PG Music Home
THE TREMENDOUS TRAVELLERS

This one really just came about from pure boredom, and I suspect it rather shows. Odds are at least high that you won't be humming along with the very obscure tune on first listen, that much I'm sure of. I'm putting this out there anyway, mostly because I have been quite inactive in here for a good while now, and also to promote the main (only?) aspect of this piece that might be of some interest, namely:
- This is done as a "100% Midi" showcase, completely without any RT, RD or recorded audio whatsoever.
As can be seen in the 'Formalities' below, the style is one TREMENDA (hence the title), which I left entirely unchanged except for changing the sound of the pad from Pan flutes to a 'musette' accordion.
The melody (if you can call this weirdness that) is basically from improv, which I then had the Melody Embellishment mess around with quite a bit.
And… that's it - Enjoy! cool

Formalities:

Style is TREMENDA.STY
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Bass (33), Acoustic Piano (1), Nylon String Guitar (25), Accordion (22),
MIDI SuperTracks in style: 2079:Piano, Rhythm Bolero Ev 090
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Room Kit (1)
Very nice listen. Amazing how all the instruments sounds so good. Well done
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Amazing how all the instruments sounds so good.
Considering that I actually only used a single soundfont for all of them (and a freeware one at that), the outcome is all the more successful. Usually with multi-inatrument soundfonts there's always that pesky one or two 'horrificly' bad sound that ruins it, but I guess I got lucky with just which sounds that particular style uses.
Although, come to think of it, I did change one and maybe that was why I did it, can't remember.
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Well done.
Thank you, much obliged as always smile
Well nice arrangement, and when you mention Midi to me !! I am interested .

Nice one enjoyed .

Thanks
Glad to hear that, midi is still very underrated/underpromoted/underused around here if you ask me.
Very pleasant instrumental. Nice mix. Had not heard of 'melody embellishment' before. Must look into it.
Now, it's precisely comments like that which makes it seem worth sharing even the most lacklustre of music in here. One never knows when a method of use or feature is going to be something that another user has "never heard of"! cool
May I suggest then that you also have a look at the 'Chord Substitutions' thing in the program, another feature I used quite extensively in the above showcase, which really increased my palette of chords for this piece. Being very much the in-key traditionalist, I would quite frankly never even have considered some of the ideas the program suggested in terms of chords to use here.
A nicely composed piece Eddie...
I have always enjoyed hearing to midi songs of others.
I am curious to know where you got the title...
Perhaps generated by Biab?

BTW...
You need to try to produce more songs this year smile
I will be looking forward to hearing them!
Originally Posted By: Jim
A nicely composed piece Eddie...
Kind of you to say so.
I am curious to know where you got the title...
Perhaps generated by Biab?
Well, sort of, though not with its internal auto-generation feature which I presume you were thinking of. See, the style's name (Tremenda) is what got me there in this case, as that has you thinking of the word tremendous. From there it was just a question of finding some noun with a nice alliteration to accompany the adjective, and presto - the title was born. I did briefly toy with 'Tremendous Trannies' at first, but after googling that phrase for some pic to go with and seeing the results, I quickly abandoned that! grin

You need to try to produce more songs this year smile
I will be looking forward to hearing them!
I'll take that as an intended encouragement, I'm sure, thanks... and thanks for taking the time for the listen & feedback, always much appreciated.
Eddie,

I think it's based on Latin, but it's a strange sound.
The melody played by the mute trumpet sound is sad and beautiful.
I feel some ingenuity in the chord progression.
I also love MIDI composition.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Eddie,

I think it's based on Latin, but it's a strange sound.
Spot on, that piano is from the original Bolero Supertrack style, which they have merged with midi instruments of similar midi styles here to make this new style. So that "Latin" flavour is most certainly present, yes. I guess the strangeness comes then more from either the very jazzy chord progressions or just from being midi produced sounds rather than recorded instrument, I'm not sure.
The melody played by the mute trumpet sound is sad and beautiful.
Really? The melody is precisely the part I still feel the least pleased with myself, so that is very generous, thank you.
I feel some ingenuity in the chord progression.
Guess what, me too! wink
That was good.
Other than our frequent use of piano MST's we know little about midi or assuredly not enough to parse it out for comments smile

But we do love multiple music genres or at least those that immediately engage us as this composition does.

I may be using the wrong word but there is almost a polyrhythmic feel to it. Whatever it may be it is mesmerizing. Very cinematic in our opinion FWIW, etc.

Most enjoyable...

J&B
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I may be using the wrong word but there is almost a polyrhythmic feel to it.
I don't know about that, I think I used "obscure" myself back there, heh. But this isn't really a right-or-wrong kind of thing, though, I'm sure many other terms could be made to apply, and polyrhythmic is as good as any... I actually had to look that one up, btw crazy
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Most enjoyable...
Now, there's a real key word if there ever was one!
Thanks for the feedback(s), much appreciated cool
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Glad to hear that, midi is still very underrated/underpromoted/underused around here if you ask me.

Got that right!

I also liked the muted trumpet lead. Its too bad that you only had a SF2 GM soundfont. I would love to hear this with better sounding instruments.

If you wish you could send me the BiaB file and I could replace the SF2 sounds with better sounds. Also if you wish I could add some nuances that may help, but either choice is totally up to you.

Its nice to see others using MIDI on the forums.

This is a really good song.
Originally Posted By: MarioD
...It's too bad that you only had a SF2 GM soundfont. I would love to hear this with better sounding instruments.
Oh, but I do have other sound sources, loads! I just wanted to see how "all-encompassing" this latest of my sf2 findings could get... also I guess I wasn't really all that invested in this particular piece to begin with (came from boredom, if you read back a bit) to bother with finding the most pristine of sounds, you know. And then, since you picked that one out, the 'old' vibe of the trumpet apparently seems to have had its appeal to some of the listeners, rather to my surprise wink

Originally Posted By: MarioD
If you wish you could send me the BiaB file and I could replace the SF2 sounds with better sounds. Also if you wish I could add some nuances that may help, but either choice is totally up to you.
You're welcome to it!... in fact, you got PM cool
Well, you're right in that I won't be humming the tune. wink

Sonically, it sounds fine, with the occasional misfires where things don't all mesh together. That that's normal for BiaB.

I'm not hearing that dreaded "MIDI" sound, which is your whole point.

I lean towards RealTracks because there's more expression baked into the performances, but MIDI has the advantage of being more editable. There are a lot of instruments - bass, drums, keys - which work really well with MIDI, and other MIDI instruments that sound fine in short doses that don't require extensive performance sculpting.
It's a good example of midi working to create believable instrument sounds except for whatever is carrying the melody: that sounds very midi.
The bass is a little loud and gets boomy in the lower notes - that could be sorted easily enough.
Some of the nice embellishments on the right side piano are lost under the melody.
The stereo image of the drums seems a little exaggerated/wide.
That said it showcases midi abilities in a tempo that could well have exposed problems.
I liked it, I just needed more volume on the melody instrument. Sounded good overall.
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well, you're right in that I won't be humming the tune. wink
No worries, I can't even play it! grin

On the flipside, you're not likely to get an earworm from that melody anytime soon instead, so it's all good.
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I'm not hearing that dreaded "MIDI" sound, which is your whole point.
Indeed it is, an astute sum up of the intent right there, thanks for that one cool
And thanks to all I may have neglected to reply to directly, for their comments and (somewhat unusually) diverse take & opinions on this little "experiment", which admittedly got a lot more attention than I expected.
© PG Music Forums