PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Shifting Seasons - 09/06/19 09:26 PM
Hi Folks. 
Here is my recent tune. There is a belief that a person has a deep connection to a particular season - the one he or she was born into. My favorite is fall :) I tried to make this tune less "cryptic", just having some fun. Comments, especially on improvement / critical  are always welcomed. Thank you for listening! Misha. 

Shifting Seasons

Lyrics:
Hot summer days are spiraling down,
ground is soaked as a sponge with the rain.
Bats are diving low to the ground,
as a kamikaze piloting the planes.

Come play another round, king has lost his crown
Jumping high to get the feet of the ground
One cloud, two clouds, I am going to pass out
from the beauty of the autumn colors.

Nights are getting longer, stars brighter
Feet are getting heavy, thoughts-lighter
Time to get the raincoat and sweaters from the closet
Glue a smile on a face...

One clown, two clowns,
circus left the town,
leaving them behind, wondering the streets.
Tall houses, heavy trucks-feel like a trapped mouse,
I rather be watching the beauty of the sunset.

And we are trying to stop the motion,
conserve the time like the flies in amber.
Loving and hurting, healing and stealing
watching the candle burn.

One step, two steps - shaky floor
taking a rest... I can walk for more!
Miles and miles...My mother smiles
snow falling outdoors.

Tech stuff:
BIAB:Bass: 3122 AcousticVihuela: 3242, Rhyth
Midi drums through Halion (was hoping for RDs, but could not find good candidate)
Arrangement is done in vArranger / imported to BIAB
Various midi clips/synths processed through Halion 
Recorded in Cakewalk.
Lyrics/Vocals-Me
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/07/19 05:38 AM
Everything sounds good to me. The progression is just that little bit "crazy" but comes around nicely. The strongest part of all this is the rhythm, both from the backing and the lyrical delivery. I loved the Jethro Tull-esque opening. At least that's what I heard--and it wasn't just the flute.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/07/19 07:29 AM
Always a great listen! You have such a gift when it comes to writing, love the lyrics!

I listened first and then read Tangmo's comment about the intro so went back and listened again. I can hear it too now that he mentioned it, just before the vocal comes in, very cool indeed!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/07/19 11:01 AM
Hi Misha,

You always succeed in making me confused. Mostly because of the mysterious lyrics in a lot of your song. but also the kind of melody you created. Wunderbar! These melodies confuse me, but make me smile as well (that is also confusing).
And the way you sing is impossible to copy. You are unique in that.
Your recording is very good. All sounds clear and the voice very close.
Well done!

Hans
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/07/19 11:10 AM
Misha,

A very cool musical piece.

Intriguing lyrics, as always. The musical background is really well done. The stabbing, rhythmic synths are super.

Your vocal on this is your best to date, I think. In-the-pocket - just the right place in the mix - clear, yet "in the mix" well. Has a deep warmth to it...

Very enjoyable listen.

fj
Posted By: Mark K Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/07/19 04:48 PM
Vocal shows emotional engagement with song. Enjoyable listen.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/07/19 07:27 PM
Enjoyed this as I have said before your songs are very different to what I normally would hear,but you know what....that's why you got a second listen from me .
this was interesting musically and lyrically and very well done in this style your vocals fit this sound so well .

Thanks
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/07/19 07:42 PM
The fun you were trying to have with this song really came across. Excellent job.
Posted By: rayc Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/08/19 01:03 AM
Excellent work Misha,
I enjoyed the giddy dance of the melody and the evolving narrative of the seasons.
The arrangement is complicated but clear and effective.
Loved it.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/08/19 02:13 AM
Wow! I feel a bit like I've just stepped off a crazy calliope that ran through a calendar and breakneck speed.

That was a heck of a ride!

Excellent! laugh
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/08/19 04:44 PM
Really cool song!! It could almost fit in as a song in a musical! Your ability with English as a second language blows me away!! Cool stuff!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/08/19 07:06 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Excellent work Misha,
I enjoyed the giddy dance of the melody and the evolving narrative of the seasons.
The arrangement is complicated but clear and effective.
Loved it.

That says it very well! The lyrics are accessible without losing the quirky twist we expect from you.
Really good work on the midi synths and strings.

Robert
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/09/19 05:40 AM
Hi Misha,

that is outstanding ! Your lyric-writing talents are amazing and seem to know no limits, you get me every time! An unusual composition with a backing track that fits it like a glove.

Tangmo mentioned Jethro Tull - well, I've been wondering ever since whom your vocal phrasing reminded me of, but never got to the result. But now I know: Ian Anderson. (Thanks Tangmo, now I don't have to toss and turn in my bed at night anymore).

Misha, you really never disappoint with what you're delivering - hats off again and again - it's just another excellent song brilliantly sung and produced.

All the best,

Stefan
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/09/19 06:31 AM
Hi Misha
Wow! That is SO different. What a great write! Very interesting backing too. Enjoyed my listen very much
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/09/19 12:19 PM
Wow - what a tune! You really did an outstanding job on this. The progression is wild, and your vocals soar on this one. Loved the instrumentation as well. It sets a really unique mood, and almost has a medieval touch, I found. As always, really fantastic lyrics as well.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/09/19 07:07 PM
Tangmo,
Thank you for kind words! I assure you that doing this in style of the great Tull was not the objective, it just came together like this smile I guess the tone of the flute is somewhat alike.
------
Dave,
thank you very much for your support!
------
Hans,
good deal! Thank you for kind words. On this I was using the filter I was bragging about.
------
FJ,
Thank you for listening! I always find challenging when mixing very different by nature sources. I appreciate your comments on mixing and vocals!
------
Mark,
Thank you for listening and your feedback!
------
Beatmaster,
Thank you for listening and your support!
------
Ember,
Thank you for listening!
-----
Ray,
Thank you for listening and words of support!
----
David,
Thank you for giving this time and fun & supportive comments!
----
Greg,
Thank you for listening and kind words! Actually this community tuned me to write more English tunes, for which I am very grateful.
----
Robert,
Thank you for listening and your kind feedback!
----
Stefan,
Thank you for listening and your supportive & fun comments! I wish I had a fraction of your talents smile
----
Joanne,
Thank you for listening and your support!
----
Deryk,
Thank you for tuning in and your support!
Posted By: PeterF Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/10/19 02:43 AM
Misha
A really nice sound, melody, lyric and arrangement.

Also like others loved the intro (and the ending).

Very clever.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/10/19 04:15 PM
"Nights are getting longer, stars brighter
Feet are getting heavy, thoughts-lighter
Time to get the raincoat and sweaters from the closet
Glue a smile on a face..."

Nice!

Excellent vocals, write, melody, progression, RT choice and mix. All topnotch.

But what really stands out overall to us is the arrangement. It's instantly engaging and intriguing
with all the obviously well thought out and brought to fruition nuances.

Superb!

J&B
Posted By: jannesan Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/10/19 04:54 PM
I like fall too, although spring is definitely my favorite smile

Beautiful lyrics having strong nature images. A song that reveals new gems on every reading/listening.

Nice cinematic intro, interesting jazzy pop orchestral arrangement, enjoyable chording, especially in that catchy chorus and orchestrated ending.

All the effort put on this really shines brightly in all autumn colors.

Janne

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/12/19 04:42 AM
Hi Misha,

I love your work!

Every time I listen to a song of yours, it's like taking a holiday to somewhere I've never been before. I really enjoy listening to you melodies and how you harmonise them... always musical, always a little different from the usual, and always very effective.

I thoroughly enjoyed my listen.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Scott C Re: Shifting Seasons - 09/13/19 10:49 AM
Very cool backtrack. Such a neat melody. Loved the lyric and vocal. Bass drum was very cool as well. Almost sounded like a marching band drum. Well done
Posted By: Jim Re: Shifting Seasons - 10/25/19 09:34 PM
Cool song...
Cool lyrics...
Cool melody...
Cool presentation...
I really like listening to your tunes!
© PG Music Forums