PG Music Home
Posted By: Tangmo Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/20/20 12:15 PM
Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun

Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun (Progressive Bhairavan)

Composed by Thisura Samarakoon and played by Pamath Praveena with Farfetched Tangmo Band.

https://www.fiverr.com/workingspot
musiola.com

****** Song Summary *************
Key=A , Tempo 86, Length (m:s)=2:58
No intro. 30 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 30. Repeat x2 choruses

RealTracks in song: 1009:Bass, Electric, HardRockThrash Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 641:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockThrash Ev 085 (B:sync)
RealTracks in song: 640:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockThrash Ev 085 (A:16ths)
RealTracks in song: 1840:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveMellow Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2761:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockHeavy16thsMurrayA-B Ev16 090
RealTracks in song: 2760:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockHeavy16thsHighMurray Ev16 090
RealDrums [in Song:RockThrashHalfTimeEv16^5-a:Snare, Open HiHat , b:Snare, Crash Ride

I'd seem a few videos/introductions to the Byzantine scale with limited examples of how to harmonize (build chords) to support it. I finally hit on one that gave several suggestions on top of a good overview.

Here's a text link for any interested.

https://pianoscales.org/byzantine.html

The Byzantine scale is know as "Bhairav" in Indian classical music--hence the subtitle. I believe it is also referred to as the Double Harmonic Minor scale.

Ordinarily, in pieces not culturally appropriated by internet amateurs, the melody is played over a drone of either the root note of the key or the I Chord--in this case, A major. I wanted to keep the timbre of a drone, but have the backing change chords.

I borrowed heavily from a video lesson and added his knowledge to my own experience in attempting to create emotionally compelling progressions and "harmonized" this scale in the key of A. If it is "showing off" to use more than three chords, then I am a swinging exhibitionist. I used all 7. Most are triads, but I snuck in a V7b5b9 because it was recommended. Happily, at least two of the guitars played the thing.

Satisfied, I went to Fiverr.com to seek a flute player to wail over my progression. One of the first to reply is based in Sri Lanka. It turns out "he" is a team of two. I listened to their samples and liked what I heard, so they got the gig.

I have to tell you, that after a bit of a slow start as they tried to interpret my intentions, they were off to the races and what they delivered was beyond my expectations. Me and my skinny amateur butt are very proud to present it here under their names and banner.

There is an alternative view of this process floating around on these boards. If you prefer to interpret everything according to that, feel free.

My ear is not nearly so good as to proclaim every note in this is in the scale, but they followed the chords (which are) in what guitar-speak would call "chord tone soloing", and I'm confident they both understood and followed the purpose of the project--flutish "grace-notes" being the possible exception. (Can you imagine an expressive flute solo without them?)

I mixed this in Reaper, a process that is somewhat over my head. I'm not used to mixing so loud for the sake of loud, and I hope that the backing isn't more annoying than I intended. The guitars were pretty crispy right out of the box, but I compressed + gained them a little further, bounced them to one track and enhanced the stereo spread somewhat.

Compression + gain was also used on the flute, primarily so I could boost the quieter bits to get that flavor in Pamath Praveena's play audible against the wall of distorted guitars.

The opening was a mix of drone (also created in BIAB with every low-pitched, held instrument I could locate and fit in the mixer) and part of the mix I sent to Fiverr--both reversed.

EQ adjustments were also on every track. The drums got a bit of stereo widening as well.

Enjoy, if possible. It's still worming it's way through my mind's ears and has never failed to get me going.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/20/20 01:40 PM
Tangmo,
Very cool and different! Amazing collaboration. Man you got lucky with duo, it feels like they done exactly how you imagined it, at least it sounds like it smile
It reminded me of music my one of my favorite fusion musician Ananda Shankar, but yours is a bit harder and of course bears your signature. Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/20/20 03:18 PM
I liked the driving thrash backing and the flavour given by your talented flute player.
A very uneducated response to your sophisticated brief for this... but it works on a more visceral level for me!
The only rock equivalent band with a good flute lead I can think of is Quintessence ( English, late 60`s).
My favourite part comes at 2:45 - nice dynamics there and for the intro.

Robert
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/20/20 04:11 PM
Hello Tangmo,

A special, but interesting composition. It takes getting used to, but then it stays around you (me). At least for some time!
It's probably because of the fluteplayer. He did a wonderful job!

I want to add something to what Robbert wrote about a Rockband with a flute. In the '70's there was a (Dutch) band called Focus. Thijs van Leer played the flute. They became very famous.

Are you sure he wasn't in this song?

Hans
Posted By: PeterF Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/20/20 07:47 PM
Thanks for the detailed description - very interesting approach and project.

I really enjoyed the listen, well done to all involved - and a very clever composition,

Peter
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/21/20 11:09 AM
Tangmo,

That a whole lot of description of the process!!

In response, I'll simply say... This is very cool, well done. A really good mix.

And a terrific listen! Very much enjoyed that.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/21/20 11:25 AM
Very cool backtrack and the fellow playing the flute is excellent. Well done
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/21/20 07:52 PM
Beautiful work Tangmo! That had time very time consuming but the result was worth it! That Eastern sounding melody is mesmerizing! Big applause here! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/21/20 08:21 PM
As Misha wrote, AMAZING. Your flute players brought the whole thing to life.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/22/20 01:36 AM
Tangmo ...

I always enjoy hearing something new and unusual. This perfectly fits that bill!

I love the drive that never allows the energy to relent. And your flute guys delivered in spades. I can easily envision this as a Soundtrack piece. Really, really nice, my friend!

Wishing you the best. Be safe ...

Alan
Posted By: Chris Dent Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/22/20 03:28 AM
This is really cool Tangmo. I really enjoyed my listen.

I also checked out your page and listened to some of your other tracks. I really like the song about the mountain...

I'm just heading off to check out that link to the Byzantine scale....
Posted By: rayc Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/22/20 04:18 AM
A very cool track. The flutes are ace...grace notes are, as the name implied, given grace an permission to be there and do add expression and a little tension.
My only suggestion would be to take some of the fizzy top end from the guitars- it's the sort of thing that creates hearing fatigue and is also VERY common with guitar tracks generated through sims rather than an amp n mic.
REALLY enjoyable stuff.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/22/20 09:38 AM
Very different! And very cool indeed.

Progression is cool, as is the arrangement, and man the flute!

Yeah, I like this. Well done!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/23/20 08:30 AM
Very different. Very enjoyable. Very well done.

Lots of 'Very' comments, but all intended with good meaning. I liked the complexity you have delivered. So much to appreciate, musically.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/23/20 03:21 PM
"Me and my skinny amateur butt are very proud to present it here under their names and banner."

If you consider this production from an amateur then I have no idea where that leaves J&B ... rubes out in the provinces I guess smile This seems extremely complex to us.

The juxtaposing of the flutes against the thrash rhythmic is remarkable both in sound and creativity.

We really enjoyed our listens and the backstory is worth the price of admission!

J&B
Posted By: Tangmo Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/25/20 12:06 PM
Thanks, all. I certainly agree with assessments about the flute. Though I'd go beyond saying it "makes" the piece to say that, as it exists now in the universe, it IS the piece.

I typed a lot about the scale and the "notes", but what really sets this play apart is the exquisite attention to the rhythm.

Robert and Hans. I'll have to look those bands up. I got my first taste of "adult" music with Jethro Tull, so flute in a rock setting is in my blood. And, Robert, trust me...MY reaction is visceral too. It's just not easy to type excitement.

I appreciate the comments and have passed along compliments to my Sri Lankan comrades.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/25/20 02:23 PM
hi Tangmo very engaging great work love the flute supper listen thanks eric
Posted By: jannesan Re: Surya Ravaya--Sound of the Sun - 06/25/20 03:14 PM
Your description is very technical, to me it doesn't matter are the chords or scales orthodox by the book, more important is the landscape you are painting and here the collaboration really paints a vivid image that I cannot place on the map. And there lies its beauty, strange but creative chording, heavy guitars, power drums and eastern flutes is a very intriguing cross-over of styles, true world music - I enjoyed the travel.

Janne
© PG Music Forums