PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Blow Baby Blow - 09/06/18 05:45 AM
Blow Baby Blow

Another rock/funk piece (fourth one) I put together about a year and a half ago for the ladies' exercise group in our area. I haven't been able to find the style and tracks. I remember one horn track was midi and the other two were paired RTs. I also remember the style name had "JB" somewhere in it. There's also a little influence from Candy Dulfer's version of "Pick Up The Pieces". It's loud and uptempo for a vigorous workout. The ladies seem to have liked it.

I also used it as somewhat of a tribute to the great musicians who backed James Brown.

In a couple of places, it's a bit more quiet than in most of the song. I had planned to insert a few words in those places then decided against it but didn't remix it as such. Hope you might enjoy it some.

(I've been without Internet most of the past five days, so haven't been around very much.)
Posted By: rayc Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/06/18 06:30 AM
Cool - reminds me of side B of Thinking about Little Willy Johns & a few nice things...
The B side is a bundle of mid period Brown tracks without vocal or melody. The midi horn track is probably the one that sounds a little synthy on occasion. A cool funk rnb workout nevertheless.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/06/18 10:22 AM
Nice work on this one! Love the groove on this, and the RealTrack arrangement is superb. It flows remarkably well, and had my toe tapping within instants. I can imagine this sounding unreal in a live setting.

Great job and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/06/18 10:43 AM
This is very cool. Was waiting for Telle Savallas to pop on the screen. Loved it Alan..
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/06/18 05:51 PM
Nice to see you around again! This was a really nice song. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: furry Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/06/18 06:30 PM
GREAT track. Oozes quality from start to finish
Posted By: rsdean Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/08/18 09:36 AM
Alan,

I love the tight feel of this one... Great, great track selection.

Loved it all!

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/08/18 07:59 PM
Alan,

This is a superb listen! Every aspect of the music and its production sits really well within the arrangement. The notes and chord changes flow with precision and intent and lead the listener along on a really fine music journey.

When I read that you created this for an exercise group, the image of pounds just flying off came to mind! It's a very energetic composition!

Please say 'Hello' to Di from me.

I wish you both well,
Noel
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/08/18 08:06 PM
Hi Al-David, Great work on this! Fantastic choice of instrumentation. I really enjoyed the energy this gives out. Very upbeat and fun to listen to. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 03:00 PM
Great funky stuff. Those horns have nice live feel.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 04:39 PM
For somebody that, as I recall, cut his teeth on country you have got this funk thing down!!! As in James Brown get down!

Man, that is cookin' -- great work. As I've said before talent + BiaB = some amazing productions.

Superb!

J&B
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:07 PM
Alan, you always do such a great job putting the songs together using what is available in this program! This track rocks and sounds good all the way around! A great listen! Thanks, T
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:10 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool - reminds me of side B of Thinking about Little Willy Johns & a few nice things...
The B side is a bundle of mid period Brown tracks without vocal or melody. The midi horn track is probably the one that sounds a little synthy on occasion. A cool funk rnb workout nevertheless.

Thank you, Ray. And you're right about the midi track. I was a bit surprised at how decent it was, though. I felt it blended pretty good. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks again.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nice work on this one! Love the groove on this, and the RealTrack arrangement is superb. It flows remarkably well, and had my toe tapping within instants. I can imagine this sounding unreal in a live setting.

Great job and thanks for sharing smile

Hi Deryk,

Always a pleasure to hear from you and the other PG Music folks. Glad it works for. And I agree - this would have even more "jump" to it in a live setting. Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is very cool. Was waiting for Telle Savallas to pop on the screen. Loved it Alan..

Hey Scott,

If this is good enough to bring back Telle Savallas, that would make my day, my week, my year! Delighted you liked it. Thanks for letting me know.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
Nice to see you around again! This was a really nice song. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Ember ...

Nice to be around again! My wife's medical needs have been the primary culprit for my off and on absences. very happy you liked it! Many thanks!

ALan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:15 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
GREAT track. Oozes quality from start to finish

Hi Graham,

Why, thank you so much! I like "oozing" quality! I saw you poasted a new one a few days ago. Will be over to listen tonight. See ya then. And thanks so miuch for the kind words.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

I love the tight feel of this one... Great, great track selection.

Loved it all!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much. I'm a big fan of soul-funk. I'm delighted it came out okay. Many thanks!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Alan,

This is a superb listen! Every aspect of the music and its production sits really well within the arrangement. The notes and chord changes flow with precision and intent and lead the listener along on a really fine music journey.

When I read that you created this for an exercise group, the image of pounds just flying off came to mind! It's a very energetic composition!

Please say 'Hello' to Di from me.

I wish you both well,
Noel

Hi Noel.

You are always so kind and I appreciate that very much. I don't work nearly as hard on my music as you do, but I have fun doing the basic stuff I know how to do.

I passed your greeting on to Di and she blew you a kiss - gonna have to watch that girl! We both enjoy your music and your visits so much. Wishing you the very best and more thanks.

Alan & Di
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Al-David, Great work on this! Fantastic choice of instrumentation. I really enjoyed the energy this gives out. Very upbeat and fun to listen to. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Joe! (That was the title to a Carl Smith Country song about 1953)

Thank you very much. I did my best to give some life & energy for the girls. I'm delighted to hear it comes across as such. Many thanks for the very kind words.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Great funky stuff. Those horns have nice live feel.

Janne

Janne,

Thank you very much. I appreciate the support and very nice comments. Hope all is well in Finland.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/09/18 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
For somebody that, as I recall, cut his teeth on country you have got this funk thing down!!! As in James Brown get down!

Man, that is cookin' -- great work. As I've said before talent + BiaB = some amazing productions.

Superb!

J&B

Howdy Folks!

And yes, you remember correctly. I played nothing but country for the first 25 - 30 years of my music making - about 50 years total. I grew up playing Hank Williams, Webb Pierce, Wynn Stewart, Eddy Arnold, Faron Young, Billy Walker - then Merle, Buck, Ray Price, and the like.

But I always listened to Lou Ralls, Stevie Wonder, The Commodores, Dizzy Gillespe, Lionel Hampton, george Shearing and performers of that ilk when I was at home. Always liked James Brown - Chuck Berry not so much.

Anyway ... I truly appreciate your very kind and supportive comments. I'll be faxing you a big bunch of 'thank yous' and a cup of my homemade chili. Sorry if it gums up the fax machine! Best to you both.

Alan
Posted By: tommyad Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/10/18 09:30 AM
Alan, super energetic funk/soul cut. Perfect for the workout crowd. The horns sound great. This is a fine example of what this program can do when manipulated by expert hands. Well done, Tom
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/10/18 02:30 PM
Cool tune...

I saw a documentary on James Brown.... seems he was quite the demanding task master with his bands. Precision and perfection were the rules of the day. In fact, in one of his live show videos, you can hear him yell "Got Cha" to the drummer who missed a syncopated beat. He charged a fine for such infractions of his rules.

Your tune was funky. All it was lacking was the Godfather himself yelling "Hit me"... "Owwwww"... "Get it baby"
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/10/18 08:32 PM
First Janne's Blow Me in the Wind, and now Blow Baby Blow.....my mind's blown!! This is a great sounding track..really got that JB vibe! Amazing what BIAB can do, and what you can do with it Alan!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 04:01 AM
Hello, Alan

Very cool old Motown soul sound!
Really nice horn section!
The bass and drums also make a very good taste of Motown.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 11:25 AM
Nice!

Certainly has that James Brown vibe happening, love the groove and arrangement.

Good stuff, Alan!
Posted By: cliftond Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 12:30 PM
Kick [*****] sounds, love it guys!!!!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 03:44 PM
Alan,

This is really impressive! Super job with the horns.

It's beggin' for some sceamin' vocals!

Super cool.

fj
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 04:12 PM

This sounds really great all. Let me know if you find that style!!!

smile

Was it JB_Brass an all midi style to which you added real tracks??

It is right below JBrown which may be a tip-off.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Alan, you always do such a great job putting the songs together using what is available in this program! This track rocks and sounds good all the way around! A great listen! Thanks, T

Thanks a bunch, Torrey. Most grateful for your kind comments.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:20 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Alan, super energetic funk/soul cut. Perfect for the workout crowd. The horns sound great. This is a fine example of what this program can do when manipulated by expert hands. Well done, Tom

Hi Tom,

You are very kind. I sincerely appreciate the very nice comments.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Cool tune...

I saw a documentary on James Brown.... seems he was quite the demanding task master with his bands. Precision and perfection were the rules of the day. In fact, in one of his live show videos, you can hear him yell "Got Cha" to the drummer who missed a syncopated beat. He charged a fine for such infractions of his rules.

Your tune was funky. All it was lacking was the Godfather himself yelling "Hit me"... "Owwwww"... "Get it baby"

hey herb!

many thanks, my friend. And yeah, I've heard the same things about JB. he considered himself the ultimate entertainer, not just a singer. You probably know, but if you don't here's a bridge in Steamboat Springs, CO named after him (I used to live in Denver). It's the James Brown Soul Center of the Universe Bridge.

Man, if I could song 1/10 as good as him, I'd put some screaming lyrics to this. I can barely sing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" without tomatoes headed my way! But I thought the same thing about getting someone to put a vocal on it. Don't know anyone who can do it, though.

Many thanks!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
First Janne's Blow Me in the Wind, and now Blow Baby Blow.....my mind's blown!! This is a great sounding track..really got that JB vibe! Amazing what BIAB can do, and what you can do with it Alan!! Take care. Greg

Well Greg,

The Answer is still Blowing In The Wind! Glad you liked it! It originally started out as just a workout tune with a basic funky bed. But it morphed into this pretty quickly.

Thanks so much! Best to you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Alan

Very cool old Motown soul sound!
Really nice horn section!
The bass and drums also make a very good taste of Motown.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you very much, Shigeki. The MoTown sound was my goal. I'm glad to hear it came out that way. Thank you so much.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:30 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice!

Certainly has that James Brown vibe happening, love the groove and arrangement.

Good stuff, Alan!

Thanks a bunch, Dave! Glad ya liked it! Thanks for letting me know.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:31 PM
Originally Posted By: cliftond
Kick [*****] sounds, love it guys!!!!

Hey Cliff,

Thank ya so much. Glad to hear it's kicking a little bootie! Appreciate the listen and comments!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

This is really impressive! Super job with the horns.

It's beggin' for some sceamin' vocals!

Super cool.

fj

Thank ya, sir! When ya ready to do those screaming vocals??!! My vocal cords just went into hiding at the mere thought. As you know, merely humming off-key is a major accomplishment for me. But I sure do appreciate those very nice words - thank you very much!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Blow Baby Blow - 09/14/18 06:39 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

This sounds really great all. Let me know if you find that style!!!

smile

Was it JB_Brass an all midi style to which you added real tracks??

It is right below JBrown which may be a tip-off.

David,

Thanks for the nice words. And yes, it's the JB_Brass style. I remember I substituted real tracks for all but the bass and the midi horn tracks. I added a paired set of BIAB horns. if you use the use the PG Dynamics plug-ins on the base and drums, it really brings them to life.

Thanks again and hope that additional info helps. best to you. be safe in the storm!!!!

Alan

PS: Di says "Hi David!"
© PG Music Forums