PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music Maryland Reel - 08/14/18 06:13 PM
Just a simple ditty...kind of thematic music for a Contradance scene in a period story..comments most appreciated.

[Link no longer valid]

Style = WelkPolka
All midi: string bass, acoustic piano, acoustic guitar, accordion, oboe, marimba, strings
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Maryland Reel - 08/14/18 06:56 PM

This is really cool.

What instrument is the melody being played on and from which library (Garritan, etc.)?

Very interesting.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Maryland Reel - 08/14/18 09:45 PM
Thanks David...I don't have alot of fancy sampled products, so I usually double or triple the midi sounds onto a single channel...in this case, I combined piano, oboe, and marimba to get that sound.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Maryland Reel - 08/15/18 12:42 AM
Very nice!. We enjoy almost all genres of music but so seldom hear a reel. This is very nice reminder of the genre. We read your reply to David about the mix of instruments you used to get the lead sound. Never would have thought about mixing those three - but it sounds great! Nice work!

ALan & Di
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Maryland Reel - 08/15/18 03:12 AM
Hello, Tom

Nice Polka!
You write songs of all genres.
I think you are a man of many talents.
I thought that your characteristics were appearing in the bridge melody.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Scott C Re: Maryland Reel - 08/15/18 10:02 AM
I really liked this song. It had a kind of happy feel to it. Very cool melody. Well done...
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Maryland Reel - 08/15/18 10:07 AM
Hi A&D, Shigeki, Scott..thanks for taking a listen..

Alan: I think I started with the piano on the melody, then decided I needed both a softer (wind) component, then a percussive...I added the marimba because I'm sure that I hear it quite often on orchestral movie scores when that slight percussive element is needed to add some volume to the melody line. Just experimented with different combinations of sounds until I was (somewhat) happy..still sounds a bit 'bright', but I've decided to leave it as is.
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Maryland Reel - 08/15/18 03:56 PM
Very well done. Enjoyed it. It had me tapping!

Dave
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Maryland Reel - 08/15/18 04:41 PM
This might be the first reel posted...heard some Celtic reel RT's before on the forum but this is the real deal (awful pun).

That was 1:11 of fun!

And very interesting how you combined those tracks.

J&B
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Maryland Reel - 08/15/18 06:19 PM
Thanks J&B...I have never 'contra-danced' but always liked the sound!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Maryland Reel - 08/16/18 02:30 AM
Tano,

I came close to commenting on this last night, but hesitated. I think it's wonderful-- it reminded me of a soundtrack that would accompany an animated (think Disney) cartoon or other animated short--backing to a sweet, cute dancing number. But I wasn't sure that's what you intended. Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot for that reason. It made me smile.

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Maryland Reel - 08/16/18 02:36 AM
Cool musical score type of thing!! I could see a really playful seen with a couple doing silly things, pranking each other, or maybe a sped up physical comedy scene. Really well done!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Maryland Reel - 08/16/18 11:54 AM
Nice work Tano smile It's got a great groove, and a really playful mood to it. It is certainly thematic. I can imagine it being part of a musical.

Good job and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Maryland Reel - 08/16/18 12:30 PM
Thanks all... As I mentioned, I envisioned this being used as background music for a period-type movie, maybe from the 1800s, where there was a formal ball or dance occurring.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Maryland Reel - 08/16/18 12:36 PM
Sounds like you really had fun working with this piece, Tano! I definitely see what you're saying with envisioning it being in a period piece. Thanks for sharing!
© PG Music Forums