PG Music Home
Posted By: RandallSmith Ripples - 09/18/18 03:37 PM
RIPPLES

https://soundcloud.com/randall-smith-919632681/ripples-1

Ballad

Any comments on the composition, and solo effort and tone would be much appreciated.
Randall Smith

All background instruments via BIAB
_SAVVY.STY with no added instruments
Audio track recording via miked Roland JC40 amp
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Benedetto A6 pickups
Posted By: gruverider Re: Ripples - 09/18/18 06:21 PM
Good tone on the guitar. The melody is patient and cool.

much enjoyed!
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Ripples - 09/18/18 08:15 PM
Hi RandallSmith,

I hope you take this kindly as I am new to this forum and don't know you at all.

I played jazz guitar for many years as well and in the beginning I played too many and way too long solos in my band. The problem with a long, long solo is that the listener loose interest in what is going on and starts to get impatiently waiting for something else to happen. So pauses is a very good idea when you are playing solos, because pauses creates tension (the listener will be looking forward to what is going to happen next).

I got a little bored after maybe 3 or 4 minutes listening to your track, but I think you can improve it a lot if you put a few "pauses" in... so maybe 4 or 8 bars without solos will make one looking forward to the next part of the soloing.

I really hope you understand what I mean and that I am not offending you by writing this.

Kind regards,
Will
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Ripples - 09/18/18 08:26 PM
Hi Randall and welcome to this community! I enjoyed your tune and like your jazzy tone! The song itself has some beautiful moving chord changes and melody that I really like! I look forward to hearing more of your compositions! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: RandallSmith Re: Ripples - 09/18/18 08:44 PM
Will: Thanks for your comments. I was "woodshedding" over the changes. I'll shorten up the solos for outputting to SoundCloud. I know exactly what you mean - your input is much appreciated. Randall
Posted By: Scott C Re: Ripples - 09/19/18 07:51 AM
Another very nice tune. Love the sound of your guitar. Excellent playing.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Ripples - 09/19/18 12:30 PM
Really nice work on this one smile Reminds me a lot of certain tunes by Bob James. Love the groove, and the keys on this flow beautifully. Very peaceful, and very easy on the ears.

Great job - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: Ripples - 09/19/18 08:56 PM
Well done Randall! Fantastic choice of instrumentation. The arrangement is wonderful to the ears and the mix sounds well polished too. Really dig the guitar too it has a very pleasing tone. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: RandallSmith Re: Ripples - 09/20/18 12:41 AM
Thanks for your support for a newbie. Much appreciated. Randall
© PG Music Forums