PG Music Home
Posted By: Achordocaster NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/15/20 09:22 PM
Here's another co-write with my friend & former guitar student Kathy. We co-wrote the lyrics and everything else is on me. grin

I've been working on this for about the last month and decided I have to stop tinkering... "O.C.D." can kick in very easily for me! wink

All RT's are listed below. All lead & fill guitar parts are my Tele (Trigger). I'm doing all the vocals as well.

As always all comments welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-achord/roadtrippin

RD NashvilleEven8 a snare_hihat b snare_ride
RT 579 Bass
RT 3399 Guitar Acoustic Rhythm
RT 580 Guitar Electric Rhythm
RT 1577 Piano Acoustic
RT 2764 Organ Rhythm
RT 587 Sax Tenor
RT 588 Sax Tenor

©2020 Greg Achord & Kathy Clifford

RoadTrippin

Leavin south on 6 & 50 / headin out of town

Left everything behind / we're opportunity bound

There's ravens on the shoulder / no wind beneath their wings

It's a feast on roadkill / you never know what life will bring

(Chorus)
Don't let it pass you by / Don't let it get you down

Always keep the faith / (feet on solid ground/reach for higher ground/in what you've found)

We're road-trippin to Gunnison / yea it's a few hours away

We'll probably stop in Arrowhead / 'cause it's a place we like to play

Glancin' up towards Sargents trail / there's an eagle flyin' high

I can feel the power in it's wings / It's easy if you try

(Chorus)
(Solo)

My father told me there's a legend / of the Cimarron trail

Not far from a deep Black Canyon / Oh the stories it could tell

Look towards the river / Sapinero looms ahead

Just make it past Curecanti / then into Gunni you'll descend

(Chorus)
(Solo Out)
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/15/20 10:06 PM
Achordcaster....I gave a listen.

This style/genre is where I reside....I'm an old dude.
I'm in a similar vein.

Rockin' rhythm section/groove....mildly reminiscent of the Thunderbirds.
There's a 60's vibe I get with the chord changes at the turn around....I dig it.
Good mix of axe/sax leads.
Vocals are well performed and up front where they should be.
I could understand all the lyrics clearly....that's plus too. smile

Well done....
Posted By: Deryk - PG Music Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/16/20 11:23 AM
Nicely done - love the groove on this. Some great chord changes, and a great throwback vibe on this. Definitely getting a 60's vibe which is a good thing in my goods. It flows really well, and the tenor sax work on this is perfect.

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: floyd jane Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/16/20 07:15 PM
Greg,

Cool opening. The sax is crisp. The drums and bass are both pumping nicely.

Your vocals sound great. So do the harmonies. They both sit in the mix perfectly.

Excellent guitar work. It, too, sounds great in the mix.

A cool song. Good Rock write. And, overall, this really ROCKS.

Maybe your all-time best. Excellent. (One of the best Rock mixes I've heard on the forum, I think).

fj
Posted By: dcuny Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/16/20 08:54 PM
The bass drives this one along, and the chromatic-ish chorus is memorable.

Nice mix - there's a lot of space for instruments to be heard, and interesting things happening to keep the listener engaged.

Personally, I'd have held off on the intro with the sax flurry-o-notes for later in the song, when the song's at a higher energy point. Plus, a real sax player might think he's done his bit for the song, and wander off for a drink instead of sticking around for the other choruses. wink

I see fj disagrees with me on this point, so I'll concede that I'm probably in the wrong about this.

I enjoyed the rocking! laugh
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/16/20 09:33 PM
Nice rocker. Great use of BIAB. Good work on lyrics to both of you.
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/16/20 10:44 PM
Great song. I used to play this kinda music when I was younger and playing in the clubs!!
Posted By: jamestoffee Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/17/20 05:22 AM
Great delivery. It all fits together very well.

Thanks for sharing.

James
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/17/20 01:51 PM
Oh, yeah. Very cool opening sax; all the sax parts fit so well. Definitely hear the 60s, and I love the half steps in the chorus. Your Tele and vocals sounds great, Greg. Love the whole song!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/19/20 03:13 PM
Very cool rocker Greg!! Fun and energetic! Great vocals and tasty playing!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/19/20 04:04 PM
Man, there is a LOT to like here.

Your vocal and guitar performances are excellent and you chose a fine band to augment them.

One of the top rock productions posted here in many a moon.

We aren't gonna parse it all out. It's a fine rocker in all aspects.

Brought back memories of heading up to Crested Butte from Gunnison.

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/21/20 05:50 AM
Loved the intro. Excellent vocal. Sax was cool. Well done
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/21/20 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Achordcaster....I gave a listen.

This style/genre is where I reside....I'm an old dude.
I'm in a similar vein.

Rockin' rhythm section/groove....mildly reminiscent of the Thunderbirds.
There's a 60's vibe I get with the chord changes at the turn around....I dig it.
Good mix of axe/sax leads.
Vocals are well performed and up front where they should be.
I could understand all the lyrics clearly....that's plus too. smile

Well done....

Hey Wayne,
Thanks for the listen and comments. I believe we are of the same era... I'm an old dude too! grin I enjoyed your Adrenaline song as well.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done - love the groove on this. Some great chord changes, and a great throwback vibe on this. Definitely getting a 60's vibe which is a good thing in my goods. It flows really well, and the tenor sax work on this is perfect.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Greg,

Cool opening. The sax is crisp. The drums and bass are both pumping nicely.

Your vocals sound great. So do the harmonies. They both sit in the mix perfectly.

Excellent guitar work. It, too, sounds great in the mix.

A cool song. Good Rock write. And, overall, this really ROCKS.

Maybe your all-time best. Excellent. (One of the best Rock mixes I've heard on the forum, I think).

fj

Hey Floyd,
Thanks so much for the nice comments. I value your opinion, so it means a lot.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
The bass drives this one along, and the chromatic-ish chorus is memorable.

Nice mix - there's a lot of space for instruments to be heard, and interesting things happening to keep the listener engaged.

Personally, I'd have held off on the intro with the sax flurry-o-notes for later in the song, when the song's at a higher energy point. Plus, a real sax player might think he's done his bit for the song, and wander off for a drink instead of sticking around for the other choruses. wink

I see fj disagrees with me on this point, so I'll concede that I'm probably in the wrong about this.

I enjoyed the rocking! laugh

Thanks David. I considered doing a less "flurriess" guitar intro... But I worked for awhile putting the sax intro together, so I left it. smile

Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Nice rocker. Great use of BIAB. Good work on lyrics to both of you.

On behalf of Kathy & myself thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Great song. I used to play this kinda music when I was younger and playing in the clubs!!

Thanks for the listen Ronnie. I appreciate it.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/21/20 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Achordocaster
[quote=chulaivet1966]Hey Wayne,
Thanks for the listen and comments. I believe we are of the same era... I'm an old dude too! grin I enjoyed your Adrenaline song as well.

The "listen and comments" was my pleasure.
Good stuff....and I'm a candid dude when I comment in this context.

Many thanks for the plug/listen on Adrenaline.
I know....who in their right mind writes a song about a hormone?....pick me, pick me.
I think it's because it was incumbent of me to get accustomed to relying on it in my late teens youth so I felt it deserved some recognition. smile

I'm on the cusp of 73....whew!

Keep up the good work.
Back to topic....thanks for coming back.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/21/20 06:17 PM
Yeah, that cooked! Guitar was searing, everything else was good as well. Enjoyed it a lot. I don't usually like using a RT solo as an intro, at least it hasn't worked for me very often except with some jazzier stuff of mine. But it was pretty good here. Way to go!
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/25/20 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: jamestoffee
Great delivery. It all fits together very well.

Thanks for sharing.

James

Thanks for the listen James

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, yeah. Very cool opening sax; all the sax parts fit so well. Definitely hear the 60s, and I love the half steps in the chorus. Your Tele and vocals sounds great, Greg. Love the whole song!

Hey Marty, Thanks for the nice review.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool rocker Greg!! Fun and energetic! Great vocals and tasty playing!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. I really like your new one too.
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/25/20 11:29 PM
Hi Greg ...

So, what's not to like? Not much!!!

Everything about this is as sweet as a bowl of sugar. The mix, the tracks, the vocals, the harmony, the guitar work ... everything shines. That was a real sweet listen! loved it.

Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/26/20 07:56 AM
I'd agree that the intro sax shows your hand too early.
I'd have preferred a bluer tone for the guitar solo but that's just a preference.
God song & the cadence of the chorus is very cool.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 03/29/20 03:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Man, there is a LOT to like here.

Your vocal and guitar performances are excellent and you chose a fine band to augment them.

One of the top rock productions posted here in many a moon.

We aren't gonna parse it all out. It's a fine rocker in all aspects.

Brought back memories of heading up to Crested Butte from Gunnison.

J&B

Thank you both so much for the nice comments. I spent a lot of time gigging in Gunnison & Crested Butte back in the 1980's & '90's.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the intro. Excellent vocal. Sax was cool. Well done

Thank you Scott. Appreciate it.
Posted By: EdZ314 Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 04/04/20 07:11 PM
Wow - that was a great rock/blues experience. There's so much to like here, and it all fits together perfectly. One thing that stands out to me is that you took some risks with the chorus and melody, and those half steps in there really grab you. It's totally professional all the away through, and the lyrics are excellent and really suit the song well, so kudos to you Greg and Kathy. I could easily imagine this song in an opening act for a major blues/rock band in front of a huge crowd.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 04/06/20 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Yeah, that cooked! Guitar was searing, everything else was good as well. Enjoyed it a lot. I don't usually like using a RT solo as an intro, at least it hasn't worked for me very often except with some jazzier stuff of mine. But it was pretty good here. Way to go!

Thank you sir.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Greg ...

So, what's not to like? Not much!!!

Everything about this is as sweet as a bowl of sugar. The mix, the tracks, the vocals, the harmony, the guitar work ... everything shines. That was a real sweet listen! loved it.

Best to you ...

Alan

Hey Alan, thanks for the listen & the very nice comments.

Originally Posted By: rayc
I'd agree that the intro sax shows your hand too early.
I'd have preferred a bluer tone for the guitar solo but that's just a preference.
Good song & the cadence of the chorus is very cool.

Hey ray, thanks for the review. I tend to agree on the sax intro, but by the time I felt that way my motivation to change it wasn't really there. laugh I also considered a different tone for the guitar solo, but then decided to leave it.
Posted By: Belladonna Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 04/06/20 01:57 PM
Love the imagery lyrics of a road trip. So neat how it takes you along in the song. Good co-write.
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 04/15/20 03:41 PM
Originally Posted By: EdZ314
Wow - that was a great rock/blues experience. There's so much to like here, and it all fits together perfectly. One thing that stands out to me is that you took some risks with the chorus and melody, and those half steps in there really grab you. It's totally professional all the away through, and the lyrics are excellent and really suit the song well, so kudos to you Greg and Kathy. I could easily imagine this song in an opening act for a major blues/rock band in front of a huge crowd.

Ed, thanks so much for the wonderful review. I (we) very much appreciate your kind words!

Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Love the imagery lyrics of a road trip. So neat how it takes you along in the song. Good co-write.

Thank you Belladonna. It's a pretty accurate image of the road trip from my house to Gunnison.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 04/15/20 06:46 PM
Greg, I like that laid back sound on the top with the busy rhythm section underneath! That really works for me! The guitar work is stellar! Tone and playing! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Achordocaster Re: NEW Original Song "RoadTrippin" - 04/23/20 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Greg, I like that laid back sound on the top with the busy rhythm section underneath! That really works for me! The guitar work is stellar! Tone and playing! Thanks, Torrey

Torrey, Thanks for the listen and the wonderful compliments! At first I thought the bass line was a little too busy, but as I gave it time it grew on me. grin
© PG Music Forums