'm big on atmosphere. Every single element is there to create it. From the lyric, to the performance, to all of the various things you did to support it. So interesting.

I am a big fan of ear candy. I had no idea you opened an ear candy shop.

C - thanks for the sweet review.

smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/28/18 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
What a tune! It is so powerful, and has an epic feeling to it. I'm a sucker for the spaghetti western sort of style, and this nailed it while also providing a modern twist to it. Those harmonies on the chorus as so gigantic and luscious - it drew me in instantly.

You really did a great job here - thanks so much for sharing smile

Deryk - thanks for stopping by...

Originally Posted By: cliftond
Yeah, I am a big Western fan, love this, those delays are awesome!!! Great song Floyd

Thanks, Cliff...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/29/18 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey Floyd,

I really loved the atmospheric feel you conjured up in this, and the loops were a nice addition.

It did seems like a mini movie, very visual--a song movie with a built in soundtrack. Cool stuff.

The lyrics are among your very best. Very cinematic. Great job man.

Thanks, Mr. Snyder...

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))

One of your ultimate best
without question ! Could
go into a Western film anytime !
Those lyrics of yours were
also marvelous, one almost got
the feelin´you´d really been
there (as a guy livin´by the gun
with all the anxiety it surely
must mean) !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks for stopping by, Dani...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/30/18 08:36 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Wow.

To be honest, I saw the lyrics, and thought "A corny Western song?" And then I hit the play button and it sucked me right in. laugh

One of the biggest problems that I have in songwriting is thinking that I've got to say something new.

This shows that the real trick is to tell it well. And this song does it in spades.

Great storytelling, cool stereo effects that really add to the atmosphere, super effective return to the opening line. Evocative descriptions, emotional.

Wow.

David - I appreciate that... 2 Wows from you - gotta like that!.. Thanks...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/30/18 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Superb.
The baritone guitar is fabulous - I love them generally but that's a very cool RT and even cooler use of it.
The only nit was that at 1.24 it seemed to abruptly jump up in volume & wide in the stereo image.
Listened a couple of times because it's, really, superb.
The use of reverb and panning adds to the cinematic sensation.
Voice is perfect for this as well -. As we sometimes say in Australia...UNROOL!

Thanks, ray... the "jump" at 1:24 are the harmonies - yes, a bit louder than they should have been. I'll address that if I do a re-mix...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
AWESOME!!! Don't need a video since the strong lyrical images bring flashes of Clint Eastwood across my mind. Everything here is perfect, from the story to the musical bed, to a fantastic vocal (one of your best Floyd)!! Could not be better!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg!! (...still, it might be fun to make a video... smile )
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 07/31/18 10:34 AM
Originally Posted By: furry
Awesome song Floyd. Good story well put together

Thanks for stopping by, Graham..

Originally Posted By: jannesan
One of the best song I've heard on this forum. Gorgeous ballad with dark mood, excellent production with nice details. Reminds me of The Gunman by Prefab Sprout, maybe all song about men with guns sound bit similar smile

Janne

Janne - I appreciate you having a listen. I've never heard of Prefab Sprout - it was interesting to listen to The Gunman... we did use similar methods for a number of things...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
This is pretty sweet on my cheap speakers... I mean after all.... it's got a tremolo guitar....

I will check this out on cans later.

Really nice lyric writing and I loved the twist in the plot at the end. Everyone eventually meets someone better. Ironic that is was his own son.

Well done my friend.

Thanks, Herb. Glad you enjoy this...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 08/01/18 11:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I asked Janice for her thoughts on this production...she got out her phone and wrote this in our shared Apple Notes:

- Killer vocal

- Great dynamics

- Wonderful band and build

- Cool harmonies and effects

- Cinematic imagery

- I want the movie

I decided not to expand on her notes other than “ditto!”

J&B

well, heck... could I ask more than that?????

smile

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
One of the top songs on the forum in quite a while. Everything is stellar from beginning to end. I'm getting a bit of Tyminski feel from the production but that only drives itup to a higher level. As you've spoken elsewhere, "In a just world....."

Charlie - What nice things to say! The production is, in fact, influenced by my latest listening obsessions - Southern Gothic being one of the main ones... a number of the "techniques" are used heavily throughout that record. I highly recommend it to everyone - especially those who are looking for "new production ideas"...
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Live By The Gun - 08/02/18 09:25 AM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Very impressive intro!
Great song!
I agree with HearToLearn.
Country-EDM-Spaghetti-Western.
I think that it expresses this song very well.
Your vocal ia very strong as usual.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
Floyd, agree with so many of the comments/compliments already posted. What I liked especially was the vocal dynamics--intimate, proclaiming, echoing at times, doubled, shout-and-call, etc--this aspect in particular for me showed your expert composition/production skills. I wish I had the depth of thinking to do this kind of stuff!! Very inspirational...thanks for showing what advanced skills and experience can do!!

TM - Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment...

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Floyd your songs always leave impression on the listener great peace here thanks eric

Eric - always nice to have you drop by...
© PG Music Forums