PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan Walking - 09/17/19 03:10 PM
Walking

Making songs has been an important therapeutic process for me since the early 80's, although lately long lasting walks in nature have been my primary way to forget earthly worries. Thus, I have composed only couple of new songs during this year and I've been mainly concentrating on polishing my older songs. But here is a new song I have managed to finish, and inspiration for it has naturally been walking smile The story is bit dark, it is not easy to walk away from all of your memories.

The music was partly inspired by the baritone guitar RT that, when left playing the same chord for many bars, started to play nice riffs. I hope I haven't overused it laugh

RealDrums: BluesShuffleHard1
RealTracks:
Acoustic bass #2425
Acoustic piano: #2889
Organ: #673
Baritone guitar BluesShuffleBassAndLicks #2624
Acoustic guitar #2886
Electric guitar soloist #3248

Vocals: Janne S
Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

Walking, watching brimstone butterflies
walking I'm feeling
the springtime passing by.
I'm walking, enjoying
those cherry trees in bloom
in the central park
where the Sun dates her groom.
I'm walking, I'm hearing
how a greenfinch tunes his voice
life is calling me to rejoice.

Walking, I'm walking
forgetting
there's something on my heels.
Walking, faster
away from home
from the scents that could reveal
the memories I'm fleeing
all the blanks in my being
the affection that I used to feel
so I'm walking, I'm walking
because if I stop
I'll start thinking about you.

Walking I'm receding from the keys
walking away from the
birthday melodies.
Away from the red Ford
not on the parking lot
away from phones and tabs,
mails that I haven't got.
Away from the balcony
the last move of the queen
the sofa bed, the lovemaking scene.

[Chorus]

Walking,
many miles from restaurants,
sushi, Nepalese,
the kebab sauce smell still haunts.
Too many tasty things
Fresita, chicken wings
too many milestones to avoid
walking,
becoming a paranoid
scared to pause, to see the cause.

[Chorus]

--------------
Janne
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Walking - 09/17/19 04:10 PM
Hi Janne,

I really like how you've paced the lyrics against this musical backdrop that captures the feeling of walking very, very well.

As I was listening, I had an image of a pair of boots causally walking along a road in my head. The music and its groove created this picture and I found it very effective.

The mix sounded really good in my headphones and your singing is full of confidence and sounds great. Nice one!

It's thumbs up from me!
Noel
Posted By: rayc Re: Walking - 09/17/19 06:40 PM
Cool effort.
I think "rejoice" sounds odd against the distorted guitars at the end of the 1st verse.
What, exactly, does "Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab" mean?
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Walking - 09/17/19 08:12 PM
Hello Janne. You always something interesting to the table.
Well done. Rob4580
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Walking - 09/17/19 09:18 PM
The lyrics flow pretty well in this. Great job!
Posted By: dcuny Re: Walking - 09/18/19 03:18 AM
Interesting write - the jaunty feel of the music is a good choice, as the marching feel matches the lyric nicely. As you said, it's got an unexpected melancholy as the song goes along.

Well done!
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: Walking - 09/18/19 01:07 PM
Nicely done smile A really unique and engaging tune for sure, and the groove is awesome. It has a certain darkness to it which I liked, but it is subtle and still manages to be really catchy.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/19/19 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I really like how you've paced the lyrics against this musical backdrop that captures the feeling of walking very, very well.

As I was listening, I had an image of a pair of boots causally walking along a road in my head. The music and its groove created this picture and I found it very effective.

The mix sounded really good in my headphones and your singing is full of confidence and sounds great. Nice one!
It's thumbs up from me!
Noel

Thanks Noel for your very kind review smile I agree, that groove is just like made for walking. I had the title and some lyrics already in my mind when selecting the style _PARTY (Party jamming blues) which worked really well, although in the end I kept just the bass, drums and that lovely baritone guitar.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/19/19 01:46 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool effort.
I think "rejoice" sounds odd against the distorted guitars at the end of the 1st verse.
What, exactly, does "Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab" mean?

Thanks Ray for your nice feedback smile In my ears (or actually in the eyes of my mind) the guitar players sound like they are playing with great joy and big smile smile

"Cakewalk by BandLab" is the DAW I'm using, previously known as Sonar.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/19/19 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hello Janne. You always something interesting to the table.
Well done. Rob4580

Thanks Rob for your kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Walking - 09/19/19 02:03 PM
We have five miles of trails through the woods on our property and a neighbor's and walking or biking them nearly daily is a HUGE part of our life...so we get what you are saying.

And like Noel mentioned the groove makes it easy to picture walking.

And even though you are walking away from some memories it sounds like you walking toward more pleasant times.

Well done...the entire production including the vocal performance sounds excellent on our monitors.

Kudos!

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Walking - 09/19/19 07:45 PM
Janne,
I like the balance between things walked away from and toward, in the lyrics.
Really like that baritone shuffle track which underpins the song all the way, and your relaxed vocal.
All my songs are mulled over, hummed and refined on walks...two therapies combined!

Robert
Posted By: Will Josef Re: Walking - 09/19/19 07:56 PM
Hi Janne,

That is a special song with a cool groove. Well done!

Will
Posted By: Scott C Re: Walking - 09/20/19 07:44 AM
Very cool rhythm to this song. Walking is my favorite pastime with the exception of playing my guitar. Super vocal and loved the guitars. Well done
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/21/19 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
The lyrics flow pretty well in this. Great job!

Thanks Ember for your kind feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/21/19 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Interesting write - the jaunty feel of the music is a good choice, as the marching feel matches the lyric nicely. As you said, it's got an unexpected melancholy as the song goes along.
Well done!

Thanks David for your kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/21/19 05:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done smile A really unique and engaging tune for sure, and the groove is awesome. It has a certain darkness to it which I liked, but it is subtle and still manages to be really catchy.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Deryk, I appreciate your kind words smile I'm glad you liked those darker moments also.

Janne
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Walking - 09/22/19 10:56 AM
Extra fine lyric. "...because if I stop I'll start thinking about you..." is a standout to me, but another day I could easily pick a different line. That progression takes us uphills and downhills and the whole thing "walks". Easy to get into.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Walking - 09/22/19 03:49 PM
Really interesting angle for a song!! Love the way the music wanders just like the character in the story's mind! Very well done in every way!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Walking - 09/22/19 04:06 PM
Janne,

An interesting write. You covered the subject well.

A good overall sound to give a sense of movement. Some cool guitar licks in there...

A good vocal. All well mixed. Well done.

fj
Posted By: dani48 Re: Walking - 09/23/19 12:13 PM
Hi, Janne !

How original isn´t this
tune of yours ! thumbs up for
that and for the superb mood you
are creating with that haunting
accompaniment !!!

Cheers Dani
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/23/19 12:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
We have five miles of trails through the woods on our property and a neighbor's and walking or biking them nearly daily is a HUGE part of our life...so we get what you are saying.

And like Noel mentioned the groove makes it easy to picture walking.

And even though you are walking away from some memories it sounds like you walking toward more pleasant times.

Well done...the entire production including the vocal performance sounds excellent on our monitors.
Kudos!
J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud for your insightful feedback smile Walking toward more pleasant times, that's very nicely said. Now that I think of it, maybe I could have stressed that part more, for example, by bringing it more clearly in the bridge section. Happy walking!

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/23/19 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janne,
I like the balance between things walked away from and toward, in the lyrics.
Really like that baritone shuffle track which underpins the song all the way, and your relaxed vocal.
All my songs are mulled over, hummed and refined on walks...two therapies combined!
Robert

Thanks Robert for your kind words smile I don't do much songwriting during my walks, at least consciously, but quite often many new ideas pop up from nowhere, so it's more like a subconscious process then.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/23/19 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Hi Janne,
That is a special song with a cool groove. Well done!
Will

Thanks Will, I appreciate your positive feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: Mark K Re: Walking - 09/23/19 12:55 PM
Sounds like many of us are enthusiastic for walking as way to "escape". Like (what sounds like to me) the chromatic descending chord progressions. Enjoyed the listen.
Posted By: Crossroads Re: Walking - 09/24/19 05:09 AM
Hi Janne,

that's interesting in all aspects: nice lyrics, a great arrangement (love the solo guitar throw-ins) and your singing really tells the story. Enjoyed the listen!

Cheers,

Stefan
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/25/19 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool rhythm to this song. Walking is my favorite pastime with the exception of playing my guitar. Super vocal and loved the guitars. Well done

Thanks Scott your positive feedback smile Let's keep on walking and making music laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/25/19 04:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Extra fine lyric. "...because if I stop I'll start thinking about you..." is a standout to me, but another day I could easily pick a different line. That progression takes us uphills and downhills and the whole thing "walks". Easy to get into.

Thanks Tangmo, I'm glad you liked my lyrics and found a quotable line laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/25/19 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really interesting angle for a song!! Love the way the music wanders just like the character in the story's mind! Very well done in every way!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for your kind comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/27/19 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
An interesting write. You covered the subject well.
A good overall sound to give a sense of movement. Some cool guitar licks in there...
A good vocal. All well mixed. Well done.
fj

Thanks Floyd, I appreciate your positive comment smile And I'm glad BIAB has such cool guitar licks wink

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/27/19 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
How original isn´t this
tune of yours ! thumbs up for
that and for the superb mood you
are creating with that haunting
accompaniment !!!
Cheers Dani

Thanks Dani for your very kind and generous words smile

Janne
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Walking - 09/28/19 12:31 PM
Janne,

Really like the lyrics to this one . . . and the “walking, walking” refrain is catch, with the music seemingly beating out the singer’s steps. Nicely conceived and executed. Enjoyed this listen—well done.

All the best,

Deej
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/29/19 03:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark K
Sounds like many of us are enthusiastic for walking as way to "escape". Like (what sounds like to me) the chromatic descending chord progressions. Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks Mark for your nice comment smile Most likely I'm not following the orthodox progression you mentioned, I always add my own oddities, but I'm glad you enjoyed the song anyway laugh

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/29/19 03:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
that's interesting in all aspects: nice lyrics, a great arrangement (love the solo guitar throw-ins) and your singing really tells the story. Enjoyed the listen!
Cheers,
Stefan

Thanks Stefan for your warm and positive feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/29/19 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Really like the lyrics to this one . . . and the “walking, walking” refrain is catch, with the music seemingly beating out the singer’s steps. Nicely conceived and executed. Enjoyed this listen—well done.
All the best,
Deej

Thanks Deej, I appreciate your kind words smile I had some timing issues with the melody and rhythm in some bars, sounding like drummer couldn't follow the walking rhythm of the melody, but I'm glad that it didn't bother you (or anyone else).

Janne
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Walking - 09/30/19 07:22 AM
Missed this one somehow!

Good stuff, Janne, love the groove! Guitar work is great and nice writing too.

Enjoyed the listen!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 09/30/19 01:16 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Missed this one somehow!
Good stuff, Janne, love the groove! Guitar work is great and nice writing too.
Enjoyed the listen!

I'm glad you find it, thanks Dave for your kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Walking - 10/05/19 12:46 PM
I'm big on Walking and this was a nice big sound too, it was different but nicely done for the style.

Thanks
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 10/05/19 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
I'm big on Walking and this was a nice big sound too, it was different but nicely done for the style.

Thanks

Thanks beatmaster for your listen and nice comment smile Keep on walking laugh

Janne
Posted By: Jim Re: Walking - 10/27/19 02:02 PM
I think its cool how your choice of backing rhythm fits the song title...
Even lead rides feel like they're walking...
Good job on this one!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Walking - 10/28/19 12:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim
I think its cool how your choice of backing rhythm fits the song title...
Even lead rides feel like they're walking...
Good job on this one!

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your kind comment smile BIAB has many wonderful instruments to fulfill my visions smile

Janne
© PG Music Forums