PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Somewhat Diminished - 08/18/18 04:06 PM
There is a thread about songs that have diminished and augmented chords in them. JonD and myself decided to write a song with a lot of Dim7 and Aug chords in it.

BiaB style = Rainbows All-MIDI 70's Synth Pop. I kept the drums and bass as is and deleted everything else.

JonD is playing the B3 via his keyboard controller while I am playing the guitar parts.

Let us know what you think.

Somewhat Diminished
Posted By: dani48 Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/18/18 05:38 PM
You know dear Mario !:))

To me this is absolutely
genial ! Loved it from start
to finish !:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: PeterF Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/18/18 10:06 PM
Mario

An interesting and effective experiment. I enjoyed listening once the groove was established.
Nicely played.

Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/19/18 01:26 AM
Interesting. Well played, mixed and produced, but - for me - it never gathered much direction musically. Even the descending melodic bit didn't seem to give it much motion.

Maybe I just expect to hear circle of fifths progressions. I guess I'm that guy in the saying "you can't please everyone all the time." wink

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/19/18 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
You know dear Mario !:))

To me this is absolutely
genial ! Loved it from start
to finish !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanx so much Dani.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/19/18 05:40 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mario

An interesting and effective experiment. I enjoyed listening once the groove was established.
Nicely played.

Peter

Thanx Peter.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/19/18 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Interesting. Well played, mixed and produced, but - for me - it never gathered much direction musically. Even the descending melodic bit didn't seem to give it much motion.

Maybe I just expect to hear circle of fifths progressions. I guess I'm that guy in the saying "you can't please everyone all the time." wink

Thanks for posting!

No problem. I know that some of my posts are very different from other posts. You respectfully didn't say this sucks. I know that when I post some people may not like it. I have thick enough skin to take it.

Thanx for the constructive criticism.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/19/18 06:30 PM
I found it interesting.

Well played and well mixed.

Liked it.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/19/18 07:11 PM
Hm, interesting indeed. BTW, what drums did you used? They're very good sounding.

Mike B.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/20/18 01:27 PM
The groove is infectious.

Also great playing y'all (as usual) and the mix is spot on...especially when cranked up. smile

Enjoyed it and the cool title!

J&B
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/20/18 03:23 PM
Very different! And very cool.

Love that groove!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/20/18 03:34 PM
Mysterious soundtrack instrumental, something strange is going to happen smile I like the groove, organ and guitar sound great.

Janne
Posted By: ROG Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/20/18 03:41 PM
Nicely done, Mario!

Not Rock & Roll, but very cleverly put together.

It's good to hear stuff like this from time to time, to make us think
about what's possible.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/20/18 06:57 PM
As usual, unique and interesting work to explore the less-travelled roads.
I'm not sure you can create a "crowd pleasing' work that relies so heavily on diminished changes, as you've done...but that isn't the point.

Your exploration reveals lots of different ways that this special chord can be used to advantage..and I think you two gave the 'dim' chords everything you could in this!

Looking forward to what musical curiosities you decide to attack next!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/20/18 07:09 PM
Mario,

That was a very interesting excursion into musical texture! Very inventive. The composing, the mix, the instrumental work was all well done... but then isn't it always!

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard anything quite like this before and you gave me a lot of food for thought!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/20/18 08:57 PM
Mario, this is very creative work and I love it! Great job! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 09:00 AM
Midi Drums sound good, Midi bass sounds good.

Instruments sound Brilliant, I think in a lot of the song postings on this forum.

A lot of folk forget, just how talented the posters are who play and add to their own songs.

Not only do they have to write the piece,Arrange , mix and master it.

They perform as well.

Enjoyed this. Thanks.
Posted By: GocartMoz Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 11:00 AM
Nicely done Mario. I enjoyed this. Thank you for sharing.

Dave
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 01:23 PM
Mario,

I like the way you and JonD play off each other - a couple of guys jamming with undiminished enjoyment of their music, is the feeling I get.
Nice groove!

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I found it interesting.

Well played and well mixed.

Liked it.

Thanx so much for listening and commenting on this little experiment.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:18 PM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hm, interesting indeed. BTW, what drums did you used? They're very good sounding.

Mike B.

Mike, the drums were generated by BiaB with Addictive Drums 2 - preset Funk-Bone Funk. Secret sauce = Waves - CLA drum effects.

I use the CLA effects on all of my drum tracks. I find that they bring them alive. YMMV
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The groove is infectious.

Also great playing y'all (as usual) and the mix is spot on...especially when cranked up. smile

Enjoyed it and the cool title!

J&B

Thanx J&B. I am a little surprised by the number of forum members that like this. I was expecting a lot fewer comments. I am not complaining though.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:20 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very different! And very cool.

Love that groove!

Thanx Dave.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Mysterious soundtrack instrumental, something strange is going to happen smile I like the groove, organ and guitar sound great.

Janne

This was strange. It was a little harder to come up with a lead line with all of those Dim7 and AUG chords. You can blame BiaB for the groove. Thanx for the guitar and B3 comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:24 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Nicely done, Mario!

Not Rock & Roll, but very cleverly put together.

It's good to hear stuff like this from time to time, to make us think
about what's possible.

Cheers, ROG.

Rog, as you well know that with BiaB and some imagination one can come up with just about anything.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Tano Music
As usual, unique and interesting work to explore the less-travelled roads.
I'm not sure you can create a "crowd pleasing' work that relies so heavily on diminished changes, as you've done...but that isn't the point.

Your exploration reveals lots of different ways that this special chord can be used to advantage..and I think you two gave the 'dim' chords everything you could in this!

Looking forward to what musical curiosities you decide to attack next!

Thanx. It was hard to come up with a lead for this one. Sometimes those 'dim' chords were called those 'damn' chords will working on this!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Mario,

That was a very interesting excursion into musical texture! Very inventive. The composing, the mix, the instrumental work was all well done... but then isn't it always!

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard anything quite like this before and you gave me a lot of food for thought!

All the best,
Noel

Well sometimes the mix, composing and instrumental work isn't so well done. As most people I have my ups and downs. As I mentioned with BiaB and a little imagination one can come up with just about anything.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Mario, this is very creative work and I love it! Great job! Thanks, Torrey

Thanx for listening and commenting Torrey.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Midi Drums sound good, Midi bass sounds good.

Instruments sound Brilliant, I think in a lot of the song postings on this forum.

A lot of folk forget, just how talented the posters are who play and add to their own songs.

Not only do they have to write the piece,Arrange , mix and master it.

They perform as well.

Enjoyed this. Thanks.

I'm not necessarily all that talented. I just love to play. Plus sometimes I do have a very warped sense of humor. Thanx for the comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Mario,

I like the way you and JonD play off each other - a couple of guys jamming with undiminished enjoyment of their music, is the feeling I get.
Nice groove!

Robert

Robert, you just gave away our secret; we are just a couple of guys jamming away and yes we both enjoy it.

Thanx for listening and comments.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/21/18 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
... a couple of guys jamming with undiminished enjoyment of their music, is the feeling I get.

In this case, wouldn't that be a diminished enjoyment of music? wink
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/23/18 09:34 PM
Very cool project!! Really interesting idea to play with. I love diminished chords and include them quite often in my songs. Enjoyed this Mario!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/26/18 01:50 AM
Hello, Mario

Very unique chord progression!
I feel a thrill because I do not know where you will take me.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Skyline Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/26/18 07:11 AM
Nice one Mario. When I click to play your latest song it never fails to take me by surprise! This one is intriguing and a great exploration of the dusty reaches! Off to listen again; I'm sure I missed a lot first time around.

John
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/26/18 07:40 AM
Well, you and Jon certainly did not diminish the quality of the song by stripping out BIAB Style parts. The originality of each of your parts certainly augmented to the overall arrangement and performance. Enjoyed this a lot.

The opening bars reminded me a bit of Player's "Baby Come Back"
Posted By: rsdean Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/26/18 12:43 PM
Mario,

Love this! The groove is so cool and the mix sounds live... Great job!

Bob
Posted By: gibson Re: Somewhat Diminished - 08/27/18 11:37 AM
Mario,
Interesting tune.
Always wonder how you and JonD get going with your tunes, do you jam as if live or get the rhythm going and then you do your bits? cool

Whatever ... an interesting piece. I like it a lot as I like dim and aug chords myself.

Alyn
© PG Music Forums