PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/20/20 06:34 PM
https://soundcloud.com/user-47797156/dont-push-too-far

This is a remix of an older song with the original stems (run through my Kurzweil) and an RD substitute track. I made it right after I discovered "pushes". Not one to be subtle about these things, I used a LOT of them and from such came the name. I also used a boatload of sus4 chords, but "(Don't) Sus4 Too Much" is a terrible name for a piece.

It was a (mostly) failed attempt to do a The Doobie Brothers-style instrumental such as can be found on their Stampede Album. I was more proficient actually doing the doo...well, you know. But I tried.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Push Me Too Far
File:Push Me Too Far.MGU
Key=G , Tempo 120, Length (m:s)=3:34
8 bar intro, 32 bar chorus, from bar 9 to bar 40. Repeat x3 choruses
Melody has 414 notes, saved patch is Alto Sax (66)
Soloist track has 879 notes, saved patch is Fiddle (111), embedded patch on track is Vibes (12), at bar 24
Style is BEEBROK4.STY (BeeB Rock 4 Variation)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Finger Electric Bass (34), Electric Piano (5), Clean Electric Guit (28), Strings (49),
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)

RealDrums will be substituted :RockEven8: a: Snare, HiHat b: Snare busy, HiHat

I don't know what happened to the fiddle, strings, and vibes, but the SAX melody ran through a guitar patch.

I mixed in Reaper until my earlobes detached. I used multi-band compression for the first time--primarily on the keys and back-ground guitar. I used ReaTune to pitch-shift a guitar note in two places. If I hadn't, the guitar would not be hitting that high G. You can't do an official unofficial The Doobie Brothers-style song without a high.

G.

I don't do that any more, I had fun making it. I had fun remembering how I made it. And I even had a bit of fun mixing it. I hope you have fun listening. I'm all done and stuff now.

Posted By: Scott C Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/20/20 07:27 PM
Excellent song has a cool groove to it. Well doe
Posted By: Al-David Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/21/20 02:22 AM
Good Evening ...

Cool sounds you put together! As Scott said ,,, the groove is spot on. That was a good listen! Be safe ....

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/21/20 02:52 AM
Nice groove and sounds except for the intro in which the solo instrument sounded veru rushed and out of character with what came after.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/21/20 06:50 AM
Yes, killer groove as others have mentioned.

A good listen, went well with my first coffee of the day wink
Posted By: Robertkc Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/21/20 06:57 PM
I like the energy and the bass tone; I`m no expert on the DB`s but enjoyed the bounce and "push" of the rhythm on this. Sounds better than a try to me.

Robert
Posted By: MarioD Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/21/20 08:57 PM
This is really cool. Super groove and excellent use of RTs and MIDI.

I really like this!

Good job!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/21/20 10:43 PM
Tangmo,
very challenging and adventurous tune! Pretty wild stuff. Equally enjoyed my listen and reading cryptic footnotes. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/22/20 11:36 AM
"Groove" seems to be the word of the day. And the right one.

...which makes this an enjoyable listen. Everything works.

fj
Posted By: Ronnie Fields Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/22/20 11:48 AM
Sounds great, however you can tell a difference between the Midi and Real Tracks, but nicely done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/26/20 11:32 AM
Well we will pile on with "groove" as being THE word.

Guess it's the pushes that give it such a cool feel but
they are above my paygrade smile

Love the title and the whole piece!

J&B
Posted By: Birchwood Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/26/20 05:16 PM
Hello Tangmo,

I have to say, this is something different!
To be honest, it took me some tones from the start, but then the bassguitar got my attention and all the other instruments followed soon after. The result was that my feet started to tap. If that happens it's a good sign, Tangmo!

Your description in your post was delightful. You had fun making the song, how you did it, what happened underway, and for whatever more reasons. Can't recall someone wrote about this 'funfactory' like you did.
Your bandchoice was a good one. And i agree with you about the strings. Haven't heard from them in your song.

Hans
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/26/20 07:36 PM
A very groovy tune!!! Catchy and energetic!! Well conceived and executed!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: PeterF Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/26/20 08:30 PM
Enjoyed it like the previous reviewers, well constructed and produced.

Good stuff.

Peter
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: (Don't) Push Too Far - 05/29/20 09:50 PM
Sounded good to me, a vocal might be cool except that you hit a wall with this and I know that feeling. Most of my projects hit the wall and never even make it onto the showcase. I only put up the so-called good stuff. Impressed that you learned what a push is, I read about them but can't figure out to use them well.
© PG Music Forums