PG Music Home
Posted By: cliftond The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 10:23 AM
My wife and I, Sandy, lived and met in Laurel , Mississippi. If you watch the show Hometown on HGTV that is it. They have a hamburger stand, called Phillips Drive In, PDI for short, that was originally a dairy queen downtown that was, and is a main focal point. Teenagers would gather in that parking lot and make the circle around the block, Sears parking lot, mcdonalds, burger king and PDI, My wife did have a brown plymouth arrow, and we did make that circle a few times, pretty much a true story.

We used BIAB for everything except the Main Guitar, and vocals HA. Enjoy Cliff

[Link no longer valid]
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 01:58 PM
What a song Cliff!! I love thinking back to those simpler days. I watched American Graffiti with my kids about a week ago. You did a great job of bringing back those memories of great times in the past (of me personally, and the country). Arrangement and mix are perfect for the subject matter. AWESOME!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 03:01 PM
This song has a very nostalgic feel to it, and reading over your commentary for the song I can definitely see why.

Great job. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 03:41 PM

Clifton,

I love this. This sounds like Lynyrd Skynyrd demo man, that with just a few more tweaks could be on a Lynyrd Skynyrd album!!

Wow.

Where did you say you were from??

smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 04:16 PM
What a cool tune Clifton I don’t think anyone from a small town could not relate to these lyrics. Took me back in time Super vocal and backtrack
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 05:48 PM
Nice journey back to a time we fondly look back on. Well done all the way around.

And we enjoyed the backstory.

Nice!!

J&B

PS We've watched that show you mentioned
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 05:52 PM
Cliff,

A really nice Rockin' My Small Town song. Everyone should have one of these... Cool title.

One of your best.

Love the picture!

fj
Posted By: ROG Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 07:03 PM
Hi Cliff,

Loved the whole thing!

Small town life was a bit different over here in the North of England, in
fact nothing at all like that, but the picture you paint is still so easy
to imagine.

A wonderful piece of classic Southern Rock with excellent vocals - especially liked the
high harmony. And yeah, the guitars sounded very Skynard. Great stuff.

ROG
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 09:31 PM
Cliff,

Enjoyable song - nice story telling and well presented (nice use of the piano).
Good work.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/08/18 10:38 PM
Cliff IMHO this is your best to date. Your instrumentation and mix was spot on.

This took me back to a happier time, i.e. playing good ol' R&R, car racing driving, Hamburger stand with waitresses on roller skates, meeting my wife etc. Thanx for that trip!
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/09/18 12:26 AM
great back story

love the pic, nice southern rock groove

like your guitar work

I'm a Georgia boy myself (at least I was born there just a few miles from the Alabama line)

and love that guitar driven Skynyrd sound

cool song, enjoyed the listen,

Kenny
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/09/18 11:52 AM
Great rocking groove, well produced. The piano fits nicely.

Janne
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/10/18 10:49 AM
What a tune! Someone else mentioned Lynyrd Skynyrd as a comparison, and I think that is right on the money. It definitely has that deep-fried southern sound, complete with the rock singed twang and infectious groove. Loving the vocals on this, and the production was a big stand out for me too. It sounds really crisp - like you'd hear on the radio.

Great work and thanks so much for sharing smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/10/18 01:09 PM
Cliff,

Ditto to the accolades above - a totally authentic southern rocker.
Love the guitar work and the chorus harmonies.

Robert
Posted By: cliftond Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/10/18 01:56 PM
Thanks Greg, always loved watching happy days!!!
Posted By: cliftond Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/10/18 02:01 PM
Thanks Ember, just good ole southern hometown living HA!!,
Posted By: cliftond Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/10/18 02:04 PM
[quote=David Snyder]
Clifton,

I love this. This sounds like Lynyrd Skynyrd demo man, that with just a few more tweaks could be on a Lynyrd Skynyrd album!!

Wow.

Where did you say you were from??

Thanks David, those guys wish they could play our songs!! HA, We never considered it sounding like Skynyrd, but glad you think so!!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Brown Plymouth Arrow - 08/10/18 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
What a song Cliff!! I love thinking back to those simpler days. I watched American Graffiti with my kids about a week ago. You did a great job of bringing back those memories of great times in the past (of me personally, and the country). Arrangement and mix are perfect for the subject matter. AWESOME!!! Take care. Greg

Hi Cliff,

I think Greg said it better than I could have. I spent a lot of time (and gas) driving around hamburger joints like this. Glad gas was only 20 cents a gallon back then!We had a Burger Chef in my hometown (St. Charles, MO. - it was only 8,000 people then, 70,000 now) and a McDonalds about three blocks away. I wore out a lot of tires making that circle! Met my first wife at that Burger Chef. She was in a '64 Ford Fairlane and I was in a '64 Plymouth Satellite. I miss those days of relative innocence and simplicity.

Totally loved the song and your vocal was primo! Best to you.

ALan
© PG Music Forums