PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 12:17 AM
The Silence Gets Louder

It's been a rough, hectic 5 weeks. Same reason - Di's health. She's somewhat stabilized now but bed-bound.

This is a bit unusual vocal style for me - but as always, the vocal is suspect. On the chorus I've employed my attempt with falsetto. I wrote the lyric in 1996 but never found suitable music for the words. I'm not sure this is where it will end up; but it's where I have at the moment. Open to opinions and suggestions.

One specific question: Should the drums be louder? I think so but interested in hearing your thoughts.

File: THE SILENCE GETS LOUDER
Key=Gm , Tempo 65, Length (m:s)=4:03

Style is _STALWRT.STY (Stalwart Mod Vocal Country Solo)

DrumsCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded
SoloistCustom Synth is Synth/Plugin Loaded

RealTracks in style: 1036:Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1003:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm ClassicRockPicking Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1037:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~688:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 2952:Strings, Rhythm JazzBalladPads Sw 060
RealDrums [in Song:ModernPopBallad16ths^03-a:SideStick, Kick, b:Open hat, Sync-kick

The Silence Gets Louder
© March 1996, Alan D. David, BMI All Rights Reserved

(v1)
Two aching hearts so far apart
Once filled with the joy of living
Drifting slowly day by day
To the wrong side of forgiving

(v2)
We don't speak, we don't hear
We're like shadows on the wall
Could it be, that possibly
We’ve already said it all

(Chorus)
And the silence gets louder
Each day
As the love that we had
Slips away
I know we can’t go on
Living this way
As the silence gets louder
Each day

(v3)
Talk to me … say anything
I can’t take this silent pain
Let’s find a way to talk this through
No matter who's to blame

Here's a 4th verse that I originally wrote in the lyric. I left it out here due to song length I didn't want to go much beyond four minutes.

(v4)
We have to find the words
There’s no hope if we don’t try
With everything to be said
I don’t want to say goodbye
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 12:35 AM
Very nice Alan! Loved the chorus....your harmony sounds great to me! As to the drums, I listened through headphones and they sound like they are about right in the mix to me. The may be deeper in the mix through larger speakers though. I really liked the outro! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 04:31 AM
Thanks, Torrey. I appreciate the kindness and the feedback on the drums. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Jim Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 07:11 AM
A nice write. Alan...
I really like your hook... the silence gets louder
I also think you should somehow try to fit in that final verse...
It has a good ring to it...
To me the drums sit very well in the tune...
I enjoyed listening to your song!
Posted By: ROG Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 10:26 AM
HI Alan,

Sorry to hear times are still difficult and just to say are thoughts are with you.

As for the track, loved the whole thing from start to finish.

So atmospheric, SO emotive, so beautifully done. What more could I say?

I need to listen to that again right now.

Cheers, ROG.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 04:08 PM
Wow - this was stunning Alan. Absolutely beautiful and heart-wrenching. Your vocals suit the feeling perfectly and the falsetto on the chorus took it to the next level. Sorry to hear about the tough times - I speak for us all when I say we hope Di's health improves.

Thanks for sharing this tune with us smile
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 06:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
A nice write. Alan...
I really like your hook... the silence gets louder
I also think you should somehow try to fit in that final verse...
It has a good ring to it...
To me the drums sit very well in the tune...
I enjoyed listening to your song!

Hello Jim ...

Hope your day is going well. Many thanks for the kind words. Regarding the 4th verse: I think I'll soon redo the song and bump the temp about 5 or 6 bpm and add that verse. Thanks for the suggestion to add it. I appreciate your kind comments and encouragement.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
HI Alan,

Sorry to hear times are still difficult and just to say are thoughts are with you.

As for the track, loved the whole thing from start to finish.

So atmospheric, SO emotive, so beautifully done. What more could I say?

I need to listen to that again right now.

Cheers, ROG.

Hi ROG!

Apparemment vous parlez le français couramment. J'ai eu l'habitude de le parler assez bon, mais ai oublié tant!

Thank you so much for the very nice compliments. As I told Jim, I think I'll bump the tempo 5 or 6 bpm and add the 4th verse. At the current tempo, I think it drags just a bit. Will probably repost this in a week or two.

Thanks again for the kind words about the song and Di. She's feeling better to day than she has in quite a while.

Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Wow - this was stunning Alan. Absolutely beautiful and heart-wrenching. Your vocals suit the feeling perfectly and the falsetto on the chorus took it to the next level. Sorry to hear about the tough times - I speak for us all when I say we hope Di's health improves.

Thanks for sharing this tune with us smile

Hi Deryk ...

Thank you very much. I appreciate your very nice comments and wishes for DI's improvement. She's feeling pretty good today. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 09:39 PM
Lovely tune Alan. I think the drums sound great. Lovely vocal and lyric. Guitar sound great. Harmonies were beautiful..
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/24/19 10:14 PM
Alan,
it is always difficult when close people are not feeling well, but it is good to have you back.
Very nice tune you created with resurrected lyrics! Gave me an idea to look at my older things that never got recorded (Thank you for inspiration!)

Whole structure of song is very solid and harmonies are beautiful. I liked solo guitar. Choruses are very strong!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: 44kfl Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/25/19 12:28 PM
So good to hear from you

I hope you are well and Di is better

I was thinking about you guys, I just spent a week in the hospital

any way, I hear the drums just fine

I love the write, it's the kind I'm often drawn to, the failing relationships

a good solid write, emotional, minor chords tastefully placed

I really enjoyed the listen, a fine song

Kenny
Posted By: tommyad Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/25/19 04:45 PM
Alan, A beautifully written, Produced and performed song. I like the build at the beginning. I also like some of the chord choices. This is a great listen. Say hello to Di and let her know we're thinking of her, Tom
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/25/19 04:48 PM
Very touching lyrics and nice melancholy chords and melody. Your sentimental vocals fit excellently.

If I listen to this on low volume, sounds like other instruments are pushing drums down a little, but on normal volume there is no such problem, so maybe it's just my ears smile

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/25/19 06:11 PM
Alan,

A good write - developed well as the song progressed.

Well sung, well produced, well mixed. As for the drums... the stick sections sounded good, the snare sections sound "back a bit" - it might be a reverb thing (as opposed to a volume thing), but it is only slight - and seems to suit most ears here.

BEST to Di (and you, too).

fj
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/25/19 09:17 PM
Your falsetto sounds fine. Drums sound all right, but I wouldn't make them any quieter. the song evokes a very mellow mood. The guitar soloist fits in nicely.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/26/19 01:01 PM
We like what Kenny said, "a good solid write, emotional, minor chords tastefully placed..."

Add to that the production including the harmonies and the product is a well done, albeit sad, song. As Deryk said "heart wrenching."

GREAT title!

It's easy to write a song like this w/o it getting to the point of being overly angst ridden...but you hit the perfect spot with it.

Well done!

J&B

As always our best thoughts to y'all...
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/28/19 08:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely tune Alan. I think the drums sound great. Lovely vocal and lyric. Guitar sound great. Harmonies were beautiful..

Thank you, Scott. Glad you liked it. Wishing you the best ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/28/19 08:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Alan,
it is always difficult when close people are not feeling well, but it is good to have you back.
Very nice tune you created with resurrected lyrics! Gave me an idea to look at my older things that never got recorded (Thank you for inspiration!)

Whole structure of song is very solid and harmonies are beautiful. I liked solo guitar. Choruses are very strong!

Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Misha ...

Thanks so much! I appreciate all those nice comments! best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/28/19 08:09 AM
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
So good to hear from you

I hope you are well and Di is better

I was thinking about you guys, I just spent a week in the hospital

any way, I hear the drums just fine

I love the write, it's the kind I'm often drawn to, the failing relationships

a good solid write, emotional, minor chords tastefully placed

I really enjoyed the listen, a fine song

Kenny

Hi Kenny ...

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Sorry to hear about you being not well. Hope all is well now.

And I appreciate the kind words on the song. I'm gonna redo it soon. I'm gonna bump up the temp 5 or 6 bpm and include the 4th verse.

Take care, my friend.

Alan
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 02/28/19 08:28 AM
Good to see you back, Alan! I was just thinking about you guys the other day and wondering how you were making out.

Beautiful song! Nice vocals, especially the harmonies. Liked the solo guitar, and the drums sound good through the studio monitors.

Best to you guys, happy to hear that Di is a little better.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/01/19 05:46 PM
Pretty song Alan!! Some really nice lyrics, and the perfect band. I particularly love this:

Drifting slowly day by day
To the wrong side of forgiving

Very, very nice!

I'm guessing that's Brent on guitar? Another really nice tune Alan!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/01/19 11:05 PM
Alan

Lovely song - nicely produced, enjoyed the vocals, and the drums sounded fine.
Hope Di is feeling better.
Really nice work.

Peter
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/03/19 02:30 AM
Alan,

So good to hear from you!
Although it is certainly different from your usual style, it is a very good song.
I agree with Janne.
Very touching lyrics and nice melancholy chords and melody. Your sentimental vocals fit excellently.
In my case, it is very common not to be able to write lyrics for my own songs for years, but the contrary is not very experienced because I normally attach songs to others' lyrics.
GREAT title as Janice & Bud said!
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Incidentally, I just spent 3 weeks in the hospital in January.
BEST to Di and you.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: furry Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/03/19 05:34 AM
Oh Al, this is so moving, I had a lump in my throat listening. Really beautiful lyrics and well put together.
Take care old friend and god bless both of you
Posted By: rayc Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/03/19 06:26 AM
Sweet song.
Drum level seems fine but I'd be inclined to remove some of the click from the kick so it suits the style better.
Your vocal is fine and I do wish you'd included V4.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/05/19 02:10 PM
Hi Alan,

I'm happy to read that Di is out of the hospital and the situation is - at least slightly - better than before.

I'm a bit late to the party, but we had severe health problems here, too: Maha was in hospital for almost 5 weeks. But now that she's home and much better I have to keep up to listening to all those new songs.

Well, that was quite a bit of time between writing the lyrics and finding the right music to it, but it really paid off: It fits like a glove. Like all of your songs this one, too, is a very fine composition, superbly arranged and, yes, sung with the exact feeling the song desires.

Maha liked it very much, too.

Our best regards to Di and you, take care,

Stefan
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/05/19 11:42 PM
A real emotional gut grabber. I hope Di is getting better.
Posted By: Riverbear Re: The Silence Gets Louder - 03/13/19 10:27 AM
This is the first time I have ever been here. I didn't know this place existed. So, after listening... I like the song and on my Mac air, the drums sounded about right. When I do my music, I load the mix on an ipod and take out to my truck. I have found nothing in the world is better than listening o music where I usually do. I like what you have here.. I usually post at N1m and Drooble and Reverbnation... Soundcloud to a small degree. Keep it up!
© PG Music Forums