PG Music Home
Posted By: Warren Keller TUNE 8 - 07/18/18 08:03 PM
[Link no longer valid]

Hi friends, Hot off the presses is a new one by SGC!

Like many of its predecessors on my SoundCloud channel, Tune 8 is built around a sax riff I came up with while practicing.

This is my eighth production with PG Music software.

All tracks are RealTracks and RealDrums with the exception of my flute and tenor sax tracks. Thanks to Michael White, Alex Al, Michael Thompson, Dwight Sills, and Jeff Lorber for their amazing playing! I also tried something interesting on this one- 'brass' harmony parts generated from the melody by the TC Helicon harmonizer. They were subtly mixed in with the real horns for a nice effect.

The Basic style was JFMOVIN (Jazz Funk Movin').

The 10-band EQ, and PG Reverb were used on most tracks, with Chorus/Echo on the solo guitar and the horns. PG Dynamics Compressor was used for the solo guitar and piano. I used two outside plugins- EasyQ parametric equalizer, and Sanford Delay on the solo sax.

Other than BIAB/RB, Audacity was used for a dash of post-mix editing (crop, Amplify, bass boost for Soundcloud).

As always, thanks very much for listening and please enjoy! If you dig it, please leave a like, and consider following me at SoundCloud. Please note that SoundCloud forced me to change my URL from 'spontaneousgroovincombustion' to 'spontaneousgrvncombustion.' So, unfortunately, all of my previous posts now contain dead links. Just remember 'grvn' instead of 'groovin'-
https://soundcloud.com/spontaneousgrvncombustion.

Posted By: EMG Re: TUNE 8 - 07/18/18 08:38 PM
Very nice and well constructed. Wonderful Sax.
Thank you for sharing.
Posted By: Scott C Re: TUNE 8 - 07/18/18 09:05 PM
Excellent tune. Could be a theme song for a tv show. Well done
Posted By: Mikke Re: TUNE 8 - 07/18/18 09:11 PM
Great combination of Band-in-a-Box and live performances.

Definitely getting flashbacks to 80's/ early 90's theme music.

Really enjoyed it, it's super fun.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 01:30 PM
Well done Warren Keller! Very smooth piece and the arrangement is quite soothing! Love that walking bassline and guitar noodling around 2 minutes. Solid mixdown of all the instruments too. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Al-David Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 02:57 PM
Hi Warren,

Terrific composition! Everything where should be and doing its job perfectly. Loved the percussions and bass line. But your sax was spot on! Totally loved it in every way. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 03:25 PM
You folks are awesome. It's one of the reasons I keep putting it out there! So difficult to get heard today- Facebook, etc. totally ineffectual. So nice to have a home here at the PG Forum to share it with like-minded and generous people. If you have some time, please give Tune 7 a spin too. Posted around the 4th, it got missed by most. Appreciate you!
Posted By: dcuny Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 04:54 PM
Nice! The sax and flutes in the beginning gives is a real '70s feel. It felt like the some of the RTs were running a tad bit faster than their optimal speed, but perhaps that's because I tend to listen to slow music. wink

Naming the compositions would help them get a wee bit more attention. When I see someone post something like "Song #3", I can't help but wonder why someone expects to get a response to a song they didn't even bother to name. (Yeah, that's projection on my part).

Plus, BiaB has a function for auto-generating song names if you're really stuck.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 04:59 PM
This did sound like a 70s tv theme, and would not have been out of place either.

Enjoyed That, well done.
Posted By: MarioD Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 09:02 PM
Warren, although the RTs were a nice touch it was your playing that took it over the top for me.

Super chops!
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 09:58 PM
Very smooth. Great production.Rob
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 09:58 PM
dcuny, Thanks for your comment. Here's my answer. Please don't take the lack of titles as being dispassionate. It's actually quite the opposite. I haven't named them because I can't bring myself to do it yet. This may be hard to understand. My musical life had been all about words since I began songwriting at 16. As a Nashville songwriter in the 90s, and with rock beforehand, it had been about words, lyrics, storytelling, and hooks. While I always liked some elements of Jazz, I wasn't head over heels for it until 3 years ago, and that's partly because the music I loved always had great lyrical elements to it. My musical expression is quite the opposite now. I feel that I've said everything I wanted to say with words, and now much prefer to express myself instrumentally. The tracks are very important to me and I feel that giving them the wrong name or a throwaway title will somehow negate them. I don't know how most jazzers come up with their titles. It's hard for me to commit to an arbitrary name that doesn't have a strong connection to the tune, as again, particularly with Nashville songcraft, every word mattered. I suspect that at some point I'm just going to have to name them but I dread it. By the way, I'd be extremely open to and grateful for good suggestions when something strikes any of you! Thanks again.
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: TUNE 8 - 07/19/18 10:00 PM
Too kind Mario. I give it my best. We live in a world today where some college freshman can play circles around me!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: TUNE 8 - 07/20/18 09:59 AM
Warren, loved what you did with this trackā€¦ I liked your concept of using a simple riff as the melodic basis. The brass harmonies were outstanding, and your personal playing was spot-on. Looking forward to hearing more of this high quality work!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: TUNE 8 - 07/20/18 10:45 AM
What a tune! The first thought I had listening was how well put together it sounds. Every instrument compliments the other ones, and it all flows so nicely. It has flow like no other, partly due to that great groove in it. It almost reminds me of certain work by Bob James.

You should be proud of this one - thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Warren Keller Re: TUNE 8 - 07/20/18 11:41 PM
Tano, I passed by Charlotte NC tonight. Thanks for your super kind words! Deryk, I'm very flattered- thanks so much for your kind support. I just listened to some Fourplay. I was unfamiliar with Bob James! He's definitely got a similar groove to Jeff Lorber who is of course behind the RealTrack. I feel like I'm hitting a creative stride, and it's fueled by folks like all of you taking the time to listen and send good vibes my way. Much appreciated! As always, if there's anyone out there who's interested in collaboration or taking something on the road, I'm all ears.

Check the last one too, it's in this vein, and I think really cool as well-

https://soundcloud.com/spontaneousgrvncombustion/tune-7
Posted By: Noel96 Re: TUNE 8 - 08/08/18 06:20 PM
Warren,

This is a wonderful listen! You're a fantastic sax player!!!

Everything about this had me mesmerised... your playing, the music, the arrangement and the mix. It sounded all so very good!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: PeterF Re: TUNE 8 - 08/08/18 09:38 PM
Missed this first time round -(thanks Noel).
Really pro sounding song with some wonderful playing.
A fine piece.

Peter
Posted By: jford Re: TUNE 8 - 08/10/18 03:31 PM
Really enjoyed this, Warren. The mix between "live" and "real" is excellent and comes across as a unified project. Had my head boppin' the whole time.

Regarding the title, it sort of reminds me of Chris Rice's "Untitled Hymn", for which he did pretty well on the Contemporary Christian charts.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: TUNE 8 - 08/12/18 12:51 AM
Nice work Warren!! Yeah, those players are some great guys to jam with huh? But you hang in there very respectably! Nice tune indeed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: TUNE 8 - 08/12/18 02:13 PM
I like that! Man, it sounds so pro. Ya'll can jam. It's crazy how well BIAB worked for what you are doing. The whole thing sounds great!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: TUNE 8 - 08/17/18 03:35 PM
Wow Warrenton that was awesome! I really love this stuff! I listend to this while driving down the highway (perfect for that). Great musicianship is on display here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: TUNE 8 - 08/17/18 03:47 PM
Very smooth. Had me boppin fro start to finish. Loved the instrumentation It all worked to my ears.

Dave
© PG Music Forums