PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/22/20 09:54 AM
Back to straight I-IV-V blues for this one, nothing fancy or clever, just having some fun!

Good Times Roll

Marty Straub, aka BabuMusic, is playing bass on this and in my opinion he knocked it out of the park! Chris and I both love what he brought to the song and hopefully we will work together again soon.

The rest of the band:

As always the entire song was built initially using BIAB.

~675:Organ, B3, Background Blues Monday Sw 065

I used EZDrummer2 for the drum track using a midi pack from Groove Monkey, and I'm playing the rhythm and lead guitar parts.

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone 9.

Good Times Roll - Christiane Spruit, 2020

Good time Roll
And good times go
I won't let go
I‘ll be there

We all have times
Down, Deep, low
In all these times
I won’t go

Good Times Roll
And good times will go
Down, Deep or low
No , no I won’t go

Bridge/Solo

Good Times Roll
And good times go
When you feel down and weary
I won’t let go

Also up on SoundCloud (sound not as good) here: Good Times Roll on SoundCloud

As always we appreciate all comments.

Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/22/20 10:07 AM
Well that was tasty! Given the names involved, I expected nothing less. It's kind of strange to have an expectation when you see certain names (high expectations). They deliver in the way you expect in certain aspects (fantastic); but always seem to find a way to surprise you (it's not the same ol' samd ol'.) I hope that makes sense.

Performances, production, TONE, arrangement...you name it. All really great!

Marty did hit it out of the park! So did the other two players on his team! Three heavy hitters on one track will do that.

Thanks for sharing this. So great to hear!

-Caaron
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/22/20 10:12 AM
Dave, Chris, Marty...

Oh. Yea.

EVERY part of this is EXCEPTIONAL. Pro level all around.

Bass - Wowser.
Guitar - As good as it gets.
Drums and organ - wonderful as always.
Vocal - Out. Of. The. Park.
Mix - Stellar.

Chris' vocal is awesome. You must have used something new and magical to process it...it seems to be somewhere just above my head AND all around me - bright and bold, sitting "up front" and "tucked in the mix" at the same time. Extraordinary.

Blues does not get better than this.

fj
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/22/20 11:12 AM
And the two teams collide!
Dave & Chris + Marty. Very happy you are trying out things! Excellent first collaboration gig! Sounds natural, as I am standing by stage. You as a group can do some kick #ss blues. Perhaps two voices female + male next time ? smile
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/22/20 04:08 PM
What can I say?

The Blue Attitude team continues to set the bar very high. Marty's delivery is exceptional.

This is no exception either. Real Blues, with feeling. Superb.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/22/20 06:32 PM
This is such a well-written song, Dave. The guitars sound perfect, as always, and Chris' voice is a breath of beautiful blues. Man, you guys are fun. Thanks for letting play along, and thanks everyone for the kind words.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/22/20 07:11 PM
Dave,Chris & Marty,
Wow, BlueAttitude has a new bassist- and you three sound like you were playing blues from the cradle!
There`s a spontaneity about this that`s a little different to my way of hearing- more than a jam, but relaxed enough to be a rehearsal. I agree with Floyd there`s something about the vocal quality that got my attention;a little further back, more reverb??
Very, very good.

Robert
Posted By: PeterF Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 02:48 AM
Dave Chris Marty

A lovely blues production, all parts work well separately and together.
Dave - some stellar playing
Chris - excellent vocal
Marty -loved hearing a expertly played bass track

Great work all round.

Peter
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Well that was tasty! Given the names involved, I expected nothing less. It's kind of strange to have an expectation when you see certain names (high expectations). They deliver in the way you expect in certain aspects (fantastic); but always seem to find a way to surprise you (it's not the same ol' samd ol'.) I hope that makes sense.

Performances, production, TONE, arrangement...you name it. All really great!

Marty did hit it out of the park! So did the other two players on his team! Three heavy hitters on one track will do that.

Thanks for sharing this. So great to hear!

-Caaron

Yes, the addition of Marty to the track really lifted the song up a notch I think. Not that there was anything wrong with the realtrack I initially was using, it's just cool having someone play something song specific instead of a generic bass line.

Thanks very much, Caaron!
Posted By: ROG Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 02:50 PM
Hi Guys,

Raw, basic, aggressive and wonderful.

All the elements which go to make up a classic, slow blues, are in there
and done to perfection.

A powerful backing track, supporting a terrific vocal delivery and in a great blues key - pretty much
my favourite key for playing blues lead.

Loved it.

ROG.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 03:51 PM
So BlueAttitude tilts a bit more toward the blues side of blues rock for this one!

Man, that's some passionate playing and singing. Oozing soul....

Chris' voice, always excellent, really soars on this one as it seems more
up front in a good way.

And Marty's bass part sits in so nicely. Just the right note choice and nothing
over the top for the arrangement and feel. Makes me wish I'd stayed with
electric a bit longer when venturing out from the bass fiddle smile

And an excellent blues lyric. It sets the mood with relatively few words as we
feel the style should.

Standout!

J&B
Posted By: dani48 Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 04:06 PM
Hi, Dave, Christiane and Marty !

What a pro and superb handling
of a masterpiece of blues !
I am awed ! WOW !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 08:18 PM
Basic blues that packed a good wallop. I had that "feel comfortable" quality about it, but breathed smoke in the vocals and leads. I like Marty's half-step movement throughout...a bit unusual and outside and entertaining in it's own right for that. Good one, guys.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 08:35 PM
This is blues at its finest!

I am a big blues fan and you three knocked this one out of park. Great backing tracks, guitars (as usual), and a vocal that just couldn't be any better!

You three might want to contact Alligator records. They only produce blues CDs and this is better than many of their current recording artists.

Outstanding song.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/23/20 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dave, Chris, Marty...

Oh. Yea.

EVERY part of this is EXCEPTIONAL. Pro level all around.

Bass - Wowser.
Guitar - As good as it gets.
Drums and organ - wonderful as always.
Vocal - Out. Of. The. Park.
Mix - Stellar.

Chris' vocal is awesome. You must have used something new and magical to process it...it seems to be somewhere just above my head AND all around me - bright and bold, sitting "up front" and "tucked in the mix" at the same time. Extraordinary.

Blues does not get better than this.

fj

Thank you, Floyd! Man, you have no idea how much reading comments like that mean to us smile

For the vocal I went back to the same signal chain I’ve been using for the last year or so (I deviated slightly from that for the last song we did) which is basically the saturation, eq, compression, and de-esser modules from Nectar 3, followed by Waves Vocal rider.

The output from that track gets routed to a separate reverb bus and a separate delay bus. The reverb bus uses the reverb module from nectar 2. The delay bus has the waves delay plugin followed by the reaper compression plug-in sidechained from the main vocal which really brings down the delay while the vocal is active. I control the excessive delay tails via volume envelopes.

I would never claim to be great at mixing but I’m old and retired so have lots of free time on my hands to dedicate to experimenting with stuff :p
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/24/20 06:20 PM
WOW!!!! What a song!!! What playing!!! What singing.....Chris has never been this good before.....always very good, but never this good!! You guys NAILED it!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/24/20 06:26 PM
Cleverly done, cleverly sung, clever production and it is a basic bold blues with a good three piece .

Thanks
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/24/20 11:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
And the two teams collide!
Dave & Chris + Marty. Very happy you are trying out things! Excellent first collaboration gig! Sounds natural, as I am standing by stage. You as a group can do some kick #ss blues. Perhaps two voices female + male next time ? smile
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Hey Misha,

Well, I’m a big fan of collaborations as you know after doing a few with you!

Lots of fun, always, and for me that’s what’s important.

Who knows what the future might bring. Marty is not able to record vocals at the moment due to his current living situation, but that will change once the pandemic is over.

Best to you and your young family during these difficult times!
Posted By: Al-David Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/24/20 11:36 PM
What I enjoy so much about this forum is the unquestioned excellence in music here that should have a much wider audience. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Everything is what and where it should be. When it comes to the execution of recording technicalities and such, I am little more than an frustrated rookie. But my ears know perfection they hear it. I just heard it.

Chris, Dave & Marty ... this song could not have been conceived, arranged and performed more brilliantly than you folks managed to do. As someone mentioned earlier, whether we realize it or not, we have immediate expectations when we hear/read certain names. I always anticipate a fabulous listen when i click onto a Blue Attitude song. I'm never disappointed. And this one exceeds even my highest expectations.

A tip of the hat and an amazed WOW! to all three of you.

Take car and be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Scott C Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/25/20 01:36 PM
This by far is my favourite genre. All I can say is perfect. Perfect vocal, perfect guitar, perfect bass and mix. I just loved this. Well done
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/25/20 02:16 PM
Sounds great guys and Chris!

Awesome tone!

smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/25/20 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
What can I say?

The Blue Attitude team continues to set the bar very high. Marty's delivery is exceptional.

This is no exception either. Real Blues, with feeling. Superb.

Appreciate that, thanks, Trev!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/25/20 08:42 PM
Mmm, mmm, good. Mmm, mmm, good. This collaboration is mmm, mmm, good! Song to the tune of that soup commercial from yesteryear.

You all hit this out of the park---Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds on steroids.

Top to bottom left to right, this performance is primo, this performance is hot, hot, hot. One of the best from you guys.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/26/20 08:57 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
This is such a well-written song, Dave. The guitars sound perfect, as always, and Chris' voice is a breath of beautiful blues. Man, you guys are fun. Thanks for letting play along, and thanks everyone for the kind words.

Hey Marty,
My pleasure! It was great having you along for the ride, and we will hopefully do it again soon wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/26/20 05:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Dave,Chris & Marty,
Wow, BlueAttitude has a new bassist- and you three sound like you were playing blues from the cradle!
There`s a spontaneity about this that`s a little different to my way of hearing- more than a jam, but relaxed enough to be a rehearsal. I agree with Floyd there`s something about the vocal quality that got my attention;a little further back, more reverb??
Very, very good.

Robert

I may have a little more reverb on the vocal than I normally use, not sure. But the signal chain is pretty much the same as I’ve used for the last year or so.

Thanks, Robert!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/27/20 02:00 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave Chris Marty

A lovely blues production, all parts work well separately and together.
Dave - some stellar playing
Chris - excellent vocal
Marty -loved hearing a expertly played bass track

Great work all round.

Peter

Collaborations are always fun, as you well know!

Thanks, Peter.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/27/20 09:35 PM
What's not to like? Both you and Chris really stretch out on this one, Dave and it's great to hear Marty joining the party. Tasty indeed.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: jptjptjpt Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/28/20 12:13 AM
Great bluesy vibe. Wonderful vocals. Professional lead guitar. Bass sounds outstanding. Great recording. Nice job everyone.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/28/20 08:34 AM
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

What a strong song you made here!!!
Not only Marty hits the park here, but Chris did as well with an even more powerfull voice now!
And let's not forget you, Dave. You managed to create a wonderfull Blues (again).
It's a pity it is to early here when listening to your song. Otherwise I would be lying on my sofa with some booze enjoying this song, and a lot of others from your hand, Dave. Or maybe just with a glass of red wine...

Have a nice day at home again, all of you,
Hans
Posted By: CaptainMoto Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/28/20 11:07 PM
Now that's some Blues!

Well produced and well performed.

Some good guitar work to boot!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/29/20 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Guys,

Raw, basic, aggressive and wonderful.

All the elements which go to make up a classic, slow blues, are in there
and done to perfection.

A powerful backing track, supporting a terrific vocal delivery and in a great blues key - pretty much
my favourite key for playing blues lead.

Loved it.

ROG.

Yes, 'G' is my favorite also for blues, followed by 'C'. But we pick keys for vocals reasons, I just happened to get lucky on this one wink

Thanks, ROG!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/29/20 11:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
So BlueAttitude tilts a bit more toward the blues side of blues rock for this one!

Man, that's some passionate playing and singing. Oozing soul....

Chris' voice, always excellent, really soars on this one as it seems more
up front in a good way.

And Marty's bass part sits in so nicely. Just the right note choice and nothing
over the top for the arrangement and feel. Makes me wish I'd stayed with

And an excellent blues lyric. It sets the mood with relatively few words as we
feel the style should.

Standout!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud smile

And never too late to get into playing electric bass, Bud! I’ll bet after playing that standup you would find it pretty easy to get into playing electric.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/29/20 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Dave, Christiane and Marty !

What a pro and superb handling
of a masterpiece of blues !
I am awed ! WOW !

Cheers
Dani

Hey Dani, thanks for stopping in! Hope things are well with you and yours.
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/29/20 11:35 PM
Let the good times roll indeed! Great blues and performance by everyone.
Thanks for posting.

Mike B.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/30/20 06:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Basic blues that packed a good wallop. I had that "feel comfortable" quality about it, but breathed smoke in the vocals and leads. I like Marty's half-step movement throughout...a bit unusual and outside and entertaining in it's own right for that. Good one, guys.

Yeah, I liked that bass part too for the same reason.

Thanks, Tang! wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/30/20 06:15 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
This is blues at its finest!

I am a big blues fan and you three knocked this one out of park. Great backing tracks, guitars (as usual), and a vocal that just couldn't be any better!

You three might want to contact Alligator records. They only produce blues CDs and this is better than many of their current recording artists.

Outstanding song.

Hi Mario,
I'm not sure about the Alligator comment, they have some pretty big names in blues on that label. But heck, I'll take it!
Thanks very much, I appreciate it wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/30/20 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!!! What a song!!! What playing!!! What singing.....Chris has never been this good before.....always very good, but never this good!! You guys NAILED it!!! Take care. Greg

Very nice of you to say so, Greg, thanks! wink
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 04/30/20 09:53 PM
Wow! This is good! Really Good!

Very tastefully done. Can't find a thing wrong with it!

So glad I got around to giving this a listen!

Steve
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 05/01/20 04:42 AM
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Cleverly done, cleverly sung, clever production and it is a basic bold blues with a good three piece .

Thanks

Thanks for the listen and comment!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 05/01/20 04:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
What I enjoy so much about this forum is the unquestioned excellence in music here that should have a much wider audience. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Everything is what and where it should be. When it comes to the execution of recording technicalities and such, I am little more than an frustrated rookie. But my ears know perfection they hear it. I just heard it.

Chris, Dave & Marty ... this song could not have been conceived, arranged and performed more brilliantly than you folks managed to do. As someone mentioned earlier, whether we realize it or not, we have immediate expectations when we hear/read certain names. I always anticipate a fabulous listen when i click onto a Blue Attitude song. I'm never disappointed. And this one exceeds even my highest expectations.

A tip of the hat and an amazed WOW! to all three of you.

Take car and be safe ...

Alan

Wonderful review, thanks very much Alan!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 05/01/20 04:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This by far is my favourite genre. All I can say is perfect. Perfect vocal, perfect guitar, perfect bass and mix. I just loved this. Well done

Me too, blues has been my favorite genre since I first heard it back in the 70's. Thanks very much, Scott!

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Sounds great guys and Chris!

Awesome tone!

smile

Cheers, David!

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Mmm, mmm, good. Mmm, mmm, good. This collaboration is mmm, mmm, good! Song to the tune of that soup commercial from yesteryear.

You all hit this out of the park---Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds on steroids.

Top to bottom left to right, this performance is primo, this performance is hot, hot, hot. One of the best from you guys.

Thanks for stopping by, happy you liked this!

Originally Posted By: Leon1
What's not to like? Both you and Chris really stretch out on this one, Dave and it's great to hear Marty joining the party. Tasty indeed.
Regards,
Leon

Yes, it was fun having Marty on board. Thanks, Leon!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 05/01/20 04:53 AM
Originally Posted By: jptjptjpt
Great bluesy vibe. Wonderful vocals. Professional lead guitar. Bass sounds outstanding. Great recording. Nice job everyone.

Thanks for the listen and comment jpt*3!

Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave, Chris and Marty,

What a strong song you made here!!!
Not only Marty hits the park here, but Chris did as well with an even more powerfull voice now!
And let's not forget you, Dave. You managed to create a wonderfull Blues (again).
It's a pity it is to early here when listening to your song. Otherwise I would be lying on my sofa with some booze enjoying this song, and a lot of others from your hand, Dave. Or maybe just with a glass of red wine...

Have a nice day at home again, all of you,
Hans

Hi Hans, well no reason you can't listen to it again in the evening and enjoy a drink or two wink

Thanks, I'm happy you liked this one!

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
Now that's some Blues!

Well produced and well performed.

Some good guitar work to boot!

Thanks, Captain!

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Let the good times roll indeed! Great blues and performance by everyone.
Thanks for posting.

Mike B.

Cheers, Mike!

Originally Posted By: Steve Young
Wow! This is good! Really Good!

Very tastefully done. Can't find a thing wrong with it!

So glad I got around to giving this a listen!

Steve

Hi Steve, it's not very often that you listen to one of our songs. Thanks!
Posted By: tommyad Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 05/01/20 03:43 PM
The five standout elements of this fine blues are as follows; smokin well played guitar by someone clearly clearly knowledgeable in the genre. Obviously Dave you have been a student of the three kings, Garry Moore and Bonnamassa. You are hitting your stride these days in your playing and your productions are continuing to new heights! #3 is Marty’s superb bass lines. Nothing happens without a solid bottom. #4 & 5 Chris’s solid writing and exquisite vocal are outstanding. Definitely one of your best collabs. Tom
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Good Times Roll /with BabuMusic - 05/03/20 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Makes me wish I'd stayed with

Standout!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud smile

And never too late to get into playing electric bass, Bud! I’ll bet after playing that standup you would find it pretty easy to get into playing electric.

Thanks, Bud. I had to sell my upright cuz it wouldn't fit in the cabs when they started using smaller cars. smile Dave's right about finger strength. DO it!
© PG Music Forums