PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/18/18 11:22 PM
Hello Folks,
I read, accepted and applied suggestions offered. There was quite a long wait for a guitar solo that didn't arrive so I opted for a BIAB option. I did download a RealTrack set of guitar solos but, as good as they are, they didn't match the style or sound of the song so I used something alien and out of my comfort zone which, it seems, worked quite well.
Construction Paper Heart - FINISHED!

AND the video...
Pygmy Beat Construction video

BIAB components:
Drums - Bright Brit pop
Organ - background blues
Solo - Slide guitar
The rest came from:
Vantage bass
Squire Mustang HH guitar
Yamaha FX500
Joyo ACtone pedal
EHX Mel9 Pedal
Scarlett 8i6 interface
Recorded & mixed in Reaper
Mastered by Fran Ashcroft of Happy Beat Studio UK.
For those interested - I don't master my own stuff because a) I don't have the ears for it & b) a little distance offers a lot of perspective.
Fran is great - he mastered this from a 24bit file I sent to him with WeTransfer. Normally I do 16bit. Currently he charges around 25 UK Pounds to do his thing for me as I'm a regular. He's was only marginally dearer when I 1st approached him.

Construction Paper Heart

A construction paper globe,
Turning beneath a strobe.
From each construction paper heart,
I cut out a little part,

And I glue it to my own.
Which sits unused beside my phone,
As yet to take a single call,
See, I have no hope at all.

In my construction paper world,
I make plans that aren't unfurled.
But each brightly coloured page,
Sublimates my mounting rage.

And I glue it to my own.
Today I pinned them to the wall,

And I glue it to my own.
Your number written in my scrawl,

Now I cut and fold and glue,
So I don't take it out on you.

Any & all comments are welcome. Suggestions I'll apply/try to my next track as this one is done & dusted.
Hi rayc, Thanks for sharing this with us! Fantastic choice of instrumentation and the overall progression is brilliant. The overall vibe reminds me a little bit of the Clash. Great work on the vocals too! smile
As mentioned the Clash, Although defo 80s style, wish you had brought the vocals up more .

Good stuff.
Cool stuff! I agree with the 1980s comments - a well-orchestrated production that shines throughout. I could see this in a Rock Music stage production. Really cool!

ALan
Posted By: dcuny Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/19/18 04:44 PM
I enjoyed listening, and it definitely nailed the '80s vibe. smile

But I agree that the vocal seemed a bit buried against that wall of sound.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/19/18 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny

I agree!

This is a very good song and bringing up the vocal would bring it to perfection.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 02:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi rayc, Thanks for sharing this with us! Fantastic choice of instrumentation and the overall progression is brilliant. The overall vibe reminds me a little bit of the Clash. Great work on the vocals too! smile

Thanks Joe, you're very kind.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
As mentioned the Clash, Although defo 80s style, wish you had brought the vocals up more .
Good stuff.

Beatmaster,
the vocals are as up as I could cope with - sorry.
I often slag off 80s music only to realize I have 100s of albumbs from that period - most of which I love.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 02:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Cool stuff! I agree with the 1980s comments - a well-orchestrated production that shines throughout. I could see this in a Rock Music stage production. Really cool!

ALan

Thanks Alan,
It'd have to be a musical misanthropy but that'd be interesting too.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 02:23 AM

Thanks dcuny,
I used an 80s FX machine and an 80s bass so had a head start.
In my personal taste I prefer slightly buried or unclear vocals - early REM, The Residents, Pere Ubu etc. In this instance i was trying to hide my voice as much as I could get away with.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 02:24 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD

I agree!

This is a very good song and bringing up the vocal would bring it to perfection.

Mario,
If that translates to be just shy of perfection I'll take it. Thanks.
ray,

This is really well done.

A terrific cohesive sound. HUGE, yet clear. The drums and bass sound great (super bass sound!). The organ, too. Everything, actually...

I like the vocal where it is - just a little "buried" - I think that is right for the style (though I would have liked some "obvious delay" on it).

Excellent. Great listen.

fj
Wow - what a tune! I thoroughly enjoyed this. Someone else mentioned The Clash, and I definitely think this is reminiscent of that band and their output in the early 80's. I love the vocals on this, and the backing tracks worked perfectly.

Not a thing I'd change on this one - thanks for sharing smile
Ray,
I enjoyed the original version - this is an improvement with the slide guitar ( nice effects) and a different mix.
I like the slightly buried vocal - fits the style... and if the volume is cranked as it should be , it sounds about right!

Robert
Excellent song Ray, so many different shades and tones. Well done!!!
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
ray,

This is really well done.

A terrific cohesive sound. HUGE, yet clear. The drums and bass sound great (super bass sound!). The organ, too. Everything, actually...

I like the vocal where it is - just a little "buried" - I think that is right for the style (though I would have liked some "obvious delay" on it).

Excellent. Great listen.

fj

Thanks FJ,
I did toy with the delay on the vocal and quite liked it but decided against it as I'd already indulged too much in "wetnesses" and feared it was bringing the addiction back. In hindsight - you're right. Thanks for the generous words.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music

Not a thing I'd change on this one - thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk, that's a quote I can live with very happily.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Ray,
I enjoyed the original version - this is an improvement with the slide guitar ( nice effects) and a different mix.
I like the slightly buried vocal - fits the style... and if the volume is cranked as it should be , it sounds about right!
Robert

Thanks Robert,
I'd had two guitarists promise solos but both fell through for good reasons. I had thrown the slide solo on as a gap fill and to demonstrate my thoughts on building up to as well as playing out of "the slot". In the end it was a clear winner as the last man standing.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/20/18 08:04 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Excellent song Ray, so many different shades and tones. Well done!!!

Thanks Cliftond,
I appreciate your assessment.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/22/18 06:32 AM
I've added a video link to the original post for those who prefer distraction or a glimpse of my mug.
Quite a production! Sounds like something REM might have done back in the day.
Vocal sounds good to me, I like the way it is sitting in the mix.
Good song, enjoyed the listen!
An over used word but this is epic in production and sound...huge!

We like the slide and the vocal seems to sit where it should for this type of production.

Thanks for the backstory and other details.

Great listen!

J&B
Fantastic 80's Soundscape you've created here!! It is addictive. Reminds me a bit of Frankie goes to Hollywood or something. Excellent work all the way around!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/24/18 07:21 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Quite a production! Sounds like something REM might have done back in the day.
Vocal sounds good to me, I like the way it is sitting in the mix.
Good song, enjoyed the listen!

Thanks Dave.
It would've been one of the quickest recordins I'd done except I spend a month or two waiting for vocals & solos which didn't arrive.
the fact that everything, apart from the vocal, was recorded DI made things faster.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/24/18 07:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
An over used word but this is epic in production and sound...huge!
We like the slide and the vocal seems to sit where it should for this type of production.
Thanks for the backstory and other details.
Great listen!
J&B

Thanks J&B,
The BIG sound came, mostly, from the mastering. Fran is good at what he does.
The slide was just a fill in but, crikey, it really holds that spot well.
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/24/18 07:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Fantastic 80's Soundscape you've created here!! It is addictive. Reminds me a bit of Frankie goes to Hollywood or something. Excellent work all the way around!! Take care. Greg

Greg,
You are very generous, thank you.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 07/24/18 10:18 PM
Loved this tune very cool vocal and backtrack. Excellent mix
Posted By: rayc Re: Construction Paper Heart - Done & Dusted - 08/20/18 08:18 AM
Scott C,
thank you sir.
© PG Music Forums