PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 10:41 AM
Vinnie's Vamp

(Instrumental)

I heard this kind of eighth-note walking bass in an old mystery movie, and that was the basis for this track. Brass and saxes would sound alot more realistic if I had a 'big band' type of sample package, like Garritan, which I don't!

I spent alot of time 'wrestling' with RB on this one, after I got it all done, trying to render it to a WAV file. My primary sound source, SampleTank3, was continually 'late' in starting...to solve it, I had to copy in 4 'throw-away' bars at the beginning to give ST3 enough time to 'start', otherwise I wound up with a bar or two without those midi notes sounding...anyone else ever have this problem?

Thanks in advance for checking this out!
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 11:00 AM
Sweet jazz/lounge piece. I like the trade-offs. The basic backing was sparse and cool-sounding. My only beef is the mix. It's a bit uneven, to my ears.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 11:11 AM
Thanks Tangmo...it's always good to have another pair of ears to hear where improvements can be made..thanks for the feedback!
Posted By: Marty Sorensen Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 12:20 PM
Musically, it's wonderful.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 12:56 PM
Nice work Tano smile The walking bass worked perfectly here. I thought the progressions were nice, and I like the minimalist approach to your backing track selection. It works very well.

Great job, and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: gruverider Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 06:16 PM
Wow! I really like this. Great composition. Such a cool vibe.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 06:31 PM
Marty, Deryk, gruverider...thanks for listening in!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 07:50 PM
I absolutely loved listening to this piece of music! It reminded me of movies like "The Pink Panther" or "The Party". It got a bit of 1960-movies-feeling to it which is very nice. :-)
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/18/18 07:53 PM
The composition is cool - the gradual build kept my attention and your use of the various solo instruments is creative ( especially for this non-midi guy).
Its not my genre, but I did think the walking bass could come forward in the mix.

Robert
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/19/18 10:48 AM
A really nice piece. Truly keeps the ear interested start to finish. A lot of nice surprises with instruments in and out.

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/20/18 01:40 PM
Will, Robert, Floyd...thanks for listening..I think there's still a little work to be done on it, but glad you enjoyed it!
Posted By: rayc Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/21/18 03:42 AM
Sounds like a theme for a Pink Panther reboot.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/21/18 10:20 AM
1960-movies-feeling

Totally agree with the comment above, by no means that was the best era for movie scores. Enjoyed.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/21/18 12:50 PM
Ray and beatmaster..thanks for listening..your comments about Pink Panther are probably right-on...I would say this track is "Mancini" inspired.
Posted By: animarorecords Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/22/18 03:22 AM
Hello, Tom

As others said, this is Henry Mancini.
Horns are extremely good.
I rememberd that I had studied the arrangement with Henry Mancini's "Sounds and Scores" at Yamaha Music School when I was young.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/22/18 05:12 PM
Very cool...and classy.

Yep, it definitely has that 60's film theme feel to it.

A Bud as a upright bass walker (back in the day) has gotta love it!

Most enjoyable.

J&B
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/24/18 11:45 AM

Sounds great man. Really smooth.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/24/18 11:50 AM
Shigeki, J&B, David..thanks for listening and commenting!
Posted By: EMG Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/25/18 01:24 AM
Great, original.
Liked a lot.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/25/18 08:11 AM
Really evocative, interesting and clever.
An excellent musical journey.

Peter
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/25/18 10:24 AM
Thanks EMG and Peter!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/25/18 07:35 PM
A 1960's mystery, spy or TV theme. This is extremely well done. You had me hooked from the first measure!

Great song!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/25/18 08:21 PM
Tom,

I agree with the others who said this would sit really comfortably in a 60s movie or TV show. Your composing and arranging are excellent and very creative! You really know your stuff.

I really liked how your used the stereo field to introduce ear-candy. You had me sitting here wondering what I was going to hear next and where it would come from!

This was a very enjoyable musical journey.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Tano Music Re: Vinnie's Vamp - 09/25/18 09:35 PM
Mario/Noel...thanks for the feedback. I'm not entirely happy with the arrangement; I think it needs a more logical movement from section to section--in places it just seems random and unconnected, and I'm going to work on that to improve it. Thanks again!
© PG Music Forums