PG Music Home
Posted By: Tano Music "L'il Green Thing" - 10/10/18 08:54 PM
This is kind of a big jazz band instrumental:
[Link no longer valid]

The primary musical theme here is something that might have been the very first composition idea I had, lo so many years ago. To bring it to life, I used various styles, midi elements, and RT's:
Drums = JazzFunkMovin, Metronome Loop Funk Rock, BossaRockPerc, BossaBrushes
465 Acoustic Bass, 2190 E Piano, 2525 ElecGuitarWah, 723 Soprano Sax, 2142 Bari Sax

Also: Thanks to the forum help on creating a drum solo!

Posted By: rayc Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/10/18 09:46 PM
That's a really nice backing you've built.
The 1st set of horns or whatever they are that burst into the face of this listener sound very unrealistic - mainly the hectic attack and release.
The "drum solo" is a little odd - probably the kick placement more than anything else.
The rest of the track sounds pretty cool and organic though.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/10/18 10:58 PM
Ray… I agree with both of your observations, and I’m going to work on improving in those areas. Thanks for listening.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 10:39 AM
Wow - really nice job Tano smile Definitely a unique listen, but despite it being a little odd, it flows really well. It really nicely blends a few genres, and does so seemingly effortlessly. I really enjoyed it actually!

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 12:08 PM
Really different and engaging. The build to the horns is effective and they are indeed startling when they come in...but then the tension is released afterwards. This is very different from our typical genres but to our unpracticed ears it sounds very cool...as in different is good!! We listened through three consecutive times to get into it...and we did smile

Kudos on the composition and production.

J&B
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 12:19 PM
Deryk and J&B..thanks for listening and your feedback...I wish had more realistic brass samples, with some high screaming trumpets, but this at least gets my idea across!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 12:38 PM
Your music is always interesting. You take BIAB to places that others don't.

And this is another good offering. The drum solos are a cool addition. I thought the brass worked much of the time. You "kept me listening" throughout.

Originally Posted By: Tano Music
...I wish had more realistic brass samples, with some high screaming trumpets, but this at least gets my idea across!

There is a nice brass sample library that you can download for free from New York Brass. I used them on a song called "Shadow Of Her Man" (you can find it in my list of songs in interested). Here is a link (to the free samples):
http://www.newyorkbrass.com/download-free-brass-samples.html
Posted By: Crossroads Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 01:08 PM
That's a cool thing, Tano. Although (or rather just because) it's so different from practically any other song I know, it kind of 'sucked me in'. Very nice brass work - if you plan using a horn section in the future, I would recommend the Session Horns by Native Instruments. They're comparatively cheap but offer pretty good brass and woodwind sounds .

A fine song!

Take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 03:16 PM
Floyd, thanks for the tip on the sample library, I'm going to get it! And thanks for taking a listen...likewise Stefan..I really appreciate your comments and support!!
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 03:19 PM
BTW..the title "L'il Green Thing"...my 4-year old, garbage-truck-loving grandson grabbed me by the hand recently, pointed way down the street on trash day and said "See that L'il Green Thing, way down dere?", which I couldn't see at all. Of course, it was the far-off, approaching trash collection truck! Now it's a private joke between us, and the perfect title for this instrumental piece!
Posted By: MarioD Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 05:13 PM
I like this. Great work on the instrumentation here. I found nothing wrong with the drum solo. In fact it reminded me of Gene Krupa.

I have found that one of the best screaming trumpet is from Realitone:

https://realitone.com/screaming-trumpet/

It is my go to for screaming trumpets.
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/11/18 09:10 PM
Much appreciated Mario...thanks for the tip on the trumpet samples!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/14/18 03:49 AM
Hello, Tom

Wonderful big band arrangement!
For a moment, I thought as if Richard Strauss's "Also spruce Zarathustra" would start.
The horn riff is very nice.
As Mario says, it will be nicer if the tones of the brass section are richer a little bit.
I usually use EastWest Goliath for the jazz brass section. The tones are very natural.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: dani48 Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/14/18 05:05 PM
Hi, Tom !:))

Absolutely interesting piece this !
got my attention from start to
finish ! I agree with Floyd in that
you are one of the masters of
unexpected gems on the forum !!!:))

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Tano Music Re: "L'il Green Thing" - 10/14/18 09:00 PM
Shigeki and Dani...thanks for taking a listen, and I really appreciate your comments and suggestions!
© PG Music Forums