PG Music Home
Posted By: Greg Johnson NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/25/19 06:47 PM
Hi forum friends. Listening a lot recently and hearing some killer music! This is a song written specifically for a film which I saw.....bad way to try to get your song in a film! Anyway, I was inspired by this film Everything Everything.....not sure if it was really that great or just hit me in the right mood. Hope you enjoy! Would love to hear your thoughts! Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/beforeidie3
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/25/19 06:59 PM
The intro, 1st phrase and delay/panning are very Pink Floyd DSOTM Us us us us & Them them them them...
That's not a bad thing.
Who's what & where?
Lyrics'd be nice too.
The vocal is great - intimate and in front but there're a couple of sibilant spots that could be addressed to enhance the intimacy.
COOL.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/25/19 07:22 PM
Very high quality work Greg!! That chorus is big league stuff if I do say so!! What an excellent pure vocal you delivered! I'm always impressed with your work but this is some of your best! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Robertkc Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/25/19 09:13 PM
Greg,
A beautiful chorus melody that moves the song up and away from the slightly spacey verse opening( which is cool btw)
Nice change up at 3:15 and the arrangement all works.
The vocals on your songs are so darn good- this is one of your best!
Good inspiration on the write which you communicate very well.

Robert
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/25/19 09:16 PM
Beautiful vocal. Beautiful song. I like the bass line. I'm assuming that it's a BIAB track.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/25/19 10:53 PM
I watched the trailer for the movie on rottentomatoes.com before listening to your track and that helped a lot to get the context. Of course I like everything you do and this was no different, a great tune with a lot of good stuff in it. Hard to take a wrong turn with a voice like yours and you steered true with this song. I like this approach and might give it a try someday. Thanks for yet another great listen, Greg!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/25/19 11:14 PM
That is brilliant. If not the best thing on these forums, it's damn close.

Yep... Immediately got a Pink Floyd feel.... The groove fits the subject. I'll go watch the trailer to see... But absolutely, yes I can see it in a movie. That needs to be placed in a library that has a good hit record for placing songs in film and TV.

My goodness was that a great key change going into the solo.

My only nit is that fade. Button it up. Personally I would do a rit ending... Slow it down to a hold. Rit over 1 or 2 measures at best. Let the producer of the show or movie fade if they want but define the ending.

Love this ❤️ song.
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/26/19 02:10 AM
Love the Pink Floyd vibe. Solid production all around, and you've got a stellar voice.

With the "I wish" sort of lyric, it's exactly what I'd imagine hearing as the end titles roll and a song summarizes the movie.

As with most of your songs, I like this one a lot. smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/26/19 08:09 AM
Hi Greg,

You had me confused for a minute, I thought I reviewed this song yesterday but now I see it's a totally different song smile

I'm a Floyd fan from way back, so yeah, I really like this a lot.

I think you could have extended that guitar solo, other than that just an excellent song, really enjoyed it.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/26/19 11:37 AM
Greg,

I always love your writes. High level pro quality. "Comfortable", conversational lyrics, but always interesting, unique (never run-of-the-mill, cliche stuff). In-the-pocket. Always.

Your production on this one is a match for that high-level writing... Sweet! The guitar was icing... And the fade is exactly what a song like this should have (it could have been longer).

And...ah....that vocal!

Excellence abounds.

fj
Posted By: Leon1 Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/27/19 02:05 AM
Top notch, Greg. Superb vocal, thoughtful lyrics and a beautiful melody.
Love the nod to 'Us and Them'.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/27/19 09:34 AM
This is so, so, good! Love the sounds, the textures, the pacing... You are a true master of the craft, Greg :-)
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/27/19 12:31 PM
Greg as you know I am a fan. Love this song. I also got a pink Floyd vibe on this. Guitar was very cool. As always a super vocal
Posted By: Jim Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/27/19 05:54 PM
I certainly look forward to your submissions...
Lyrics, music, mix, & productions...
Always seem to be of a more excellent order...
This one is just another fine example...
Simply nice!
Posted By: PeterF Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/27/19 06:05 PM
Greg

Stunning work (and a very nice tip of the hat to Pink Floyd at the start).
Wonderful vocal and melody and a nice overall build.

Really excellent songwriting.

Peter
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/27/19 08:16 PM
This song had a really great vibe to it, and the vocals were on point. Sounds like you really had fun with this song. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/28/19 03:16 AM
Another winner from you Greg.

I like the clarity of the whole song, and the way the bass line punctuates sensitively throughout.

Everything about this is excellent.
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 11/28/19 12:20 PM
What a tune! The vocals on this are stunning and the build up is fantastic. It makes for a really well put together song that flows like water. I'm definitely picking up on some Pink Floyd influence which is never a bad thing in my books.

Great work and thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/01/19 03:46 PM
Before I Die

Life, living behind the glass
Mornings come, and evenings pass
Alone, watching the seasons change
But in my world I’m frozen here….so strange

I know this life cannot be stored here on the shelf
I’ve got to go and live it for myself

I just can’t wait another day
I’m breaking out, come what may
I know I have to try
This heart was born to fly
Gonna dive head first into that world
Swim the ocean find my pearl
The limit is the sky
Ive got to live a life before I die

Life, living behind the glass
Voices come and go and shadows pass
Alone, immersed in a world of dreams
Is life out there as wondrous as it seems?

I know the risks, dangers loom beyond these wall
But I cant live a sheltered life, I want it all

I just can’t wait a moment more
This spirit here was meant to soar
So whatever comes to pass
Will be a life beyond this glass
I’m breaking out, I’m breaking free
I’m on the road to finding me
If I fall or if I fly
I’ve got to live a life before I die

There are the lyrics

Thanks for the listen and the kind words Ray! Take care. Greg

Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/01/19 05:35 PM
Greg, this is one of if not your best song thus far. Everything is spot on and your vocal is fantastic. Your mix is perfect and that guitar part came in at the right time.

Excellent song.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/02/19 07:39 PM
Lovely write, vocal and arrangement.

The build and the mod are very effective.

David C alluded to the cinematic feel and we certainly agree.

What to say? Just beautiful...

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/03/19 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Very high quality work Greg!! That chorus is big league stuff if I do say so!! What an excellent pure vocal you delivered! I'm always impressed with your work but this is some of your best! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks so much Torrey! Really appreciate your kind words! Love your latest!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/04/19 02:04 AM
Greg,

So, I accidentally posted the following to the Sutherland Road thread; got thrown by the duplicate threads. But I wanted to make sure I added it here, because this is a lovely song:

"I have nothing more to add to the accolades . . . just a really pretty and chill listen. Love your vox . . . just a stellar, stellar tune. Killer."

My humble regards,

Deej
Posted By: musician17 Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/04/19 03:25 AM
Oh. My. Word :-)

So moving. I love this kind of track and you did every bit of it justice in every way. What a song. What's the point of analysing and dissecting it when the whole thing just leaves one breathless by the end? None whatsoever, so I won't. Well done.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/04/19 06:13 AM
Hello Greg,

What nice song you made with this one! Even though I haven't heard of that movie you mentioned (Everything, everything) I can imagine what kind of movie that must be, considering your melody and lyrics.
I like this kind of music and especially the very nice vocals in it. So to me you did a very good job on it !

Hans
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/07/19 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Beautiful vocal. Beautiful song. I like the bass line. I'm assuming that it's a BIAB track.

Thanks so much! Yes, that is a BIAB bass track....use that one a lot....very melodic! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Steve Young Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/07/19 05:40 PM
Once again! This is one of your best ones. Love the write. And your vocals! Always so good!

Like some others, I was a little confused because I thought you posted this before, but I am so glad I went ahead and gave this one a listen!

Great work!

Steve
Posted By: Brian Cadoret Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/07/19 06:20 PM

Beautiful song Greg sung from the heart the words say it all.

The change into the chorus is just so uplifting I had to pick up my guitar and play along with you.

Cheers.
Posted By: jannesan Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/08/19 04:19 PM
Touching and uplifting lyrics - truly an anthem for life.

Great chording, strong chorus, excellent vocals and backing vocals.

The killer solo guitar and organ are highlights of the excellent smooth sounding band, all mixed perfectly.

In my top 10 of this year, no doubt.

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/10/19 09:41 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I watched the trailer for the movie on rottentomatoes.com before listening to your track and that helped a lot to get the context. Of course I like everything you do and this was no different, a great tune with a lot of good stuff in it. Hard to take a wrong turn with a voice like yours and you steered true with this song. I like this approach and might give it a try someday. Thanks for yet another great listen, Greg!

Thanks so much for your very kind words! Much appreciated! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/10/19 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That is brilliant. If not the best thing on these forums, it's damn close.

Yep... Immediately got a Pink Floyd feel.... The groove fits the subject. I'll go watch the trailer to see... But absolutely, yes I can see it in a movie. That needs to be placed in a library that has a good hit record for placing songs in film and TV.

My goodness was that a great key change going into the solo.

My only nit is that fade. Button it up. Personally I would do a rit ending... Slow it down to a hold. Rit over 1 or 2 measures at best. Let the producer of the show or movie fade if they want but define the ending.

Love this ❤️ song.

Thanks so much Herb! You made my day/week/month with your kind review!! Don't know what "rit" is but I get what you're saying, and I have heard recently that sync work is better not to fade. Thanks again! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/18/19 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Love the Pink Floyd vibe. Solid production all around, and you've got a stellar voice.

With the "I wish" sort of lyric, it's exactly what I'd imagine hearing as the end titles roll and a song summarizes the movie.

As with most of your songs, I like this one a lot. smile

THanks so much David! It's always been my dream to have a song play during the closing credits! THanks again! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/18/19 09:02 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Greg,

You had me confused for a minute, I thought I reviewed this song yesterday but now I see it's a totally different song smile

I'm a Floyd fan from way back, so yeah, I really like this a lot.

I think you could have extended that guitar solo, other than that just an excellent song, really enjoyed it.

Thanks Dave! Yeah, I accidentally posted another song that was not titled and had the exact same length. Sorry for the confusion. Digging the stuff you and Chris are doing!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/18/19 09:27 PM
Greg,
This was on my list "to listen" for some time now. Such a magical and soothing soundscape. Absolutely beautiful! Had to listen to it twice. I like vocal delay treatment very much. Bass fits like a glove. I wonder was the bass a BIAB track or played? Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: dani48 Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/19/19 08:22 AM
Hi, Greg !

I too think this to be one of
your absolute best if not even
the best ! at least it is my
new Gregfav by you !

It is a gem in every aspect !

cheers
Dani
Posted By: RichMac Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/19/19 11:07 PM

Fantastic song beautifully performed and presented.
Would fit comfortably on a shelf with my Pink Floyd albums.
Best wishes.
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/20/19 10:57 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

I always love your writes. High level pro quality. "Comfortable", conversational lyrics, but always interesting, unique (never run-of-the-mill, cliche stuff). In-the-pocket. Always.

Your production on this one is a match for that high-level writing... Sweet! The guitar was icing... And the fade is exactly what a song like this should have (it could have been longer).

And...ah....that vocal!

Excellence abounds.

fj

Thanks so much my friend!! Kind words from you mean a lot to me!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/20/19 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Top notch, Greg. Superb vocal, thoughtful lyrics and a beautiful melody.
Love the nod to 'Us and Them'.
Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon! Yeah, the Us and Them seem was not intentional but when I had the melody, it cried for the echo! Take care. Greg
Posted By: biab-user Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/23/19 02:00 PM
Well done Greg! it's a really nice song, loved it.
Did you use BIAB?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/24/19 02:29 AM
Hi Greg,

This is stunning from absolutely every angle.

Your writing is always engaging, always easy on the ears and resonates with emotion. This was every bit a Greg Johnson classic as any of your songs I've heard.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/24/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
This is so, so, good! Love the sounds, the textures, the pacing... You are a true master of the craft, Greg :-)

Thanks so much for the kind words!! Merry Xmas!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW SONG POST: Before I Die - 12/24/19 02:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Greg as you know I am a fan. Love this song. I also got a pink Floyd vibe on this. Guitar was very cool. As always a super vocal

Thanks so much Scott!! Always enjoy hearing your tunes! Merry Xmas! Take care. Greg
© PG Music Forums