PG Music Home
Posted By: guitar1 Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 01:51 AM
This is one that took way longer than I expected. A year to find the right RT style to fit it, and one day to record it. I've just gotten home from a weeklong RV outing. Had this song on my mind the whole time. I'm just glad I finally finished it. Hope it was worth it. It is late, so I'll post the lyrics tomorrow. Be well all.
[Link no longer valid]

Posted By: ROG Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 12:47 PM
Hey Gary, I can say that the 12 month wait was well worth it! I always love a good blues, so as soon as I saw the title I knew I had to check this out.

And Country Blues doesn't get any better than this. Loved the whole thing - the lyrics, the
band, the vocals, especially the solo and then a perfect blues ending.

A great mix as well, just to top it off. We need more of this stuff.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 01:04 PM
Nice wee blues number. Nice guitar work and the vocals, all polished this off to a nice pro sound.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 02:37 PM
Cool tune Gary. M kind of music. Vocal and lyric were awesome. Guitar was excellent... Well done
Posted By: Paul Haynes Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 04:01 PM
I like the catchy rhythm.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 09:01 PM
This song was super catchy! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 09:48 PM
Hi Gary, nice tune and feel. Well done.

Mike B.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/30/18 11:06 PM
Hi Gary,

Cool song! Glad you decided to get back to it. The payoff for us listeners made it well worth the wait. Really nice stuff going on here! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/31/18 01:23 PM
Gary,
Sounds like a good Bad Dog to me!
I like the lyrics - I can see why you had them going round your head, and the RTs work just fine. Nice drum breaks in the right places!
Well done.

Robert
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Bad Dog Blues - 07/31/18 02:11 PM
It’s really something how a song gets “stuck” in your mind’s “song-spot”..hangs onto you like a bad dog until you shake it off, maybe by completing it, like you did!!

Infectious groove, solid solo-ing, loved the little background voices toward the end, lyric fit the style perfectly.

Now, another year until we hear more great stuff from you? Hope not!!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/01/18 03:18 PM
I think you nailed it Gary!! Perfect RTs, with just the right production, and an "in the pocket" vocal! Excellent!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/02/18 10:13 AM
Great work Gary! I love the classic old school country swing on this, and your vocal performance is top notch. Definitely a throwback - and it is wonderfully catchy too. Got my toe tapping in seconds.

You did a fantastic job on this one - thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/02/18 04:03 PM
Thanks so much ROG. This is one my grandsons and I enjoy jamming together. In between family gatherings, I depend on BIAB for my musical entertainment and education, and have a ball doing it. I don't play out anymore but I get my music fix anyway. Thanks, and be well ROG.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/02/18 09:35 PM
Fun to listen to. Most likely the best use of the background vocals I've heard so far.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/03/18 11:18 AM
THIS is very cool.

Nice lead picking...loved that tone. What RT was that?

This has a really nice energy level. Your vocal is really well done and you have a good voice for this style.

My one recommendation is to try to get those accents, where the drums play but the band stops and hits accents, a little more powerful. Just a minor issue IMHO. And this might be related to this next issue.....

Oh yeah.... it has a high noise floor. Use an audio editor to trim the noise out at the start and end. You can't really hear it once the band comes in. That hiss is also muddling up the cleanliness of those accents too. It puts some noise in there with the drums. See if you can find the source of it. I find, in my studio recordings, it is often coming from the mic input or a guitar input.... but almost always in the audio inputs section. The real tracks are generally totally quiet regarding noise floors. If you find it is on the vocal track.... solo that track and listen with cans.... if there's a hiss in there, you found it. Just use volume envelopes to mute the track in the parts where the hiss is going to be a problem. The band covers it up but in that accent area, it might be a good idea to envelope the volume of the vocal track to zero in between the vocal phrasings so you have absolute silence for the drums to play unimpeded. Anyway... just rambling.... and thinking out loud.

Kinda sounds like my dog.... she don't bite no one but me.
Posted By: guitar1 Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/08/18 10:39 PM
Thanks Herb. I appreciate your comments, and I especially appreciate your input on the high noise floor. It took a while to figure it out, but I finally found it. The original vocal had a really low volume level, so I used a booster plugin that is included in Sonar Platinum. I have used it a time or two before without problems, but this time it caused some static in the vocal track. Even though I had deleted the spaces in between my vocal waves, the static still was there. What I discovered was really weird. The vocal track was routed to the master buss, and for some reason the plugin static was showing up on master output. You could actually see it displayed on the master, so it was in effect, almost like a separate track on top of everything else. Thanks for letting me know about it. I have a profound hearing loss in some ranges, so even though I use earphones to mix with, I couldn't hear it. If I hadn't been able to actually see it in the graphics, I would have never found it. I wish I had your ears. Thank you so much. Be well Herb and Thanks much.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/08/18 10:46 PM
Guitar1 this is good old country swing at its absolute best. Loved the lyrics on this one! Your vocal was nice and strong and your backing tracks were a perfect fit for it.
Posted By: cliftond Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/09/18 11:05 AM
Great country tune Gary, Dang that is good!!!!, your vocals hit this to a tee, love the guitar work on this, who was that?, Love it!!!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Bad Dog Blues - 08/09/18 11:31 AM
Enjoyed us some country blues!!!!!!

Well done all the way around.

J&B
© PG Music Forums