PG Music Home
Posted By: funkycornwall What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 12:33 PM
https://soundcloud.com/tonycliffsongs/what-i-meant-to-say

Another album track from 'Waiting in the Wings'. This was a little acoustic guitar idea I had which I sent over to my collaborator Donna (Evans) and she came back with a great lyric which suited the overall mood. It's a very simple tune with not too much backing. The BIAB settings were:

Style is _NOVEL.STY (Novel Singer-Songwriter)
RealTracks in style: ~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2933:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking SongwriterFolkSlapQuinn Ev 120
RealDrums in style: MultiRD [Multi]

The main guitar was me playing my acoustic and I made my own bass using Trilian. I played in some piano using Ivory II and added a bit of Shimmer Shake Strike in the chorus. I EQd the RealDrums to reduce a particular frequency in the congas which was too boomy.
Posted By: Scott C Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 01:39 PM
The song has a great feel to it. Excellent lyric. Super vocal. Well done
Posted By: rayc Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 06:56 PM
Nice song.
Your guitar part is way too loud against the backing and the other side of the stereo image except when the piano fills happen.
It makes, for me, the song hard to listen to.
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 06:56 PM
Thanks Scott
Posted By: Noel96 Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 06:59 PM
Tony,

I really enjoyed listening to this. The calm, laid-back folk-rock sound reminded me of Bobby Goldsboro's songs. You have a flair for creating and presenting good music. This was a treat and a terrific way for me to start Sunday morning here in Australia.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: beatmaster Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 07:56 PM
Nice lyrics and melody, smooth and silky sound to it all.
well done.
Posted By: funkycornwall Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 08:15 PM
Thanks Beatmaster

Appreciate Rayc’s comments about the guitar part being way too loud but maybe my ears are set up differently. I mixed it pretty carefully and it sounded ok to me.

Fine to have an honest view though. Your comment made me listen back again to it but to my ears the guitar part sounds balanced against everything else.
Posted By: Joe -PG Music Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 09:13 PM
Hello funkycornwall, this is excellent! Fantastic selection of instruments here and a solid key signature choice too. The guitar sure howls and wonderful lyrics too. Well done!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/13/18 09:40 PM
Nice tune Tony. Good playing and vocals.

Mike B.
Posted By: jannesan Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/14/18 03:26 AM
Very nice pop song with lovely simple lyrics, interesting chords and good guitar playing. Reminds me of some Brit pop artists of the 80's.

Janne
Posted By: animarorecords Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/14/18 03:32 AM
Hello, Tony

Very nice song with pleasant vocal!
I felt Donovan and Michael Franks in this tune.
Really wonderful sparse arrangement!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/14/18 10:56 PM
Another nice tune!! Some cool stuff here. To me, the mix sounds live but there is a little bit of contrast between the spaces for the different parts. Overall, a great effort!! Enjoyed! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/15/18 10:39 AM
Nice work on this one smile A nice, relaxing listen. The tune is really pretty and easy on the ears, and both your guitar playing and your vocals are top notch here. You left a lot of breathing room hear, and I like that it doesn't sound crowded.

Nothing I'd change here personally - thanks for sharing!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/15/18 10:50 AM
A very nice song. Nicely sung and a pleasant production.

Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/15/18 11:16 AM
This song was the first one where Tony did a rough draft of the music sent it to me and then I wrote the lyrics from the inspiration of the music. It was a little more challenging to me since I usually do lyrics first, but I found out I could do it. Really like how it turned out with the music. Yeah!!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/15/18 01:58 PM
Like Greg says it has a live sound to it.

And a live, open, airy mix is something we always like...along with the vocal, the write, the cool changes and the guitar playing!

Well done you two!

J&B
Posted By: Belladonna Re: What I Meant to Say - 10/16/18 01:15 AM
Thanks everyone from Tony & I for your comments.
© PG Music Forums