PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood A christmas song: Finding words - 12/11/19 08:21 PM
Hi everyone,

It's nearly Christmas, so time for an appropriate song to my opinion ;-).
Probably you won't think it is, when hearing something very Funky.
But it's about finding the words you have in mind and don't dare to say. At least in my country they won't say the last words of these lyrics so easily. Well... to me it's been ages ago saying them, but good to think doing it more often (to my wife).

I made this song when listening to the new styles coming with Band in a Box 2020. This one was called Shaman. I added some instruments and not changed excisting instruments. At first I made the song in an also new style: Downout. This song was more sensitive, while this one has much more beat, although both have a tempo of 103. I couldn't choose which one to place on SoundCloud and here. But I did some experimenting with this funky song on harmonies and it became my favorite.
I hope yours too!
But please, don't hesitate to tell me what I did wrong, or whatever. I learn from it!

Merry Christmas,
Hans Berkhout

https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/finding-words-fnk

The lyrics:
Finding Words
(c) HWBerkhout, 021219

Words I cannot find
While mostly they're in my mind
But words won't come along
Maybe my feelings are too strong

chorus:
'Cause I love it when you're smiling
A sunbeam will appear
But from the day you be frowning
this all will clear

Words in my head
Felt uneasy when said
But these words won't come along
I don't know what I did wrong

Chorus

Oh Words were my skill
Now no trace, or maybe still...?
I only fear, they won't come along
'cause I tried for so long

Oh words, they'd gone away
could not convince them  to stay
I only know if they come along
That would make me feel so strong

=solo=

Transponed chorus:

Yes, I love it when you're smiling
to find my words I can proceed
And if you won't be frowning
I will succeed

'Cause I love it when you're smiling
The sun won't stop to shine
Every day you keep on smiling
we get more entwined

But listen, oh listen
I have found my words:
I love you!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/12/19 08:49 AM
Man, I almost missed this one! There is so much going on in the forum these days it doesn't take long for a song to scroll right off the front page.

Sounds good to me, Hans! Good writing and I always like your vocal.

Great guitar solo, which realtrack was that? And I love how the bring in the chorus "ahhhh" part way through the guitar solo, worked really well! I might steal that trick sometime, hope you don't mind wink

I think the only thing I didn't like was the guitar fills at the end, took away from the vocal I thought.

Mix sounds good to me too, enjoyed this one.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/12/19 05:15 PM
Hans,
Every day you keep on smiling
we get more entwined

I like the funky optimism of that!
Your vocal is really on top of the feeling and this is a great style you`ve discovered.
Your Christmas opinion works for me.
Love the lead guitar too!

Robert
Posted By: Crossroads Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/13/19 07:05 AM
Well, Hans, I had the honour of listening to the other version forst , and although that is really good, too, I think you made the right decision when you chose this funky backing track.

A really good write (but that goes for all your songs anyway), your fabulous singing combined with thos special HB vox effects has (at least for me) already become sort of a trademark.

A very catchy chorus - and, yes: We should say those three magic words far more often - if they're coming from the heart.

Really, really love this thing.

Groetjes,

Stefan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/13/19 12:23 PM
Hans,

One of your best, I think.

The funky guitars work! Mice use of the Aaahs, too.

A very passionate vocal. The vocal in the chorus gets slightly "piercing" (a bit loud and a bit too much high EQ to my ear). The verse vocals are excellent...

A nice love song. Enjoyed this.

fj
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/13/19 12:44 PM
Passionate and soulful.

Great RT on the solo!

The funk vibe well delivers the song.

"Every day you keep on smiling
we get more entwined"

That!

Enjoyed it very much.

J&B
Posted By: Jim Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/13/19 02:20 PM
Great love song Hans...
I'll bet you wife really likes it...
I thought the backing tracks fitted the lyrics very well...
And I liked the lick you included on the tag (end of the song)

BTW...
I start everyday asking my wife...
How's my sexy, beautiful, young wife feeling this morning?"
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/14/19 12:31 PM
Hi Dave, Rob, Stefan, Floyd, Janice, Bud and Jim,

Thanks for listening and your judgements.
I had to try some vocal things with Melodyne, because Joanne wasn't available (new job).
But it was very nice BB had their 2020-version that gave me some inspiration.
At the other hand, they made it difficult for me, because I made two versions, the joyful funk and the emotional Folk-Rock version.
I also placed that one on this forum. But I think the funkversion is gonna win. We need some joy in these dark days...

Dave, if you want to steal some trick of me, go ahead! I'm sure you will use them wisely. On the other hand, you have Chris at your side. Why in need of these ooh's and aah's?
And about the guitarsolo at the end that disturbs the vocals. I had the same feeling when making the song. But on the other had, it is the 'grand finale'so the voice and solo had to work together. Look at it as another trick of me. You may want to use it one day.

Rob, I'm glad my Christmas-opinion did work for you. Have you said those 3 words to your partner? And...?
Stefan, you are always so complimentful and I know you mean it as well! The version I let you hear was the one that is now also on the forum. Only the vocals must be more improved than when you heard it. at least, I hope so. But be strict with me all the time.

Floyd, I'm very sorry to damaged your ears again. I will correct it as soon as possible. And about the 'Oohs and Aahs', i'm always hesitating if I can use them. My wife hates them, on the other hand. my wife can't sing.

Janice and Bud, your statement is loud and clear. My Christmaswords were very much accepted by you. I realy feel I'm that Santa man you are singing about (not intended improperly).

And Jim, your conversations with your wife have improved a lot, I noticed. I am very happy this song contributed to this. But if I said those words to my wife, she would certainly become very suspicious ...
I liked the idea of singing a whole song about finding words and at the end of it, it appears it were only 3 words. We don't often use these words. Have to learn to do it more. and you picked that up very nicely. I love that, Jim!

Hans
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/14/19 01:38 PM
I like the funk but didn't see a christmas connection.... but hey, who cares?

Nice work
Posted By: jimmadsen Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/14/19 02:24 PM
Love the Lyrics - Very nice bit of work!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/18/19 08:09 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,

One of your best, I think.

The funky guitars work! Mice use of the Aaahs, too.

A very passionate vocal. The vocal in the chorus gets slightly "piercing" (a bit loud and a bit too much high EQ to my ear). The verse vocals are excellent...

A nice love song. Enjoyed this.

fj

Agree with all that!! That must be Zane! Your vocals always have a Lennon vibe, which is a great thing in my book! Nice job!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/18/19 10:23 PM
Hans,
Nice cooking! Funky stuff. Arrangement is strong with all of these drum acrobatics smile Vocals are clear. Everything is in place.
In my opinion, vocals are too encapsulated in FX you are using. Seems like they are missing some low end. I know, vocals are very challenging, but here is what I do if I have issues with mixing. I try to "forget" that it is me singing and try to look at vocals as just another instrument track. When it is more or less balanced with other stuff in DAW, then I would play around with FX, and definitely some sort of EQ or Comp at master bus (just a little), to glue stuff together. In essence I would prefer vocals deeper dynamically and more "in mix".
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/19/19 01:37 AM
I really enjoyed your choice of backing tracks! Great job. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/19/19 11:16 AM
Hi Guitarhacker, Jim M, Greg, Misha and Ember,

Thanks for your compliments on the song! Gives me energy to continue making songs. Or was that not what you meant? ;-)

Guitarhacker, you couldn't see the Christmas connection? but it was right there, the last 3 words. Especially when it's time for Chrismas we all got emotional feelings to eachother and express them in terms of these 3 words. At least that is what I learned about Christmas. Oh, and a tree filled with balls, lights and that stands for the bright star telliong us love is born... But maybe I mix things up.

Jim, thanks what you said about the lyrics. That feels good, because I thought I made a mistake in it.

Greg, you have to help me. What is Zane? I looked it up on internet, saw Zane Hijazi, an actor from Miami. But still I don't know what that says about me or the song. But I liked your comments and saw you don't give up on the Lennon-vibe in my voice. So now I have to accept this as a very nice compliment. Thanks!

Misha, I'm glad you're back. Missed you. Posted you privately some time ago. Thans for yor compliments and especially your advise about the vocals. I changed a bit of everything and reposted the song on SC. I also did some more panning. To me it sounds more bright and volume in the midds of the main vocals. Might be you still have some remarks on it, but I have a cold and so can not sing the vocals again for a while...

And Ember, thanks for your comment. I was only wondering which backing tracks you meant, the ones in the chorus or the Ooh's and Aah's. I bet it be the latter, because they were in tune (joke),

Hans
Posted By: Scott C Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/20/19 11:57 PM
Very cool backtrack and vocal. Love the changes between the chorus and verses. Well done
Posted By: Noel96 Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/21/19 09:14 AM
Hi Hans,

I enjoyed this very much.

The groove is brilliant and it was a perfect fit for your vocals. I found this very entertaining to listen to. Thank you for posting.

I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year,
Noel
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/21/19 07:18 PM
Hans,
To my taste vocals sit much better!
Misha.
Posted By: Jim Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/24/19 03:06 PM
Thanks Hans...
For taking time to listen to “There Won't Be No Christmas This Year”...
You will find my response to your comments there...
Also I’d like to mention...
You really add to the success of this User Showcase forum!
Thanks again...
Posted By: MarioD Re: A christmas song: Finding words - 12/24/19 05:13 PM
Another winner. I really liked your lyrics and vocals in this one. The backing tracks were great also.

Super song.
© PG Music Forums