PG Music Home
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 02/29/20 10:07 PM
Hi Folks.
A little over a year ago, a prominent member of our forum Al-David posted a song titled The Simple Things. As soon as I heard it, this tune talked to me. I wanted to try singing in this style. I was a bit nervous to approach Alan to ask for a shot at it, as some musicians are very sensitive about their work. Alan was very cool about it, and gave me tracks to practice. I recorded it and sent it to him last year. He had some turbulence helping Diana at that time, so I did not want to bother him. Recently I was sorting some folders and found the track. I sent it to Alan and he seemed to like it enough (I hope) to let me share it with forum members. My level of musicality is not remotely close to Al's, so please do not judge harshly. Think of it as a teacher ->student project. Thank you for listening!
Misha.

The Simple Things

All credit goes to Alan. Lyrics, Arrangement, recording. I just added my vocals.
I found original post with all the details about the song:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=515634&Searchpage=1&Main=74383&Words=stray&Search=true#Post515634

The Simple Things
© 2019 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Randall, BMI
Vocals by Misha.
Published with author permission.
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 02/29/20 11:51 PM
Well done Mr Spoon. Congrats to both of you
I love it.Rob4580
Posted By: rayc Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 03/01/20 02:33 AM
A fabulous interpretation Misha.
I dig it.
I remember this one, excellent songwriting from Alan!

Nice vocal, Misha, enjoyed what you did with it.
Yeah!

Gotta love these forum collabs and this is a great example of
how well they can work.

We, too, remember this excellent tune from Al and you have
assuredly done it justice.

We enjoyed both the original and your interpretation.

Well done!

J&B
Misha,

It is very cool to hear one forum member "cover" another. And nice too hear you put your own interpretation/personality into this.

Enjoyed. Well done.

fj
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 03/01/20 01:40 PM
Misha,
Very good vocals! You bring a unique flavour to Alan`s song; a little sophistication and mystery added to those simple things.
Keep stretching & showing us other sides of the Rusty Spoon.

Robert
What a good, good job! The original composition as well as the unique spin you put on it are so, so worthy of praise, in my view. You add something beautiful and melancholic to it in your interpretation, I feel - wish there was more of it, that's all. Bravi!!!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 03/02/20 03:14 AM
Hi Misha ... I've always loved the unique ability you have to bring a lyric to life. The emotional character of your voice is always an exciting pleasure. When you asked to put your touch on the song, I was both pleased and honored. This is super ... totally loved what you did with it. Thanks for your asking!

Best to you and yours ...

Alan
Rob4580, Ray, Dave, J&B , FJ, Robert, James

Thank you for your super feedback! The credit goes to Al-David . Alan and Di have very strong and diverse collection of originals. It was an honor and pleasure doing this.

Misha.
Hi Misha,

Nice phrasing and delivery on the vocal performance.

Thanks for sharing.

-James
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 03/08/20 11:31 AM
What a great song and a wonderful tribute, Misha. I really like your vocal on this and others. Since I wasn't here last year, you, of course, made me search for Alan's version. WOW! You guys are inspirational. Some of my favorite stuff on this forum is the collaborations.
Posted By: Jim Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 03/10/20 01:57 PM
A great interpretation Misha...
Its nice to hear others appreciate a songwriter's song so much...
That they want to add their own interpretation...
Good job on this one!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 03/11/20 05:45 PM
Cool jazzy version Misha. I am sure Alan loved this version. Well done
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Al-David's The Simple Things. My take. - 03/11/20 06:09 PM
Hi Misha,

It was very nice to listen to your (well recorded) voice in this lovely song.
I would like to parafrase Scott up here; I'm sure Alan would have loved your version of his song very much too.
And I did as well!

Hans
Howdy Misha....

You and Al-David have a cool, well done collab here.
Your vocal is well performed (almost haunting in an appealing way), instrumentation doesn't step on vocals.
I like the song subject..."Simple Things"....the lyrics express the range of "Simple Things" very eloquently.

Great job gents....you should be quite pleased with this one.

Carry on....
© PG Music Forums