PG Music Home
Posted By: DaveBrooksMusic NEW SONG: "Temporal Glitch" (VI #3) - 08/15/18 03:49 PM
Hi Gang,

Still having fun with my toys. I soon hope to settle down and get serious with this stuff!=D

Here is my newest offering entitled: "Temporal Glitch." This time I tried to play a simple piano piece (please forgive me in advance =D), supported by violins, cellos, and bass viols.

Give it a listen at your leisure...

https://soundcloud.com/davebrooksmusicfactory/temporal-glitch

Thanks again,
Dave
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG: "Temporal Glitch" (VI #3) - 08/16/18 02:42 AM
Dave,

A lot to like about this. The opening is interesting: initially I thought it was applause at the start, then morphed to the sound of waves. Obviously I was wrong, but absent that, for me, that effect runs too long and a slightly too loud. So I'd suggest letting that fade a bit sooner.

Love the cello and strings, wonderful arrangement--but, again find the waves sound effect in the background a bit distracting, and it almost seems the strings run too loud in the need to overshadow that effect.

But, hey, it's just my thoughts, and I really don't know much--so use or lose as you see fit. It's your tune, Dave--go with what feels right!

My nits aside--it's a pretty compelling piece.

All the best,

Deej
Hi Deej56!

Thanks for your input. I like your ideas and think I can re-work the tune to reflect them.

I always like to have a second set of ears to hear my finished product because my ears are so beat up by the time I'm done, I have to wait a few days before I can make any changes.

Thanks again for your help!

All the best,
Dave
Posted By: Tano Music Re: NEW SONG: "Temporal Glitch" (VI #3) - 08/20/18 07:06 PM
Hi Dave..interesting listen! Your high-quality work is make me look forward to your 'post-experimental' phase! Great work!

Couple of notes/questions:
Those "steel-guitar'-like string glissando's were unique..how did you do that? Pitch-bend wheel?

At about 1:10, did I hear the piano(s) go out of phase a bit? Not sure if that was intentional.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: NEW SONG: "Temporal Glitch" (VI #3) - 08/21/18 09:26 AM
Nice piano sound is it you playing it..?.

To me the violins, cellos, sound too loud and menacing a bit off the feel of the rest if that makes sense.

Although I enjoyed my listen, Quick fix and I would be enjoying more thanks.
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: NEW SONG: "Temporal Glitch" (VI #3) - 08/21/18 10:51 AM
Really enjoyed the piano. With the sound of the waves in the beginning, it kind of got me in a George Winston mood, with the seasonal oompositions he has put out. His December remains one of my all time favorites. I must admit I liked the piano moreso than the other instruments that found there way into the piece. For me, they distracted from the soothing nature of the piano. All subjective though. Interesting piece for sure.

Dave
Hi Tano!

Thanks for your input and listen! To answer your question, that steel guitar sound in nothing more than the "tone dial" on Plogue Sfozando's platform. I just used my mouse to get the desired effects.

You are correct about the "1:10" the piano was out of phase with a few of the other tracks. In short if you change the tempo on one, make sure you change all to the same. I guess that's why I named it "Temporal Glitch!!!" =D

Now, Based on the recent comments, I re-worked the track placing the piano up front as voice, and the strings in the back. I also gave it a better ending. there are still a few small things I have to fix but I'll get to it ASAP.

Have at it for another listen and thanks again!!!

Hi Beatmaster!

Thank you for your listen. The piano is me trying to sound like "someone trying to play the piano!" I've already apologized for my lack of talent previously, but what do you expect from a 70 year old with fingers like sticks??? =D

Now, I've listened to your comments and decided to meet you at least half way. I brought the piano up front as voice, and removed and moved some of the string tracks to make more room for the piano. I also gave it a new ending. I'm sure I'll hear something new next week that needs attention, but that why I named it "Temporal Glitch!!!"

Take another listen at your leisure:
All the best Dave

Hi GocartMoz! (Dave)

Thanks for your listen! I'm amazed at how many people liked the piano! I hate it because I can't play it the way I'd like! =D

Any who, I did a re-work and gave you more piano by bringing the piano from the background to the front and made it wider. I also moved the strings to the back and removed some tracks to cut down on redundancy. I also added a new ending that should complete the effort.

I think I made it more interesting to keep one from falling asleep!

Give it another listen at your leisure!

All the best,
Dave

© PG Music Forums